BellaOnline
Posted By: ReshmaHomeFinanceEditor Farms In Your Local Area - 02/10/09 08:51 PM
In an earlier article, I mentioned LocalHarvest. I have used this site many times in the past to learn about local small farms in my area from which I can buy fresh fruit and vegetables. I have gained valuable information about farmers markets. I have also found Farmernet to be extremely helpful.
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Farms In Your Local Area - 02/11/09 06:46 PM
Reshma,
Thanks for the info... I've been in VA for years and have yet to find a GOOD (not too expensive) farmers market. I'm sure there has to be somewhere around here. I will definitely check this website out.
Posted By: ReshmaHomeFinanceEditor Re: Farms In Your Local Area - 02/21/09 05:52 PM
Dianne, you might find this helpful:

Farmersmarketonline.com Farmers Market Online

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Farms In Your Local Area - 03/03/09 01:57 AM
I am a very strong proponent of supporting local farmers. Eating fresh, local food is very good for your health, inoculating you to local pollens. It's cheaper, it's better on the environment to not ship food long distance.

Eat local food! smile
Posted By: MariRN Re: Farms In Your Local Area - 03/03/09 03:29 AM
I grew up in VA, and most small farmers, just grow for themselves. If you live around Roanoke, there do have a farmers market downtown. We live in KY and have 2 gardens, peach and pear trees. I can and freeze in the summer. I even planted a strawberry patch last year. Things are going to get tough.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Farms In Your Local Area - 03/07/09 11:55 PM
I keep trying a strawberry patch - the plants grow but no strawberries. Maybe I should try to find a sunnier place to put it?
Posted By: MariRN Re: Farms In Your Local Area - 03/15/09 01:30 AM
Strawberries like full sun and damp soil, almost mucky if you get my meaning. Are you getting any flowers at all? Also, are you cutting the runners? If I can help you getting your strawberries to grow I will.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Farms In Your Local Area - 03/15/09 01:34 AM
Cutting the runners? I'm definitely not cutting anything at all. Should I be cutting off the long viney growths?
© BellaOnline Forums