BellaOnline
Posted By: Lynn Ann Travel Journals - 10/18/09 12:34 AM
I just found out what traveling journals are and wonder if anybody else has been part of one. As I understand it, tkhey are mailed all over the world and different people write in them and pass them on. That follows the lines of a book reading idea I had but have yet to facillitate. Response?
Posted By: Angie Re: Travel Journals - 10/18/09 02:36 AM
I don't know about this kind of travel journal, but, I keep a detailed journal when we travel. I make notes about what we see, my impressions, the weather, the food. It is helpful when we return home as we write up a detailed report of our trip and add it to the picture collection.
Posted By: Lynn Ann Re: Travel Journals - 10/18/09 09:52 PM
Yes, my husband and I keep that kind of travel journal. I was suprised when I looked it over and realized it wasn't what I expected.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Travel Journals - 11/02/09 12:46 AM
That is interesting - I've always thought travel journals were journals you carried with you when you went on a trip. It's interesting that the name means two different things.

There should be another kind of name for a shared journal, like "group created journal" or something smile
Posted By: Angie Re: Travel Journals - 11/02/09 01:43 AM
It's a community blog on paper.
Posted By: Angie-cosmetics editor Re: Travel Journals - 11/02/09 10:42 AM
There is a difference.

Travel journals are the traditional journals that a someone carries to record a trip.

Traveling (the "ing" makes the difference) journals are shared among many people, sometimes with friends, sometimes with people all over the world.

I have a traveling art journal that has been gone five years, has been in 11 countries, is back in the U.S., and on the way to me finally. I can't wait to get it back because it is not only text, but full of pictures and artwork. Some of the people in the group has uploaded pictures of their work before mailing so I could have a taste of what the journal looks like. It is FAT now! In the five years, I have worked in 13 other journals in this group, keeping each one for several months. The original group was twenty, but some dropped out or their journals were lost early on. I have been sweating since mine has been back in the U.S. because I am afraid something will happen to it before it gets to me.

I can't wait to start another one. I'd like to send one to all 50 states.

I have a second traveling journal that travels back and forth between me and a best friend. We swap it out the last week of every month.

You can see traveling journal ideas at 1001 Journals, as well as on LiveJournal groups.

Posted By: Yarnplay Re: Travel Journals - 11/08/09 07:07 AM
I love the idea of the traveling journal, but I'm too selfish to let mine go around the world, I'd be too scared all that lovely artwork from others would get lost or damaged in the post! I also did a travel journal last year, it was when we went to the country to a relative for a week. I did lots of writing and little pictures of things. It started with packed suitcases, then the roadsigns, our arrival and on and on. I'm no artist but that journal still gives me pleasure and a good laugh to look back over!!
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Travel Journals - 11/09/09 05:42 AM
My husband and I have our retirement all planned. We will take an old-fashioned travel trailer or RV, and we plan to journey across the western US on the old Route 66, journaling all the way. He's a very good photographer so I'll do the words and he'll do the pictures. I'll post it to a blog or website and update it every day. Of course, it will be awhile before we can afford to retire. Look for our travelogue sometime in 2040.
Posted By: franky_cole Re: Travel Journals - 11/16/09 08:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Angie
I don't know about this kind of travel journal, but, I keep a detailed journal when we travel. I make notes about what we see, my impressions, the weather, the food. It is helpful when we return home as we write up a detailed report of our trip and add it to the picture collection.

Posted By: Angie Re: Travel Journals - 11/16/09 01:01 PM
That is essentially what I do but you're blogging along the way. One of these days perhaps I will invest in a wireless gizmo so that I am hooked up wherever I am or will find Internet cafes. How do you blog along the way?
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Travel Journals - 12/24/09 04:26 PM
I figure by the time we can afford to retire and do our trip, there will be a lot of mah-velous new advances and I'll be able to get online everywhere!

There will also be a miraculous cure for my truly hellacious motion sickness! Or else I'll have to stop by the side of the road every time I want to write something down!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Travel Journals - 12/27/09 05:48 AM
I imagine both will be quite true! smile We'll have wireless chips embedded into our brains smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Travel Journals - 12/28/09 07:26 PM
I like the idea of a traveling art journal. How exciting to get it back and see the wonderful images people created! That is so appealing!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Travel Journals - 12/31/09 03:24 AM
I also agree that it can be a bit nerve-wracking to think about it all getting lost by some random person smile I can see the appeal of doing this online so everyone can see everything as it progresses and not worry about it getting lost!
Posted By: kkgarcia Re: Travel Journals - 12/31/09 08:38 PM
The travel journal type that was first mentioned ~ where you send a journal all over the world ~ has been incorporated in 'geo caching' ~ This might be a fun way to have a journal that travels and you can actually meet many new people
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Travel Journals - 01/03/10 09:46 PM
I admit it... I'm a bit self-centered at times... I couldn't just write and pass it on; I'd want to see what folks wrote in response to what I wrote!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Travel Journals - 01/04/10 02:10 AM
Right I think that's why the online version appeals to me, that you know your own content isn't lost and you can see what people add on to it.
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Travel Journals - 01/04/10 04:06 AM
Yup, and if you chose you could download or print your own copy of it to save...
Posted By: kkgarcia Re: Travel Journals - 04/23/10 03:37 AM
I am just posting several articles on travel journals and want to make sure I hit all the types of travel journals you are using ~ This week I posted an article on the common travel journals

So. . .when you think of a travel journal what type do you think of? And what type(s) have you used?
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Travel Journals - 08/16/10 07:44 AM
I'm afraid my thoughts about a travel journal aren't all that imaginative... I'm thinking basically a chronicle of my trip; where, what, whom, stuff like that. Writing the journal itself would be a lot of fun, though!
© BellaOnline Forums