BellaOnline
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Do you have more than one dog? - 01/25/13 06:08 PM
Do you have more than one dog? If so, how many?

Our city allows up to five dogs. I have three. I've never had more than two dogs at the same time in my entire life.

I am so happy with our little pack! Because they are small, they are easy to maintain and take with us in the car.

How many dogs have you had at the same time?
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Do you have more than one dog? - 02/03/13 12:48 PM
I have one dog. I never considered getting a second one as Oreo is used to being an "only child". smile

In the future, I may get two so that they have each other for company and to rough dog play with.
I own three dogs and am temporarily taking care of another that we hope to find a good home for. If we can't find a good home for her, we will have four dogs.

Right now I have a German Shepherd, an Australian Shepherd, and a Boxer/German Shepherd mix. The stray who seems to have adopted us from the moment she stepped onto our porch is some sort of beagle mix.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Do you have more than one dog? - 02/03/13 03:40 PM
Dogs are very adaptable, depending upon their breed, but typically, they are pack animals and like to be in a pack. First and foremost, YOU are their pack and pack leader so if they have your attention, that will keep them satisfied.

But I've found that most dogs do enjoy the company of other dogs, especially if their owner must leave them for a good portion of the day. It isn't healthy for a dog to be alone without social stimulation for long stretches on a regular basis just as it is for humans.

Our beloved border collie was loyal and loving as an only dog but he sure thrived with the company of another dog. He was never alone when we were gone and benefited from the mental and physical stimulation that only another dog could give him.

Our three chis sure love their lives. smile Yet even though they love each other's company, they really prefer to have our attention and affection first. It's like having three little kids in the house all over again. I guess they provide mental, physical and emotional stimulation for us in return.
I have two dogs, yellow Labrador Retrievers. They are brother and sister and were brought home together as puppies. With work schedules at the time it was important for me that they have company while I was not home. I am very aware of a dog's pack mentality as well.

I don't regret having the two. They play together and take a lot of that energy burden off of me, which is great. When they were young they learned their lessons from each other too. If one puppy "got it" then the other was soon to follow because they do like to imitate each other. It was a good choice for me to acquire the two dogs together, even though getting them through puppyhood had it's little challenges now and then. They sleep together and are best buddies.
From rescuing over the past 25+ years, we have had a minimum of 3 furbabies in our home. Right now, we have 3 Doxies and a Shih Tzu.

Tess is the youngest at 7 and the others go from 10, 11 and 12, so they are aging. Oh, we have a cat too who is 13.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Do you have more than one dog? - 04/28/13 02:35 PM
When we have a larger property, I will increase our pack to five dogs. The three chi mixes are already here in our family. My husband wants a purebred border collie and I'd like a giant pyrenees. I'm not sold yet on the pyrenees because I know the needs and traits, but the loving personality and oversized cuddle factor tempts me greatly!
Hello Lori, having a pack is great...ours is 4 dogs and a cat. Luckily, they are small, so it isn't too much. We would happily take in any Doxie or Shih Tzu that needs a forever home, no questions about it.

The other great thing about packs is they know who is boss (just like children)...I'm the one they listen too, my husband? Well he tries, but he's the softy! :-)
Posted By: Joan541 Re: Do you have more than one dog? - 05/01/13 03:25 PM
I have two dogs right now, an Australian Shepherd and a Lab, ages 9 and 13. We've had as many as 3 at a time. I would get another one from the local shelter but my husband said two is enough. I think I'll always have at least that many though as so many need homes.

We have 3 cats too.
It is heartbreaking at how many are in the shelters and humane societies. If people would just think before they bring one home, or get them spayed and neutered...it may cut down on how many are disposed of.
Posted By: Joan541 Re: Do you have more than one dog? - 05/08/13 08:25 AM
Facebook has been a wonderful tool for networking dogs and cats. Our local shelter has a big presence on facebook and I often see that people have traveled many hours and many miles for a particular dog or cat.
Posted By: sad_1 Re: Do you have more than one dog? - 09/29/13 03:12 PM
I have two dogs, a Chi-Aussie mix that looks like a red heeler-min pin cross, and an Aussie mix that has shepherd body-shape and coat any Kelpie coloring. They both like to play rough with eachother, but they are pretty good at playing gentle with people. They will lightly nibble on my hand if I scurry it along the floor, then when they get bored playing with me, they will chomp on eachother and then ZOOM around the house like wild things! Most of all, they love to snuggle especially on cold winter nights.
Posted By: angief3 Re: Do you have more than one dog? - 09/29/13 04:24 PM
We have a pair of King Charles Cavalier Spaniels, and I have never heard of a more cuddly animal on the planet. Last night one slept beside me and the other one by my feet. However, the second one, a rescue, is so cute and irrepressibly funny and energetic that everyone wants to rub his ears and chin, while the other one is a little jealous. So she corrects him by growling and nipping him at times. They do like to play toys together - they go and get their stuffed animals and run around with them and chew on them. The older one loves to play fetch and the new guy has finally gotten the hang of running to get the ball, but then he takes it and runs in the house with it instead of bringing it to me. It annoys the other dog but it makes me laugh!
© BellaOnline Forums