BellaOnline
So, I got roped into going to Hubby's cousin's baby shower...I normally try to skip anything baby related (just not my thing) but this time, apparently the "women are talking about me" so I have to go. The cousin throwing the shower is kind of neurotic, so, since I said "alright, I'll come" I have gotten an average of 4 updates/month!! Nothing meaningful just "oh, by the way, the mom to be is now registered at Target" and "Oh, by the way, the mom to be will be flying home, so if you want to buy her anything big, mail it directly to her..." "Oh, by the way, mom to be has added some things to her Babies R Us registry." ENOUGH ALREADY!! I feel like writing her back and saying "sorry, I would like to be taken off this baby mailing list because I just got her a gift card and even then, I felt a little nauseous walking into the Babies R Us" I have an issue with throwing big parties and receiving ridiculous gifts for something you chose to do and others have done for millions of years without making their friends drink out of baby bottles and "guess the mushed up candy bar in the diaper". I am going to be the only CFCer there, so that immediately makes me a spectacle...plus, the mommy to be's best friend, who crawled all over my husband at mommy to be's wedding, stating "you aren't married..." (we were dating at the time) is going to be there in all of her snarky glory. Anyways, the whole point to this is...I'm just over baby showers...I really am...
I especially hate the games. The worst for me was the "guess the baby food flavor." I had no idea how exotic some of these flavors get, and one of them had mango in it. I'm allergic to mango. Oh yeah, I got to enjoy a lovely rash all over my face for a couple of days. Arg.
There are games now at a baby shower??? I haven't been to one in a while but I do not remember games at any of the showers I have been to. The showers were not too bad....decent food, mom-to-be opens her gifts, we have cake, and then we leave.

Seems like these days everything has been ramped up when it comes to moms and babies. It's a bit much.
I was watching a tv show the other day and this couple was having a baby shower for this woman...the girl throwing the party goes "I think our first game should be 'guess the weight'" The guy looks the pregnant lady up and down and goes "170?" I'm going to have to use that at this shower...
And yes, I detest the games, too.
I've never been to a baby shower in my life grin
I hate any party where there are games. I don't go to social gatherings to be embarrassed!
Personally, I won't go to any party I hated. I wouldn't care if they talked about me...freedom of choice is a wonderful thing - and I choose to be happy. Say what you want, won't affect I choose to live my life. My philosophy anyway...

Hopefully you can send the gift in the mail and not be stressed. Life is to short to be stressed by what others think.

If not, go say hi - and make a quick exit.
Originally Posted By: thisiseasycash
I've never been to a baby shower in my life grin

LUCKY!!! This will be my 3rd...first was for a boss I hated thrown on our lunch break...second was for the first born of the best man in our wedding...I just watched tv and ignored everyone...this one, I will be forced to participate because the cousin planning it is a bit...ahem..neurotic and anxious. She was in my face every 6 seconds at her SISTER'S wedding trying to get me something else to eat because she wouldn't take " I just really like Caesar Salad" for an answer.
Have not been to one. I guess people around me know better!
Posted By: raso Re: Anyone else just annoyed with baby showers? - 06/16/12 03:25 AM
Baby shower games are THE WORST! I once had to diaper a teddy bear with socks on my hand. Unfortunately, there was no liquor available to those of us who were not pregnant to soften the blow. And Babies R Us makes me hyperventilate. Thank goodness for internet shopping and gift cards!
The worst baby shower I've ever gone to (and I've gone to quite a few, unfortunately) was for a church leader at my parent's old church. They melted different types of chocolate in diapers, then passed them around the group--you had to TASTE it and guess what the candy originally was. It was disgusting, and I declined and got out of there ASAP.
I normally like weird party games like that. But not usually while sober. wink
I'm with you there, it's almost as if baby showers were just somthing invented by expectant mothers, in order to score presents! Apologies for being so cynical, it's just that I too have recently had this sort of thing thrust upon me, and it is rather frustrating! One perosn I know is having her baby christened, despite being an athiest ever since I've known her - I can therefore only conlude that she is doing this for the personal gain element. The other person has had a baby because 'she doesn't want to have to get a job'. Less said about that one the better, methinks.And yet I am expected to buy them and/or their offspring pesents??? Think I will start a campaign for a public holiday, entitled 'Child Free People's Appreciation day', in which every parent you know must buy you a card and a gift, for no real reason at all.
Hippy Pie, I am with you.

I just don't buy such presents. I have to sell scrap metal to afford cat food. smile
I agree, Hippie Pie...though a dinner, movie, and flight minus screaming brats would be gift enough.
© BellaOnline Forums