BellaOnline
Posted By: Karen - Mental Health Anxiety Disorders - 10/02/11 11:17 PM
Generalized anxiety disorder is one of the five anxiety disorders and can be disabling at its worst. Extreme worry and fear can often prevent people from doing everyday tasks and often worsens during stressful situations.

Posted By: loong Re: Anxiety Disorders - 03/20/12 04:47 AM
To Karen,
I cannot beleive that no one commented on this subject.
I beleive most people have anxiety disorders.My Mother was manic
depressive ,paranoia,and agoraphobic.I inherited the 3 deseases.
I got rid by myself ,of paranoia.agoraphoby at about 99%.
As for the manic depression part ,I always lived with anxiety in me until the age of 60 when I decided that I had suffered enough.
So with my doctor,my pharmacist,we came up with a concoction that the anxiety that I had since my childhood disapeared.
I had depresions at 22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30.
I stopped my depressions by reprogramming my subcounscious, being very disciplined,and adding sports to my life.By the way,
the pills that I take are nonhabit forming,and I am not stoned,
like I see too many people being fed any pills.

Thank you for putting on this subject
loong

Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Anxiety Disorders - 04/01/12 01:50 AM
Anxiety does stand in my way sometimes when life overwhelms me. I experienced anxiety early in life when my father was physically abusive towards my mother because he suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. There was a lot of fear and chaos in my home when I was in my teens. I was so tormented by fear that I could not sleep, so I slept in class at my high school.

There have been times in my adulthood when anxiety would take me over when situations became stressful, including social anxiety. I have battled depression off and on for most of my life. I still constantly have to fight and focus on trying to keep myself in a healthy place. It truly is a battle to feel sane and happy. Happy does not come easy for me. When I do find peace and happiness, it does not last long.
Posted By: Burt B. Re: Anxiety Disorders - 04/01/12 11:15 AM
Same here. It seems that money is the trigger.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Anxiety Disorders - 04/17/12 06:25 AM
My anxiety is linked to my aspergers, mostly in the form of social anxiety, but also connected to not having adequate plans or mental prep for something, plans changing, and things not being well ordered.

That last part sounds pretty OCD, but its a fact that order makes me feel soothed and safe.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Anxiety Disorders - 01/11/13 08:06 AM
Managing my anxiety really takes a huge portion of daily time and energy. frown
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/14/13 05:04 PM
I have a question for all of you suffering from anxiety. Is one of your symptoms thinking that you are choking? Not only when eating, drinking or just swallowing but also when not doing that? I suffer from a depression that appeared when I was around ten years old (its a miracle that it did not appeared earlier...i tried 2 pills on different occasions [1 after the other] and none worked...i was able to manage it by myself until i moved here in november of 2009...now i have a tooth infection and something else with my eyes [hypermetropia..cant get anyone to make me a pair of glasses] so its 1 thing on top of the other as far as health is concerned) and several years ago I thought I was choking when eating but it was not as severe as it is now and it was only when I was eating (later i learned it was due to my depression...i then tried these 2 antidressants that did not worked then managed it by myself successfully) now it's all the time (its on the sides..in my mouth and in my throat/neck). Plus it comes with pain (its mostly on the sides of the throat/neck...its like cramps). First I thought it had to do with the tooth (i only learned it was an infection last week but i cant eat on the left since novembre 13) then the infection but now I'm not so sure. I did see a doctor in the hospital last Monday and she said several times that it is all in my head but then she told me that the pill I'm taking could be given by an injection three times a day (today i learned it was a lie) then she tells me that she felt something and gives me a paper for a blood test. I tell myself it's all in my head but when you have a depression plus have stress issues plus real pain (the tooth) plus are not used to being sick it's not easy to ignore especially since it's almost every seconds I am awake! So anyone here suffers this way? Anyone has an idea what it could be? Is it normal to feel this way when we have an infected tooth that took almost three months to be detected and treated? Here only the pharmacists know what they are doing medicine wise so there too it's not doing great! I have twelve pills to take (Apo-Pen VK...have to chew them since i cant swallow pills) and the pain in my tooth is still there and nothing about the throat and neck is getting better either.
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/15/13 10:24 AM
Nancy,
I am so sorry to hear you had to go through all that!! How awful.
I have never had anyone suffering from anxiety have the symptom you describe - choking. Given all the issues you have had with your oral health and vision, I strongly recommend you find a new doctor and get a thorough assessment.

The depression can be exasperated by the medical issues and not getting help and relief from the discomfort and pain! That would make anyone depressed and frustrated, to say the least.

Please keep us updated. Maybe other members of the forum have other advice or similar experiences they can share.
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/15/13 05:40 PM
Thank you very much for answering me! So it is not all in my head? Finding a new doctor and one who knows what he or she is doing will be really hard since I live in a small town and the cities nearest who have doctors are all like that. I do not have a job so going elsewhere will be a problem but I will do that if soon this is not over, don't have a choice since I can't stay this way! I will finish the medication Sunday and Monday if it is still like that (it is now and i have 8 pills left) I will go see a pharmacist (they at least know what they are doing) and then go upstairs take an appointment (that will be hard but i will NOT take no for an answer so they better give me 1 with her or another doc) with my doctor (i only saw her once...the last 2 years i have my prescription faxed to the drugstore...had no health issues so it was ok) and see if she can figure out what is going on. If that does not work then I will try the hospital in Rimouski (its more than 1 hour away) and if that does not work then I better have enough money to go back to where I used to live! One thing is for sure I will not go back to the dentist who did that to me and the other one who did a full examination and who was not able to see the infection (if there is 1...it was after all said by a dentist who did a bad filling in a good tooth and seen by a lying doctor who basically said that i am crazy), there is another dentist here who has waiting list of a few months and I will try that place for my cleanings, I hope they are real dentists because dental work of any kind will be very expensive since no other dentists are available after these three places. Again thank you!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/16/13 09:12 PM
Bad anxiety night and having a meltdown. I feel like I can't do anything well and that I am a hopeless energy suck, a waste of time for everyone, a source of frustration for myself and others.
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/16/13 09:38 PM
Jilly,
Can you try and think (when you feel a bit less anxious) what sparked the initial increase in anxiety?
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/16/13 09:45 PM
I know how you feel Jilly! I always felt worthless but since moving here it is worst. Sometimes I just say (when im alone in the house i actually scream it) to myself how useless I am which is something I did not do before. And now with physical health issues it is worst, that's the one thing that was always going well for me and now it's gone. I actually haven't cried in a few weeks and I think it's all about to come out. I did have a panic attack not too long ago and was very close to another one Monday but no tears.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/17/13 12:16 PM
I did get some crying out and that helped. I will think about what the triggers might have been.
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/17/13 06:56 PM
Jilly,
I hope you are feeling better today.

Nancy,
Trying to find possible triggers to a panic attack will help greatly in trying to reduce the frequency of them or the intensity of them.

Sometimes the trigger is not what happened on that day....
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/17/13 09:35 PM
That will be hard to find since a lot of bad things happened in my life.
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/17/13 11:49 PM
Nancy,
I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to make it sound so easy/simple. What I meant was sometimes an upcoming event or some seemingly minor interaction or experience in the days leading up to the panic feelings can be the trigger.
It helps when you work with your therapist on this as together you can brainstorm what has been recently going on in your life that may have triggered old hurts/pain.
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/18/13 12:09 AM
I know you did not meant to say that it was easy. And I do not have a therapist, there are one or more here (i think...not too sure) but if I ever feel the need to have one (never did except when i was forced to see 1 when i was in high school..i finally got the nerves to say that i was being bullied then i was rewarded by being sent to a psychiatrist because apparently it was all my fault...never talked when i was there so finally my parents got fed up [i got yelled at for a while that time and got it thrown back at my face a few more times] and they stopped forcing me to go there) I will find one far from here like one of my neighbor did. What I really need is a hug and being told "I love you" (never ever got any of these 2 things) and a therapist (pills too) cannot do that.
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/18/13 05:52 PM
Nancy,
I am so sorry....

I hope that in your adult life you can find those that do love you. You deserve it.

Sometimes people don't give us what we need because they are not capable. You have heard the saying, "You can't give what you don't have."

And while it is true that a therapist and pills cannot "give hugs or say I love you", therapy can help you find yourself - the self that is a loving, beautiful, compassionate person. Sometimes we forget that positive aspect of ourselves from years of defending ourselves from painful experiences and relationships.
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/18/13 09:22 PM
My mom keeps on saying that she never got love when she was young and I do not think it is a valid excuse. If I ever have kids I will love them and show them I love them. At least my parents have always been there in other ways. My dad working like crazy to provide a roof, food and every other important things. My mom also sacrificed in other ways for those important things. When I turned eighteen years old I spent more than a year inside the house not going out (not even in our yard), sleeping, eating, watching television and crying. Other parents would of thrown me out but they did not; it would of been helpful though if they would of at least ask what was wrong! I am still living with them at thirtysix years old (no job and no money). My parents (my dad drove then waited next to the doors..my mom next to me) were there the two times I went to the hospital lately, again no other help but at least I was not completely alone I guess. Speaking of that I went to the hospital again this morning (that second time...i called to get an emergency appointment with my doctor buts shes on vacation this week so i asked for another doctore and they refused) and I got a real doctor this time (i did not know they could be found here!!!)! She asked me to fully explain what was going on then she asked questions followed by a full examination. Then I received blood tests and another test (the thing we see fetuses with but focused on the neck) and everything is normal (i even got the red and white cells vitamins and other things checked...been SEVERAL years since i had that done). Turns out the rude doctor was right (she still should of done all those tests and NOT CALL ME CRAZY), it was all the stress accumulated that gradually came out after that awful filling on that once normal tooth (by the way it still hurts the doc said she could do nothing about that so ill try the last of the 3 dentists available here so im hoping that 1 is normal!!!!!) and it finally was just too much (theres probably all the other stress plus the depression that also came out). And that tooth's problem is not an infection so I chewed forty antibiotics for absolutely nothing, nice isn't it? She did try to make me try antidepressants but after I told her that when nothing is wrong physically with me I can control my depression and function normally (which is true...if not then i would of had that happen before that since i was really feeling bad mental wise ESPECIALLY since Michael Schumacher said that he was retiring again [the first 3 years were not as bad thanks to him]) she accepted it. I did asked for something for the just in case occasions (awful days...panic attacks...not being able to sleep due to stress) and she prescribed ten Ativan (0.5----my mom has them in 1 and her too is just in case so i took 1 and cut it in half and will try 1 tonight right before bed to see if thatll work with me or now). I had two tiny scares during my meal back from the hospital and one big after that same meal then the last meal went almost perfectly, I was feeling that way (thinking of choking...thinking something is stuck...pains) for a while now so it will take a few days probably to shake it all out of me. If at the end of the month I am still getting these symptoms with my neck and throat then that will mean that I cannot function normally then I will be open to try something which I have to take daily.
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/20/13 12:24 PM
Nancy,
I hope you are feeling better today.
Can you see an ear, nose and throat doctor for your current symptoms of neck pain and feelings of choking?
Just a thought.
Sorry you are going through all this...
Posted By: loongdragon Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/22/13 09:43 PM
Dear Dr Hershey-MH

Dear Doc.,Wrote to you a few times.I have 2 subjects for you,if you do not mind ?
first, Terror Nitemares,every nite for quite a while
second:If I am in a restaurant ,and I hear a child yell or talk
very loudly,I get Mad and angry.It happened again tonite.
What could be causing that.These children ,we call Infant Kings
where I live.A few times almost got into fights,not so good for a Buddhist.When I was a child ,lacked love, and attention .Would do the exact things these kids are doing,looking to be the center of attention,and parents just let them yell.
Am I reliving my childhood,and that it is why ,I get so mad .
By writing ,what I just wrote,I beleive I found the source.But how do I stop that anger?
Do you know thatyou are the person that knows the most about my
brain ?
If you have a solution for both or a reference,I would greatly appreciate it.

Handing you flowers
Normand
loong
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/24/13 11:51 AM
Hi Loong,
Did you send a private email? I didn't receive them.
Please let me know what specifically you are asking regarding night terrors....

As far as the restaurant/kids topic.
I can understand you feeling angry/frustrated when kids are loud while you are trying to enjoy your meal and your night out. I think when the parents don't make any effort to discipline it becomes even more frustrating.

Instead of trying to stop your anger....accept it/embrace it. Try to forgive the weakness or difficulties of the other. Once you do you may be able to release it. ...OR a more practical solution is to eat at a different restaurant OR engage the manager...maybe they would be able to politely intervene for the benefit of the other patrons. I don't believe you were the only one bothered and disturbed by the behavior of the kids.....
Posted By: loongdragon Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/24/13 07:27 PM
Dear Doctor Hershey.

I once mentionned tnat I suffer from Terror Nitemares.Did a lot of research on the subject.Could not find the source.Maybe,you being a Doctor .could direct me to readings on the subject,or your own knowledge.19/20 nites of Terror nitemares.Had those for years.But it's getting harder and harder to live those every nite.
Thank you for your time
loong/normand
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/25/13 01:00 PM
Loong,
Ah, yes. We discussed this on another thread I believe.
If you can wait a few weeks (maybe two) I think I would like to write an article on this. This way I can learn more, others can learn more and you may find more information that can help you.
Posted By: Skin Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/28/13 06:12 AM
Well some times it must help us to find the best thing that it would be best for us to get help.Sometimes it make help us and feel us relaxed.
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Anxiety Disorders - 02/28/13 10:40 AM
Skin,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Even the healthiest and most well adjusted person experiences anxiety in some form at some time.
We all have different ways of coping and sometimes hearing what works for others is so very helpful to our own journey of healing.
smile
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Anxiety Disorders - 03/02/13 05:05 PM
Nancy,
I was wondering how you are doing. Because of all the possible medical issues with your teeth/mouth and pains in your neck that you described I was so focused on the choking being somewhat related to a medical problem. As such, I failed to realize that YES! choking is one of ten possible symptoms of a panic attack. It goes along with increased heart palpitations and difficulty breathing....I am so sorry! I can't believe I missed that....I think because clients in the past have not described it just that way. Although, you did mention you sometimes experience panic attacks...does this symptom come at the time of the panic attack or is it just a solo feeling you get now and then?
Please update us or send me a private message.
Thanks!
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Anxiety Disorders - 03/02/13 08:09 PM
No need to apologize! It can also be the way I wrote it, English is not my first language plus I was really freaked out over all of this so it could of shown in my writing. My last panic attacks were because I thought I was choking to death (1 was so severe that my mom really thought i was dying and shes used to seeing me freaking out). I still think about it since passing all those tests in the hospital and finding out it was really in my head but it is less and less and the feeling of chocking and the pain I had with it rarely happens so it is getting better. Some people would say why are you still thinking about that after getting tests done and finding out nothing physically is wrong but when you were like that for close to three months it is hard, especially when you have stress issues to start with plus a depression and already had panic attacks from time to time. Thank you for your concerns!
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Anxiety Disorders - 03/02/13 08:16 PM
And about the panic attacks the last severe was on February 8 and on February 18 I had a small one (that was the day i went to the hospital and got all those tests and found out nothing was real except the tooth pain), after eating I had that feeling (choking) and it freaked me out because it was not on the sides but in the middle, I was like I will not choke after finding out I have nothing wrong physically but it turns out it was mucus, luckily I thought about that before that panic attack became severe! Did not have one since then. I took half an ativan of my mom's (she has them in 1...i was prescribed 10 by 0.5) that day right after my shower before going to bed and I still have that other half just in case, if I have to use it then I'll go get the prescribed ones after.
Posted By: Maggie25 Re: Anxiety Disorders - 03/03/13 12:01 AM
I 'Died' as a three month old baby, and the years have not been too kind to me. Consequently I too suffer from constant Anxiety. Sometimes when something happens in my life to cause me too much stress, my Anxiety levels go through the roof. Otherwise I handle it by taking a small amount of Oxazepam at night to at least help me get to sleep. SSRI's are no good for me as I have adverse reactions. Several years ago as my brain is covered in White Matter Lesions, I had a SPECT Scan done, and my Amygdala lit up like a Christmas tree, lol. It confirmed my state of Anxiety was real. I use to do Yoga and Meditation, but as the years have gone by my ability to at least Meditate has gone. Now I put my mind elsewhere by playing games on my computer. It works as a kind of Bio Feedback and relaxes me. My Brain loves a challenge, and games give me that. I like Word Games, puzzle games, and yes even a not so violent sci fi game or two. Shoot em war type games I'm not into. Margaret
Posted By: loongdragon Re: Anxiety Disorders - 03/03/13 08:11 PM
To all or None,

I am 66 years old ,most of my life I had panic attacks.
Until I understood what a panic attack is.
First a subcounscious fear appears because of you 6 senses.
The subcounscious attaches to it an idea of danger.That idea of danger transform that fear into anxiety.When anxiety appears physical signs also appears.This makes your subconscious go haywire .He is afraid that you will have a panic attack ,so he sends an idea of danger ,that creates the panic attack.

There is one magic expression to reprogram your subconscious regarding the danger mode.

When you feel the process starting ,OUT LOUD ,you repeat THERE IS NO DANGER,THERE IS NO DANGER.That is the only way to reprogram the subconscious.The more you practice ,the more the
subcounscious will be reprogrammed.

I thought this method for 12 years to close to 10,000 persons
all free of charge ,One nite a week fot 12 years.My Panic and
anxiety have long gone. There is hope.try my way you have nothing to loose than becomming better.Hell I have been too.Now I live in a certain form of paradise called bliss.

DO NOT DISPAIR.It can all be cured.

Loong
Normand Joly
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Anxiety Disorders - 03/03/13 08:48 PM
I have tried this method but it does not work for me for long when it does work.
Posted By: Maggie25 Re: Anxiety Disorders - 03/04/13 01:14 AM
Hi Loong, I have to agree with Nancy for I too in the past have tried your method. The problem is that just as I'm reaching that point of relief, something personal happens in my life that starts the Anxiety ball rolling all over again. I'm 65 and I really have led what can only be called a never a dull moment kinda life. Once I was on a Ski Lift with my feet dangling loosly in the air, when the Ski Lift stopped leaving me hanging in mid air I unexpectantly panicked so bad that I almost jumped out of the seat rather than stay put. It took all my strength to wait it out. Never again did I go on a Ski Lift. The funny thing is that I don't mind heights or flying, so it really was a surprise that an anxiety panick attack happened there and then. I was out shopping in the Mall when suddenly I felt lost, lost in a place that I know so well. Anxiety/panic attacks can strike from out of the blue, when you least expect it. For me I've been through some traumatic times in the past, and now I'm going through more trauma, hence my Anxiety is back with a vengence. Still I am feeling better than I was four months ago. I think that's because of the Chemo treatment (Cyclosporine) and Prednisolone I had for a Bad Lupus Flare. It's helped dampen my immune system, though I still have a tremor which the Prednisolone made worse. My Anxiety was brought on in the first place by abuse (which I won't go into as it's very personal)as a small child. Then I was abused in my teens and later I developed auto-immune diseases and earlier found out I was a life time chronic carrier of Hep B (from birth). Only recently in my married life I find out that my husband is a pathological liar and a serial cheater. To say I've had my share of hard knocks is an understatement. However, I may be weak in body but I have got a strong will. I am still here :-) Margaret
Posted By: Jilly Re: Anxiety Disorders - 03/07/13 03:17 PM
Loong, that actually does help me, but it is hard to remember to say it to myself when I am trying to prevent a meltdown.

I need to tattoo it on my wrist or something. :-)
Posted By: LBW Re: Anxiety Disorders - 06/28/13 04:51 AM
shouldve worked but hasnt sorry!!!
© BellaOnline Forums