BellaOnline
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Acrylic or Oil Paint? - 04/06/08 10:03 PM
I prefer to paint in acrylics because they work as well as oils, but dry much quicker and with easier clean up. I spray my paintings with a protective coating to give them a nice sheen and they usually take on a more oil-like look then. What is your preference, acrylic or oil paint?
Posted By: Lady J Re: Acrylic or Oil Paint? - 04/06/08 10:10 PM
I like both. Depends on what I'd like to do (paint) that I choose the paint type.
Posted By: Helen Doll Making Editor Re: Acrylic or Oil Paint? - 04/06/08 11:41 PM
I agree, Jase. I like acrylics if I want a more watercolor effect and for crafts. For a serious canvas, I prefer oils.
Posted By: elle Re: Acrylic or Oil Paint? - 04/10/08 11:35 PM
I really love acrylics. They're so versatile, but I also have a fondness for gouache and watercolour. I don't have the patience for oils.
Posted By: Carol- Today In History Re: Acrylic or Oil Paint? - 04/11/08 01:48 AM
I love the wonders of mixed media. I am a watercolorist at heart, but I have started adding acrylics and inks into my painting. I also love to mix paint and pencils.
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: Acrylic or Oil Paint? - 04/11/08 02:42 PM
I'm definitely a mixed media enthusiast. I often use beads, jewelry and feathers in my paintings along with my acrylics to really add new life and pop to my paintings. Some kinds of paintings just need those little extras added to them. I just let the painting speak to me after it's done and if it say's "adorn me with more" I break out the feathers, beads and recycled jewelry. The only draw back to mixed media is after some years, your glued on objects get dusty on your paintings and you have to get 'creative' in figuring out how to dust them off. But I think it's a small sacrifice to make for the incredible unique results you get with mixed media projects.
Posted By: Helen Doll Making Editor Re: Acrylic or Oil Paint? - 04/11/08 03:13 PM
Hi Deb,

How about a make-up brush, like a big blush brush? It would be soft enough to get into the crevices without knocking the items off the canvas.:)
Posted By: SpiritualArtist Re: Acrylic or Oil Paint? - 04/11/08 07:13 PM
Helen -
Thanks for that great suggestion. I hadn't even thought of that. That would really be great for dusting the beads and jewelry and if I'm careful, even my feathers. I'm going to try that idea! smile
Posted By: Adam_jsr Re: Acrylic or Oil Paint? - 05/09/08 01:28 PM
Hi,

I would always go for oil paintings it gives me original feeling when i am trying to draw my own photos to canvas. Oil colors are very much useful than another colors scheme. I had tried it with a lot of different ways but at last i got satisfaction from only & only oil colors.

Thanks

Adam
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: Acrylic or Oil Paint? - 05/09/08 02:02 PM
Acrylics for me.
© BellaOnline Forums