BellaOnline
Posted By: Jilly Can binders be journals? - 01/02/12 07:37 PM
Can I count my awesome binders as journals? I'd like to talk about how they are coming along but am not sure it fits in here.
Posted By: Vi - Blogs/Small Office Re: Can binders be journals? - 01/02/12 08:15 PM
That sounds pretty cool. You can insert all kinds of neat things into a journal like clippings or scrapbook type pages to enhance your journals. The plastic slip pages can hold special momentos.

You have my vote for binders counting as a journal. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Can binders be journals? - 01/05/12 02:25 AM
Thanks, Vi!

I am not sure where a journal ends and a binder begins, in the sense that i use binders to organize my life. But i feel pretty passionately about them and they are a huge help. They 'feel' like journals.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Can binders be journals? - 01/09/12 10:34 PM
I think journals can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and it's fine if they are three ring bound vs perfect bound.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Can binders be journals? - 01/10/12 01:10 AM
I guess i am not talking about the physical structure so much as the intent. My binders are ways to help me organize my life and order my mind. Like my medical binder. Can that sort of be like a journal?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Can binders be journals? - 01/10/12 07:49 AM
I think I am asking for permission to talk about my binders here. smile
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Can binders be journals? - 01/22/12 10:53 AM
My opinion...?

Your journal can be anything you want it to be!

I'd like to hear about your binders, Jilly!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Can binders be journals? - 02/05/12 01:20 AM
Cool, thank you!

Right now I am working with my Flight Plan, which is a binder that lists all the little things I like to do each day - from cleaning myself and the house, to how I work on my nutritional plans, and how i get things organized. I keep this binder deliberately small, so i do not overload it and get too ambitious with my weekly routines. I use the Flylady system with this one.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Can binders be journals? - 02/05/12 11:16 PM
A binder i am working on today is my Project Binder. So far its a big mess of papers all shoved in there. But at least these are papers that are in one place, even though they are not organized properly yet.

I need to sit down with some dividers and really think about my main projects, their timelines, updates and action items.

I also have these:

Flight Plan (mentioned above), stays with my huge wall calendar
Car Binder (stays in car)
Blue Box (keeps important documents and needs to be weeded out soon)
Bill Binder
Pet Binder
Mental Health Binder
Physical Health Binder
Self Esteem Class Binder
RV Binder
Local Resources Binder
For Sale Binder (ideas for the things i am decluttering and want to somehow sell)
House Maintenance Binder

I have some other ideas but these are the ones that are in use or being developed right now. I'd love more ideas. I am kind of a binder freak.
Posted By: IH8FMS Re: Can binders be journals? - 02/23/12 01:25 AM
Jilly, I am firmly of the opinion that your journal should be your way... no matter what! Look at it this way: Just about everything in life has a set of rules. Bosses of one sort or another dictate. You gotta do this this way and hafta do that that way... but not your journal!

You are the boss. You make the rules and play YOUR way! I think it's a very nice feeling indeed.

I like your binder ideas. Sounds like everything in its place.
Great point you bring out, Doxi. Of course Jilly ought to design her journals any way she chooses.

Journals are very personal, and serve a purpose for only the owner of the journal or journals. Journals should be of a design and format that makes the most sense and brings about the most peace for the owner.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Can binders be journals? - 02/28/12 08:10 AM
You guys are awesome; thank you. I started a Dreams Binder today with lots of sections. Not about sleep dreams, but things in my house, yard and life that I want to make a reality. I will talk more about this later when i have more things put in it. I am really excited about the categories!
Good for you, Jilly. Sounds like an exciting new project for you.
Posted By: Angie Re: Can binders be journals? - 02/29/12 02:23 AM
Your wish list - they say you should set your goals down in writing so that they are not just 'pipe dreams' - Go Jilly.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Can binders be journals? - 03/14/12 01:19 AM
I think a life dreams journal sounds like a fantastic idea, and very inspirational. In a way that's how many people use Pinterest - to organize things they dream about, so they can then take action on them. So ideas for their porch area, that sort of thing.

If your way of organizing is a binder, then that is great!
Posted By: Lyn-Christian Lit Re: Can binders be journals? - 03/18/12 12:47 AM
Journals are a collection of our thoughts and feelings about things. When you look back on them, you can see how you've changed/grown. In the case of financial and weight loss journals, you can see where you have succeeded or failed.

Jilly, I think your binders are great. With so many topical binders, you sound SUPER organized. It must be very rewarding to flip through them and see how much you have accomplished.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Can binders be journals? - 03/20/12 03:22 AM
I was thinking kind of like an expanded vision board. smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Can binders be journals? - 03/20/12 09:28 PM
My categories in my Dreams Binder so far are:

House
Yard/Garden
Rvs
Ebooks
Workshop
Studio
Wardrobe
Places to See

I have not done much with these yet, but they are here as needed.

Lyn, yes, I love feeling so organized with my various binders. They really keep me on track and show me how much i am accomplishing. :-)
Posted By: kkgarcia Re: Can binders be journals? - 04/09/12 03:24 AM
Many binder journals tend to turn into scrapbook journals because they are full of more than just words. . .I usually take a binder with me when I travel just for this reason
Posted By: Encore DT Re: Can binders be journals? - 06/22/12 11:40 PM
For me a journal is an expression of myself, whether in writing, poetry, pictures, etc... In other words, any collection of paper that contains an expression of myself I'd consider a journal.
Posted By: ShirleyJean Re: Can binders be journals? - 09/22/12 11:09 PM
I just saw something that I like. I need a Project Journal. A tabbed list with To Do (and how the To Do List is progressing). I think that will certainly be my next binder!! Why had I never thought of this before?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Can binders be journals? - 10/06/12 02:36 AM
Shirley, that sounds lovely and exciting! I hope you are doing this.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Can binders be journals? - 10/10/12 10:19 PM
A project journal does sound extremely useful.

I just got back from the shop with my car, and I am so happy that I have my car binder to keep my car's notes organized. It makes knowing what the car is about so easy. I highly recommend keeping a car journal / binder.
Posted By: Romance Re: Can binders be journals? - 11/12/12 05:37 PM
[color:#99FF99][/color]I would say yes, a journal can be a notebook or binders. I have different types of journals, also I feel that binders hold a lot more stuff then a normal journal does. Not that I am complaining about a regular journal, I have them. But a journal is a journal in my eyes. :fish: [i][/i][b][/b] :tut:
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Can binders be journals? - 11/12/12 05:54 PM
The two benefits of the binder journal are the removable/expandable pages and the ability to print out my pages from word docs. My handwriting gets illegible when I write long entries.
Posted By: Romance Re: Can binders be journals? - 11/14/12 07:02 PM
My writing no one can read my writing, I hear complaints when they take one look at my journals or notebooks. :easter: [i][/i][b][/b][color:#FFFF66][/color] :tut:
© BellaOnline Forums