BellaOnline
Posted By: M o e Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 02/26/08 12:55 AM
Hmmm, my first instinct is milk, but I'm going to go with Collard Greens. smile
I'll go with the collard greens. I remember my midwife telling me that spinach has more calcium than milk - and since I don't actully know what either Collard greens or Bok Choy are, I'll go with the greens grin
That's right! Collard Greens have the most absorbable amount of calcium with Bok Choy being second.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 03/01/08 07:34 PM
Collard greens are just so good for you smile People should eat more of them! I love them with pulled pork.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 03/01/08 07:35 PM
Collard greens, ham hocks, n black eye peas,sounds good to me.
collard greens are so good for you,
Posted By: chloe21 Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 03/01/08 07:38 PM
I've never tried collard greens but I would like to. Are they similar to spinach? Do they need to be cooked or can you eat them raw like spinach?
I have no idea what collard greens are - but I have had kale recently, and I've heard it's pretty good for you. I'll have to give the collard greens a try now smile
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 03/02/08 06:02 PM
Collard greens are so good. They are a long-cooking green, taking about an hour or so to cook until tender. And, best seasoned with bacon or some other pork fat! LOL, of course.

There's a BBQ restaurant down the road from me who makes great collard greens. Hmm--sounds like dinner! LOL
Posted By: chloe21 Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 03/02/08 08:26 PM
I'm going to try collard greens with bacon. I sometimes flavor green beans with bacon. It only takes about two slices of bacon, and I drain most of the fat, to add so much flavor. Sounds good!
Okay, I've heard this before, about cooking the collard greens with bacon - but I just don't get it. How can that be healthy???

Anybody have any recipes to share? I'd love to try this.
Posted By: joanj Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 03/03/08 05:51 PM
Sardines have 371mg of calcium for 3 oz compared to 300mg in a cup of milk.

Calcium is also best taken as a supplement in small doses as you body only absorbs about 300mg at a time. Also, did you know that drinking 12oz of a cola drink robs your body of about 100mg of calcium?

Here's some non-dairy calcium sources and calcium facts
Alrighty! I've got my collard greens and bacon! I'm still wondering how this can possibly be healthy? Any thoughts anyone!! How about a great recipe?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 03/03/08 07:52 PM
There are rack things to cook bacon on so that the fat drips away and you're left with just the meat, which makes it reasonably healthy.

I think usually for collard greens you in essence boil them for a half hour to an hour in chicken broth. I can have Bob make some up for me in the next few days, usually I just order those at a BBQ restaurant when we're out smile But we should eat them more often!
Posted By: -Diana- Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 03/03/08 11:23 PM
Speaking of calcium, I was appalled to learn recently that I was taking my calcium pills "all wrong" for months and months.

I love broccoli, yogurt and cheese as a source of calcium but I still wasn't getting enough. I decided to take two 400 mg calcium pills daily. I took both pills with breakfast. Then I read that you can't absorb more than about 500 mg of calcium at a time. And the excess could clog your arteries! Is this true?

I keep imagining a hardening in my arteries....ugh!
I'm glad to hear so many people like collard greens, but be careful with the fat to flavor. Bacon, pulled pork, butter...

I'm advocating a plant based diet like the one Dr. Joel Furhman recommends to his patients to reverse and prevent degenerative diseases. It is high fiber, 45+ grams a day and low fat, under 20 grams. You'd probably knock out half your fat grams for the day with collard greens & bacon smile

A better option is collard greens raw in a smoothie or steamed with vinegar, sea salt and spices.
You need some kind of fat to break down the greens. Try some olive oil and if you want the bacon flavor, use the imitation bacon bits, they really have a good flavor. You can also use vegetable or beef stock to cook them in. Remove the stems of the greens, roll the leaf up then slice. This gives you thin strips to boil and they break down faster.
Posted By: elle Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 03/06/08 03:47 AM
I cannot imagine cooking any vegetable for an hour! We like ours stir fried for just a couple of minutes, or steamed for less than five minutes. Veges must crunch!
If you have a quality blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix the greens will be completely liquid and therefore easy to digest.
I don't agree that calcium should be taken as a supplement. We don't need massive amounts of calcium, we just need a lot more exercise, and quality food sources...greens, beans, dried fruits.

People are going by the USDA food pyramid for calcium requirements and that thing has been put together by lobbyists in the food industries...how do you think we now require 3 servings of milk a day? The dairy industry lobbyists got that requirement up there.

Read my article on the Dairy Industry
Gretchen, what if you need supplements though? I had gastric bypass, and I have to take them. Is it true that Calcium Citrate is the best form to take?
Is your doctor telling you that you need supplements since you had gastric bypass?

Can your stomach not take a green smoothie with any of these high calcium vegetarian foods? Bok choy, turnip greens, watercress, mustard greens, collard greens, kale chickory greens, dandelion, escarole, dark lettuces, fennel, carob, oranges, tangerines, papayas, currants and figs.

Invest in a good blender like the Vitamix or Blendtec.

I've also had gastric bypass, and it's not only that the body can't break down the food as well to get the calcium (otherwise we could drink milk all day long). It is that because of the amount of intestine and stomach that has been removed, only a certain amount can be absorbed at one time.

Also, the calcium citrate is the easiest for our limited intestines to break down.

For those of us that have had the "classic" roux en Y bypass, we are missing a large portion of our stomach, and the entire duodenum.

Those people that have had lap-band done, however, don't have this same limitation, because they are not missing anything, their stomach pouch has just been squeezed off to make it feel fuller faster.
Posted By: Digitoko Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 07/10/08 05:49 AM
Hello,

I agree Collard green are the best source of calcium.

Posted By: elle Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 07/10/08 06:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Gretchen-Holistic Health
People are going by the USDA food pyramid for calcium requirements and that thing has been put together by lobbyists in the food industries...how do you think we now require 3 servings of milk a day? The dairy industry lobbyists got that requirement up there.

Read my article on the Dairy Industry

I was so pleased that you included the information that diary products can actually leech calcium from your bones -- not many people realise this, and/or don't believe it because it seem counter-intuitive to what we've been told continuously by marketers that "dairy contains calcium therefore it must be a good source of calcium".

I've cut down drastically on my dairy intake since I discovered that fact. I used to be a milk drinker and very fond of cheese and yoghurt. Now I just eat cheese as a treat, and I only have plain yoghurt on the occasions when I eat muesli for breakfast.
Posted By: KimberlyD Re: What is the best source of Calcium? - 01/03/09 11:31 PM
go for the deep greens!!!
© BellaOnline Forums