BellaOnline

What Are Your Priorities?

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb

What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 03:43 AM

In the process of goal setting, it is always key to start with your priorities. If you set a random goal of "get a new job" - but never thought about your priorities, you might end up with a new job that is really awful for you. If you make a wish list for things like "new TV" and "new stereo" you might get them - and realize that what you really wanted was more quality time with your family.

So let's brainstorm about priorities! It's always good to start with a calm center - we talk about that here -

Finding a Calm Center

If you start planning from a calm center, you have a better chance of finding priorities that really are best for you long term and not quick-escape ideas.

So - sit down with a glass of wine, a calm center, a moment of peace. Think about your life 5 years from now. What would be most important about that life? What are your overreaching priorities? Not specific things like "working at xxxx" but more general priorities about how you would like things to be?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 03:54 AM

I'll start! Again, this is about priorities. Specific goals will come later, once we talk about our priorities smile

It is a very important priority to me to help others. I have a number of ways in which I like to do it (the goals) but the underlying priority is that I like to help others.

To be more specific, I like to enable others to help themselves. I like to provide the training, support and environment for people to achieve their dreams.

Health is very important to me. When I was younger I never understood the sayings about "your health is everything". Now that I'm older I really do feel it is true. It is so important to be healthy.

I also want to be ... "serene" is the best word I can think of. I'm not worried about where I live, or what we live in, or what I have. I want to be content, relaxed and calm.

What are your priorities in life, for the next five years?
Posted By: Laura-Senior-Issues

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 04:36 AM

I love what you have said about priorities vs goals. I have been doing some self-analyzing lately, in my head/heart and in my reading. Reading a couple of Jennifer Louden's Comfort Queen books, Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love and some of Susan Wittig Albert's journaling and women's enrichment titles. Within that exploration, I am beginning to both reach my center of calm more easily. I am a late starter to this, being in my mid-50's, but some of my priorities are obvious and typical (health, comfortable income) others a bit more bizarre and more goal-like (learn to play the drums, get my novel written)... Bella has been a marvelous place for promoting growth, self-understanding and enlightenment. Thanks!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 04:54 AM

I think a comfortable income is a goal we all want to aim for! In terms of priorities, what would that goal enable you to do? Do you want to travel more? To stop working completely? To spend more time with your pets? What would that enable you to achieve?
Posted By: Cate - Home Finance

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 10:41 AM

I say my priorities are God, husband, kids, work. But the way I use my time doesn't quite reflect those priorities accurately. So I need to re-order my time to make my actions reflect my priorities.

Getting rid of our debt and making ends meet has now become a top goal because it's a priority for us to have me homeschool and work from home. To that end, my income needs to increase.

So, I now get up at 5 a.m. and work until about 9 a.m. My husband is re-doing our office so I will have a desk with my stuff ready to go. Before, the thought of getting up at 5 a.m. would've made me break out in hives. Now, I love it. I feel so productive, even before anyone else gets out of bed.

I mentioned in another thread about how I've been getting rid of dread. I realized most of my dread was focused on things that take me away from my priorities--because I felt like a failure for not taking care of my priorities. I had some weird delusion that those things "had to be done" and were compelling enough to take me away from my priorities.

Part of getting rid of the dread was realizing that those things are NOT necessary and getting rid of them. If you focus on priorities, you have to make tough decisions to let things go. But you feel freer to do so if your justification is PRIORITIES. You don't care as much what doesn't get done or what people think. You are living by your priorities and fulfilling your goals.

So my priorities are:
--more time in spiritual search and reflection, at least 1/2 hour a day
--more focus on my husband, which initially is simple things like having more of his favorite meals, more time alone
--focusing on the kids and doing a better job of listening, saying "yes" when I can, and not reacting to everything as though they need to be corrected and re-directed
--taking my income potential (and myself as an entrepreneur) more seriously and having regular work hours from 5 a.m. to 8 a.m., a full week of 40+ hours once a month (When someone asks what I do, I now say "I do marketing work from home")

Power to all of you to make your reality reflect your priorities!

:-) Cate
Posted By: History Cindy

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 01:49 PM

Ok, priorities... This is hard for me because my ADD seems to bring me a new priority every week!

But, most of the time they center around:
Be self-sufficient. Be strong. Be at home as much as possible (and conversely) have time to travel as much as possible (I guess I just don't like being stuck in my office -- as nice as it is.) Live without regrets. Help others. Ensure that future generations have the opportunities I had. Leave a legacy that my family can be proud of.

More specifically, these priorities include (this week):
--Getting our websites up, running and making money
--making more time to really dig into my bella topic
--writting my classes/syllabi written for next year, and not have to do so much work during the school year
--working on the various books and plays that I have in various stages of half-finished-ness
--helping my parent's business
--more vacations with my hubby and our cats
--starting a theatre company.... but not before next summer...

I'm pretty sure these priorities won't change much for the next year or so... Maybe by then I'll learn to say "No" without adding an, "ok" after it.... But I think that goes in the "goals" topic.
Posted By: Laura-Senior-Issues

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 01:54 PM

Well, for me, on a very limited income due to health concerns, creating a "Comfortable income" means enough money for food and bills, not luxuries like travel and such! I am not trying for income increases for time related activities, per se, although I would like to generate enough self-created (self-employment) income to not have to work outside the home...Hmmm. I guess what I am saying is I want enough money to not have to have the specter of government assistance (except for our social security check!) looming over my head! I want to enjoy a family-centered life, with time for crafts, gardening, grandsons, movies, reading, writing (but NOT arithmetic!)and that kind of thing. Sorry, I seem to be rambling as I think "out loud!"
Posted By: Deanna - New Age

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 02:36 PM

My priorities are:

More time in spiritual reflection (thanks Cate - I love how you worded that smile )

Getting in great physical condition. Get my food allergies under control, loose weight and get back into a regular exercise routine.

Nurture my relationship with my husband and children.

Helping others. I enjoy helping others along their spiritual path, and really feel that it is my calling.

Posted By: Soccer Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 04:43 PM

My priorities over the next 5 years are I would like my health issues sorted out. I would like to quit my current job and be able to work from home full time and maybe persue a writing career more seriously.

Paying the bills and really being on top of them. I have this dream we will move house again but I don't know how long that will take. It seems unlikely now, but I keep on dreaming and trying to get on top of our finances.

I would like to know the difference between when I should be helping others, and when I should be helping myself, because I seem to do more of the former when I should be doing more of the latter.

Although I could never stop trying to help people I just want to strike a better balance.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the main priorities.
Posted By: Gregory - Hiking/BP Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 05:38 PM

I've spent a lot of time since my near-death experience in October thinking about priorities. I've realized I had a strong tendency to put everyone else's needs before my own.

My top priority at all times now is placing my own needs, especially my health, mental well being and time, above the needs of others. After all, how can I help improve the lives of others if I'm not first taking care of myself and living by positive example.

One of my greatest sources of support is my husband. We just celebrated our 8th anniversary. He definitely comes in as my second priority. The love and support he offers me at all times is a joy to reciprocate.

Everything and everyone else falls somewhere below these top two.

This reprioritizing has created a some ill feelings among my friends and family. No one likes to lose their top spot for something lower. But, I clearly discovered who the takers are in my life and now I decide when to give. It's very freeing.

Gregory
Posted By: MegM_BusinessCoach

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 06:02 PM

Excellent topic, Lisa!

My Global Priority: Saving Honeybees - Did you know that experts claim that at the rate of honeybee hives disappearing today - the honeybee - the biggest major pollenator of fruit, flowers, veggies will be GONE by 2035? Whether you love honey or are allergic to bee stings - you eat, smell, or use products from something that the honeybee helps to exist.

My Professional Priority: To make a living being me. It's working really well so far. The facets that make up this priority are:

• Helping people make a living doing what they love.
  • Teaching those that want to learn.
  • Connecting inspired, motivated people with coaches & mentors.
  • Getting people moving in new ways.
  • Guiding others to take action.

My Personal Priority: Being authentic in my interactions, diligent in asserting myself, honorable and kind to others.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 08:01 PM

Cate - that is so very true that many of us have priorities, but when we look at our actual day to day lives the goals we are working on don't reflect those priorities. It's why this exercise can be such an important one!

That is GREAT that you're setting up a work area so you can productively work on your tasks and goals without stress. That can be so key in making progress.

We can definitely get caught up in a pattern of always correcting / finding fault in family members and never appreciating the good. It's an easy trap. It really does make a huge difference if we actively seek out and praise the good instead!

That is super about working on the income. We have TONS and tons of pages here on how to do that more efficiently, plus I have hundreds of pages including free video courses on lisashea.com. I'll have that specifically as a topic in the coming days so we can help you directly with what you're working on smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 08:03 PM

Laura - rambling is great! The more we brainstorm, think and ponder, the more we sort through the chaff and wheat and figure out what is really important in life. So ramble on!

It sounds like you have a great priority. Being self sufficient is a key aim that is important and healthy. That is even "easier" than trying to make money for cruises and airline tickets. We can definitely help with this. That'll be an upcoming topic, so once we hit that, we will get into specifics with your plans!

A family centered life sounds quite wonderful smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 08:05 PM

Deanna - what a wonderful set of priorities! That helps to grow your spiritual realm, your physical / health realm, and your social realm. It sounds like you have all the bases covered!

You sound like you're in a great place to have your goal planning really achieve some spectacular things!
Posted By: Barbara, GayLesbianEditor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 08:23 PM

This is something I need to focus on. I have so much going on that whatever seems the most urgent is what gets the attention .. so I don't get around to doing the things I really want to do to reach specific goals.
Posted By: LML

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Cate - Home Finance

--focusing on the kids and doing a better job of listening, saying "yes" when I can, and not reacting to everything as though they need to be corrected and re-directed

This is something I need to work on as well. It's so easy for me to get caught in in showing the the "right" way that I forget that they need to try things out and fail-- especially with the small stuff.

And Cindy, I'm with you on the ADD. I was recently diagnosed and resisted the idea for a while. Since I didn't have the hyperactivity I didn't see it.

I really have no idea what my priorities are. This is something that really bothers me. I can't seem to decide where I want my life to go.
Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregory DL Editor
I've spent a lot of time since my near-death experience in October thinking about priorities. I've realized I had a strong tendency to put everyone else's needs before my own.

My top priority at all times now is placing my own needs, especially my health, mental well being and time, above the needs of others. After all, how can I help improve the lives of others if I'm not first taking care of myself and living by positive example.

This reprioritizing has created a some ill feelings among my friends and family. No one likes to lose their top spot for something lower. But, I clearly discovered who the takers are in my life and now I decide when to give. It's very freeing.

Gregory

I'm so with you on this, Gregory.

I didn't have a near death experience, (I'd love to hear about yours though!) but I was completely stunned when I was diagnosed with multiple uterine fibroids. My stomach problems were out of control as well, and I realized something had to change. I realized in that moment, that what had to change was me.

I had made my life into something that served only other people. What they wanted from me and how I could manifest it for them was my reason for living. I earned my certification in life coaching just before my diagnosis, so that I could help people along toward their bliss, but there I was a total mess. I had to face that I wasn't following my own bliss at all, but more obsessed with others finding theirs. So I stopped. I stopped everything and got very, very quiet. My new priority in life was to take care of me. To give to myself all of the nurturing I was giving to everyone else. Finally, I came first, and everyone else took their respective place.

I stopped playing the destructive games my family members were playing. I stopped dancing for other people's approval. I entered into acupuncture and massage therapy to accompany my regular therapy. I discovered the Tao. My healing had truly begun, because I really started caring for myself. During my healing period, I learned that I was a writer. I allowed myself the time and space to write. I started with poetry - one of my poems (a haiku) was accepted to appear in the summer edition of Muse! I began writing a novel, then got accepted here at BellaOnline. (A bow of deepest thanks to you, Lisa and your goal of helping others.) I thought it was perfect, as I could still assist others in their healing, as I learn and progress with my own healing. I recently finished the first draft of my novel, and am beginning a new one!

By making myself top priority, I have discovered who I really am, what I can give to myself, and what I can afford to give to others. I understand my own boundaries, how to be present in the moment and to always do my best - even if my best today isn't as top form as my best was yesterday. At 46, I have never been so at peace with myself.

I finally understand what it is to love myself, and have that be my truth - the finest thing I have to offer.

Shay

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 09:30 PM

Alice -

Health really is so important, a lot of us neglect it for short term concerns. We definitely need to help ourselves - and take care of ourselves - in balance with helping others.

Being financially secure is also really so important. So much stress and energy is wasted in worrying about finances. We can definitely help out with that!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 09:36 PM

Gregory -

It really is amazing how much of a wake-up call you get when something like that happens. You suddenly realize how you really want to spend your life, how precious life is. It's a shame that most of us don't get that important "jolt" to get back on track.

It is wonderful that you are focusing on your health. You are so right - you need to take care of yourself and be happy with yourself in order to best help others.

It is great that you have such a supportive partner in life! That really is something to treasure.

I understand completely what you're saying about "takers" that exist in life. Those people really get spoiled in feeding off of your energy and get quite grumpy when their free ride is cut short. You can't let them guide your dreams. They have their own issues to work through and hopefully they will manage it. I know of *several* friends who had to cut ties with family members because of issues like that. They are SO much happier now. It's a hard thing to do, but it can be absolutely critical to your contentment.

In the end, if someone enjoys harming you emotionally, mentally, however - they are not good for you. If they aren't aware enough to realize what they're doing, then you can put some distance in the relationship until hopefully they get a clue. You don't have to allow damage to your own health because of their poor behavior.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 09:52 PM

Meg -

You definitely live as an inspiration to those you coach! You have your priorities very well defined and organized smile That is great that you find success with your priorities in hand!

The honeybee issue is definitely an important one!
Posted By: kristen houghton

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/18/08 10:30 PM

Healing emotionally with my husband. We have had so much stress in our lives over the past decade. Spending more time with him.

Healing physically and spiritually; getting a positive connection with the Divine.

Getting my "dancer's body" back by losing some weight, getting enough sleep, and more ballet.(I felt so healthy when I danced.)
Posted By: Mary_Betta_Fish

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/19/08 12:20 AM

laugh O.k., I'm not drinking a glass of wine as I write this, but... maybe that's for the best! LOL Well, in 5 years I'd like to be a leader in my profession. I'd like to have my family around me - and I'd like to be the one mentoring others and able to be involved in philanthropic pursuits where I see a need and have a passion. To do that will take a lot of work and maybe some luck. I'll have to be able to work professionally as a writer and have a lot of support from the right people.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/20/08 01:06 AM

Kristen -

Those are great priorities! Sleep really is SUCH an important goal to achieve anything else. It is amazing how much more focused and relaxed we are when we get enough sleep. We don't even realize how "off" we are until we finally achieve that!

It is great that you have a form of exercise that you love. I've never tried ballet - is that something you can do at home with a DVD?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/20/08 01:10 AM

Mary -

We can definitely help you out with all of those priorities! It sounds like you have some nice priorities lined up, and now we can work on the specific goals!
Posted By: elle

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/20/08 01:34 AM

This is so true. So often short term goals can actually work against your priorities and you don't even realise it. It really is so much simpler when you keep those priorities up front and try to work the goals around those instead of the other way round.

My priorities are to extend our family; stay healthy and try to help my hubby stay healthy too; and to write my novels.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/20/08 02:20 AM

Right exactly Elle. Many books on life planning talk about writing down your main priorities and hanging them by your desk. That way you keep them in mind when short term "emergencies" threaten to take you off track!
Posted By: Trish-D

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/20/08 01:06 PM

Hello everyone. What a wonderful thread.

My top priorities are:

1. For my husband and I to be as "self sufficientish" as we can be. It has been a dream since before we met. We just signed on our new house yesterday and will be starting our move this weekend. I suppose this might fall under a goal, but it feels like it has been top priority for us for years. We have a plan and have worked hard to start to put it in action.

2. Get healthier (of course). I have a sedentary job and I'm really feeling the effects of it.

3. Go back to school. I want at least an associate degree, most likely in something computer related. I put it off because of finances, but I think I could get a student loan now.

4. Keep writing and restart arts and crafts. Bella has helped me with goal setting and getting those creative juices flowing. I want to keep up if not increase that momentum not just because of the writing itself but because of the confidence it instills in all areas of my life.

Good luck everyone keeping up with your priorities.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/20/08 04:48 PM

Wow, Shay, it sounds like we're on similar paths. It's so cool to know that bliss is possible...thanks for sharing your story.

Gregory

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/20/08 04:51 PM

Thanks for your supportive words and thoughts, Lisa!

I know I'm on the correct path, finally. If others in my life choose to enjoy that I'm thrilled, if not, I just don't have time.

It feels good to be my own top priority and everything else in life is now falling into place.

Gregory

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/21/08 12:24 AM

Trish you are SO right that improving an area of your life then cascades into other areas, as it helps you to feel better about yourself, happier with the progress you've made and more peaceful in general!

What types of arts and crafts are you going to be working on?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/21/08 12:25 AM

Gregory - in a way it really becomes self evident that the people who are really happy for you *are* the ones you want in your life, because they are the ones who are supportive of you!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/21/08 12:28 AM

Once people have listed out their priorities, and feel comfortable with them, it's time to get specific goals onto a list, which fall in line with your priorities!

What are your goals for the next five years? Let us know so we can help!

Setting Goals for Five Years
Posted By: Jilly

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/22/08 12:30 AM

i was working on my priorities list this afternoon.

here's what I have:

1. be peaceful,
serene, calmer.

2. be mentally and physically healthy

3. have creativity and art in my life

4. have humor,
fun and adventure

5. my debt will be under control and our savings will be comfortably set for our future...ie - financial stability

6. i will have successfully moved forward on my
projects

7. My life will be stable

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/22/08 08:59 PM

Those are awesome priorities, Jilly! I would definitely post those by your desk! I bet if we can help you reach goals in each of these areas that you will be SO happy smile
Posted By: Stephanie - Weight Loss

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/22/08 09:13 PM

Lets see if I can actually do this. FOCUS.

Ok Priorities

My Family
My Health
My Community

Those seem so big, but My family in terms of my daughter who still lives at home and my husband and his daughter... and my health, I need to lose weight and exercise and my community.. that really means the earth, trying to be more earth friendly and do my part in being kind to the earth.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/22/08 09:37 PM

I asked DH what his priorities were. He immediately started in on goals...heehee...then I said, "no, your priorities."

So he said:
1. health and fitness
2. more loving/intimate quality time with me
3. tons of creative freedom and artistic exploration

Number three is his big one, really. So he and I have similar priorities, which is cool. PLus he shamed me that I did not include love and quality time with him - which I should.

Lisa, yes, i do have these posted at my desk. I want to ask myself, or each thing I do, "does this further any of my priorities?"

Such a simple concept that has eluded me for so long!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/22/08 09:44 PM

Stephanie - big is good! Priorities are the overreaching main aspects of what you want to go for. That way your goals (the actual specific aims) can be pointed in the right direction.

I love those priorities, those seem wonderful to me smile

Being kind to the earth really is so important smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/22/08 09:51 PM

Jill I think it's natural for MOST people when asked about priorities to start by thinking specific. And that's how a lot of people end up going awry, because they never thought about a larger sense first. It's part of what makes this such a powerful exercise, because you step back and really think about your life and where you want it to go.

Those are great priorities for him! That is really cool that he wants artistic exploration. It's really odd, but I wouldn't have thought that, from your previous posts! I would have guessed something more like "blogging expertise." Good for him!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/22/08 09:51 PM

In terms of not including a certain priority, it's hard enough to even think up priority items at first smile So we're bound to miss one! By reading each others entries it helps us remember what we might have forgotten and add them in smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/22/08 10:29 PM

Yes, dan and I are both into art and creativity, just in different directions. He loves designing elegant code, unusual flex/flash applications and making cool zen wood furniture.

And we both enjoy photography, which you have seen in Mused. We both love to write. smile

My art is more decorating, painting, sculpting, mixed media, drawing...more free form stuff.

We both have a zillion thick, lovely art books and talk about art all the time. Sometimes we argue about art...the big difference between us is that i like to be synthetic (find commonalities) and he's analytic (find differences). It sounds like a small thing, but it's a huge gulf between us.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/23/08 05:51 AM

Yes definitely you are both awesome photographers!!

Dan likes to make cool Zen wood furniture? And you need a table?

smile smile smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/23/08 06:05 AM

I know that sounds like a given but we really don't need him to make me a table. Too many reasons why not. I'd rather get a cruddy craiglist table and then get rid of it when we get my dinette.
Posted By: Athena_Marina

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/23/08 08:22 PM

This is actually kind of hard for me to identify!
I think
(1) Travel is a passion of mine and
(2) Get UK Residency and UK citizenship for me and my husband because that makes travel easier for us - especially for him. (3) Doing well at work because that also helps with number 2 plus I am a contientious (can't spell!) person who HATES to fail!
(4) Conversely personal time and freedom are VERY important to me so to be assertive enough in work to maintain a good balance and maybe even improve it. (E.g. someone wants me to do another one year course and I've decided to say no. It will NOT affect the UK Residency thing.)
(5) Continue to improve my social life and continue to meet with positive people. Be nice to become close to some but for now I will just continue to get out there, met some great people week before last!
(6) Spirituality is important to me and for me that includes continuing to focus on what I want in my life. And also to uplift others where possible, even though sometimes it may just be through forums, thinking good thoughts, wishing them well etc. (By the way: I wish that ALL of you reach your goals whether they are similar to mine or very different and I look forward to hearing your success stories!!)
(7) Also spiritual: Get out of debt (in time, we came to the UK to travel and that IS a priority, we have credit cards pay more than the minimum and they are going down) and donate more money to charity although hubby and I DO already donate.
(8) Get a house in the UK for me and hubby. I want to rent it out, he wants us to live in it but rent it out if we want to move on but we are open to each other's ideas here. This is a three to five year goal.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/23/08 08:51 PM

Athena - those are great priorities! Some of them are starting to include goals too, and that's OK. It helps you get yourself focused. Now you can work out your specific long term goals based on those priorities!

I definitely agree that hanging out with positive people is SO important. Negative people can just sap your energy completely! I am all for helping people as much as you can - but for your own mental health you also need to have a support group that *is* supportive smile
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/23/08 09:15 PM

I keep thinking about this, and am not real sure how to word some of it (some writer I am!) - so maybe if I ramble a bit I'll make sense...

1. somehow get my son with Asperger's to the best and most independant place he can be (because he so wants to live on his own one day)
2. reduce our debt
3. find my spiritual "place" - I know I believe as a Christian - but I am still missing something
4. decide what I want to accomplish professionally - I have been at home with the kids, and I have so many interests - I cannot seem to narrow it down to "what I want to be when I grow up"
5. use my negative experiences to help others - turn the bad into good
Posted By: LML

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/27/08 09:34 PM

I've been thinking about this and thinking about this. I don't think it should be this hard to find my priorities! Michelle's #4 hit a chord with me. So, I think I'll take a stab at listing some.

1. Getting our finances under control (seems to be a popular one)
2. Keeping creativity in my life
3. Figure out how to be content, find some joy
4. Connecting with hubby and the kids
Posted By: "Rosie"

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/27/08 09:44 PM

My health, and my Family

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/27/08 10:34 PM

it sounds like a lot of people have creativity as a life priority I know I do and so does my DH. Should we start a thread on this one? Oh, and one on finances, too, i think. And fitness. And how to make quality time with our lived ones. Um, and one on ways to increase spirituality/serenity in our lives.

I am uncertain where these should all go.

We need to start some kind of thread index of all these related threads so we can keep helping each other. I know I am finding this very useful for me. smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/28/08 12:03 AM

Michelle - rambling definitely helps and you can always update and adjust as you go! We all get great ideas from each other and tweak smile

Those sound like fantastic priorities, and give you great directions to head in for your goals!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/28/08 12:04 AM

Laura -

Finances does seem very popular - it's good to know you're not alone! I'm sure if all of us brainstorm we will come up with some great solutions smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/28/08 12:05 AM

Rosie - health and family are certainly critical! Both are so important for long term contentment.

How about you personally, for your happiness? Is there anything you've always wanted to do or try?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/28/08 12:07 AM

Jill - I think you have a great concept of ways to help people reach their short term goals. Let's work on that over in the short term goals area, not in this priorities area, because priorities is much higher level and not conducive to details smile

Priorities should be overreaching, a nebulous cloud of "general direction for my life". That way we can set our goals to head in the right direction smile
Posted By: Bettyann - Christian Lit

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/28/08 04:50 PM

To Meg, Business Coach. How great it is that you are trying to preserve the bees! My husband has hives here on our farm and we produce honey. You are so right that most people don't understand what a true emergency this is. Yesterday on the news here the anchor repeated a quote from Einstein about if the honey bee ever becomes extinct, humans will also become extinct. It's serious business. This is one of my husband's priorities!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/30/08 10:56 PM

On one hand I really agree completely that we need to figure out the honey bee problem. On the other hand I think nature will balance out a solution. Say the problem is a louse. It is killing off say 75% of the bees because the remaining 25% are resistant. So those resistant ones will breed and multiply and soon we will have a ton of bees which are resistant to the louse.

We had these threats many years ago about killer bees, that they were going to invade the entire US and we'd have to live wearing nets over our heads all the time. That never quite happened smile

So I do definitely think we should research it, but I don't personally believe that bees will vanish from the face of the earth. I think we'll end up with stronger, better bees.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/30/08 10:58 PM

Stronger, faster bees than before! Bionic bees!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/30/08 11:11 PM

Here's the wikipedia page on this -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/04/08 09:33 PM

Now that we've been working on goals for a while, has anybody found they are refining their priority list? Are there priorities you wanted to add on - or others that you found were not quite as important?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/04/08 10:16 PM

I am still very happy with mine. smile
Posted By: BellaDeb

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/05/08 10:52 PM

Okay, I'm playing catch-up because I've been busy with other stuff. I've been writing goals forever, but I want to play along with everyone here, too!

So, my priorities are:

Balance in my life. I want to make time for all the people and things I love without losing myself in the process.

Health. I want to be healthy and fit and vibrant in all areas--mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, social.

Family and friends: I want to nurture and grow my most special relationships. And, I would like to find a life partner to grow old(er) with, maybe even marry.

Financial: Get debt-free again. Increase my savings. Make more money. Live more frugally.

Business/Career: Write more, publish more, monetize more.

My mission is to help people learn to be happier and more successful in their lives. I think these priorities and what I am doing now all speak to that, too.
Posted By: trytrynomore

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/08/08 05:06 AM

My priorities in the next five years will be:

- to learn to have a healthier relationship with my husband.
We have been at eachother's throats for almost 2 years over trying to conceive and not getting anywhere. We've both decided that 2 years is more than enough, we need a long time out, and maybe not to have children at all.
- to become a better saver, not buying things I don't need.
I just had a garage sale gettign rid of a ton of stuff that I bought less than a year ago...some things still had the tags on!!!
- to become a better housekeeper.
The house is a perpetual disaster area...lately it's gone from messy to just plain gross!
- to learn to not to be so critical of myself.
I am much harder on myself than anyone else will ever be. I don't see myself in a positive light at all. That has to change.
- to start a continous year round hobby.
I don't have a hobby, I used to be a part of a "puzzle club", but it has over the last few months broken up. I need to have interaction with others, I need at least one night a week where I have plans to do something productive and fun outside my home. Right now I feel like all I do is work, sleep, go to school and work some more.
- to take better care of myself, start getting 7 hours of sleep again, regardless of my work schedule.
Right now I work overnights and generally don't sleep until after my shifts, and even then I only sleep for 4-6 hours.
- make new/healthy friendships.
I feel like almost all my current friends I am not really close to, and the few that I actually spend time with are really dragging me down, always complaining, always binge eating together and never doing anything active or fun.
- take a vacation every summer.
I really want for us to actually save up our vacation time at work for a vacation away someplace every summer for 2 weeks. Starting this year, we just booked a cruise to Bermuda! Good start, right? :c)

And I'm sure there is more, but these are my top ones that came to mind.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/08/08 05:15 AM

Deb - those are wonderful priorities! It's a great idea to print those out and post them somewhere!

One suggestion, they always want you to phrase things in a positive manner. So rather than thinking about "debt-free" which is an absence of something, think about being "financially secure" which is a presence of something smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/08/08 05:17 AM

TryTry those are excellent priorities!! Great for you, they really seem to speak to your innermost needs!

What cruise are you going to Bermuda on? We went from Boston a few years ago and had a *blast*, we went with the whole family smile That was my very first cruise ever smile
Posted By: trytrynomore

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/08/08 05:39 AM

We're going on a Norwegian Cruise Line Ship, departing from Baltimore, Maryland. We also are going with my parents, we love spending time with them, it's nice. We went to York Beach, Maine with them last year and it was great, we all had dinner together every night, but the day was "to each his own." It's nice that my hubs likes my dad so much. :c) I'm super lucky.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/15/08 09:45 PM

TryTry I know you will have a blast, Norwegian is a great cruise line smile We went with them from Boston.

Have a super time, and it sounds like you really do have a lot of great things in your life!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/16/08 07:44 PM

OK is there anybody else there who does not have a priorities list hanging by their computer? It is SO key to make this list, so that you focus your energies! We can help you out smile Read through the various lists the rests of us have made, and then post your own! This is a key first step before any goal planning.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/16/08 07:52 PM

Mine has been so very helpful! everything i do i can now ask myself, does this lead to my priorities, or is this a direction that is not in the best use of my energies?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/18/08 03:26 AM

That is great Jill! You have been making HUGE progress in so many areas, I am so proud of you!!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/18/08 06:20 PM

smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/01/08 07:39 PM

Another idea is to set up your Outlook task list so that your priorities are categories. That way every to-do item you create is assigned to a priority naturally!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/04/08 09:34 AM

Just a reminder, after your overall priorities it's time to start organizing them into long term goals! The next thread to move on to is here:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Gillian ClassicalMusic

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/04/08 04:12 PM

I haven't set out my priorities yet but I've been thinking about it for hours since I read this strand.

1. I'd like to get my spending back under control so that I'm able to save regularly and pay the rent on time, and not keep needing parental bailing out!

2. I need to learn to control my online gaming so that there is time for other things - for months I've been doing almost nothing else and it's had rather a bad effect on things.

3. Look after my apartment and garden properly.

4. Health and fitness - I'm overweight, need to lose weight and exercise regularly.

5. With the time freed up by the online gaming reduction I want to be able to get some of my projects that I've been planning underway. I also want more time for creativity and enjoyment of my crafts and hobbies which have been sadly neglected with the gaming.
Posted By: Grace, Ethnic Beauty

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/05/08 04:17 PM

Looking at the priorities of others I realize I really only have one priority that out trumps everything and that is being: financially secure and eventually financially independent.

The reason this is a priotiy for me is that I can not do all the things I want without the financial resources to make it all happen. So this is my number 1 priority but it is also my goal, 2 in 1. Don't know if any one can understand that but for my life this is the only blockade that's keeping me form all the other important things in my life.

Many years ago after our granddaughter was born, I sat down and rerouted all my prioriies and goals. I have been woking on them ever since. In some areas I have made great stride and in others it is still a battle that I refuse to lose.

Part of those priorities were
1. To give my only daughter a real wedding which I was not able to have myself.
2. Take care of our granddaughters future and her present.
3. To have free time to enjoy my marriage since the kids are all grown now.
4. I love to travel and I want it back
5. I also love to write but find myself a little to critical of my writing not being good enough
6. I want my own ministry helping others the way others have helped me.

These are just a few of my priorities which is why finances hits the top of my priority and goals list. ANy suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: uns0007

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/07/08 01:18 PM

On Priority i just wana say that
"Personal Priorities Practical Strategies for Managing Your Life and Your Work"
Posted By: Barbara, GayLesbianEditor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/10/08 04:49 PM

I've been thinking about this. I feel like a walking cliche! My priorities this year are:

1. Getting my work organized.
2. Getting my freelance finances organized.
3. Finding ways to be more creative.
4. Making time for professional development. And money, too. See #2.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/15/08 05:18 PM

It's not a cliche to have important priorities smile They seem cliche because we all have common goals!

Those are great priorities smile I think we can ALL do better with organization! We have an entire forum dedicated to organization, so that is a great place to start! Post your most important issue there and we can help out!
Posted By: williamgeorge

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/24/08 05:04 AM

Ya that is an great idea and it will also improve a person income. It is good i think.. I will also promote this concept to my friends who in need of this great idea...
----------
george
Posted By: "Rosie"

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/24/08 09:49 AM

George, welcome to the forum, We hope you enjoy your stay!
Rosie
Posted By: username66

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/30/08 02:51 AM

Edited inappropriate material.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/01/09 11:18 AM

I'm looking again at my overall priorities in life, for 2009. Again, these are not specific goals like "lose 10 pounds". They are lifetime priorities about what you find to be important. Setting your priorities then helps you to set goals.

Looking at my 2008 priorities, I feel

* Helping others
Still a key priority for me. This is core to my being. I still especially like to help others help themselves.

* Health
Health is still key to me, even more so now. I realize even more now how I have let myself "get weak" and want to get to be more self sufficient / healthy.

* Manage Stress
I let myself get nervous / worked up about issues. I work very hard every day and put a lot of effort into doing things right. I have to learn to "let go" - that I cannot make every person happy every day no matter how much I try. I have to accept that I can only do my best. I should of course DO my best but I need to not get wound up for days and days because even my best efforts do not make everybody content.

I still feel these are my overall lifetime priorities for 2009, which is a good thing!

What are your lifestyle priorities for 2009? How have they changed from 2008?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/01/09 11:19 AM

Once you have your overall life priorities set, it's time to start working on listing out your long term five year goals -

Posted By: JillianJill

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/01/09 01:34 PM

My reply is quite short smile my priority is to love myself. That way I will always do what is in my best interests and be kind to myself and that will be good for me and good for everyone else. I believe that if I feel love for myself then I'm better placed to spread that love to others.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/02/09 05:12 AM

I do agree it's important to love yourself, but it's good if that is not your ONLY priority. You can easily love yourself and therefore harm others around you because you act selfishly, allowing others to be damaged or even deliberately damaging others to get a better situation for yourself. For example you could love yourself and feel you deserve a new car so you sell bad life insurance to hundreds of people in order to get the commissions to get yourself that new car.

By having several priorities, each with a different realm they affect, it helps to keep you in balance. What would your other priorities be?
Posted By: Ricky White

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/02/09 05:33 AM

Wonderful ��.. this is the lens, actually I was looking for. Your thread is really well to know own Priorities.
Posted By: Melissa Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/02/09 04:39 PM

This is an interesting thread and definitely timely. I had been wanting to do something like this for the New Year. But when I read it, I realize that I actually already did something like it in the spring after a graduated from graduate school. I was feeling a little anticlimactic having completed a goal that had been eight years in the making - finishing my Masters in Social Work so that I could be a mental health therapist.

I had read that sometimes people feel a little depressed and listless after completing such a goal and found myself no different. So I spent several days taking walks in the park adjacent to my home and working on my priorities and came up with two that I had been neglecting for the eight years that I was in college (and giving birth to and raising my daughter and growing a career): finances and physical health.

So my priorities are to continue with my mantra to become "physically fit and financially sound" while not neglecting my original priority that I found in college to "make a difference in the world" (right now through my social work, parenting, writing and local civic involvement).

Thanks for this process of re-affirmation.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/03/09 05:31 PM

Those sound like fantastic priorities Melissa! Being physically healthy is just SO important - many of us only realize that when we have a health issue!

I definitely can see how finishing a multi-year project can feel strange, with everything in your life now rearranging and resetting! That is awesome that you got your Masters and can now start a new chapter in your life!
Posted By: Adam Johnson

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/05/09 08:05 AM

I have been knowing that a woman have a lot of Interesting discussion.

Thanks and keep it up.
Posted By: sunshinehappy

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/05/09 02:03 PM

Priorities are sooooooooooo important - it's about keeping "first things first."

My priorities for this coming year is about staying focused on what's most important to me and my life and not getting caught up in the "emergencies" of other people. I'm not going to allow their problems to become my problems!
Posted By: LesFex

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/06/09 10:01 AM

My priorities are :
Education
Love
Money/Success

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/12/09 01:53 AM

Sunshine - so many of my books talk about how "emergencies" of other people can suck you dry. You have to set your own priorities - you can't let yourself be driven insane by other peoples' problems. Yes, you want to help them - but in a way that makes sense to you, not based on THEIR poor planning.

It is awesome that you are taking steps to work on that!! That can be super hard to deal with.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/23/09 12:07 AM

Once you have your life priorities written down, it's time to plan your long term / five year goals based on those priorities!

Setting Up your Five Year Goals
Posted By: Leah - BellaWellness Host

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/23/09 01:41 AM

I've been thinking a lot about what my priorities are since I saw this post.

I think I've got them figured out!

My priorities are:

**to actively start on the path to a career in holistic community health - that means grad school and/or peace corp - i.e. my sense of purpose in the world
**embracing my spirituality more fully
**embracing all the artsy/crafty things that make me happy
**actively loving me all the time
**becoming a financial adult

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/23/09 01:49 AM

Those are great priorities Leah!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/17/09 06:50 AM

We have many new forum members! Come share your priorities with us! What overall life goals do you focus on?

I am not doing well on my health priority, I always let that slide behind all the things on my to-do list. I have to put health items on my to-do list too smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/19/09 12:39 AM

I am finding health is becoming a higher priority for me - the older I get, the more I really appreciate how important it is to stay healthy!
Posted By: Grace, Ethnic Beauty

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/23/09 09:02 PM

Hey Lisa,

A year ago on the 24 of this month I was in the hospital emergency room. I was near death. I am doing well right now but have many medical problems right now.

When I went to the hospitalit had been at least 10 years since I've seen a doctor. Reason. Could not afford medical and still can't afford it now but I make due.

Yes health needs to a #1 priority. With out our health we are not good to any one. our families and communities included.

So actually today is the day, exactly 1 year ago I was rushed to the emergency room. So I am very serious about my healing and my health at this point in time.

My other priorities include becoming debt free, building a business to become debt free and pursue my christian writing career.

Each one of these have major action steps to take. It will take a lot of methodical planning for all this to happen.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/24/09 01:05 AM

Wow Grace that is very scary! I'm so glad you got through that!

Health can be expensive but it is very worth it. It's like having a car. It's expensive for the loan, the gas, the insurance and everything else but it is critical for many peoples' lives to have a car. Health is even more important than that. We can take health for granted until we're given a wake-up call.

Being debt free is a wonderful priority! We can help with that!
Posted By: Mattie a la Mode

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 04/01/09 02:35 AM

My priorities are; my physical and mental health my young children my husband and family life my career, mostly because I want to be a good role model for my girls. and to try and be kind and happy That's a full plate! Matte a la mode www.mattiealamode.com

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/01/09 03:10 AM

Those are good priorities Mattie, thank you for sharing that!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/01/09 03:12 AM

I looked back to my priorities I'd set back in June 2008. They were:

* helping others
* helping others help themselves
* being more healthy
* finding serenity

I do feel strongly that these are my priorities, and I do try to work towards these in my daily life. Having priorities and goals really do help your progress!

Is everybody else feeling comfortable with their priorities?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/01/09 03:24 AM

Once you get your priorities written down, it's time to move on to the five year goals!

Five Year Goals
Posted By: Sharon - Wealth Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/07/09 04:08 PM

Speaking of priorities, I'm sitting down this afternoon with a big desk calendar and mapping out my priorities for the rest of the year - it's hard to believe but there are only five months left in 2009.

I'm feeling like I have a lot of irons in the fire and I need to begin to shift, sort and prioritize. Some days I need to sit back and realize there are only 24 hours in a day!

Anyone else doing the same?

~Sharon Michaels
Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/07/09 05:15 PM

I agree completely Sharon, that is such a useful exercise to do every once in a while! You can get wrapped up in doing things that really are not part of your life plan. It's good to take stock of that.
Posted By: ReshmaHomeFinanceEditor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/10/09 07:48 PM

My priorities are enjoying nature and the outdoors and being physically fit. However, I think that the most important things in life are stretching and growing as a person; caring about others, being able to laugh at yourself and taking time for all the intangibles.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/14/10 08:58 AM

Those are great priorities Reshma, they make so much sense! Definitely growing and learning and stretching are critical for each of us as human beings smile
Posted By: YogaEditor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/14/10 06:06 PM

I tend to get chased by the "What If" monster quite a bit. From time to time he catches me! I get too bogged down with what I can/should/hope to do that I lose track of the here and now. So, my personal priorities would have to be:

Stay focused on what I'm doing at the moment (and enjoy it!)

Make one positive change every day even if it's the tiniest thing

Maintain the closeness of family and friends I love so much

Create a time budget that allows me to accomplish the following:

1) Finish what I honestly can finish within one 24 hour period

2) Have time leftover for recreation

Looking at the list it seems to be right for me. They're my priorities but not my goals. Priorities that help me reach my goals and feel great about life along the way are what I'm finding are the most important to me of all.

Nancy Welker
BellaOnline Yoga Site

Posted By: Farjana_Environment_Ed

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/14/10 07:39 PM

Hi,
I started the first day of this year with a year planner as I'm habituated to do this since I was 13 years old; inspiration-- Dale Carnegie. But I couldn't set my goal.

I need to take intensive care for my two children. My first child was born earlier and needs special attention; she is hyper active. Second one is two months old; he is also premature, he is anemic, his lungs were not fully developed. But now he is OK. I'm suffering from anemia and obesity. I needed C-section to deliver both children. And my doctor said that the first c-section was not done correctly( first one was done by another doctor)and as a result my uterus, bladder, colon,intestine are all joined with each other with some other layers( I don't know what really it means).In future, any operation to these organs will be very risky; but now, it won't do much problem,she said.

I know a lot of people are out there with more problems than me, still I think these problems will not let me step forward for a year or, two. But I love to dream.My dream is,

#To establish a charity organization which will run school and hospital for under privileged children and people with moderate income. This organization will also work to create social awareness to save our environment.

My Priorities are,

*me and my children.
*sound health( both physical and psychological)
*charity

My goal

::Though I have to pay huge loan for the apartment I bought I have decided to quit my job(I am a teacher).

:: I'll concentrate on my passion--writing,reading, singing,gardening, painting, crafting and charity.

:: I want to reduce my weight.

:: I want to start home based job.I'll search BellaOnline at first to get knowledge to start home based business/job( any suggestion?).

Thank you Lisa for your email. At last I woke up and thought about myself.....my priorities.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/14/10 09:11 PM

Wow, Farjana, you do have a full plate! But it seems like you're on the right track!

I have tons of articles on home business ideas on the SOHO website. Business Ideas

There are also articles on figuring out what business would work best for you. If you start with this one: Finding the Small Business for you and follow the link at the bottom of it and the next one, those three articles should help you come up with some ideas that would suit you.

If you have questions, feel free to post in the SOHO forum!

Good Luck!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/14/10 09:16 PM

Nancy those are great priorities! They all seem quite doable, too!

I find it really helps to write them down and post them by my monitor. That way I keep them in mind, and remember to re-focus if I start to stray!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/14/10 09:48 PM

Farjana - I love your priorities! It sounds like you have a lot of very important things on your plate but I do also think that things like YOUR health need to be important too. If you were to get sick, you wouldn't be able to care well for your children any more. So it is just as important that you stay healthy, for the family's sake.

Deb's site is an AWESOME resource for getting your business goals met!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/26/10 01:38 AM

I was just looking at my priorities again -

* helping others
* being more healthy
* finding serenity

I think I want to add to that

* keep learning

I think it is so important to keep learning new skills so that you can better help others. I might be using "old knowledge" without knowing it, when better techniques have been created. So I think that is important to add into there.

Once you have your priorities set, move on to the

Five Year Goals!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/26/10 03:35 AM

Dan has been helping my figure out my priorities. I think this is them, right now:

- peacefulness, serenity
- fitness and health
- belongingness
-self reliance
-joyfulness, creativity

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/26/10 03:38 AM

I am seriously stuck on the belongingness aspect. I think as per Maslow's Hierarchy, my issues with belongingness there keep me from being able to actually work on other things.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/26/10 03:58 AM

What does belongingness mean to you, Jilly? Because I think it's different for each of us, and, I know for me, it has been different at different stages in my life. So, I'm just curious and of course you don't have to answer!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/26/10 09:25 AM

Good question. As in having a group of peeps. I have online peeps. But no actual flesh group. I move too much, or others move away, or they have kids and don't have time for me anymore.

I know I am feeling sorry for myself, but there it is.

I am happiest when I have a small group of fun playmates. All I have really is dan (sometimes, maybe) and my dogs.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/26/10 09:43 PM

I like "actual flesh group" LOL. I know what you mean and I've found myself in that predicament at other times. Now, my family is my primary "flesh group", but I have friends I do get to see occasionally and that's enough for me. Since my breakup I have had much less social contact, but that's again somewhat my choice. I'd like to have someone to go to movies & plays & even dinner with but most of my friends are married and not available for those things.

Anyway, it seems like you know what you want and that's great. Like a lot of our goals, it can be easier said than done, but I think if you want to find those connections, you could take some actions toward it.

With my "dating" issue-- I really think I want a guy in my life but I don't seem to want to do much about making it happen! LOL--I want him gift-wrapped & put on my doorstep, I suppose. But, this doesn't often bother me, so I think it's just not a big priority for me right now. When it does become so, I think I can make it happen. If I haven't forgotten how! laugh

There are of course all sorts of things you can do to make friends wherever you are. Meetups is a good way to find like-minded people and those connections could develop into friendships. My area also has women & wine groups that I really wish I had time for! Most of my friends I met through work-related or networking events and over time, we became friends. So, if it really is a priority for you, then some action steps would be a good idea. For instance, attend one event a week or month or whatever, follow up with a coffee date or drinks meeting.

I wish you lived close to me--we'd have a blast!
Posted By: RebeccaG

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/31/10 06:14 PM

I'm having trouble trying to organize my day. I'm having now to work at an office outside the home and for a couple of months I am hectic. I have so much I need to do and need to put in some quiet time for sanity's sake.

What I am learning to do is take some time and do two things at once. I watch a woman who has dementia for about six hours a week. I take that time when she is sleeping or watching TV to get caught up on my emails and writing.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/03/10 08:13 AM

Jill - I started a separate thread just for you! We can all help out!

Deb - What specifically draws you to the idea of having a guy?

Rebecca - it sounds like you have a lot of challenging things in your world to juggle! I'll start a separate thread for us to talk about managing time!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/03/10 08:58 PM

I really like being in a relationship. I like having a romantic partner to share and plan with. Dinners, family events, future projects, etc. I have very loving, close connections with my family and friends (I feel loved and appreciated) and am perfectly happy and able to entertain myself on my own--I naver get bored. And, I really like my "me time".

But, I do often wish there was someone here to share stuff with--cooking dinner, talking over the days events, laughing at TV show, trading footrubs. Just really mundane life stuff that I think it's nice to be able to share, as well as the big stuff--it would have been great to have someone to share the birth of my granddaughter with, for instance (not that there weren't tons of people around!). I like being part of a "we". So, the bond & companionship & some romance is nice.
Posted By: Paula - Painting Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/05/10 06:25 AM

A friend has been after me for literally months to teach her more about knitting, so just after the first of the year we began a new ministry at our church. I am teaching people to knit and we are involving others who already knit to both help the beginners and to join in making items for our local nursing home and hospital.

People from other churches are joining us and we are having a wonderful time creating things to donate! I had thought this would be a short term project, but I find myself hoping it will turn into a permanent group.

If anyone knows of anything we could make to send to Haiti, please let me know. I'm afraid it is too warm there to need knitted things, but one never knows.

Just had a thought ... taking a page from Lisa's idea about things for Haiti, perhaps we could hold a craft sale and use the proceeds to send for the people there. ??????

Paula Devore
Painting Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/06/10 09:59 PM

Deb, I also like being part of a 'we' for the same reasons. Daily companionship.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/06/10 09:59 PM

Paula, the craft sale idea would really rock, i think. laugh

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/08/10 04:07 AM

So it sounds like a good priority is someone to do daily types of fun things with. Even when I was single I had good friends that I could hang out with all night long, so it doesn't have to be a singular male partner necessarily.
Posted By: JOY (Self Development)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/10/10 06:56 AM

Gosh, over 40,000 views on this subject of priorities!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/17/10 06:42 AM

Don't forget that after you set priorities, you start working on your Five Year Goals!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/17/10 09:01 PM

Lisa, that totally is something I want and long for. But with the RVing year coming up, it will simply have to wait.

If dan and i actually do Oklahoma, then I can look for a buddy there.

Yesterday dan said he doesn't think I will actually find friends in Oklahoma. That was pretty negative and upsetting. frown

In the meantime I have my small handful of IMing buddies. That helps me feel like I have some kind of social life, lol.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/18/10 10:05 PM

Hi Jill, thanks for your comment. Whether you have 5-year, 1-year, 1-month or 1-week goals, they are yours and no one has the right to prevent you from achieving them.

In life when one truly wants to achieve something, there will always be relatives, partners, friends, colleagues, etc., who will tell you that you will not attain them because of x, y and z. It could be they want to protect you, or they feel that they'll lose you, or just plain old jealousy that you know what you want and they do not.

Whatever your goals, just keep focussed and you will get what you really want. Joy.
Posted By: Lori - Marriage

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/19/10 05:58 AM

This is one of my main hurdles. I keep changing my goals or I have far too many to be able to focus on one long enough to accomplish it!

But you have helped me with your post, Joy. I will choose ONE and focus, focus, focus. Well, maybe two or three. One personal, two professional goals.

Is that too many?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/19/10 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Chi-Japanese Food
...you have helped me with your post, Joy. I will choose ONE and focus, focus, focus. Well, maybe two or three. One personal, two professional goals.

Is that too many?

In answer to your query, focusing on '3 goals' is absolutely fine. Problems emerge when you're trying to tackle 10 large goals, say, and then can't understand why you're not getting anywhere very fast. It's best to concentrate on fewer goals, achieve them and then move onto your next few.

The same holds for running businesses. It's often best to totally focus on one business, and then once it's running efficiently, to re-focus your energies onto the second business that caught your eye. (JOY)
Posted By: Lori - Marriage

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/21/10 05:25 PM

This might sound overreaching but it is true. This thread may have saved my life. I have been so overwhelmed with far too many goals that no meaningful progress was being made.

But now that I have chosen to narrow them down to only three, here they are:

1. Help my daughter (who is dying) live as healthful, painfree and fulfilling life as possible. Help her prepare for death by joyful living so there will be no regrets or fears.

2. Write, write, write. Send out all of my creative work with courage and in the spirit of sharing. They spring forth from my life's experiences and just maybe there could be something worthwhile to leave behind as a sort of "legacy." Stories, family history, etc.

3. Manage my diabetes. It has been untreated and out-of-control for years! At first, this didn't seem that important to me because I felt that we all die of something. And I did not want to linger long after my daughter passes even though I still have a husband and soon-to-be-married son who will provide grandchildren.

But I should try to do something to take better care of this body that God gave me. It is a gift and I feel that I would be unappreciative if I misused it or took it for granted. And I do not want anyone else to have to take care of me. Taking care of my diabetes is important, and it is a gift to my husband and son as they profess to want me around a little longer.

So thank you again, Joy, for helping me prioritize my life. It really feels good to know what to focus on.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/22/10 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Chi-Japanese Food
This might sound overreaching but it is true. This thread may have saved my life�
...So thank you again, Joy, for helping me prioritize my life. It really feels good to know what to focus on.

I am delighted that prioritising has helped! As you say, your health is indeed a gift and should always come first. If you can look after it as much as you can, Emotional Health and Emotional Wealth (yours plus that of your loved ones) will automatically follow.

Regarding loved ones, you seldom realise that people around you love you far more than you can ever imagine. It�s often very hard for your closest loved ones to tell you just how much they truly love you. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/30/10 11:47 PM

You are right, Joy, that there will always be people telling you you cannot attain something. I don't even think people realize that is how they come across.

In this case, though, Dan is saying that b/c I am a liberal agnostic with a strong bent towards saving the environment, that I will not find like-minded people in OK. His sister lived in OK for a decade and made no friends. Too bad she doesn't live there now; i'd have at least one buddy.

Originally Posted By: JOY (Self Development Ed)
Hi Jill, thanks for your comment. Whether you have 5-year, 1-year, 1-month or 1-week goals, they are yours and no one has the right to prevent you from achieving them.

In life when one truly wants to achieve something, there will always be relatives, partners, friends, colleagues, etc., who will tell you that you will not attain them because of x, y and z. It could be they want to protect you, or they feel that they'll lose you, or just plain old jealousy that you know what you want and they do not.

Whatever your goals, just keep focussed and you will get what you really want. Joy.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/31/10 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Jilly
...Dan is saying that b/c I am a liberal agnostic with a strong bent towards saving the environment, that I will not find like-minded people in OK...

Hi Jilly, if you type into Google one or two of the characteristics of the people you are seeking followed by the word 'Oklahoma' I am certain that you will find all sorts of societies and groups of like-minded people.

Then simply let them know that you'll be arriving soon and would love to meet up or just communicate by email initially. There are many new adventures waiting for you there � enjoy them! (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/08/10 08:14 AM

I like this idea, Joy. You are right on. Much as I decry my computer oriented life, it really helps organize communities, doesn't it?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/08/10 12:20 PM

I like this idea, Joy. You are right on. Much as I decry my computer oriented life, it really helps organize communities, doesn't it?
Hi Jilly, yes, today's computers are so powerful. As just one of zillions of examples, I was looking for a recipe for a Vegan friend who ate no meat, fish, eggs, cheese or milk. In just a few seconds I found the most delicious recipes - as well as several new Vegan friends!(JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/04/10 07:00 AM

Jilly - your life has really worked out wonderfully for you - you are in a location where people are very aware of the environment and where you can make fun friends! And you already know some cool recycling / reusing types of folks!

Having your priorities set in your mind really does help you with your life choices!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/04/10 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
...Having your priorities set in your mind really does help you with your life choices!
Lisa, re your tip on setting priorities, I met someone the other day whose priority-list only comprised things that made them truly happy. When it came to life choices or general decision-making, they therefore only chose pathways that made them feel great inside. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/05/10 03:30 AM

Thinking about my priorities helped me set up this whole thing in AZ with my new home. I realized I did NOT want to be in Oklahoma and I did NOT want to keep moving. I realized I wanted to be in AZ. So then it was a matter of being open to ways of making being in AZ happen.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/05/10 06:25 AM

Thinking about my priorities helped me set up this whole thing in AZ with my new home. I realized I did NOT want to be in Oklahoma and I did NOT want to keep moving. I realized I wanted to be in AZ. So then it was a matter of being open to ways of making being in AZ happen.
That's it Jilly. Follow your heart and do what you truly want to do and the rest will follow. New opportunities will land on your lap. It's then just a matter of 'seeing' them and taking action. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/05/10 09:41 PM

Thanks Joy. Following my heart is difficult. Since I have a naturally flakey personality, I tend not to trust it. So I've closed it off over the years and made one mistake after the other in following my head.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/09/10 01:51 PM

Thanks Joy. Following my heart is difficult. Since I have a naturally flakey personality, I tend not to trust it. So I've closed it off over the years and made one mistake after the other in following my head.
Jilly, just as an experiment for one day say, whatever decisions you have to make, make them by listening to your 'gut feelings' only. So ignore your head, your heart, etc., and just ask yourself if it feels right in your 'gut'. If the answer is "yes", just go for it. Let me know what happens! (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/21/10 01:45 AM

Well, as I was saying I can't find my gut/heart (i see them as the same thing) anymore. So it's a lot deeper than listening to it. I have no idea where it is. frown

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/21/10 05:51 PM

Well, as I was saying I can't find my gut/heart (i see them as the same thing) anymore. So it's a lot deeper than listening to it. I have no idea where it is. frown
Hi Jilly, here is a way to find your �gut feeling�. Suppose a large dog had slipped at a river bank and had fallen into the water. You could see it struggling against the current to no avail. The immediate feeling you get is a �wave� that moves across your entire body in a split second but then concentrates around your gut area. It is in essence a sensation of knowing what is right to do. This is your 'gut feeling'.

But then other things kick in:

* Your heart might say �Go over to its owner and offer some practical advice.�
* Your head might say �I would help it but it�s a very large dog and I would never be able to drag it to safety.�
* Your body might experience the �fright and flight� response or you may just freeze with the shock of it all.

Hope that helps a little...(JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/23/10 06:37 AM

i actually do really well in emergency situations. I click over into this experienced, decisive, authoritative person who saves the dog with ease.

my problems are - as always - with the small things that have no real empathetic, ethical or emotive value.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/26/10 10:27 AM

i actually do really well in emergency situations. I click over into this experienced, decisive, authoritative person who saves the dog with ease. my problems are - as always - with the small things that have no real empathetic, ethical or emotive value.
Hi Jilly, I would guess that people would prefer to have someone like you around, who takes action when major things happen, than someone who fretted about the small things in life. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/26/10 09:44 PM

That is nice of you to say, and thank you. In dangerous situations I am good to have around. But in non-dangerous situations - like pretty much all the time - I constantly sweat the small stuff. Never knowing what the right choice is. It's exhausting.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/26/10 10:01 PM

That is nice of you to say, and thank you. In dangerous situations I am good to have around. But in non-dangerous situations - like pretty much all the time - I constantly sweat the small stuff. Never knowing what the right choice is. It's exhausting.
Hi Jilly, have you come across the series of little books entitled 'Don't Sweat The Small Stuff' by Richard Carlson? (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/27/10 12:30 AM

Yes i have. This is an emotional problem, not an intellectual one. I can read about it til the end of time but it doesn't help. frown
Posted By: Suzannemb

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/27/10 12:58 AM

I had a daughter who was a special needs child that passed away at age 4. I learned from her to cherish my family and the time I have with my now 22 month old daughter who is happy and healthy. My top priority is to take care of my daughter, and build my business so that I can have the freedom to help other special needs families.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/27/10 08:17 AM

Yes i have. This is an emotional problem, not an intellectual one. I can read about it til the end of time but it doesn't help. frown
Ah, I see what you mean now. Do you think it's related to your self-worth? (See: Self Worth : How To Increase It) JOY

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/27/10 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Suzannemb
I had a daughter who was a special needs child that passed away at age 4. I learned from her to cherish my family and the time I have with my now 22 month old daughter who is happy and healthy. My top priority is to take care of my daughter, and build my business so that I can have the freedom to help other special needs families.
Hi Suzanne, thank you for the above. I was also touched to read your story on your website. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/30/10 03:18 AM

Joy, quite possibly that is exactly what it all boils down to. I'll do some thinking about that article. Thanks. <3

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/21/10 10:29 PM

Posting your priorities by your computer can really help a lot! They are about those core beliefs you have. They're not concrete goals. They're "beyond" goals. They are why the goals are important to you smile

Jilly - now that you are settling in, are your priorities becoming more clear?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/22/10 01:42 AM

Well i am learning what my priorities aren't. That's a start.

They are not to move any more. i want to settle into a life and town, and only travel if i feel like it.

They are not to let thing pile up behind me into this overwhelming stack of to dos that paralyses action and gives me an excuse to meltdown.

Not to work just for the sake of the income. To figure out the minimal i need to be happy and feel safe, and then spend the rest of my time in leisure pursuits.

What I do want:

A car that I take care of, that is reliable
fresh food
emotional support
Health needs that I am on top of
time for me: creativity, yoga, being outdoors
a clean and organized life space, where I know where everything is

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/22/10 08:58 AM

Well i am learning what my priorities aren't...
What I do want...
Hi Jilly, to have sorted out in your mind what you do do and do not want is a huge exercise. Your list of 'wants' is a good one for looking after both your body and mind. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/22/10 09:04 PM

Jilly - those are great goals in life! So let's figure out what priorities underlay those goals, and then you can post them by your computer!

So the not moving and a sturdy, reliable car both seem to point to stability. Stability is a great priority!

The food / emotional support / health all points to a health priority, which is on my priority list too, and is on many editors' priority lists. That's great!

The clean and organized world around you is sort of stability, but I'd make that separate and put that into an "ordered" category. That way you can sort out goals that work towards both of these priorities. I don't have order on my list, but you've made me realize that I *should* because it is such a problem for me. Maybe that's why I haven't made much progress, because it's not on my list! So thank you!!

Then we have the creativity / yoga / being outdoors which ties into your serenity and peace of mind. So that definitely is a key priority.

How is that for a list of priorities, to go with your statements?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/22/10 09:07 PM

I was just realizing that every time I want to revisit my priorities and goals that I have to go digging through these threads to figure out what I last posted. Which is sort of silly smile So I have made up an actual Word Document, with a pretty font, which has my

* overall priorities

* five year goals

* one year goals

That way I can hang this by my desk and have it all right there! It's much more likely I'll focus on them if I can remember and see them!

So my current overall priorities are:
* helping others (directly)
* being more healthy
* finding serenity
* keep learning
* order / organization

The next step after laying out your overall priorities is to work on the five year goals, that line up with those priorities!

Five Year Goals

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/22/10 10:54 PM

Okay, that sounds good. Stability, health/fitness, serenity, creativity, order, and I'd like to add joy.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/22/10 11:06 PM

Joy! What a wonderful addition, Jilly! Your priority list looks absolutely beautiful smile Do you have somewhere you can post those?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/22/10 11:17 PM

Okay, i wrote those on three post its and hung one in my bedroom, one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen.

I can't put one in the office - I will never see it under all the to do notes. smile

However in the office I do have a note that says, "Find the Quiet path through the middle"

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/26/10 12:03 AM

Jilly - that is great! Remind yourself daily of all you have achieved already, and what your priorities are for your happy future!

I have posted my priorities, my 5 year goals, and my 1 year goals right next to me on my desk. I will look at it each morning, to remind myself of what I need to focus on.
Posted By: Susan-Colleges

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/26/10 01:35 AM

I really like your idea of starting with priorities.

Priorities

1. My family is my first priority. It is by far the most important thing to me. I want to help my daughter as she is preparing for school and just be a good mother in general. I want to take my daughter places and introduce her to new activities, ideas, and more. And I want to maintain a great relationship with my husband and spend time with him.

Other priorities are in no particular order

2. Fixing up my home and making it a nice place to be. Some thing of this is possible but difficult because I have a 4-year-old with me all of the time. But, I am doing what I can, when I can. Some of the things I want to do, I cannot afford right now. But eventually, I hope to do many things to make our place much nicer.

3. To further with my career. I would really love to pursue writing or something related to it (for pay).

4. Maintain relationships with close friends who live very far away.

5. Make close friends in the area we live now. I do have some friends, but it has been difficult for me to form close friendships. One reason is that I live in a very homogeneous area and my beliefs are very different from most people around me.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/26/10 07:53 AM

Those are great priorities Susan, and all are nice and concrete so we can then create goals that head you in those directions!

The next step is to head on over to the goals thread, and think about long term goals which move you towards all of your priorities!
Posted By: Robin - Card Games Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/26/10 09:18 AM

Work (pays the bills, gives benefits that I cannot get on my own and I am a diabetic)

Jewelry business/handmade and manufactured

Writing

ps...I am living for the animals and will be tithing 10% of my income to animal charities, both local and national.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/26/10 11:44 AM

Robin - it sounds like health should be in there too, it's that health is your priority and work is a way you reach that priority!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/29/10 11:32 PM

I know i need to head over to the One Year and Five Year Goals threads, but am balking at trying to figure out any goals that are further away than a week or two. Everything always changes so drastically in my life that I now have a fear of trying to work out anything long term.

I will work up my courage to try again. Hopefully soonish. I am hopeful for once that i will be stable enough in my living situation to try once more.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/29/10 11:44 PM

Long term does not mean permanent smile It doesn't mean have-to-be-done. It just means you have a direction you'd like your life to head in, just like you have priorities! You are able to contemplate priorities to guide your life by - think of the 5 year goals in the same way. They are - for now - what you'd like to guide your life by.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 10/01/10 09:13 AM

I was looking over my priorities today and I really do feel like I'm making progress in each area! It makes me quite happy. I think I have finally gotten my priorities straight smile I need to carve a little more time for the "finding serenity" one - that one is the one that tends to get abandoned a bit!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 10/01/10 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
� I need to carve a little more time for the "finding serenity" one - that one is the one that tends to get abandoned a bit!
Lisa, you can actually �find serenity� in a split second by designating a specific image to take you to that �place�. This could be a bud opening into a flower, a bowl of piping hot low carb stew, or whatever. By totally focusing on your chosen image for even just a few seconds, you can have instantaneous serenity in the middle of any chaos! (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/05/10 02:02 AM

Joy -

That is a wonderful reminder. Sometimes we put off things because we think huge, and then we never do anything. Sometimes it's better to at least take small steps, because those small steps add up.

I do try to journal every evening before i fall asleep, and those moments of journaling now include me lighting a candle on either side of me and feeling grateful for what I had during the day. So those are serene moments for me. I will appreciate those even more, now that I realize they are part of what I've been hoping for as a priority in life!

For everyone reading the thread, remember that once you create your priorities in life, the next step is to set up your five year goals based on them!

Setting Up Five Year Goals

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/05/10 04:40 AM

I still am pretty happy with my priorities list. Joy became Joy/Fun. Fun for me is having my little adventures, which makes me joyful.

Now that I moved my office into my actual house, I needed to rework my priorities list in here somehow rather than just on a Post It in the RV. I wrote them on the wall, which is fine, because the paint in here is terrible and will need remodeling anyway. Later.

LOL. It's like i am drawing a vision board on my wall! Why didn't i think of that before? We all instinctively drew on the walls as children. So as grownups it should be okay to draw on our own spaces. smile

So i need to just look over at my wall now and ask myself what i am doing to further my priorities.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/05/10 03:20 PM

� It's like i am drawing a vision board on my wall! Why didn't i think of that before? We all instinctively drew on the walls as children. So as grownups it should be okay to draw on our own spaces. smile So i need to just look over at my wall now and ask myself what i am doing to further my priorities.
Hi Jilly, you�re right. When we return to doing things that we used to do instinctively as children, we definitely become more creative! (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/07/10 01:42 AM

Jilly - that is SO COOL! The idea of drawing on my walls with crayons is incredibly appealing!!

I should get some big pieces of paper, hang them on my walls, and draw big pictures of vision boards. That would make me so incredibly happy smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/07/10 04:59 PM

Of course, I want to see pictures of your vision board walls!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/09/10 12:38 PM

ok well first I need to find some cheap large pieces of paper. I suppose I could tape lots of regular pieces of paper together but somehow that seems like a giant mess ...

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/09/10 09:37 PM

I'd suggest a roll of butcher paper or the paper teachers cover bulletin boards with (I think it's called craft paper or kraft paper). It's cheap & very convenient for this type of thing. And, you can find rolls of plain paper in gift wrap sections or packaging supply or office supply stores if you want a smaller roll to start with--white or brown are both pretty widely available.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/09/10 09:39 PM

Oh, or if you want something you don't have to cut, a pad of plain flip-chart paper would be probably perfect.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/12/10 11:08 PM

ooo I have tons of gift wrap paper upstairs that I've had for YEARS and never used. I could just use the back side of that! Thank you for the idea!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/19/10 02:11 AM

Wrapping paper is a great idea. Don't forget after the holidays you can get used rolls for a song at thrift shops.
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/19/10 10:25 PM

My priorities shifted somewhat by partipating in Nano. I hope to finish up early next week and then put that project aside so I can get back into the swing of my Bella Online activities including e-books. It probably really is time to revisit my Vision Board.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/20/10 09:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Dianne W - Editor
My priorities shifted somewhat by partipating in Nano. I hope to finish up early next week and then put that project aside so I can get back into the swing of my Bella Online activities including e-books. It probably really is time to revisit my Vision Board.
Hi Dianne, all the best for your two major projects - Nano and e-books! (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/21/10 01:56 AM

I've been really happy with my priority list. I think it's whittled down to exactly where i want to be. It's so useful to have it written on my wall to refer to.

I can ask myself: does THIS task bring me closer to my priorities? Is there something else i can be doing that will?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/21/10 12:19 PM

I've been really happy with my priority list. I think it's whittled down to exactly where i want to be. It's so useful to have it written on my wall to refer to. I can ask myself: does THIS task bring me closer to my priorities? Is there something else i can be doing that will?
Hi Jilly, the next step is to choose something from that list and action 'it' (or part of 'it') daily. In essence, every day do something that takes you closer to what you truly want in life. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/26/10 11:46 AM

Jilly - that is fantastic, you have polished your priority list over time to become a guiding light for your life! Well done!

I agree that having my priority list printed out and hanging next to my desk is very helpful!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/26/10 10:13 PM

Thanks, Lisa. I am so happy to have this accomplished. I will keep checking each year to see if things remain the same, but i have a feeling these are the perfect items for my life's framework.

I really appreciate having had the support here to do this.

Right, Joy. Those are things i am discussing in my goals threads. :)No need to fritter away my life energy on things that don't relate to my priorities. smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/27/10 11:07 PM

We're approaching 2011! Does everyone have their priorities posted by their computer? Are there any changes or tweaks to them as we start a new year?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/28/10 01:38 AM

Here is my list, same as last year:

Stability, health/fitness, serenity, creativity, order, joy/fun. So six main areas to work with.

The most challenging ones for me are...well...all of them, really.

For example, I am more stable right now in that I am not moving every few months, but another move might be looming on my horizon for 2011. But at this moment I am more stable than i have been in years. Many years.

And up until just this week, there was no serenity in my life for more than a few moments. But I might have found the right mix of antidepressants and antianxiety meds, because i feel pretty peaceful these last few days.

Health/fitness is probably the easiest category for me, but i still need to give myself the gift of this kind of time and attention. It's easy to get wrapped up in work all day every day, and not workout or eat right.

Creativity is another one i need to give myself the gift of time and attention to. It's too easy to let this one slide.

Order is huge for me - it's still a wreck in the house and I have *just* begun to make some sense in the RV I am living in. Specifically (in the RV) i have the kitchen, desk and living area worked out now, but the bedroom and bathroom areas are piled high with stuff on every surface. The cabinets are a shambles. I also need to figure out what goes in the basements. My car is also piled high with random things, like a moving closet. I hate living in jumbled mess. I want to go easy on myself because of the depression, but I really can't feel content when everything is just everywhere.

Joy/Fun is very challenging because I have nobody to do things with. I hike alone, explore towns alone, make plans alone, watch movies alone and go everywhere and do everything alone. I would love to share some things with people but have chosen a town where this is very difficult. Everyone I can have adventures with lives at least an hour and half away, so there really aren't any easy evenings out, or spontaneous walks in the park.

So I think the only thing that would work is to make time for solo activities that bring me joy. Which, like creativity and fitness, involves that limited resource of TIME.

Breaking all this down was really enlightening - I recommend others try it.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/28/10 02:23 PM

Regarding priorities, making 'S.M.A.R.T decisions' will help here too.

See: SMART Decisions

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/03/11 12:44 AM

Jill - that was great! It sounds like you have your priorities well in order, and now it's a matter of taking slow, regular steps towards them!

My priority list from last year was:

helping others (directly)
helping others help themselves
being more healthy
finding serenity
keep learning
order / organization

I think in looking at this now that I can do a better job of phrasing things. All those "ings" seem like extra reading smile

OK.

* Help Others Directly
No need for parenthesis here. This is still a main priority for me. It is what brings me joy.

* Help Others Help Themselves
I feel strongly about this one as well. If I can get someone running on the right path, they can thrive for their entire life. I very much love this image. I want to give them the tools they need to succeed wherever they go.

* Be Healthy
The "more" makes it sound like I'm not healthy now, which we know from vision board statements is something to avoid. We want to envision ourselves NOW being the way we wish. Every day I want to make healthy choices for myself. This encompasses body and mind.

* Be Serene
Again I need to avoid the "finding" word. I can do everything so much more fluidly and easily when I start from a serene space. I can help others, help myself, achieve my goals. Serenity is a foundation for that.

* Learn and Grow
It is easy to get comfortable in a rut. But when your mind gets locked in a track, you miss out on countless opportunities. I want to, every day, practice out-of-box thinking so I am always in that mindset, that a solution and better path can be found. The more you practice on the quiet days, the easier it is to find solutions when trouble hits.

* Organize My World
I think this phrasing helps in many ways. First, I know the chaos of my house bothers me a lot. I have to hunt to find important papers. I have stacks of books all over my office. It is a constant stress / reminder of all my backlogged work.

The same is true for my online world. There are so many to-do emails everywhere, it is a source of stress. I need to make progress on that.

I think it also helps to remind me to focus on MY world. It can be easy sometimes to get wrapped up in how family members feel and what they expect. I have to remember that their issues are in THEIR world. I cannot change other people. I can only change myself and how I choose to react to things. I need to focus on my own environment and the things I have control over.

So that is my new priority list for 2011!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/03/11 02:37 AM

Well, I checked and my last priority list in this thread was done in 2008 :P

My priorities for 2011 are:

Be Healthy
Make healthy choices!

Nurture my Family Relationships
Date night with hubby and game night with kids - to start!

Make money through my websites {here and my personal site}.
I'd really like to be able to support my family. Then hubby could retire early to build hot rods.

Feel Peaceful

Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/03/11 02:49 AM

My priorities are to be able to spend more time with those that I love--includes my human and pet family members, plus my friends.

My health is a major priority. I do a lot better than I have in the past, but there is so much room for improvement.

I will write more and find a source of income from writing. This will allow me to do more with priorities one and two.

I will continue to find ways to help others reach their potential. Although I may be retired from a regular gig in the classroom in five years, I will never stop helping others. It's part of who I am.

Posted By: AppleAnnie

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/03/11 03:05 AM

This is a great place for me to glean from others; TY for sharing your lists. I have learned a lot here. Especially that it seems making great strides requires breaking things down into small, do-able parts and that staying focused on the goals (not allowing energy wasting distractions )&amp; actually &quot;Doing&quot; is just as important as listing things.
Posted By: Anne, Current Events

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/03/11 04:35 AM

My priority is to continue what I committed to in November, 2009 until it's finished. I have rearranged my entire life to accomodate this goal, and will continue to do so. Everything else falls second. I'm grateful for the health, time, wealth (or not), family, peace and life that I have. I donate to charities, I facilitate writers' groups, I write, I love, and I do everything I can to keep my world in balance - that's my responsibility to myself and the rest of the world, and I'm willing to live up to it.
Posted By: Sherry-Asthma

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/03/11 10:00 AM

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I'm a bit late in joining this conversation. I've been sick and then busy with the holidays.

I'm afraid this is a bit long--but as I was typing it just flowed out. My priorities for the next five years will health, income, family, finding more time to feed my spirit, helping others, learning Czech, learning more about photography.

Health: I have severe allergies and asthma, and have a daily regime to follow to help me stay healthy. I have to mostly stay at home where the environment is controlled to avoid dust, chemicals, and more. My friends and family sometimes tease me and call me the "Bubble Girl" smile I'm OK with that as we need to have a sense of humor to help ourselves and our situations--at least it helps me. Anyway, I would like to lose some weight I've gained from living here, in the Czech Republic where heavy, fattening foods are the norm! Losing weight will also help my asthma and overall health.

Income: My husband and I rely mostly on his salary, but he is facing a reduction in salary this year (starting today) as a result of the austerity package passed by the Czech government. All state employees' salaries will be cut by 10%. I currently have almost four income streams: writing, research, proofreading, photography. I would like to further develop these to increase my income.

Family: Family is so important to me. I am caught between two continents--North America and Europe--with family responsibilities on both sides of the ocean. I'm online almost daily with my kids, my parents and even my 96 year-old grandmother! That helps so much. I would like to enhance the relationship between my husband and I. He works long hours and travels, so we need to make the most of the time we have when we are together.

Feeding my spirit: I would love to find more ways to fill my spiritual needs. Daily quiet time is hard to find, but I feel this is necessary for me. I would like to carve out time from a busy day for a daily quiet time to spend in prayer, reading and reflection.

Helping Others: Like many of you, I enjoy helping others. I'm very happy to be a new editor here--Bella has become one of the ways I am able to reach more people and possibly help them. Bella's helping me to fill this priority, but I would like to find more ways to help others. I'm just not sure how to go about finding those ways.

Learning Czech: This might sound like a strange priority, but I've been living in the Czech Republic for four years and have only minimal Czech language skills. I've learned two other languages, but find Czech to be very difficult. So, this is a priority for me as I'll be living here indefinitely. I have both Czech and English-speaking friends, but I would like to be able to talk with Czechs who don't speak English--like with my Czech family. My mother-in-law complains that I can't understand her. Well, this might actually be a saving grace! smile Anyway, I want to speak more Czech to make my living here more comfortable.

Learn more about photography: This is another priority. I've always loved to take beautiful photos, but especially feel this urge living overseas. I use the pictures I take to create items to sell online, and share photos with my family and friends back home. I'm looking to study photography (on my own as I can't afford classes) as it would help further develop one of my income streams.
Posted By: Helen Doll Making Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/03/11 12:20 PM

Hi All,

Yeah, I'm a little late (a lot late) coming to post on this topic. I usually tend not to want to share publicly, so when this topic first started I just made my list and started working toward it. After 2 moves it has been lost but I did have some good results. I wrote my ebook and went from size 16 jeans to size 9. I'm still at that size, 2 years later, YAY.

So I wrote another list, in no particular order, and decided to be brave and share it:

Work from home. I want to be able to make money from my dolls and crafts. Not a fortune, just enough to be able to stay home.

Be as healthy as I can be. I'm 57, DH is 41, but disabled, so most everything falls on my shoulders and that's OK, but I need to be able to keep doing it.

Serenity. Financial security and order/ organization in my life and home.

Find local friends. This may sound dumb, but I was 45 when I left New Jersey and it has been impossible for me to make friends of my own here in Missouri. Making lasting friends has always been hard for me and with the difference in people here, well....

Have a home that belongs to us. We lost our house 3 years ago and have moved 3 times since then, we're renting a house now, which is a big step forward for us, out of MIL's place, etc. But still not the same as our own home.

Posted By: Nerdy Millennial

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/03/11 03:46 PM

Personally, my goals are to serve God, spend more time with family, help others, and be able to do the things I love in life.

For our family this means getting out of debt and make a comfortable income by doing things that my husband and I both enjoy so that he can stop working where he does NOT find joy.

One things my husband and I need to work on right now is communication. It's tough! We both have goals and wants, but as a family we need to compromise on the order in which those happen sometimes (or how to get there.)
Posted By: Georgia, AK Tatter

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/03/11 05:27 PM

Every day is a new opportunity. This year I want to retrain myself to use my time to the fullest extent. I want to find the joy in every day and share it.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Dreams/Inspiration Editor
Well, I checked and my last priority list in this thread was done in 2008 :P

My priorities for 2011 are:

Be Healthy
Make healthy choices!

Nurture my Family Relationships
Date night with hubby and game night with kids - to start!

Make money through my websites {here and my personal site}.
I'd really like to be able to support my family. Then hubby could retire early to build hot rods.

Feel Peaceful

Dear Deanna -

Those are great priorities! Priorities are overall lifelong things to aim goals at, so the 'date night' goes onto your goals list. It's a goal that helps you towards your overall priority of nurturing family relationships. That way you can target your goal and achieve it!

The making money also sounds like a goal towards a priority of being financially stable. That's a great priority! So that helps to tune your priority list a bit, so you can then head on to make your long term goals and thrive!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Connie from ADD
My priorities are to be able to spend more time with those that I love--includes my human and pet family members, plus my friends.

My health is a major priority. I do a lot better than I have in the past, but there is so much room for improvement.

I will write more and find a source of income from writing. This will allow me to do more with priorities one and two.

I will continue to find ways to help others reach their potential. Although I may be retired from a regular gig in the classroom in five years, I will never stop helping others. It's part of who I am.

Dear Connie -

Those are all great priorities to build your long term and short term goals around! The only one I might tweak is the third one. It sounds like you have a priority of being financially stable - and you'll have goals of writing more to achieve that! Does that sound right?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Anne, Current Events
My priority is to continue what I committed to in November, 2009 until it's finished. I have rearranged my entire life to accomodate this goal, and will continue to do so. Everything else falls second. I'm grateful for the health, time, wealth (or not), family, peace and life that I have. I donate to charities, I facilitate writers' groups, I write, I love, and I do everything I can to keep my world in balance - that's my responsibility to myself and the rest of the world, and I'm willing to live up to it.

Dear Anne -

It's good to have long term and short term goals, and certainly the goals all change in their rankings! For your life-long priorities, those tend to be stable, they are your overall guiding star. So it's good to list those out and remember that they are always there!

So for example I have a priority of "Be Healthy" and I also have a priority of "Learn and Grow". It might be that in the coming weeks my short term goals are to focus on my schooling, which is fine! I always know that I have the "Be Healthy" on my overall priority list, and that I'll get back to that sometime smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Sherry-Asthma
Hi Everyone,
Sorry I'm a bit late in joining this conversation. I've been sick and then busy with the holidays.

I'm afraid this is a bit long--but as I was typing it just flowed out. My priorities for the next five years will health, income, family, finding more time to feed my spirit, helping others, learning Czech, learning more about photography.

Health:
Income:
Family:
Feeding my spirit:
Helping Others:
Learning Czech:
Learn more about photography:

This is a great start at a priority list! Your priorities are your guiding stars - they are things that your long term and short term goals aim towards. So rather than "income", think about "financially stable". You then set goals to help you towards that, by raising your income for example.

Rather than "learning Czech" - which is a goal - I think the priority that would go with that would be "being comfortable and fluent in my new home". Learning Czech is one goal to help you reach that aim!

I'm torn on the photography one. That seems to be a goal to match your priority of being financially stable - and it also feeds your spirit. I'm not sure that's a priority on its own, it is more of a doubly beneficial goal! What do you think?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 03:01 AM

I have been being decently good to myself this week with my priorities. I mentioned i would give myself the gift of time for serenity, creativity, health/fitness, order and joy.

So over the last few days i have been giving myself some gifts of time. I have been using my massage machines (ones for legs, feet, back and shoulders) for at least 15 minutes a day (for serenity and health). I had a two hour walk yesterday while talking to Dan on the phone about the meaning of Pi (health and joy), and have been allowing myself to spend time on cleaning things in here (to create more order). I want to sneak a ten minute meditation back into my life as well, and the 20 minute legs up the wall yoga pose.

I am not being good to myself about creativity. Why does this seem to be the lowest priority on my totem pole of time? I feel such flow when I am being artistic and I never let myself do any art. I am not really going to stress about this one right now, though, since I am being good to myself in those other ways.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Helen Doll Making Editor
Hi All,

Yeah, I'm a little late (a lot late) coming to post on this topic. I usually tend not to want to share publicly, so when this topic first started I just made my list and started working toward it. After 2 moves it has been lost but I did have some good results. I wrote my ebook and went from size 16 jeans to size 9. I'm still at that size, 2 years later, YAY.

So I wrote another list, in no particular order, and decided to be brave and share it:

Work from home. I want to be able to make money from my dolls and crafts. Not a fortune, just enough to be able to stay home.

Be as healthy as I can be. I'm 57, DH is 41, but disabled, so most everything falls on my shoulders and that's OK, but I need to be able to keep doing it.

Serenity. Financial security and order/ organization in my life and home.

Find local friends. This may sound dumb, but I was 45 when I left New Jersey and it has been impossible for me to make friends of my own here in Missouri. Making lasting friends has always been hard for me and with the difference in people here, well....

Have a home that belongs to us. We lost our house 3 years ago and have moved 3 times since then, we're renting a house now, which is a big step forward for us, out of MIL's place, etc. But still not the same as our own home.

First, congratulations for your successes! You're doing *great*!! smile

The first one seems to be a priority of being financially secure. That way you can choose what you do with your time. That's a great aim!

The local friends one is GREAT. You will find MANY editors here have that exact same problem. Every person deserves a local support group! Good for you for making that a priority!

I'm torn on the house one. That is a specific thing which is normally a goal. Your priority is a secure, happy home. I.e. maybe in the long run that can be best solved with a leased location! You never know. For the priority, you figure out what that underlying core value is. Does it really have to be a physically owned house?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Vanessa - Pregnancy
Personally, my goals are to serve God, spend more time with family, help others, and be able to do the things I love in life.

Dear Vanessa -

Those are awesome priorities! And it sounds like financial stability adds into that! That then helps you set up your long term goals to work towards those - well done!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 04:15 AM

Just a reminder to everyone that once they have their life-long priorities in place, it's time to set up long term goals to head in that direction!

Five Year Goals

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 04:16 AM

Dear Jilly -

I think you should create a fresh thread in the Creativity forum and we can consider ways to gently increase your creativity tokens in your world!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By: AppleAnnie
This is a great place for me to glean from others; TY for sharing your lists. I have learned a lot here...
Hi AppleAnnie, thanks for dropping by. Glad it's been useful! (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/04/11 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Georgia, AK Tatter
Every day is a new opportunity. This year I want to retrain myself to use my time to the fullest extent. I want to find the joy in every day and share it.
Hi Georgia, great time-management and finding/sharing joy are very powerful tools to have in your kit. Let us know how you get on! (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/09/11 02:05 AM

Great idea on the creativity theme, Lisa! I created a thread on that here - Sneaking Creativity into your Day
Posted By: mazda

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/11/11 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info....

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/12/11 11:30 AM

Welcome Mazda - we're always happy to help new members with their priorities!
Posted By: Shanda - Candlemaking

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/13/11 02:54 AM

I guess my life priorities would be health, financial stability and happiness right now. Some goals would be to quit smoking by end of year, have $100 in savings by end of year and not be behind on any bills, and yeah, thinking on the happiness one. I'm such a serious minded person and I need some joy in life!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/13/11 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Shanda - Candlemaking
I guess my life priorities would be health, financial stability and happiness right now...

Hi Shanda, welcome! Regarding your happiness priority, do have a look at this article:

True Happiness - 5 Simple Ways To Experience It

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/16/11 01:45 PM

Shanda - those are great priorities! With your priorities all organized, come on over into our goals thread where we can help you out with those step by step!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/18/11 12:46 AM

I was looking again at my overall priorities in life -

OVERALL PRIORITIES
* Help Others Directly
* Be Healthy
* Be Serene
* Learn and Grow
* Organize my World

I am quite happy! I think I am making progress on all fronts!

It's good to review your priorities every few months and see how you're doing. How is everyone else doing with their priorities? Are they still the main focus in your world?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/18/11 12:56 AM

I am still thrilled with my priorities. I think about them every day and it is now a habit to ask myself if each new activity serves my priorities.

Eventually I will do more work with my goals but I am really taking the time to completely ponder these basics underlying everything else, first. smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/18/11 11:31 PM

Dear Jill -

I think that is a great idea, to make sure that foundation is very stable. That way you know your energy is going in a good direction!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/20/11 08:41 PM

Once readers have settled on a priority list that - even just for now - suits what they want out of life, it is time to start thinking about long term goals that match that priority list!

Five Year Goals

Remember your priorities don't need to be "perfect"! They will be adjusted over time. It's fine to have a rough first draft to work with!

They don't need to be perfect - 02/20/11 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Once readers have settled on a priority list that - even just for now - suits what they want out of life, it is time to start thinking about long term goals that match that priority list! Five Year Goals Remember your priorities don't need to be "perfect"!...
Hi Lisa, it's so true that "priorities don't need to be 'perfect'". The important thing is to decide what they are - they will get tweaked automatically as time goes by. (JOY)

Sequencing - 03/21/11 10:11 AM

After deciding what your priorities are, the next stage is sequencing, i.e., deciding in what order you are going to action things. This can be more difficult than it sounds! (JOY)
Posted By: Linda19

Re: Sequencing - 03/21/11 01:18 PM

I don't really make plans or set goals simply because some things are just not meant to be no matter how much planning goes into it. Without forward planning there is no disappointment.

I am a very spontaneous person and I tend to do things on the spur of the moment. I let other people make all the plans then if it doesn't work out the way it was intended I don't have to worry or get upset. Makes my life so much easier.

I have no real interest in making money or owning many possessions. Maybe I should go and live in a cave!

My only priorities in life are to worship God every day and to be the best person I can be to myself and anyone else around me.

What are your priorities? - 03/29/11 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Linda - Islam
...I am a very spontaneous person and I tend to do things on the spur of the moment...
Hi Linda, that also suggests that you welcome opportunities as they come your way and live very much in the 'present' - a great way to live your life! (JOY)
Posted By: Linda19

Re: What are your priorities? - 03/29/11 09:34 PM

Yes totally Joy, that is my motto, 'live for the moment'. It is what I tell everyone.

Re: Sequencing - 04/01/11 12:45 AM

Dear Linda -

You bring up a fascinating angle to this discussion. I would posit that there is always disappointment available in life. You can be just as disappointed with what you have now as you could with a future goal. On the other hand, you can have future goals without having disappointment!

I.e. let's say I have a goal to get to be 20% body fat. It is a good goal for my health. If I only get to 22% body fat, I'm not disappointed! I'm pleased at my effort, and I'm pleased at what I learned along the way. The act of working towards something better has helped me be a better person.

Absolutely I agree that you don't need goals of making money or grabbing things to own. One of my goals is to get *rid* of things! I want to donate items to charity. I want a cleaner home.

Having a goal to worship God every day is a great goal. That right there *is* a goal. Hopefully it does not disappoint you to have that goal!

What if you had a goal to help out a charity or group around you. Do you have a religious group you belong to? Do they have any goals they would like to reach? Maybe if you had an interest you could align yourself with that goal and help them make progress!
Posted By: jewelrysale520

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 04/02/11 07:32 AM

I have been for the past, but not now, I feel the need for their own careers to think and find their own efforts, and only really suitable for their own personal experience to determine their own

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 04/26/11 08:52 PM

It's spring, and the perfect time for everyone to revisit their priority lists! Spring is about rebirth and renewal and growth. We're about to hit May Day!

I'm looking at my list and the one I'd like to reword is "learn and grow". The rest are nice "end states" like "be healthy" and "be serene". Maybe the learning one should be "be actively learning"? I want to give the sense not that I am "fully educated" but that I am finding joy in always learning something new.

Any ideas?

What do you guys think about your priorities? Do you have them hanging on your desk or on your smart phone? I was just thinking that I should find a way to put these into my smart phone - maybe save this Word document as a PDF and load it up?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/03/11 10:49 PM

It's spring, and the perfect time for everyone to revisit their priority lists!...I'm looking at my list and the one I'd like to reword is "learn and grow"...I want to give the sense not that I am "fully educated" but that I am finding joy in always learning something new. Any ideas?

What do you guys think about your priorities? Do you have them hanging on your desk or on your smart phone? I was just thinking that I should find a way to put these into my smart phone - maybe save this Word document as a PDF and load it up?

Hi Lisa, that's a great idea to put your priorities into your smart phone. Regarding ideas for rewording �learn and grow�, how about �Be an eternal student (of life)� ? (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/08/11 02:44 AM

Dear Joy -

That is a wonderful suggestion - thank you so much!
Posted By: Astera

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/19/11 07:23 AM

What my priorities are love, healthy, relationships, education, money and success.
They are important to me. They all give me strength, stability, reasurance and Hope. Each one has a way into the other. To love and be loved is a miracle which gives you your family, soul mate and friends. Healthly relationship is strengh, its work and commitment to make relationships be exciting, fun, and woth all the work. Education is your rock your back bone to get the sucsess you need to achieve the money that makes the world go round. Kinda of funny how they all fit together in some way. They all give me hope to keep moving on and succeed in everything I do.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/25/11 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Astera
What my priorities are love, healthy, relationships, education, money and success...
Hi Astera, those are good, solid priorities. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/06/11 10:29 AM

As we enter June, what priorities (work, business, social, etc) do you all have for the second half of this year? (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/06/11 05:00 PM

Newly separated from my husband - I have a ton of "priorities" but I have to work on prioritizing them...Lol

All of a sudden everything jumped to the #1 spot. I need to step back, list them out and put them in order. It's a huge task at the moment. I've lived in denial for over a week - enough, time to get it together.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/06/11 05:15 PM

Dianne, as a teacher, I have 10 weeks without students in the summer. Note that I did not say that I'm off work. Summer is the time when I get prepared for the next year. I just did what you said that you need to do. Set priorities.

First I chose the categories where I have responsibilities. Then, I listed all of the things that I need to do in each categorie. I just got some plain white paper and put a heading on each. Then, I just started writing everything for each category.

I made a daily schedule that allows for 8 hours a day of working on my projects. It allows me to get up at 6AM, instead of 4:30 or 5AM. (Isn't that pitiful when 6AM is sleeping in??)

Wednesday, I have to be at the auto shop all day. I will have my lovely calendars to pencil everything in lightly. Also, I am reading a book for review that day.

A lot of the time in the summer, time will get "wasted" on sleeping and reading books that I've looked forward to reading. While I will be reading, there's too much to do to laze about. I have scheduled two weeks for vacation, too!
Posted By: ....

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/06/11 05:17 PM

Priorities. Umm. The order changes on everything except the animals.
1. Sadie and Muggle-the dogs, Sable and Mineux-the cats, Tex, Sweetie, Lucy, Moonie, Gem, Jazzy, and Cherokee--the horses. Over 100 dogs and adoption applicants from For The Love of Dog New England Rescue.

2. Sleeping, eating

3. My honey

4. Me time

5. Family, housework, errands, bills, car stuff

6. This forum! lol

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/06/11 08:06 PM

Connie, You are so organized!!! I'm going to try to take the calm approach. No point running around waving my arms - "the sky is falling, the sky is falling." Which is actually what I feel like doing.

It's also about taking the time to actually SIT and write it out. Great planning idea. I'll keep you posted!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/07/11 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
...I made a daily schedule that allows for 8 hours a day of working on my projects. It allows me to get up at 6AM, instead of 4:30 or 5AM...I have scheduled two weeks for vacation, too!
Hi Connie, I agree with Dianne - you are wonderfully organised! (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/07/11 09:30 AM

Hi Great Grandaughter, so your priorities are those you love, sleeping, eating, YOU, "This forum" and house/car commitments. As they say in the UK - you have got your head screwed on right. If you look after yourself (food, sleep) and others (people, animals), your life falls into place with great peace. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/10/11 08:09 PM

You know what? I just had a thought about my great priority list from before. I actually need to completely scratch it right now.

The only important thing is working on my mental health/Aspergers' issues. Everything else is secondary. Nothing else will matter if I end up locked in a behavioral ward.

So there it is. i feel relieved to have worked this out. smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/10/11 08:35 PM

OMG I was just thinking about this - I definitely want to get my attention put back on my priorities! Life has been so crazy, I justify my laziness toward my goals by saying "I'm too stressed out to care!" But I know if I'd move forward again, my stress would be reduced.

Okay - my priorities:

My family
My Relationships
Physical Health and Well Being
Inner Peace
Spiritual Growth
Living my Dream
Financial Prosperity

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/10/11 08:36 PM

I agree Jilly! Physical health and well being is what keeps everything else rolling along.

Do you feel like you've been making head way?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/10/11 08:45 PM

Headway? I don't know. I'd say there are steps forward and steps back at this point. I don't think things are getting worse, and that alone is a decent thing. smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/09/11 04:41 PM

I think a key thing about priorities is that their relative importance will wax and wane over time and that is quite fine and natural. For example I have priorities of "be healthy" and "be serene". Maybe there will be a week when I'm not serene because I'm let's say doing wild swordfighting activities at a once-in-a-lifetime swordfighting school. So for that week my "be healthy" priority takes charge. That's fine! There'll be another week where I can focus on being serene.

I think the important part about priorities is being aware of them and making sure the time spent is at least being spent on *one* of your priorities. If a person spends weeks and weeks on some task that isn't even closely related to any priority at all, that would be the time to sit down and look at things.

So certainly many of our editors have health issues and during the health issue flare times, caring for our health is the most critical thing. Other items like "organize the kitchen" can wait!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/23/11 07:38 AM

...I think the important part about priorities is being aware of them and making sure the time spent is at least being spent on *one* of your priorities. If a person spends weeks and weeks on some task that isn't even closely related to any priority at all, that would be the time to sit down and look at things...
Hi Lisa, your comment reminds me of the definition of a "good manager of life" versus a "bad manager of life." The bad manager does things right but the good manager does the right things. (JOY)
Posted By: neobian

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/24/11 04:56 AM

Right now, my priority is to complete my academic studies and my pet project &quot;Neobian&quot; :)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/27/11 10:58 PM

Dear Joy -

I'm reading this message in many of the various books I'm going through recently - that just being "busy" and slaving away is a waste of time if you're slaving towards a goal you don't really want. It's so easy to get caught up in that pattern, too!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/29/11 01:10 PM

Dear Joy - I'm reading this message in many of the various books I'm going through recently - that just being "busy" and slaving away is a waste of time if you're slaving towards a goal you don't really want...

Hi Lisa, yes, here's a succinct sentence about that: "Spend time on doing the right things rather than doing things right" i.e., don't waste precious time doing the wrong things to perfection! (JOY)

Re: Sequencing - 08/22/11 11:30 PM

Fall is coming and this is a perfect time to revisit our priorities and see if they need tweaking! Mine are currently -

OVERALL PRIORITIES
* Help Others Directly
* Be Healthy
* Be Serene
* Be an Eternal Student
* Organize my World

I'm feeling iffy about the eternal student one now smile It sounds like someone who stays in college for 10 years because they want to party hearty. I want to always learn ... and I want to learn in service of doing my life tasks better. I wonder how I should phrase that!

I do feel happy with my priorities in general and I think I'm making good progress towards them!

Re: Sequencing - 08/23/11 05:13 AM

For my mental health priority (my one main priority right now), I have one short term goal right now - to take my first set of meds *before* i get out of bed, and to remember to take my afternoon meds each day. I have been having trouble being reliable about this and want it to be a habit. I need it to be a habit.

I do have various support systems - weekly peer counseling, a weekly case manager meeting, a weekly self esteem class and a weekly WRAP class (sort of a recovery program for mentally ill clients).

Physical health priority - I have made appts with a my new dr to talk about various health concerns and plans for my care. And to make sure i do get in at least 15 minutes of movement each day, plus some fiber, one fruit and one veggie daily, or else take vitamins and powder fiber. (i am trying to keep this uber simple until these things are habits).

So there it is right now - health. And that really is plenty for my plate at this time. smile

Re: Sequencing - 08/23/11 08:45 PM

...I'm feeling iffy about the eternal student one now smile It sounds like someone who stays in college for 10 years because they want to party hearty. I want to always learn ... and I want to learn in service of doing my life tasks better. I wonder how I should phrase that!...
Hi Lisa, here are some thoughts. You could rephrase 'eternal student' to 'eternal student of Life' or 'learn more about my Self'. (JOY)

Health goal - 08/23/11 09:11 PM

...So there it is right now - health. And that really is plenty for my plate at this time. smile

Hi Jilly, your goal of 'Health' is a great one as it can be short, medium and/or long term. With 'Health' under control, life becomes so much easier to handle. (JOY)
Posted By: Mavrick

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/26/11 08:46 AM

Right on! I so identify with you !! LOL Thank You for your post... The whole having a new priority each week with your ADD.... gotta love it!! I sooooo understand what you mean! Thank You and I hope you are able to keep focus on what is most important to you... I know I deal with theses things daily, weekly and monthly as well... But we are creative... and are able to compensate and overcome any obstacles that we are dedicated to... And when WE Do... IT IS BRILLIANT... So Keep It Up !!! Lovin Life~
Posted By: zafar97

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 09/05/11 05:10 PM

In a nutshell, 1)Faith 2)Family 3)Fitness 4)Finances With the above in order of 1 being the MOST IMPORTANT and then 2 and 3 and least important 4. Shouldn't we be giving the most time and resources to the two most important yet looked at myself and everybody else that I know and we all spend the most time and resources on number 4. P.S I suppose you could add number 5) Fun. Zafar97

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 09/09/11 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: zafar97
In a nutshell,
1)Faith
2)Family
3)Fitness
4)Finances
With the above in order of 1 being the MOST IMPORTANT and then 2 and 3 and least important 4. Shouldn't we be giving the most time and resources to the two most important yet looked at myself and everybody else that I know and we all spend the most time and resources on number 4. P.S I suppose you could add number 5) Fun. Zafar97

Yes, your Health (Physical, Emotional, Spiritual, etc) is key. Regarding 'Finances', many people struggle with the boundary between having enough to keep you 'Healthy' and at what point one becomes too materialistic. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 10/17/11 07:13 PM

OK I still hadn't updated my list that hangs by my desk. I'm going to do it right now! So it will be

help others directly
help others help themselves
be healthy
be serene
find the lesson in every day
organize my world

There we go! I'm happy with those smile I like the "find my lesson" because it reminds me that every day has something to teach me.

Re: Sequencing - 10/17/11 07:14 PM

OK a reminder that after the priorities are set, it's time to go on to work on

Five Year Goals

Re: Sequencing - 12/20/11 02:05 AM

How are we all doing with priorities? Do our priorities still feel "right" to us? I think I need to focus on the "be serene" more smile

Your priorities - 12/20/11 09:40 AM

How are we all doing with priorities? Do our priorities still feel "right" to us? I think I need to focus on the "be serene" more smile
Hi Lisa, thanks for the reminder about priorities. They can change quite significantly with time and December is a good time to reconsider them. Has anyone changed their priorities for 2012? (JOY)
Posted By: STRRY

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/20/11 06:32 PM

My priorities are God, Family, Business. It is that simple. Thankfully the business helps enrich others lives and will provide a comfortable income.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/22/11 02:28 AM

Dear strry -

Those sound great! How about health too?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/24/11 11:36 PM

Looking back in this thread about the priorities i had last listed. I found this almost exactly a year ago - 12/27/10 -

Stability, health/fitness, serenity, creativity, order, joy/fun

So here we go for 2012.

Stability - i have not moved and i have a full team of mental health professionals. I have a financial plan that 2012 will bring forth. So this is underway.

Health/Fitness - Mental health is being stabilized, which sis a tremendous gift. Now working on making sure i have my vitamins and minerals in, with fiber, antioxidants, plenty of water and a daily fitness activity.

Skipping down to Order - I have plenty of time in 2012 to get my physical things in order but need to focus on the stability first and foremost.

Creativity - In my group classes there has been some art therapy. doing some singing with friends. This is plenty for now.

Joy/Fun - I actually have friends now! It's a great, great thing! I can't be thankful enough and i tell them this all the time.

Serenity - i would like to focus more, be more mindful in 2012. Make time to meditate. And I have a lot of buddism based books i would like to make the time for reading (and reviewing). Right now I am making time to nap and sleep in, which is good in its own way.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/26/11 10:04 PM

...i would like to focus more, be more mindful in 2012...i would like to make the time for reading (and reviewing)...
Hi Jilly, thank you for the update on your priorities. Regarding focussing and making time for 'important stuff', something that really works is the following. If one puts time aside for the 'important stuff' first thing in the morning, i.e., after breakfast but before anything else, it always gets done. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/09/12 10:43 PM

Dear Jilly -

That is fantastic that you are finding ways to nurture your priorities. You are doing wonderfully!

I'm looking at my priorities and they feel good for 2012. I like my priority of "find the lesson in every day". It reminds me that there is always something to learn. Hurdles are there to train me how to become a better person.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/26/12 08:40 AM

It's a month later and i want to revisit how I am doing with my priorities. Its bedtime now though. I will come back when i have some time to think on it. Some of these things are moving along. smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/27/12 03:24 PM

It's a month later and i want to revisit how I am doing with my priorities...Some of these things are moving along. smile
Hi Jilly, it does not matter how fast things move. The important thing is that they are moving. (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/30/12 06:35 PM

I am striving to revisit my priorities and goals every quarter, with the changing of the seasons. It's spring!

I am very pleased with my priority list. It is:

~ help others directly
~ help others help themselves
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ find the lesson in every day
~ organize my world

Each one feels important to me. When I think of various tasks I do, they all fit into one of those categories.

How are you guys with your priorities? Are they fairly set?
Posted By: Jamise- Action Movies Ed

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 04/07/12 09:21 PM

My main priority is my career and my health and to get rid of "stuff". I am a giver and in my work, I help people everyday, but I can see I need some of my own attention.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 04/08/12 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Jamise- Action Movies Ed
My main priority is my career and my health and to get rid of "stuff"...

Hi Jamise, when you say "stuff" do you mean material clutter or all those little things that can take up your time? (JOY)
Posted By: loong

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 04/10/12 11:28 PM

To all,

My priorities are being a good Buddhist Monk, be as Compassionate as i humanly and spiritually can. Living my life the simpler as I can.Respecting others and their opinions.
Finally continuing to live a blissfull life.

May your priorities be obtained.

_/\_
a simple buddhist named
loong

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 04/11/12 07:26 AM

Hi Loong,

To live a life with compassion, simplicity, respect and peace is great. What a different world this would be if everyone did that.

Joy

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/16/12 01:42 AM

Summertime is a wonderful time to review your priorities and see how they feel to you! Are they still a good beacon and guiding light for you?

I am happy that each time I look at my priorities, they do resonate with me. That gives me faith that they are good for me at my stage in life.

Next, once priorities are set to give you a compass, it's time to look at five year goals! Five Year Goals

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 07/17/12 09:49 PM

Summertime is a wonderful time to review your priorities and see how they feel to you! Are they still a good beacon and guiding light for you?...
Hi Lisa, most people wait till Dec or Jan to review their priorities. Summer is indeed a great time to do this and also to review the progress of those New Year Resolutions! (JOY)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/03/12 03:48 AM

My update: I am working on my new set of Five and One year goals and decided to start with revisiting priorities. I am going to write this out in my Life Binder tonite, too, but here is the list:

Stability, health/fitness, serenity, creativity, order, joy/fun.

I think these are still excellent priorities for me.

Great, then moving back up to the goal lists!
Posted By: AKLisa- Knitting Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/03/12 09:03 PM

My priorities:
being satisfied that myself and family or on good, stable financial path
good relationships with my DH and kids, with kids emotional, educational, spiritual and physical needs being met
Doing work that I find fulfilling and lucrative enough to meet my other priorities.
Being healthy physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/22/12 07:50 AM

My update: I am working on my new set of Five and One year goals and decided to start with revisiting priorities. I am going to write this out in my Life Binder tonite...
Hi Jilly, did you write them out in your Life Binder? How's it going? Joy

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 08/22/12 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: AKLisa- Knitting Editor
My priorities: being satisfied that myself and family or on good, stable financial path
good relationships with my DH and kids, with kids emotional, educational, spiritual and physical needs being met
Doing work that I find fulfilling and lucrative enough to meet my other priorities. Being healthy physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.
Hi Lisa, that's a really comprehensive list! How have you prioritised them? Joy
Posted By: Richard Tan

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 09/05/12 05:58 PM

What is really important in my life? Work is probably not what is really important. Your family, your friends, or something else is more important. If you are spending as much time as possible at work, time away from work, worrying about work, then you are making work your priority. It is time to turn the situation around.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 09/08/12 03:13 AM

Definitely it's important for the goals you set to be in line with the priorities you have. The priorities are at the very top of the heap! They are the guiding star.

Hey that would be cool, to make up some sort of a graphic that laid out the priorities at the top of a chart so people could see visually how they relate to each other! I'll work on that!
Posted By: mcburch

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 10/25/12 07:24 PM

I am thinking about the different priorities in my life and what stage each of them are at...I have my teenage son and transitioning him into high school, my husband whom I am transitioning with into a new phase (been married over 20 years and together over 30 years), and then there is the community I live in (co-housing over 10 years) in transition from minority rule consensus to more fair governance, my spiritual life (daily meditation, contemplation, weekly Gurdjieff group, online teachings) feels full, and my work--writing, marketing, etc. It's a full life but loving the challenges and awesomeness of life:)

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 10/30/12 04:06 AM

McBurch - that's great that you are enjoying your aspects of life and the changes that come with each new day!

I was thinking about that today with the hurricane. If the power went out. I was OK with that. If not, that was fine too. I was prepared to just take whatever came.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/20/12 01:44 AM

I forgot to post the link to the thread where I created a template for showing your priorities graphically. It is here -

Showing Priorities Graphically

This might be a help for visually-minded people!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 11/20/12 01:50 AM

I last reviewed my priorities in July, so it's a perfect time for a check-in!

They hand alongside my desk, so I see them every morning. They help remind me what to focus on.

They are:

~ help others directly
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ organize my world

Remember that priorities are "higher" than specific tasks or goals. Priorities are the overall life-fulfilling theories that bring you joy.

In looking at that list, I think I want to add one more. "Smile". Sometimes I get so focused on helping people with serious issues that I forget there needs to be balance. So smile it is!

Have you guys reviewed your priorities recently? What do you think of the items on your list?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/24/13 07:43 PM

It's the beginning of a new year! 2013 is the perfect time to review your priorities and see where you want to tweak them. Priorities change over time. that's fine and natural! We grow and change. Do your priorities still speak to you?

Remember to keep your priorities as general as possible. These aren't specific goals about X pounds or Y dollars. That comes later. This is solely about overall ideas that you want to shape your decision making.

So my current priority list is:

~ help others directly
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ organize my world
~ SMILE

I still like these as my overall directions in life, to then match my goals against.

How are you guys doing?
Posted By: Brandi - Hair Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/24/13 07:53 PM

I am doing Wonderful!
My goals for this year is:
-To eat healthy
-Work on my Bible reading
-Write more
-Learn to come out of my shell an talk to people more freely
-To continue my education in hair, make-up, and on my business degree
-To help others
-Clean up my language (not that its foul but I do slip sometimes)
- Get myself organized

So far so good.....

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/28/13 07:55 PM

Dear Brandi -

One year goals are great to have, and those come a little further in the planning process! The idea of this technique is to start "big" and to work one's way down to the one year goals. The idea is that by starting with priorities, you then know that your goals are in service of those priorities. If you do it the other way - choosing goals first - you could end up with goals that are on your list for reasons like what your parents want or what your spouse wants. They aren't on the list because of what YOUR priorities are.

So take a step back for a minute. Don't think about this year, or even five years from now. Think about your entire life. What overall priorities do you feel are important to you in your life? Think in terms of what you want to "be". Happy? Healthy? Serene? Spiritual? What would your overall priorities be in terms of those sorts of items?
Posted By: Lori-Dreams

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/28/13 08:23 PM

I am happy, serene (at times) and spiritual (at least spiritually-minded). But I want to be worthwhile. Useful.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/28/13 08:33 PM

Dear Lori -

Those are great priorities to have! I love the worthwhile / useful one. It's a nice sense that one is being a positive member of the community one is in, small or large.

We are all works in progress smile. It's fine that we all strive!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/28/13 08:36 PM

Mother Teresa said, "I cannot do great things. I can only do things with great love."

I aspire to that. To do things, large and small, with great love.

Sometimes, I forget. Not that I do things with hate but I forget that even the mundane everyday task can be filled with love. Cooking with love. Doing laundry with love (feeling thankful for all the modern conveniences that make laundry easy today and thankful for the family I get to care for).

Today, for example, I had to clean up after our little puppy and instead of feeling annoyed because he is piddling a lot, I felt thankful and happy for having an adorable wiggly bundle of joy. He makes the entire family smile and laugh!

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/31/13 07:37 PM

Lori -

That's so true! I love the cooking with love idea. Food nurtures us. So many people are starving. We should be quite happy with every meal we eat.

Just yesterday I was eating a hard boiled egg and gave thought to all the people who had helped get this tasty egg to me. And the poor chicken who probably had to live in a cage to create it (I haven't sold Bob on the cage-free-eggs-only idea yet, despite numerous attempts). All of those truck drivers and shelf stockers and so on all worked together to move this little eggs from its starting point to me. And now I could enjoy it right when I wanted to.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/28/13 05:48 PM

Lisa, cut out the middleman and get a chicken. :-)

Checking on my priorities: serenity, order, joy, adventure, health/fitness, learning, creativity.

I'm still happy with these. Very. Seven is a good number to focus on.

Order is a my biggest challenge. I need to figure out where I live and what to do with my stuff.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/28/13 08:07 PM

If she did get a chicken, she might have to cage it after all!

I had five wonderful chickens who were free range. They had the best life with the run of my backyard plus an enclosed pen area with a 50 square foot hen house. The eggs were fantastic. But with the feed, the sawdust, the dusting powder, the fresh grubs, etc. it was cheaper to buy eggs at the store. They were more than livestock. They were pets. But my DH did not like the idea of paying so much (in money and labor) to maintain non-laying hens! They stop laying after five years.

Even buying cage-free chicken eggs is cheaper than having your own chickens if you want only the eggs!

This thread is helping me remember my priority which is to do small things with great love. In the past, I would rush through things and find little things tedious or time-wasting. Now I try to focus on the power of this moment. The power of this little thing before me. It is working. smile
Posted By: Leif - Role Playing Games

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/02/13 03:42 PM

I've got a list of ten priorities. Some of them might seem redundant to others, though.

Create, know, learn, be whole, communicate, reimburse, protect, live, provide and forgive.

I rather liked this exercise. It really helped me assess what's important to me. It's still ongoing as I've been thinking about these since I wrote them down a couple of weeks ago.
Posted By: Harry124

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/05/13 02:22 AM

My priorities: Being satisfied myself and my family.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/05/13 07:33 PM

Leif, I really like those - they seem very thoughtful. Question: what do you mean by reimburse?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/05/13 09:13 PM

Thank you Jilly.

Maybe it's a point of pride on my part but I'd like to reimburse people who have helped me a lot. When I was young and going through rough family times I had friends who were sympathetic and let me stay at their place. Especially after hitting a time in my life where decency was in short supply - I really remember the people who have helped me in the past nowadays. I'd rather show them my appreciation instead of just tell them.

I daresay I could use some more order too. Living a day in my life is like wrestling with chaos unbound lol.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/07/13 03:28 PM

Wrestling with chaos - I like that. Maybe it is like wrestling with alligators. I just learned how to actually do that. You have to get onto their back and hold their mouth shut. Apparently they have great mouth closing muscles but weak opening ones.

Anyway, maybe chaos is like that too. I bet I could come up with something really pithy with this if I tried.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/07/13 03:43 PM

Thanks Jilly. I believe it would be like wrestling with many alligators simultaneously. I've never tried it but I have learned the same as you. Biologically it makes sense... Who would try holding their jaws closed up until we figured it out?

On order - I'm finding that attempting to force pieces to fit into it doesn't work out very well for me. Working with the chaos tends to cause it to be more helpful. Sort of like going with the flow of it, only you cause your own paths within. Call it working alongside the flow of things smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/07/13 06:10 PM

Actually, I think you are totally right about working WITH chaos; it can't be forced.

And maybe that is also like holding the alligator's mouth shut - if you can't run, or hide, you can still approach. Which is what Han Solo did in Empire when he attached the Falcon to the Star Destroyer and then floated away with the garbage.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/07/13 08:40 PM

Alongside, not with wink Chaotic events can only force us to the point where we don't anticipate chaos. Example - potential rush hour traffic when going to an appointment. We don't know what it'll be like so affording some extra time for the unknown factor.

I daresay working with chaos would just further unravel whatever order we believe we are able to impose. Nice Star Wars reference. I'd see working alongside as holding the alligator's mouth shut and trying to get it to move toward a tree or something similar. In that case, I'm sure the predator would have a lot more patience than the prey lol. Pinned doesn't mean defeated.
Posted By: loongdragon

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/07/13 08:51 PM

To all ,
Have you ever read about the law of Chaos.

Chaos exists to prevent things to be perfect.
loong

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/07/13 08:59 PM

Perfection would lead to stagnation. Dynamism exists to prevent this. Randomness is this dynamic influence.

I wasn't aware there was a law, no. I've got a friend or two who like to talk about chaos theory and that's what I've gleaned from them. Is this correct or would you amend it, Loong Dragon?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/08/13 12:29 AM

To Leif,
It is not a theory.Isaw a few years ago ,on t.v. the prooving of the necessity of chaos.As you say perfection would lead to stagnation and surely to the end.
Nothing is perfect
and everything is perfect.

loongdragon

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 03/08/13 01:05 AM

I like that. smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/03/13 02:58 PM

It's a good idea to review one's priority list every quarter or so, and see if it still resonates! The priority list provides the focus for everything else in life, so it's good to have it reflect what you believe in with your whole heart.

Mine is:

~ help others directly
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ organize my world
~ SMILE

I like these very much. Every "event" I think up, it fits somewhere in here. I like to learn - that falls into the lesson area. I like meditation and yoga - those are in the serene and healthy areas. Organizing is important to me and I'm working on tasks in that area. So these seem still like very good "categories" for me, that my actual tasks fall within.

How about you? How are your priorities?

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/03/13 03:18 PM

Here's our challenge for the day - to evaluate our priorities!

It is such an important thing to do regularly, since everything else becomes based on these.

I have mine posted next to my desk.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/03/13 04:32 PM

To Lisa,

My Priority,is to be able to live each moment in the Now.(Mindfullness)

loong

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/06/13 01:40 AM

Loong is back! I hope you are well! smile

My priority lately has been attending to my personal Jilly's Rules. I have really had to start from scratch with the self-care and take my health seriously.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/06/13 12:55 PM

To Jilly,
Thank you for your thoughts.I am slowly recovering.

With Friendship
loong

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/06/13 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: loongdragon
To Lisa,

My Priority,is to be able to live each moment in the Now.(Mindfullness)

loong

This is a very important lesson to learn and I have to remind myself of it constantly as my thoughts often float backwards in time or forwards in time...

I am glad to hear you are recovering, loong.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/06/13 01:19 PM

To Lori-Dreams,

Thank you.As far as recovery is concerned ,it is a slow process.
Feeling better than yesterday,As I write this post.

loong

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/09/13 03:39 PM

Jilly -

It is so awesome that self care and health are two of your priorities and that you are taking specific steps to work on those. Kudos!

Being healthy is so, so important. So many times we can put that on the back burner as we pursue other priorities - but in the end I think if we're not healthy, that nothing else can really work well.
Posted By: Grace-Newsletters Editor

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/15/13 11:57 AM

Lisa -

I feel the same way. Health is everything and since I've been unable to be active for the past 5-6 years, I am now in a position to start building up my strength and stamina once again.

In the past exercise was very laborous and walking was out of the question. So this summer I am much better and trying to be more pro-active in getting myself back in shape and also losing weight.

My husband has lost over 60 pounds in the past year and he looks really good. So now it's my turn to catch up with him. But I must still approach it slowly because I am still healing from surgery and it's possible I've lost a little bit of mobility. I am waiting for my doctor to give me the go ahead.
Posted By: Rodelma Lopez

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/16/13 07:40 PM

my priorities 5 years from now i am still healthy and able to serve my kids, financially stable to travel to places and help and serve others in need and stronger personal relationship with God...

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 06/28/13 07:52 PM

Rodelma -

Those are great life-long priorities! Priorities are the things that guide you through thick and thin, through quiet times and chaotic ones.
Posted By: Ilah B

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 09/25/13 08:40 AM

My priorities are fun, happiness, creativity and being true to myself.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/01/14 10:34 PM

It's 2014 - the perfect time to take a fresh look at your priorities! Be sure to take a few long, deep breaths before you begin this. Close your eyes. Relax. You want to approach this from a calm center. That way you can best hear your inner voice and listen to it.

My priority list hangs by my desk, so I can look at it each morning and center myself It says:

~ help others directly
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ organize my world
~ SMILE

I am pleased with this list. I have polished it over the years, and even looking at it fresh, it says exactly what I want it to say.

Remember, your priority list doesn't have specific goals in it. It's not about "lose 10 pounds" or "buy a bigger house". It is about overall life-long ways of viewing life. It's about the core concepts which are important to you. That way when you then go on to laying out goals, you know they are in line with your life's priorities.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/01/14 10:38 PM

When you have set your overall priorities, it's time to move on and to work on your long term goals!

Setting Long Term Goals

It's important to set the long term goals before you move on to short term goals. Otherwise you could easily fill your schedule with short term goals that don't move you toward the end result you actually want. Always know what wall to put the ladder against before you start climbing it! Otherwise you can spend all that time and energy climbing the ladder only to realize it didn't get you where you wanted to be.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/02/14 04:49 PM

...My priority list hangs by my desk, so I can look at it each morning and center myself It says:

~ help others directly
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ organize my world
~ SMILE

I am pleased with this list. I have polished it over the years, and even looking at it fresh, it says exactly what I want it to say...

Hi Lisa, I love the fact that even though your priority list has been "polished" over the years, it is still so timeless. Joy
Posted By: Bootzies

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/19/14 11:35 AM

My priorities are: Be happy Love deeply Grow daily Add value Provide service

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/21/14 01:39 PM

Hi Bootzies, your priorities of happiness, love, self development, caring and sharing are the essence of a good and meaningful life! Joy.
Posted By: Bootzies

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/22/14 01:19 AM

Thanks Joy:)
Posted By: James Andrew

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/22/14 10:04 AM

Looks and only looks are my main Priorities. smile

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 05/27/14 04:23 PM

It's about the half-year mark - a perfect time to review priorities!

Mine are:

~ help others directly
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ organize my world
~ SMILE

How do I set my priorities? I've been working on this for a few years now so I hone them each time. I think about what is overall most important to me, across my entire life. This isn't about short-term goals. It's about overall life-long directions.

Organize is definitely key right now smile.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/23/15 08:00 PM

Here we are in 2015! Just the right time to revisit our priorities in life.

Remember these are LIFE LONG priorities rather than short-term goals like "get a better job." What concepts do you want to guide your entire life?

So mine are:

~ help others directly
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ organize my world
~ SMILE

I will put a fresh copy of these by my desk so I can look at it each day. It will help ensure the things I work on are in service of these priorities.

Spend a few minutes to sort out what your priorities are. They are important to understand before you take any next steps! They help you realize that your shorter term goals should be aligned with these life-long concepts.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/23/15 08:01 PM

When your priorities are set, it's time to Set Long Term Goals
Posted By: Nancy Roussy

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/17/16 02:50 AM

Right now it is to find myself again, to get myself back into shape (i have a fat tummy), have a lot of money set aside and then cut all contacts with my parents.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/11/16 07:27 PM

Time to revisit my overall life priorities! Mine are:

~ help others directly
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ organize my world
~ SMILE

I have this list hanging at my desk and I look at it each day. It still feels like a list I resonate with.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/11/16 07:32 PM

A vision board can be a part of this. A vision board is a visual display of your priorities. Some people think better in terms of visuals. Here is a thread on vision boards.

http://forums.bellaonline.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/623079/1

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 12/13/16 06:14 AM

Originally Posted By Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
...A vision board is a visual display of your priorities. Some people think better in terms of visuals...

Lisa, thanks for linking the two threads. Joy

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/10/17 05:01 AM

I think in looking at my priorities that I need to try to smile more. A lot of the time I am hard at work focusing which is nice, of course, but it's good for the soul to smile.

Maybe I need to work more smile-inducing activities into my life smile.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/24/18 08:20 AM

I hadn't looked at my vision statement in over a year. It's good to review it periodically.

It is:

~ help others directly
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ organize my world
~ SMILE

I am still quite content with that list.

My world is currently completely chaotic. The entire house is piled and piled with stuff, because I've been too busy to work on it. I think that impacts the rest of how I can manage myself.

It's time to refocus on this vision statement. Organization is a key part of that and it is important to me. I need to add that into my daily routine, to chip away at the problem.

Have you guys looked at your vision statement / priorities recently? Remember to start with finding a calm center first:

http://forums.bellaonline.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/925998

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/24/18 08:25 AM

The next step, once you have gotten your main vision statement / priority list done, is to work on your long term / 5 year goals.

Long Term Goal Setting

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/25/18 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
I think in looking at my priorities that I need to try to smile more...Maybe I need to work more smile-inducing activities into my life :).
Originally Posted by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
I hadn't looked at my vision statement in over a year. It's good to review it periodically. It is: ...SMILE

Hi Lisa, as above, in your list of priorities for the last couple of years you include 'smiling more'. Am curious to know if you decided to smile more on your own accord or because you've been told to smile more. And are you smiling more?? Joy

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 01/25/18 06:04 PM

I know it's just a phrase, but I do lean toward the thought that word choice matters. It's not that I've been told to smile more :). It's that I have a desire to have more occasions to smile in my life, just as I have a desire to eat healthy foods and to dance the night away. These are joyful intentions which bring me contentment.

As an example, because of the new political situation I have been following the news more closely so I can lobby my representatives on issues. Until recently, I didn't feel the importance of "being heard". I had a sense that things were going in a reasonably healthy direction for the poor and voiceless without my attention. Now I have a sense that the poor and voiceless are being harmed and I need to do my part to speak up for them. That means ingesting much more negative content than I used to. I can definitely see where that is impacting my overall mood. Those around me saw it as well.

I need to even more proactively therefore balance that negative drag with a positive uplifting. I am seeking out positive, encouraging content to remind me that there is a lot to be enthusiastic about in our modern age. We are curing diseases we never thought possible. We are lifting people out of poverty which has enormous ripple effects. I do think seeking out and appreciating those things is important for my overall health.

I wouldn't say that I am necessarily smiling *more* because of those efforts but at least I am not smiling *less* which is what was happening. It's critical for me to have an overall healthy balance of emotion in order to keep working through tasks at a solid rate. For a while I was losing energy and motivation.

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 02/21/18 08:37 PM

Hi Lisa, sorry I didn't reply to your post earlier but I've only today realised that since you did a Forum Update at the end of January I haven't received any of the usual emails saying there's been a new post on the Self Development forum. Do I need to reactivate anything my end? Joy

Re: What Are Your Priorities? - 09/12/19 05:58 PM

OK time for my regular review of my vision statement.

~ help others directly
~ be healthy
~ be serene
~ organize my world
~ SMILE

I am still content with that, which is a good sign that I've honed in on what matters to me :).

It's no longer hanging by my desk - I need to print a fresh one out!
© 2019 BellaOnline Forums