BellaOnline
Posted By: ExerciseEditor good and bad motivational quotes - 12/16/10 04:48 PM
I was a watching a documentary on graffiti art yesterday and read a quote one of the artists painted on a piece: "90% of success is just showing up". My thoughts on that were: yeah, I don't think so. Most people just show up every day and get nowhere. You actually have to do something extraordinary to get what you want.

My favorite quote that actually motivated me for years when I was getting my business/website going was "there are no traffic jams along the extra mile". That quote actually makes more sense!

What are your favorite motivational quotes (good or bad)?

Originally Posted By: ExerciseEditor
...What are your favorite motivational quotes (good or bad)?
One of my favourites:
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you - but do it first." (JOY)
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/16/10 07:29 PM
A couple of my favourites:

"A boast is a gift to an enemy"

" A good warrior is always before their environment"

"Never mind artificial intelligence - I'm waiting for artificial cunning"
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/16/10 08:00 PM
Those are fantastic Ian. I love them all especially the second one!
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/16/10 08:24 PM
It's one I use with the newbies at Ninjitsu to remind them that the art is more than just the Taijutsu (combat) side and to explore the other sides too.
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/17/10 10:49 PM
Another one is

"Perfection is your road- not your destination"
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/18/10 01:33 AM
"Action is the foundational key to all success." Pablo Picasso

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson (has some of the best quotes ever!)

"Some men have thousands of reasons why they cannot do what they want to, when all they need is one reason why they can." Martha Graham

Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/18/10 01:53 AM
"The only sin is mediocrity." Martha Graham

"Desperation is the raw material of drastic change. Only those who can leave behind everything they have ever believed in can hope to escape." William S. Burroughs

"I wanted the whole world or nothing." Charles Bukowski

Hi Ian and Monica, you have some great motivational quotes there! (JOY)
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/21/10 04:41 PM
Not so much motivational as guidance are:

"Never eat at a place called 'Moms'
Never play Pool with anyone called Slim, or Poker with anyone called 'Doc".

Don't criticise anyone until you have walked a mile in their shoes - then say what you like. After all you're a mile away and you've got their shoes"
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/21/10 06:43 PM
"I have no right, by anything I do or say, to demean a human being in his own eyes. What matters is not what I think of him; it is what he thinks of himself." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success." Malcolm X

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to to dance better than myself." Mikhail Baryshnikov

Hi Ian, I like the quotes under your signature as well! (JOY)
..."I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to to dance better than myself." Mikhail Baryshnikov
Hi Monica, in fact the more you concentrate on your own success rather than comparing yourself to others, the more 'at peace' you are. (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/21/10 08:58 PM
Thanks Joy, that is by far one of the most important lessons I learned in my late 30's : )
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/22/10 10:36 AM
Thanks, I like Dali Lama, he makes me think
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/23/10 07:42 PM
Yes I forgot to mention your Lama quote Ian. Very nice. My favorite of DL quote is "Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." I think I could write an amazing book on never getting what I wanted and now having everything I never knew I wanted : )
...What are your favorite motivational quotes (good or bad)?
Hi Monica, it's interesting that even though you opened this thread to both "good" and "bad" motivational quotes, no "bad" ones have been aired. Perhaps there aren't any! Or perhaps in life 'good' always overrides 'bad' ?? (JOY)
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/23/10 10:32 PM
How about:

"No matter how good you are there is always someone better"?

"The race is not always to the swift, or the battle to the strong. But that's the way to bet"

"Money can't buy you happiness"

"Everyone has their appointed place"

"It's not what you know it's who you know"

"If you're a pessimist you are never disappointed"

I would go on, but I feel the urge for a tub of triple chocolate ice cream and an action movie.

Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/23/10 10:51 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!! SO funny, Ian!!! hahaha!!!! You made me laugh today!!!

And now, are you gonna share that ice cream and flick???

I'm trying to think of a quote. Hmmm...

"If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he sits in a boat and drinks beer all day long." ~ anonymous

Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/24/10 07:43 AM
Or:

"If you teach a man to fish you can sell him graphite rods, special lures, hooks, different strengths of line, a fishing licence...."
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/24/10 03:35 PM
LOL, Ian, you are a riot and here's 2 just for you:

"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." Zenna Schaffer (this is exactly why I used to buy my exhusband golf clubs all the time, LOL!!!)

"Marta says the interesting thing about fly-fishing is that it's two lives connected by a thin strand. Come on, Marta. Grow up." Jack Handey

This is my favorite quote on fishing though:

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau

As we are now half an hour into Christmas Day in the UK, here's a quote for XMas:

"He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree." - Roy L. Smith
Originally Posted By: Ninjahedgewych
..."If you teach a man to fish you can sell him graphite rods, special lures, hooks, different strengths of line, a fishing licence...."
Originally Posted By: Chi-Japanese Food
..."If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he sits in a boat and drinks beer all day long." ~ anonymous
...This is my favorite quote on fishing though: "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau

Hi Ian, Lori & Monica, I didn�t realise there were so many versions of the �fish� quote! (JOY)
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) Favourite Motivational Quotes - 02/21/11 07:23 PM

"We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want." (Tao te Ching)
I like "Whether you think you can, or you think you cant, you're right"
Posted By: k123 Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 02/22/11 05:26 AM
<a href=BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) Favourite Motivational Quotes - 02/22/11 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: LeadershipDevelopment
So true! You believe whatever you tell yourself. (JOY)
I often go back to this Bruce Lee quote:

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice Re: Favourite Motivational Quotes - 02/22/11 10:13 PM
I always liked:

"Life is what happens while you are out making other plans."

Not so much motivational but a reminder that you can't always control everything.
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) The Power of Water - 02/22/11 11:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Asha - Scottish Culture
I often go back to this Bruce Lee quote: "Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."
Hi Asha, great quote! And look how powerful water can be - it erodes away mountains! (JOY)
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) What is Life? - 02/22/11 11:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice
I always liked: "Life is what happens while you are out making other plans." Not so much motivational but a reminder that you can't always control everything.
Hi Allison, I love that quote as people often forget that no amount of planning can prepare you for the unexpected. (JOY)
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) Quote by Confucius - 02/26/11 09:17 AM

"Better than the one who knows what is right is he who loves what is right" - Confucius
Posted By: meganjo Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/02/11 12:05 PM
"Sometimes you cannot believe what you see. You have to believe what you feel." ---Morrie Schwartz
Originally Posted By: meganjo
"Sometimes you cannot believe what you see. You have to believe what you feel." ---Morrie Schwartz
That's a good quote about trusting your gut or intuition. (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/08/11 09:25 PM
More fun quotes that I came across recently by Dr. Robert Anthony.

"You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it."

"Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy."

"When your ship comes in, make sure you are willing to unload it."

"Waiting is a trap. There will always be reasons to wait. The truth is there are only two things in life, reasons and results, and reasons simply don't count."

The last one is my favorite. I really want to read one of his books now.
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Favourite Motivational Quotes - 03/08/11 09:28 PM
Quote:

Truly love this one but had forgotten about it. Thanks for posting it : )
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Favourite Motivational Quotes - 03/08/11 10:17 PM
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option."
� Nina Potts Jefferies
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) 'Fun' quotes - 03/11/11 01:03 PM
More fun quotes that I came across recently by Dr. Robert Anthony.

"You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it."
"Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy."
"When your ship comes in, make sure you are willing to unload it."
"Waiting is a trap. There will always be reasons to wait. The truth is there are only two things in life, reasons and results, and reasons simply don't count."

The last one is my favorite. I really want to read one of his books now.

Hi Monica, yes, they are �fun� quotes. They make you smile then you realise the depth to them! (JOY)
Some of my favorite quotes:

"The best gift we can bestow is a good example" - Thomas Morrell

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying '"I will try again tomorrow"
-Mary Anne Radmacher

Fav work/career quotes

"Work is uninspiring, unappreciated and underpaid - unless you're out of it." - Robert Half

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-Douglas Adams
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/11/11 03:50 PM
"We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, "Why did this happen to me? unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way." Author Unknown

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." Frank A. Clark

"To hell with circumstances. I create opportunities." Bruce Lee

"Conformity is that jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." John F. Kennedy
Originally Posted By: Dianne W - Editor
Some of my favorite quotes:
..."Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying '"I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Anne Radmacher...
Hi Dianne, that quote is one of my favourites too. (JOY)
Originally Posted By: Linda - Islam
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." � Nina Potts Jefferies
Hi Linda, that's one you need to read more than once to truly realise its significance. (JOY)
"We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, "Why did this happen to me? unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way." Author Unknown...
Hi Monica, it's a pity that this quote has an unknown author. It�s so true that people generally interrogate themselves when things go wrong and very rarely when things go right. (JOY)
So true. I believe the motivation comes from our ability to activate and carry out our goals based upon the words we choose to speak. With that in mind, no matter how profound the quote, until we activate the change within us, the words are powerless.
Posted By: anderson bailey Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/15/11 08:02 AM
I wanted the whole world or nothing.
Originally Posted By: anderson bailey
I wanted the whole world or nothing.
Hi Anderson, that's an interesting goal... (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/15/11 05:05 PM
Quote:
With that in mind, no matter how profound the quote, until we activate the change within us, the words are powerless.

Love this! I was just writing about this the other day. You must be willing to go beyond the quote and take action : ) My best friend told me about a book called Beyond Positive Thinking that I'm dying to read!
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/15/11 05:16 PM
I posted that in a different way a few weeks ago "I wanted the whole world or nothing." Charles Bukowski and even though I think it's motivating to think that way sometimes I don't think it's a good attitude in general. The all or nothing mentality is the perfectionists mantra and it rarely gets you anywhere.

"That's the key to having it all: stop expecting it to look like what you thought it was going to look like. Cindy Chupack, Sex and the City, Plus One Is The Loneliest Number, 2002
Quote:
With that in mind, no matter how profound the quote, until we activate the change within us, the words are powerless.
Love this! I was just writing about this the other day. You must be willing to go beyond the quote and take action : ) My best friend told me about a book called Beyond Positive Thinking that I'm dying to read!
Hi Monica, so true! You can read mountains of books but nothing will change in your life until you actually take some action, no matter how small. Let us know what you think of �Beyond Positive Thinking� once you�ve read it. (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/16/11 04:12 PM
I just remembered two other all or nothing quotes that I thought were kind of funny.

"Give me liberty or give me death!" Patrick Henry
"California or Bust" (not sure who said this first)

Those first two can get you fired up but this one is more practical "The main dangers in this life are the people who want to change everything - or nothing." Nancy Witcher Astor, Viscountess
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/16/11 05:22 PM
Here's a bad motivational quote from my own mother:

"You look good from behind. Why don't you walk into a room backwards?"
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/16/11 05:37 PM
We've only been posting motivational quotes. This wouldn't really qualify as one especially since it's so negative. How about we stick to positive productive quotes : )
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/16/11 05:42 PM
Oh, sorry. I saw the title of the thread and it says "good and bad motivational quotes."

Okay, here's a positive one:

"Happiness and love are just a choice away."
Author: Leo Buscaglia
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 03/16/11 05:57 PM
Motivational quotes that can be construed as good or bad vs. just something bad someone said to you to motivate you. I probably should have explained better.

Maybe we should start a post on that one. I'm sure plenty of us have heard nasty things that only drove us to succeed.

My high school counselor told me "you should go to trade school, you'll never graduate from college." What he said [censored] off my mom but I knew he was a complete loser who liked smoking pot with some of the students so I ignored his de-motivational advice and gradated with honors in my major. Can you believe that moron being a school counselor. I hope some of the other students ignored his advice too.
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) Life's Dangers - 03/16/11 10:49 PM
..."The main dangers in this life are the people who want to change everything - or nothing." Nancy Witcher Astor, Viscountess
Hi Monica, so true! (JOY)
Originally Posted By: Lori Chidori - Marriage
Here's a bad motivational quote from my own mother:
"You look good from behind. Why don't you walk into a room backwards?"
Hi Lori, that's a bad one all right. It's also quite funny. (JOY)
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) 'Corny' quotes - 03/16/11 11:06 PM
Motivational quotes that can be construed as good or bad vs. just something bad someone said to you to motivate you...I'm sure plenty of us have heard nasty things that only drove us to succeed...
Hi Monica, in the UK, "bad motivational quotes" also means "really corny" ones. Saying that, I can't actually think of one at this moment! (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: 'Corny' quotes - 03/17/11 02:32 PM
Thanks Dr. Joy. As usual a complete disconnect for me in the humor dept. I speak American English and think like a Mexican so the comment Lori posted is not corny/humorous to me. In Mexico if somebody says something like that to you they usually mean it and not as a joke or a motivational tool. They're saying it to hurt you. I think it's so interesting how different cultures find humor in different things. I still have trouble with the English or American sense of humor when it comes to personal jokes. MIL is English and sometimes I just don't get that she's poking fun and being corny but I'm learning : )

"A man is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks, he becomes." Mahatma Gandhi
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) Dry humour - 03/17/11 03:27 PM
Thanks Dr. Joy. As usual a complete disconnect for me in the humor dept. I speak American English and think like a Mexican so the comment Lori posted is not corny/humorous to me. In Mexico if somebody says something like that to you they usually mean it and not as a joke or a motivational tool...I still have trouble with the English or American sense of humor when it comes to personal jokes. MIL is English and sometimes I just don't get that she's poking fun and being corny but I'm learning...

Hi Monica, yes, the way humour is told (and accepted) across the world is really interesting. Brits can have a very dry/dark sense of humour and it is not uncommon for things they say to be taken as insults rather than the compliments they actually are.

The next time your MIL says something that upsets you, just listen to her actual words and consider what else they could mean. I�m sure you�ll find that her comments have much affection behind them! (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Dry humour - 03/17/11 03:37 PM
Thanks so much for the tip. That helps a ton!

"A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life." William Arthur Ward

"A sense of humor is the ability to understand a joke - and that the joke is oneself." Clifton Paul Fadiman (yes, I'm working on this one)

"Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth." Victor Borge

Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Dry humour - 03/17/11 03:40 PM
My mother loves me and she just has a really biting sense of humor. She thought she was being funny *and* constructive!

She did mean it. My body is thin, except for my belly (typical diabetic body shape). Aw, the truth hurts sometimes! :p
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) Re: Dry humour - 03/17/11 03:53 PM
My mother loves me and she just has a really biting sense of humor. She thought she was being funny *and* constructive! She did mean it. My body is thin, except for my belly (typical diabetic body shape). Aw, the truth hurts sometimes! :p
Hi Lori, on the topic of cultural differences, if you were in the West Indies and a comment was made about someone�s big hips say, that would be a real compliment! (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Dry humour - 03/17/11 04:07 PM
"Don't worry so much about your self-esteem. Worry more about your character. Integrity is its own reward."

"The golden opportunity you are seeking is in yourself. It is not in your environment, it is not in luck or chance, or the help of others; it is in yourself alone." Orison Swett Marden

"The greatest difficulty is that men do not think enough of themselves, do not consider what it is that they are sacrificing when they follow in a herd, or when they cater for their establishment." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted By: JOY (Self Development) Re: Dry humour - 03/20/11 10:09 AM
"Don't worry so much about your self-esteem. Worry more about your character. Integrity is its own reward."...
Hi Monica, that's a great quote about self-esteem. Yes, if you live an honest life with integrity, nothing can touch your character or self-esteem. (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Dry humour - 03/21/11 05:27 PM
Came across this amazing passage this morning by George Bernard Shaw "This is the true joy of life: the being used up for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clot of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy."

Posted By: JOY (Self Development) George Bernard Shaw - 03/21/11 11:48 PM
Came across this amazing passage this morning by George Bernard Shaw "This is the true joy of life: the being used up for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clot of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy."

Hi Monica, Shaw's text is not that easy to understand straight away, but I agree, that's a good quote. (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: George Bernard Shaw - 03/24/11 01:17 AM
I agree it's a bit confusing at first but by the end it really gets to the point about finding happiness in your life purpose, being a might force of nature, and not giving in to selfish whining and complaining that just gets in the way.

I found some new ones today that helped me get closer to a new domain for my new site. I really love that last one:

"Well done is better than well said." Benjamin Franklin

"Inspirations never go in for long engagements; they demand immediate marriage to action." Brendan Francis

"A barking dog is often more useful than a sleeping lion." Washington Irving, adapted from a verse in the Bible

"The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps - we must step up the stairs." Vance Havner

Posted By: JOY (Self Development) Motivational quotes - 03/24/11 07:53 AM
...I found some new ones today that helped me get closer to a new domain for my new site. I really love that last one: ... "The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps - we must step up the stairs." Vance Havner
Hi Monica, yes, that's a great one. Dreams come true by taking the action needed. (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Motivational quotes - 03/24/11 03:36 PM
Amazing how all the best stuff just crosses your path when you have that mindset. This is what I came across today on greatness:

"I take nothing for granted. I now have only good days or great days." Lance Armstrong

"To be great is to serve." Matthew 20

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Motivational quotes - 03/24/11 04:23 PM
Well then...I am still rising.
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Motivational quotes - 03/24/11 04:37 PM
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. William Shakespeare

Posted By: JOY (Self Development) Rise after every Fall - 03/25/11 11:46 AM
Amazing how all the best stuff just crosses your path when you have that mindset. This is what I came across today on greatness:
..."Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Well then...I am still rising.

Hi Lori and Monica, wishing you both many more risings than fallings! (JOY)
Posted By: jewelrysale520 Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 04/02/11 07:23 AM
To do things they love N01, because it is easy so the first
"Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be, because sooner or later, if you are posing, you will forget the pose, and then where are you?"
---Fanny Brice
Come grow old with me....you go first.
PDBurns
Originally Posted By: Phyllis-Folk/Myth
"Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be, because sooner or later, if you are posing, you will forget the pose, and then where are you?" ---Fanny Brice
Originally Posted By: Phyllis-Folk/Myth
Come grow old with me....you go first. PDBurns
Hi Phyllis, great quotes! (JOY)
Posted By: Astera Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 05/19/11 09:08 AM
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
---Dr. Seuss
"Aim not for what you are, but for what you could be."
---Lucas Hellmer
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
---Confucius
"Live only for today, for tomorrow may never come."
---Unknown
Originally Posted By: Astera
"Live only for today, for tomorrow may never come." ---Unknown
Hi Astera, thinking about that quote, someone (who's over 100 years old) was interviewed the other day and was asked what he felt was the key to long life. He said: "To really enjoy today and to never fear death." (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 05/25/11 01:58 PM
Interesting quote. I wonder if that's where the term poser came from?

"Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage, and confidence." Og Mandino
Posted By: CrystalBarba Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 05/30/11 05:11 AM
I love one quote by Abraham Lincoln.... He says
�If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my Axe�

Originally Posted By: CrystalBarba
I love one quote by Abraham Lincoln.... He says �If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my Axe�

So true! People can waste much time working away on something if they don't stop and assess their true or real output. A 'tweak' can often make things much more efficient or effective. (JOY)
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 06/07/11 07:37 PM
I just read this in a newsletter:

"Most people unconsciously bleed away their power, their influence and their gravity through careless habits, unquestioned assumptions and blind brainwashed mediocrity." (sorry, but not sharing who the author of this is).

This is not a positive quote but it's very powerful and so true.
Posted By: .... Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 06/07/11 09:00 PM
When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 06/08/11 05:47 PM
I'm writing about flow today and found this:

"The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls." Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posted By: .... Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 06/08/11 05:57 PM
"There is nothing more galling to angry people than the coolness of those on whom they wish to vent their spleen."
~Alexandre Dumas
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 06/09/11 02:14 PM
I love that quote too. Too much time is wasted on stuff that just doesn't get you where you want to go.

"If you're not very valuable you don't get much money. Learn to work harder on yourself than you do on your job." Jim Rohn

I love Jim Rohn. He has some of the best inspirational work quotes and success quotes ever!
...Too much time is wasted on stuff that just doesn't get you where you want to go...
And that's so easily done. The trick is to keep your mind open to new ways of prioritising jobs and activities so that you are always heading towards your ultimate life goal/goals. (JOY)
Posted By: rodav Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 06/22/11 10:33 AM
"Learning never exhausts the mind." - Leonardo da Vinci
Originally Posted By: rodav
"Learning never exhausts the mind." - Leonardo da Vinci
Hi Rodav, thanks for that one. People mainly think of Leonardo Da Vinci as a painter, but he was quite a genius - sculptor, scientist, architect, visionary, etc! (JOY)
Posted By: Josephine02 Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 07/01/11 06:08 AM
Wow I like your motivation joy,,,That's nice and I should share also my good motivation and this is it ""I really like to give than receiving to others""...
Originally Posted By: Josephine02
Wow I like your motivation joy,,,That's nice and I should share also my good motivation and this is it ""I really like to give than receiving to others""...

Hi Josephine, welcome to the Self Development Forum and many thanks for your feedback on this thread. Talking about 'motivation', have you seen the article below?

How To Get Motivated When You feel Like Death
Posted By: little_stone Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/03/11 11:36 PM
wow thanks a lot for this article! it's simple but it tells everything in a few words Just ignore the chatter in your head and get SOMETHING done. Thanks a lot :)
Originally Posted By: little_stone

How To Get Motivated When You feel Like Death

wow thanks a lot for this article! it's simple but it tells everything in a few words
Just ignore the chatter in your head and get SOMETHING done. Thanks a lot smile
Great to have your feedback. Yes, 'mind chatter' can have a huge effect on motivation. (JOY)
Scout patches To be without inspiration is to live without a soul. Inspiration is as important as fresh air. Inspiration is the fuel that keeps the engine of human civilization alive. On this page, you will find all the inspiration you need to get going. Feel the surge of enthusiasm engulf your heart as each inspirational quotation pumps you with new energy. [url=http://www.pricelesspatches.com]Scout patches[/url]
You can do it - In fact only you can do it! This is my own motivational quote. It helped me to realise that I could pull myself out of the hole I was in. It empowered me.
Originally Posted By: Felicity Deafness
You can do it - In fact only you can do it! This is my own motivational quote. It helped me to realise that I could pull myself out of the hole I was in. It empowered me.
Hi Felicity, great stuff! (JOY)
Posted By: kooperkin21 Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/09/11 09:31 AM
Posted By: astrologer V Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 12/11/11 12:50 AM
Those really great quotes, Ian I would like to add: You are now and you will become what you think about most of the time." Earl Nightingale
Originally Posted By: kooperkin21
"A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person".
"To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage".
"She knows all about me and loves me just the same".
As your Wedding Day draws near, thank you for your 3 quotes! (JOY)
Originally Posted By: astrologer V
...I would like to add: You are now and you will become what you think about most of the time." Earl Nightingale
That is so true... (JOY)
Posted By: Alicia Roberts Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 02/04/12 07:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Alicia Roberts
Couple of my favorites are:
"Intolerance of your present creates your future."
"There�s no next time. It�s now or never."
Hi Alicia, I particularly like your first quote. (JOY)
Originally Posted By: jonssmith
..."You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down"...
Hi Jonssmith, I reckon that quote touches everyone at some point in life. (JOY)
Posted By: Donnarie Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 02/04/12 06:21 PM
A few of my favorites -

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." ~ Mark Twain

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your wild and precious life?" ~ Mary Oliver, poet

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~ Pablo Picasso
Originally Posted By: Donna - Budget Decor
A few of my favorites -
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." ~ Mark Twain
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your wild and precious life?" ~ Mary Oliver, poet
"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~ Pablo Picasso
Hi Donna, your 3 quotes are nicely related to aspects of self growth and self development. (JOY)
I like this one by Robert Schumann:

"The painter turns a poem into a painting; the musician sets a picture to music."
Posted By: Richard Tan Re: good and bad motivational quotes - 09/05/12 06:24 PM
"If you want to succeed in the world must make your own opportunities as you go on. The man who waits for some seventh wave to toss him on dry land will find that the seventh wave is a long time a coming. You can commit no greater folly than to sit by the roadside until some one comes along and invites you to ride with him to wealth or influence." - John B. Gough
© BellaOnline Forums