BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/27/08 04:50 AM
Where is the last vacation you took, just you two, that you really enjoyed and relished?
Posted By: M.B. Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/27/08 05:23 AM
In the flurry of other posts, these have gotten buried, but they are on the topic of vacations, and are VERY recent, so I thought I'd pull them up for you. There are bound to be a few ideal locations in there for future vacations, or reminders of past locales. I hope this is helpful.

Resorts for adults only 4/11/08

Where are you going on vacation this year? 3/24/08
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/27/08 05:27 AM
This is different though smile The other post asked about where you were going in the future. This one asks about your last trip you took, to describe it!
Posted By: M o e Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/27/08 05:36 AM
DH and I went to Niagara Falls a few years back and quite enjoyed it. We tried to hit things early and go off the beaten track.

Another place we really enjoyed was the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia.
I go to the Aldeburgh Festival of Music and the Arts every year and love it.
Posted By: Adoption Editor Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/27/08 01:29 PM
Hello!

We've had friends that have gone on vacations through Sandals resorts and loved every minute of it. It's for adults only, no kids, and they had a blast!

Another fun city is Charleston, South Carolina. Lots of things to do, places to see, and wonderful food. smile

Posted By: Charity - Roses Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/27/08 01:54 PM
When we were living in FL we stayed at an adorable bed and breakfast in Apalachicola. A majority of the oysters in the US come from Apalachicola, which I wasn't aware of until then. If you like oysters they were the size of tea cup saucers and couldn't have been fresher.

The community was adorable. There was so much to see if you enjoy walking. Now it's a collection of great shops and restaurants, but you can still see the sponge fishermen and oystermen out working on the water. There were several galeries with art from local artists. It really was a great romantic and relaxing weekend.
For our first anniversary we went to a beautiful BnB in Kirkwood, MO, that was decorated entirely with antiques. Even antique clothing was used as displays in the room. Of course it also had up to date amenities like a 2 person jacuzzi and 2 person shower in the room! It was wonderful, and very romantic.
Posted By: Athena_Marina Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/27/08 04:49 PM
Of ALL places our last vacation (holiday to us) was to Walt Disney World!! But we had a wonderful time with just the two of us and it was SO much faster to get on rides when you only need seats for two not say a family of four!!

Before that we went to Salzburg - Christmas 2006 - we went on a salt mines tour and went under the ground and on a train, wooden slide, boat and cable car thingee --- all under the ground! spent Christmas Eve in a very classy restaurant, lots of site seeing. On Christmas Day we went up in a cable car (funicular) to the fortress.

Hubby also went to Egypt twice last year but I didn't fancy going so I didn't.
Our favorite vacation place is the Helmsley Sandcastle in Sarasota, FL. It is on St Armand key. We always get a room that faces the gulf of Mexico. The rooms have a little terrace where we watch the dolphins in the morning and the sunset in the evening. Very romantic and very relaxing.
Posted By: Angela P Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/27/08 08:13 PM
*YAAAWWWNNN*

Amarillo, Tx. But I've already posted about it.
Las Vegas! That's one place that is waaaayyy more enjoyable without kiddos along. There's just too many things I wanted to do there that were "grown up" and I would have been scrambling for a babysitter if i'd had my kids with me - so I didn't they vacationed with grandma, and hubby and I got some much needed alone time.

Blue Man Group show - it was at the Luxor when we were there, I think it's moved somewhere else, now though. We ate a a fabulous restaurant called "Red Square" with a vodka cellar and caviar bar instead of a wine cellar. And the House of Blues. Plus we stayed at the 4 Seasons, which was amazing.

Oh, I'm feeling a need to go again.....
Posted By: elle Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/28/08 12:00 AM
That's one shot in my avatar: clambering over a glacial iceberg on the Tasman lake near Mount Cook - we toured almost the whole of New Zealand in a campervan in February. That ice I'm standing on is 500 years old.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/28/08 04:54 AM
Our last vacation was on a cruise to Hawaii, where he played golf quite a bit and I was feeling a bit flu-like so I ended up staying on the ship most of the time, doing email and such from my room. Still I did get out onto the Big Island for the day and walk in a lava tube! I loved that.

BellaOnline's gathering three years ago was in Vegas and we had a *blast* smile I really enjoyed that!
Posted By: DolphinLvr Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/28/08 06:36 AM
Las Vegas is an excellent place to visit. They have some of the finest restaurants in the world there.
And the breakfast buffets in Vegas set you up for the whole day - till dinner, of course!
Posted By: M.B. Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/28/08 08:33 AM
Yea, but the prices are high, and the traffic is often a nightmare, even well beyond the strip. (My best friend lives in Vegas.)
Posted By: CF 4 Ever Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/28/08 02:11 PM
True Myrabeth! We visited last year and were surprised to see how it had grown since we hadn't been there in 15 years. We hated it. The traffic, the noise, the expenses! Gone was thr shabby little town where yo could pay $15 for a room, a dinner buffet and a show. I really miss that.

I'd rather go to Sedona, AZ in October when all the kids are in school. Hubby and I had a lovely time there 2 years ago. October is perfect weather, but go mid-week because while the kids are in school, it's a popular time for adults and weekends in October can be very crowded.
Posted By: freespirit Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/28/08 02:22 PM
You know what? I think the best vacation I have ever been on was to Raton NM there is nothing there but a kmart and a few hotels and resturants. My husband and I spent the whole time in the hot tub and eatting out! there is this great place called the Oasis that had the best sofapias and a fried veggy simpler thing with chedder pepers and fried mushroom, zucinni and sqause with this dip that was wonderful! we went during the school year so there was no kids at all anywhere. And because there is very little there to attract people we had the place basicly to our self. we would go up into Trinida CO and go to the movies or shop and come back to the room and swim and play in the hot tub. it was great! I love the small towns that families dont like because they have good food at cheaper prices then the big big towns and cities. most hav walking trails and parks.and free places to go.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/28/08 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: myrabeth
Yea, but the prices are high, and the traffic is often a nightmare, even well beyond the strip. (My best friend lives in Vegas.)

We found the trick is to fly into the airport, take a cab in to the hotel and then just take their subway line around to locations. Do a lot of walking too. You get in exercise, get to see everything, and no car hassles!

We did ALL sorts of things for free - it was great! The volume of free things to do in Vegas is just staggering. There are of course websites all about it! We did the entire gathering entertainment for free pretty much smile
Posted By: DolphinLvr Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/28/08 08:06 PM
Las Vegas has some amazing buffets for very little money!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 04/29/08 05:09 AM
I think the key with any location, anywhere in the world, is to research and choose wisely. Certainly there are expensive restaurants in most locations - and there are McDonalds in most locations. If your desire is to eat cheaply, you can do that pretty much anywhere. You can get a hotel room with a fridge and microwave, and buy delicious foods at the local store and eat in a local park.

One of my best meals "out" was when I went with my boyfriend to the Napa Valley region and our hotel room had a stove in it. We brought home filet mignon and had a delicious dinner with a bottle of wine we'd gotten. It cost far less than any restaurant would have charged us, and was quite wonderful.
Posted By: Amethyst22 Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 05/16/08 04:22 PM
Every year when my husband & I go on vacation we try to go to a couples-only, adults-only resort - like an all inclusive in the Caribbean somewhere. We enjoy these vacations the best because even if there are people there who have kids, they are child-free for a week and you can actually have a conversation with someone without a child interrupting or them leaving the conversation mid-stream to attend to their kids.

I love child-free resorts!

Some resorts to try:

Sandals Resorts (all over)
Couples Ocho Rios (Jamaica)
Couples Negril (Jamaica)
Secrets Resorts (Punta Cana, D.R.)
Excellence Resorts (Punta Cana, D.R.)
Posted By: collier5 Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 07/01/08 07:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Amethyst22
Every year when my husband & I go on vacation we try to go to a couples-only, adults-only resort - like an all inclusive in the Caribbean somewhere. We enjoy these vacations the best because even if there are people there who have kids, they are child-free for a week and you can actually have a conversation with someone without a child interrupting or them leaving the conversation mid-stream to attend to their kids.

I love child-free resorts!

Some resorts to try:

Sandals Resorts (all over)
Couples Ocho Rios (Jamaica)
Couples Negril (Jamaica)
Secrets Resorts (Punta Cana, D.R.)
Excellence Resorts (Punta Cana, D.R.)

I just wanted to let you know that you can get cash back when you make reservations online with Sandals Resorts, or make any reservation through Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, or Priceline.com. There is a program called Bigcrumbs that will pay you cash back when you make reservations with those companies. There are other travel related companies there too, as well as hundreds of retailers. The program is free to join. Cash back is paid monthly into your paypal account, which is simple to set up if you don't have one. They do not sell, rent, or share your information and will not spam you. I have used BigCrumbs for making hotel reservations and have gotten cash back. I love the program and highly recommend it.
Thanks,
collier5
Posted By: Athena_Marina Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 07/02/08 06:46 PM
P.S. Excited to hear about Vegas. Went there in 2005 on my own had a great time but yesterday hubby & I started talking about going there for Christmas together and maybe to the Grand Canyon too!
The adults only resorts look wonderful on the list of things to do. Quite pricey as we have to pay for flight tickets from the UK too but it's DEFINATELY on our (massive) travel list.
I HAVE to travel sigh in school holidays - - - I'm a teacher! But it's nice to know that I'm not responsible for any of the kids I see or for their happiness. They're not in my class and they're not my kids!!
Posted By: trytrynomore Re: Enjoying a Couples-Only Vacation - 07/06/08 10:52 AM
We went up to York Beach, Maine. It was fantastic!
© BellaOnline Forums