BellaOnline
Posted By: LorenaB Lovely, Enchanting Italy! - 01/25/11 09:38 PM
When my marriage broke up almost ten years ago I needed to run away from home to get my head around everything that was happening. I ran to Italy. Interestingly, the movie Under the Tuscan Sun came out just before I left. And while I didn't buy a villa, I did find myself. I went for 10 days all by myself. First time I had done that. I arrived in Venice and enjoyed the splendor. It was the perfect place to be alone without being alone. And in solitude I watched people more, listened to the cadence of the Italian language, and fell in love with the land and with my self. I highly recommend a trip abroad alone. Of course you want to pick somewhere safe. But it can open places that you may not visit when in a group or with someone else. I wandered and that's how I discovered the Piazza Michelangelo high atop Florence with it's spectacular view and delicious gelato stands. Be a risk taker and know that surrounded by food, culture, history, and did I mention gelato you will find a new side of yourself. LorenaBBooks
Posted By: Cinzia - Italian Food Re: Lovely, Enchanting Italy! - 02/10/12 04:18 PM
This deserves an answer, even after few years. I do understand how you felt then and totally agree with you, although my opinion might be seen as "partisan", since I am from Rome. 13 years in the U.S. haven't spoiled the surprise in every trip I take to go home and visit, and, yes, Venice and Florence (and gelato) can get you in touch with a new part of your inner self... next time, try a summer sunset in Rome along the Tiber.

I hope life has been treating you better since then. If you ever need to hear speaking some Italian again... yell! Ciao.
Posted By: Jim Colyer Re: Lovely, Enchanting Italy! - 02/18/12 07:08 PM
LorenaB,

Have you ever seen the movie, Rome Adventure? Is is from 1962 and stars Suzanne Pleshette. Your story sounds like hers.

Jim Colyer
Posted By: sailingmaggie Re: Lovely, Enchanting Italy! - 07/26/12 09:48 PM
LorenaB - I absolutely agree! My first time alone in Europe was spent exploring Venice. I've been back several times since then. I'm actually taking my husband there on a tour (we're splurging on [url=http://www.travcoa.com/find-a-journey/destinations/europe/italy/venice-and-lake-como]this one![/url] ) I'm absolutely thrilled. And even though I've been there before, he's a bit of a nervous traveler. I think he'll really enjoy the group atmosphere - of course we'll have to steal away to get some of our own private sightseeing in. I can't wait!
© BellaOnline Forums