BellaOnline
Hello everyone. If you would like to try and make your own homemade Greek meatballs (Keftedes) then check out this simple recipe. They only take 30 minutes to cook, are very tasty and make an ideal snack or main meal smile

Homemade Keftedes

Greek Meatballs Recipe
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/12/12 12:04 AM
I love that you can bake these. Never tried to make a meatball with ground lamb. It's hard to find here.
Posted By: theraven Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/12/12 08:21 AM
They are popular deep fried and taste lovely but I prefer them baked. Lamb is a great meat to use and plenty of people do but beef works brilliantly too and the outcome is just as good smile
Posted By: theraven Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/12/12 05:13 PM
I have just cooked up a batch of delicious keftedes using lean beef and the picture has been attached to my original post. Check it out! smile
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/12/12 05:52 PM
I was just asking my daughter what I should cook for dinner tonight then this popped into my email inbox. I will definitely try this. But do you want to know something odd? It seems that ground beef, which used to be the economical meat choice, costs more than other cuts. Food prices are crazy.

Anyway, I am going to make these tonight. Your idea to fill a pita and meatball then drizzle with tzatziki sauce sounds good. But I might make an orzo-rice pilaf only because I like rice. smile

Is there a Greek sauce other than the cucumber-dill tzatziki that I can use?
Posted By: theraven Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/12/12 06:36 PM
I know what you mean about the price of beef, it can be quite expensive here as well.

I hope the meatballs work out well, let me know how it goes. Got several suggestions for alternative dressings:

Yoghurt and mint
Greek tomato sauce
Lemon sauce

If any of these sound good and you need some advice, please give me a shout smile

Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/12/12 06:38 PM
I'd love to see the Greek tomato sauce recipe as well as the lemon sauce. I have a yoghurt and mint sauce recipe!

Thanks!
Posted By: theraven Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/12/12 10:58 PM
I hope you enjoy your meal, Lori smile Thanks for your comment, I'll be sure to do some recipes for different Greek dressings
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/13/12 02:31 AM
Good news and bad news. Good news is that my sister told me about this FANTASTIC Middle Eastern grocery store near her. I stopped by her place to visit with her grandbabies. I told her that I wanted to find a place that sells ground lamb.

BTW, what do you call those vibrantly pink pickles? I love them! smile
Posted By: theraven Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/14/12 08:59 PM
I hope you manage to get hold of some ground lamb to use for the recipe. I have not come across a name for the pickles but found that turnips and cucumbers are two items that can be served pink.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/14/12 10:14 PM
Oh, yes. Those pink pickles did taste and look like turnips.

I told my husband about the store and he wants to go. When we do, I'll be sure to get some ground lamb to try those delicious-sounding meatballs.

Another question for you: What type of rice is used in Greek cuisine? Is it basmati or regular long-grain rice?
Posted By: theraven Re: Make your own Greek meatballs - 11/15/12 07:11 AM
Hi Lori, thanks for posting. I am pleased you came across the store and when you make the meatballs, I would love to know how they turned out smile

Long-grain is the most popular and commonly used rice in Greek cookery. It is great in stuffed grape leaves.
© BellaOnline Forums