BellaOnline
Posted By: Candyce - Adventure Living paying to check 2nd bag - 03/30/08 01:04 AM

How do you feel about airlines charging passengers to check a second piece of luggage?

I am angry and wish that passengers had a "bill of rights."
I am perfectly willing to pay for overweight luggage or extra luggage, but I often need to pack a second bag to take along gear (snorkel equipment, etc.), work, battery charges and other
items, especially on a long trip.

How do you feel? Will this change the way you pack for a trip?

Best,
Candyce
Posted By: Bea Scott Re: paying to check 2nd bag - 03/31/08 08:07 AM
Yeah, i usually try and hide stuff in my carryon, its heavy but looks like it is really small hehe
I try that too but often get stopped.
One thing I've done is to buy the biggest bag that I can to pass off as a "purse". I then stuff my purse in there, my camera, any medicines, food, plus I take a carry-on with whatever else I need.
I've gotten a few comments about the size of my "purse," but I smile and keep on walking through security.

Any other ideas?
Best,
Candyce
Posted By: Bea Scott Re: paying to check 2nd bag - 04/03/08 06:34 AM
LOL! I've tried that too Candyce. Its good that the bag trends seem to be leaning towards really oversized purses! laugh
Hi Bea,
I agree. I don't ever want the fashion to go back to clutch purses.

Any other strategies?

Best,
Candyce
I am so angry that American Airlines will soon begin charging $15 to check any suitcase--and that's one way. If you pack two suitcases, my typical extended trip norm, the fee is $60 per person.
Supposedly American is doing this because of the high price of fuel. I wish they would just add charges to the ticket and then we could fly them or not based on the price. This fee seems unfair and illogical, especially after years of the airline industry training passengers to pack small size carry-ons. I know I am going to try and stuff my carry-on to the max.

How do you feel about these new charges? Any suggestions for coping?

Best,
Candyce
Posted By: Lady J Re: paying to check 2nd bag - 05/24/08 05:25 AM
personally I think they should have been charging for second bags quite some time ago. Maybe it's a lack of sympathy, but when americans travel, we tend to pack the dang kitchen sink too! We should conserve and learn that we cannot always get what we want. Plus you still have the option of a carry-on and a very large purse ;0)
Posted By: CrochetQueen Re: paying to check 2nd bag - 05/24/08 05:47 AM
Unless there is a family emergency, I don't fly anymore. I think we pay enough for the tickets and of course they should let you have one bag, and one carry on for free, and anything more they should charge. I am sure this will tell how old I really am, hehehehe but back in the 70's I was paying $25.00 one way to fly to usually California and I remember being really made when they raised it to $35.00 and the reason they stated for that raise was for security, which by the way they NEVER even added more security. I understand things go up, but it seems the airlines keep asking for more money and yet they don't use it for what they say they are going to use it for, you know more maintenance on the planes, more security, etc. And as customers, we should be able to call them on that, but for some reason that never happens.
Posted By: Jen.L Re: paying to check 2nd bag - 05/24/08 05:53 AM
I agree w/ bringing a HUGE purse.

What gets me is if they are starting this - then they should go back to feeding us! I know that is more money but tickets are so pricey and now a second bag charge! Come on!

I almost had a heart attack when I saw the news add - I am leaving for Hawaii next week for the 1st time w/ a baby!!! BUT, Hawaiian Airlines is not doing it - so far. Do you know how much stuff a 5 month old needs :-p

jen
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: paying to check 2nd bag - 05/24/08 01:29 PM
I have two small children too so I know how much you have to take along on a trip!

My main travel is to take the kids and visit family once a year. I could leave some clothes there for me but the kids change sizes each year so couldn't leave stuff there for them. I have to take my lap top with me for business and I got a great carry on suitcase with a laptop insulated bag in it. It still has plenty of room for other things.

I also bought a huge purse into which I place my small purse, camera, book, etc. As much as will fit.

Where they will get you tho is if you are going on a vacation, you'll need shampoo, make up etc and you have to check those items or use very small bottles. Guess I"ll check into travel size everything and carry it all with me.
Posted By: Sharon - Wealth Editor Re: paying to check 2nd bag - 05/24/08 02:00 PM
American Airlines is going to charge $25 for the first check bag too.

The airlines are being hit extremely hard with the cost of fuel. You could say that they need to develop more efficient planes, but all that takes time, money, and engineering. In the meantime, they need to deal with the state of the economy as it is.

Many people are business travelers, and tend to take essentials only - they need to travel as lightly as possible. On the other hand, families going on vacation do, as Jase has said, bring along everything except the kitchen sink. If the airlines spread the cost by increasing the cost of tickets, it penalizes those traveling lightly. Many business travelers are already paying increased prices for "Business Class" seats. It seems fair to charge for each bag, and to begin limiting the size and weight of carry-ons.

The heavier the plane, the greater the amount of fuel necessary to reach the appointed destination. Just consider it a way of "forcing" people to be environmentally aware of how much they are taking from the earth by their materialistic dependence on their "stuff."

If you really think about what you "need", you may find that you have less hassle upon arrival as well. Trips should be a bit of an adventure anyhow, and your children will learn that sometimes "less is more."
Posted By: Jeanne - African Culture Re: paying to check 2nd bag - 05/24/08 02:46 PM
Oh, I had heard $15 for the first bag. I'm going to check on the size retrictions for carry on bags. I'm flying on Delta to Fort Lauderdale in June. I am going to bring 1 check-in as well. I am hoping to not need the check in on the way back home. I'm planning on loading up the check-in bag with things to leave at my fiance's home. LOL

One way to lighten your luggage load: ship some of your clothes and gear ahead of time to your destination via UPS or other such services. Many hotels or condos will store your items for a few days prior to your arrival. Of course, be sure this is okay with your destination hotel and consider if the charges for shipping --and maybe storage--are less than the cost of paying for that first or second checked piece of luggage.
Older travelers and families with young children have found that shipping items ahead, even if it costs a bit more than checking the luggage, makes it much easier to travel.

Families with young kids, can ask the resort to stock their room with diapers and other needed items. Sometimes the only fee is for the products.

What strategies work for you?

Best,
Candyce
I am still angry about the extra fees for checking bags. airlines should figure out a beter way to handle this than always charging the consumer.
Flying somewhere is no longer a luxury. It's a necessity and not just for business travelers. Many individuals and families imply don't have the time to drive to places.
What fuels my anger --pun intended--is that I feel helpless. I have no recourse. For many destinations, there simply is no other option for me than an airplane.
Any suggestions?

Best,
Candyce
I just came back from South Africa and Namibia--wonderful trip--but South African Airlines was very strict about carry-ons and the weight of checked luggage.

Just one carry-on was allowed and it was tough. I had to cram my laptop, two cameras, three lenses and all my batteries into a carry-on as well as my personal items for a 17-hour flight.
I found my expanding carry-on bag to be essential. Glad I brought it along.
What tips have you found useful?
Best,
Candyce

Posted By: BellaShorts Re: paying to check 2nd bag - 06/22/08 08:17 PM
Didnt Naomi Campbell just get arrested/charged for assaulting verbally a stewardess over her lost hand luggage at Heathrow Airport in London?

Luggage Rage lol!

My tip is to get the biggest laptop bag that will squeeze through the gauge and then put all the other in-flight essentials/valuables in too!
That's a good tip. I did that and SAA check-in people said that my carry-on bag was too heavy. I protested and protested. The magic word was "laptop." As soon as I said I had a computer in it, they let me go through.

I am all for increased security, but I don't think the one bag has much to do with this. I think it's a way to lighten loads, save on fuel and charge consumers for luggage that formerly was free.
It takes much patience to fly now.

Best,
Candyce
Posted By: Angie Re: paying to check 2nd bag - 06/28/08 03:04 AM
We're going to be flying later this summer. Flying was at one time enjoyable but not anymore. Having to get to the airport early, having to go through the various stages of security, now the baggage issues, it is an ordeal. Plus that, the food is awful even on longer flights and service is scant.

I think I read somewhere that 900 pilots were being let go on one of the airlines. Gad Zeus, the flights are so overcrowded now but the cost of flying is so high, what can the airlines do? A friend just returned from Europe and they were in a queue of 42 planes. Idling is a waste of fuel also.

The rules for checked baggage seem to be constantly changing.
In today's travel section in the Washington Post (check it out online) there is a handy chart about airline checked luggage fees and charges.

Best,
Candyce
© BellaOnline Forums