BellaOnline
Posted By: Lorel-gifted education Gifts for the Gifted - 11/03/07 01:00 PM
Please post your ideas for holidays gifts for gifted children.

We're focusing on a mostly toy-free Christmas in my family. Gifts will include books, clothes, magazine subscriptions, and museum memberships.
Posted By: Alice - Weight Loss Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/03/07 01:34 PM
I am going to get one of my sons (who is gifted) a hydrogen powered car. Sometimes they ask for the most ridiculous things. However, he did not get a birthday gift this year because he could not think of something he truly wanted. I will get him one eventually, but it has to be the "right gift." I'm sure those of you with gifted children know about how difficult it can be to choose something appropriate.

We don't do "toys" either which makes it difficult. It's not like you can go to Toys R Us and find a suitable gift. The closest we get to toys are Legos and ride-on toys, like bikes. The little ones have dress up clothes.
Posted By: Lorel-gifted education Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/04/07 01:03 PM
Thanks, Bubbles! I have never heard of a hydrogen powered toy car. I'll have to take a look, as it sounds like a good fit for a nephew of mine. Do you have a link?

Dress up clothes are also a favorite here. We have tons of old Halloween costumes and garb from past Renaissance faires. The kids never get tired of it. One tip though- for anyone looking at fancy dresses for little girls, take a look at the scratch factor. Many gifted kids are extremely sensitive to touch and cannot stand to wear scratchy lace or tulle next to their skin. If you see a dress like this you cannot resist, make sure the child has a good soft slip to wear under it.
Posted By: Ms A Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/04/07 03:05 PM
I think gifts that are appropriate vary widely based on interests. When our ds was, I think maybe 12, the best thing we could give him was wire and bolt cutters. (He was making chainmaille.) One year, the two things he asked for were a dictionary and a fish.

This year, he really wants a new camera (his good one, a hand-me-down from my father, died) and Rubik's cube, and timer mat for cubing. Odds are, your kids might NOT enjoy the same gifts. And I think that if I got him dress-up clothes... well, let's not go there! ;-)
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/04/07 03:18 PM
When I was a kid, the gift I got THE most excited about, were the books I got.

I did not read books - I ate them, LOL, still do! The year my mom got me the entire set of CS Lewis "Chronicles of Narnia" I thought I was in heaven. Of course I don't think I left my room for about 2 weeks....

Posted By: zandes Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/05/07 06:17 AM
anybody got any good suggestions for a building set for a pg 5 y.o.? doesn't like legos because they don't flex enough. had the same problem with tinkertoys - he's bent about half of the rods so that they suit the angles and sizes he needs. K'nex are just too tiny to keep track of and keep ending up in the vacuum! but he LOVES to build things! any other good ones? or DURABLE (he is 5 and has a 2 y.o. brother) model-building sets?

if you have one, you're my hero. the family is asking for xmas lists!
Posted By: Lorel-gifted education Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/05/07 12:07 PM
Zandes-

If your son has strong hands and is good at manipulating things, you might consider Zome Tools. These can be a bit difficult for younger kids to utilize, but they are great fun and designed to build cubes, buckyballs, prisms, DNA models, bridges, and more. I can't say enough goood things about Zome. They are a big hit with the Davidson Young Scholars. Check it out here:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: wilreba Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/06/07 01:34 AM
My children enjoy Magnetix. Some of the pieces are flexible tubing.
Posted By: ScoopMagoo@News4Kids Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/06/07 02:01 AM
Chain mail sounds way too cool!

Here is the link for the car:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Lesley Aeschliman Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/06/07 03:01 AM
I personally am not a fan of Magnetix. The magnets are able to come out of them. In my area, the 21-month-old brother of a boy who owned Magnetix found some of the magnets on the floor, swallowed them, and the magnets bonded together in his intestinal tract (which causes fatal blockages). The 21-month-old died.

This is a news article about the recall that took place on the Magnetix sets back in 2006:

Posted By: Lorel-gifted education Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/08/07 07:47 PM
You know, the zome sets have tiny little plastic balls that could be a choking hazard too. These balls are covered in tiny holes, so they may not be as hazardous as other small objects, but still, it is something to consider. I forget about these things as my kids were never mouthy, though we did have one child purposely sticking sunflower seeds up her nose!

I like the look of the hydrogen powered car. Too bad it can't be a little more affordable. That whole site is very fun to browse, and I have bookmarked it for later! Thanks for the link!
Posted By: wilreba Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/11/07 03:27 AM
Did you hear about Auqa Dots? I almost bought these for my children. I'm glad I didn't since I have two that are very oral and I shudder to think what might have happened.
Posted By: Lorel-gifted education Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/11/07 01:25 PM
Thanks for the warning, Rebecca! It sounds as if the Aqua Dots have been pulled off the shelves, but if anyone has them at home, they should get rid of them asap.

Posted By: Lesley Aeschliman Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/11/07 02:13 PM
I heard about the Aqua Dots, too -- scary! My almost three-year-old still likes putting things in her mouth, so I'm glad I don't have those, either.
Posted By: zandes Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/11/07 09:47 PM
zome tools look perfect for him!!!
they just hit the xmas list!
they aren't made in china, are they? lol (well, sort of)
i'm not too worried with my 2yo, since he is also not one to put things in his mouth, and these too shall "pass" smile
as long as it is not toxic or coma inducing, we're okay there.
Posted By: Kari- Softball Editor Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/12/07 10:24 PM
My daughter has asked for a CSI Field Kit. She sat in on an FBI lecture at our local library and says she wants to be an agent when she grows up. She spent weeks using a stamppad to take everyone's fingerprints. The kit has fingerprint powder, crime scene tape, plaster and what promises to be cheap binoculars and a microscope. I found it on the Toysrus website for $40. I figure if she shows enough interest, I can buy her a good microscope for her birthday. She's also asked for a rock tumbler and an iPod. And a trampoline. And a new chess set. And Hannah Montana Tickets. And a new softball bat. *sigh* At least she's well-rounded.
Posted By: Lorel-gifted education Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/14/07 08:22 PM
Kari-

I love your daughter's wish list! She does sound very well rounded. I have a feeling that CSI positions will have their pick of brilliant candidates in a few more years. There are so many gifties interested in that type of work! But when I watch CSI, I can't help but think how mundane much of the work would be without the cool music...

I often chuckle at the asynchrony of my kids wish lists. For example, a six year old asking for a Princess dress and a microscope!

thanks for posting, Kari! Please drop in again soon.
Posted By: Ms A Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/14/07 11:13 PM
Now I have a great image of a little girl in princess dress, peering into the microscope....
Posted By: Lorel-gifted education Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/17/07 11:34 AM
Please check out my new piece on gifts for gifted kids. This week, my focus is on board games:
Posted By: inspirangel Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/18/07 01:20 PM
Sad to say my gifted son who hates writing, most reading and english, is getting a mountain-board!

Funnily enough this ties in with a comment I was thinking of posting on the other thread and that is, it's important to remember that gifted children need an outlet, somewhere to let off energy, preferably in the fresh air and where they are likely to mix with other kids their own age.

Physical activity is one area where they can mix on a level playing field with kids their own age (sometimes preferring company of older kids or adults verbally)- and of course, it doesnt do these kids any harm at all to 'not be the best' for once in a different arena!!

(ps - lorel, I hope you got joke about the Egyptians? ie the story was about Amun Aphet the Sung God!)

Siobhain
short stories
Posted By: Lorel-gifted education Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/19/07 11:09 PM
Siobhain-

I agree with you on the importance of encouraging gifted kids to also have a physical outlet. It's great for relieving stress, bolsters the brain, helps facilitate peer relations with age-mates, and yes, it can be one area where they have some competition!

I got the Egypt reference... thanks! Sometimes I miss the obvious, so it's always good to ask! smile

Posted By: Lorel-gifted education Re: Gifts for the Gifted - 11/19/07 11:15 PM
Lesley-

It sounds like we have daughters about the same age. What is your little girl wishing for this year? Mine hasn't asked for much, though she has been admiring a hooded velvet dress up cloak from one of the toy catalogs. I'm sure she'd love a subscription to a magazine of her own too. I'm thinking of either Ladybug or Click. My older kids loved these when they were little.
© BellaOnline Forums