BellaOnline
Posted By: Susan - Democratic Party Senator Ted Kennedy - 08/28/09 10:28 PM
While my family was strolling the boardwalk on our vacation, we saw the newspaper headline that Sen. Kennedy had died.

Does anyone have any thoughts about his life or reactions to his death that they would like to share? I'm going to keep silent, because I think I'll be writing my thoughts in an article for the site.
Posted By: Claybird Re: Senator Ted Kennedy - 08/30/09 04:39 PM
I want to share what a dear old friend, a proud Liberal, wrote to me. Her eloquence far surpasses mine.
"I mourn Kennedy deeply. And I mourn the end of decency in the
congress as well. I pity those still in office who by any reason should look at their own careers and wonder at their inability to inspire as he did. To realize that they are letting this golden opportunity slip by, to be revered and remembered lovingly as one who fought the good fight for the people. They should look at their chance to yet rise and want to
be thought well of and deeply missed when their time comes to be carried away. Instead a lot of them are already assuring their backers that they will not be moved away from their frozen positions by a few thousand mourners tears....and that they will remain loyal to those who have bought them, like honored and loved serfs loyal to their masters to the end. How doubly sad for us, to lose a good man and be left with the deadbeats. Heaven forbid that they be shamed by their selfishness as
they watch the coffin of a real dedicated warrior being buried and realize that they have one more chance to do the good they were put on this earth to do. They are already grumbling that they will not be forced to pass what they do not want, or even name a bill in honor of someone who literally gave his last breaths fighting for us. Shame for them just does not exist, and even my pity for them is wasted. A pox on them, once they have no more health care coverage of their own. "
Posted By: Susan - Democratic Party Re: Senator Ted Kennedy - 08/30/09 04:55 PM
Thanks so much for sharing that.
Posted By: Lady J Re: Senator Ted Kennedy - 08/30/09 08:44 PM
did anyone listen to the eulogy of Obama for kennedy? It was wonderfully eloquent and a moving tribute.
Posted By: Susan - Democratic Party Re: Senator Ted Kennedy - 08/30/09 09:28 PM
Yes, it was very eloquent, but then President Obama is always eloquent! I thought the eulogies from Senator Kennedy's sons were so beautiful -- he must have been a wonderful father.
Posted By: Susan Keeping Re: Senator Ted Kennedy - 08/30/09 11:03 PM
I watched all the proceedings, the memorial, the funeral and the burial. I was truly touched. His sons speeches were great.

I have always considered Bobby Kennedy to be my favorite of the Kennedy brothers but I have to admit that none of the brothers did more for the cause than Teddy. Of course, he got to live out his life. Who knows what Jack and Bobby would have accomplished had they been allowed to.

I have planned to visit Washington and Arlington for a few years; I think next year will be the year.
Posted By: Susan - Democratic Party Re: Senator Ted Kennedy - 08/30/09 11:13 PM
I watched all the coverage, too. I mentioned to my husband that I haven't been to Arlington since I was a child, and we discussed going there this fall.

Yes, Teddy is the only one who got to live a full life. As one of the broadcasters last night said, he really kept the flame alive.
Posted By: bepart Re: Senator Ted Kennedy - 09/07/09 05:16 AM
I have read many books about the Kennedy's and it is difficult to get past the way Ted Kennedy treated his wife, Joan, and his very numerous extramarital affairs. I find it hard to place him on a pedestal and admire him. His true character is embarrassing.

Posted By: Susan - Democratic Party Re: Senator Ted Kennedy - 09/07/09 03:32 PM
I know what you mean. I thought a lot about that when I heard he died. It's difficult to separate someone's personal life from his "job," but I still think he did his job (being Senator) very well. As for his private faults, I believe they are his to handle. Maybe I would not have chosen him as a friend because of them, but I still would have approved of his job performance.

Thank you for your comment.
© BellaOnline Forums