BellaOnline
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Period after menopause? - 09/02/10 02:33 PM
Hi Tammy,

I have a question for you! I went through menopause over the past several years. Started in my early-mid forties. The doctor said it was due to several factors including my family history of early menopause plus my extremely stressful life. I went through sleep deprivation for decades, caring for my developmentally handicapped child. He had a terminal genetic disorder and his care--and death--was physically, mentally and emotionally taxing.

I went through the hot flashes (actually, not flashes. I was hot all the time!) But the past year, it all ended and I was so relieved to finally be done with menopause. But this morning, when I used the restroom, I noticed blood. It was not from my urine so I wonder if it is possible to have occasional bleeding or even a light period after menopause.

I did begin to exercise nightly at the gym for the past three weeks now. Could exercising somehow have kicked started my body into producing youthful hormones?

Is this something to be concerned about?

Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Period after menopause? - 09/05/10 04:13 AM
Okay, I just read that *any* bleeding after menopause could be an indicator of endometrial cancer. sigh.

I did read that there could be other reasons for post-menopausal bleeding such as weight loss. Estrogen is stored in fat and as fat melts, the estrogen enters the bloodstream triggering periods.

Could be. My daughter whose periods stopped due to a medical condition began to exercise with me. We both exercised nightly for three weeks and guess what? HER period just started, too.

So, I'm hoping this is the cause and not cancer. ugh.
Posted By: Julie - Computer Careers Re: Period after menopause? - 09/05/10 04:49 AM
Lori -

I started going into early menopause in my early 20's and it reversed. I didn't go as long as you had, but while I would have it checked out, I wouldn't get too worried.

BTW, revenge can be sweet. My mom didn't believe I was having hot flashes and was totally unsympathetic. When she went through menopause and started complaining about hot flashes I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

Julie
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Period after menopause? - 09/06/10 02:27 AM
Thank you for your kind response. My mother just told me that she also had bleeding and spotting after menopause and had to have several D&Cs. In the end, she opted for a hysterectomy even though she did not have any signs of cancer. She said not to worry either. I feel a little better now but I will get it checked out.

Thank you, Julie, for making me feel better. Stress would not be good. I read that post-menopausal bleeding turns out to be cancer in 1 out of 8 women. But that means 7 out of 8 don't!
Posted By: Julie - Computer Careers Re: Period after menopause? - 09/07/10 05:50 AM
Lori -

In general, if your mom or either grandmother had some sort of "irregular" menstrual symptom and it was benign, the chance of it being equally benign when it happens to you is even better than 7/8. If your mom had the same thing, do get it checked out, but don't stress!

Julie
Posted By: Tammy Menopause Re: Period after menopause? - 09/07/10 05:53 PM
Hi Lori,

Great discussion here! Thank you to Julie as well for some advice.

I assume by your email that you have been period-free for at least a full 12 months. This time span indicates that the menopause phase has ended and you are now postmenopausal. For some women, it looks like they are home free so to speak around 10 or 11 months and then out of the blue, the hormones kick in again so menopause in cases such as these cannot be considered complete.

If you have been postmenopausal for 12 months or more, or for any unusual spotting, you should always have this checked out by your doctor. As Julie pointed out this could be just a minor issue but it never pays to self-diagnose - always consult with your doctor to be sure! Plus once you know what you are daling with, that is half the battle.

Our best wishes are with you for good news!

Tammy
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Period after menopause? - 11/02/11 05:17 PM
Hi Tammy and all! So I was dumb and didn't go to a doctor last year when I experienced this spotting after menopause. It was a good thing I posted about this here though because I had forgotten when this happened, and now I have a timeline.

Anyway, I didn't go to a doctor last year because I was dealing with so much at the time. A major move, assuming care for my elderly aunt who is proving to be a pickle to deal with, continuing with my daughter's medical infusions, etc. etc.

Fast forward a year later...just last week, I woke up in a pool of blood. Heavy bleeding and lasting for several days. So I just went to the OB/GYN and he scheduled a sonogram. He decided to do a biopsy immediately. He said that the fluid and tissues did not look suspicious but I am awaiting results.

I am not worried at all. I'm sure that my poor old uterus, after having three huge babies and three c-sections, is just tired and may need to be removed. I'm hoping not though. My body could have been flooded with extra estrogen from weight loss, stress, etc. As I mentioned before, this post-menopausal bleeding is part of my family history--with no cancer.

So, I will keep you all posted! Thanks for your concern and support.

Live well! smile
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Period after menopause? - 11/10/11 08:56 PM
Hi Lori:

I had my fibroid removed for some really inconvenient periods. It got so bad I was scared to sit for too long. I was going through a super whatever the biggest was tampon, and the biggest pad I could by without begging the hospital for one of theirs.

From what I was told by my doctor and my own online reading, the fibroid would have come back if I had not started menopause. God was good as I sure could not afford to be having this surgery every few years like a lot of women ended up doing to avoid a hysterectomy (is that how it is spelt?) - that of which I was not interested in having.

I had my fibroid removed vaginally and was fine after recovery. Whereas the hysterectomy would have mean't being out of work and needing someone to help me for a few weeks.

I am now 53 and apart from the hot flashes, which I am now grateful for living in Columbus, Georgia (was in the 30's this morning, but I was fine, my boyfriend was freezing = nothing like your own personal portable heater), I am so glad I made it pass the 12 month guideline for not having a cycle.

LOL, it use to be like I would get to maybe 6 months of no period, then it would show up!!! So I had to make sure I had my equipment with me at all times. Yes, I had ALWAYS been like clockwork, so dealing with the not knowing was taking a toll on me mentally.

Does anyone know if the hot flashes ever go away?

I have not been able to find out and my mom, bless her heart, had a hysterectomy, so no help there even if I built up the nerve to ask her. They say you can learn about what you may experience as a woman from your mother.

Now my only child, now 25, I make sure to share my journey so that she has some idea. Gone are the days of not discussing certain things, like from my mom's generation.

Talk soon :blush smile blush
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Period after menopause? - 12/15/11 04:51 PM
Ok, an update! A biopsy and sonogram revealed that all is well. No cancer.

The doctor said that if I should experience more bleeding, he will put me on some medication. But since then, there has been no bleeding or discomfort of any sort.

The bleeding could have been triggered from the estrogen released from weight loss or exercise, apparently. In any case, my mother and sisters all experienced some post-menopausal bleeding that was not cancer. Two have had to have hysterectomies though.

phew!

Angela, my hot flashes went away. Now, I get cold more quickly than my hubby who is amazed because I used to need to blast cold air directly on my face when we were in the car.
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Period after menopause? - 12/16/11 01:37 PM
Hi Lori:

I so much APPRECIATE your feedback, this is what this forum is about smile

LOL, I can just see you in the car when you were having your "hot flashes" - I TRY very hard not to torment Sylvester too much with the car as he is putting up with so much already at home.

Glad to see things worked out, that is ALWAYS my challenge - the test results.

You doing good girl!!!!
© BellaOnline Forums