BellaOnline
Hi All! It’s a Halloween article! I give you a list of my ideas for spooky fun, as well as share what frightens me in the alley behind our house. And . . . a purple appearance by Beaslie the Bat!

Halloween is the time for things like pumpkins, witches, ghosts, and of course, trick or treat. Wait, you’re a teenager now. Isn’t all that spookiness and candy collecting just for kids? Don’t fret — these ideas will let you keep the title of teen, and have a fun Halloween.

Halloween and Being Thirteen
We don't get many trick or treaters in our neighborhood, but . . . they have a cool program at our library where they have games, and puppets, stories, and of course, CANDY!!!!!
Doing a little bit of creative thinking and writing about the curiosities and traditions of Halloween!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Halloween and Being Thirteen - 10/26/15 10:12 AM
It looks like my daughter will be doing the scary movie marathon with her friends smile They'll get dressed up in costumes, and then stay up till all hours eating way too much candy LOL!! Luckily, this will be happening at her friend's house - which means I'll get some sleep HA HA!!
How cool! I take full responsibility for this idea!

What is your daughter dressing up as? I'm also sending you a picture I found of how to make creepy eyes with Oreo Cookies!!!

What!? No party at your house. Oh, how much fun you will miss.

*Snicker*

Seriously, I hope she has a wonderful time!
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Halloween and Being Thirteen - 10/26/15 03:04 PM
Chel, she's keeping it simple. She's some kinda anime character - she has a hooded jammie type thing to wear.

And yes, you should totally take credit wink

Ya, I will kinda miss a party. Over the years we've enjoyed having company, and a fire in the fire pit. Several years we had a potluck at another friend's home while the kids wandered around town. Good times, good times.

If it's just me and my hubby, we may just have the fire anyway, or maybe sit out front and hand out candy. Though we really don't get that many trick-or-treaters here.
We don't get many trick-or-treaters which has saddened me since we moved here. We might get a visit or two from a few on our street, but not regularly.

This year, I gave some candy to our local library for a program they are having for kids in our area.

And, I just might be forced to buy a bag of Halloween candy for myself.

We had a fire last weekend in our pit and might have another this weekend!

Should I get chocolate, something sweet, or both?
Chel, I just saw this post as I was scanning.

We have never ever had many trick or treaters on Halloween. Now we are in a new place across the street from where we had none, which wasn't gated - and this one is, then I need to ask the neighbors for advice on how much candy to buy! lol.

When I saw your post I wanted to share what my son (35) in England was doing for Halloween. He and his family work for the church a lot and so they are having a pumpkin carving after school, and then they are going around the neighborhood GIVING candy - but the kids don't dress up as anything scary, it's all princesses and cute little things.

I thought it was a great concept in today's society, especially in England. I had to smile knowing that they live a good life and are happy doing what they are doing.

And yes! It saddens me when I can't GIVE MY CANDY AWAY!
Allyson! Thank you so much for sharing your son's Halloween activities. That sounds awesome. You know, I'm not quite up to date on which countries celebrate and which don't. It was interesting to hear about pumpkin carving, and I love the GIVING!

Although we don't get trick-or-treaters, I see them at the library and some of the activities that are held around our neighborhood. Some of the costumes frighten me!!
I know they have a zombie kind of thing here in the city as well that you have to pay to attend. And, I have never been big on the Haunted Houses you can go through!

Which reminds me, I was just at the store and did not even buy myself any red licorice!!!!

smile
Trick-or-Treat was last night in Columbus, Ohio. We did not have any visitors, but I did take a quick walk and saw some really creative and cute costumes out and about! Have you had Trick-or-Treat yet in your area? Are you dressing up? Tell me about your costumes and your candy!!!!

Happy Halloween
Chel
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Halloween and Being Thirteen - 10/30/15 12:38 PM
As far as I know, trick-or-treating will be on Saturday night here in So. Cali. We don't get a bunch of trick-or-treaters, but we get a few, so we'll have candy on hand smile

And we'll start eating it as soon as we get it, which will probably be later today because I am craving me some milky way! HA HA!
HA!!!!! I was tempted to buy some bagged Halloween candy, under the guise of WE MIGHT GET KIDS! Alas, I just bought some red licorice. smile
Yea, I live in the same state as Deanna, so we trick and treat tomorrow. I'm being a bore this year and going as myself. My husband said that should do the trick! lol

My girls are going as a cat and a pirate girl. We WILL buy candy for sure, as my husband will feel left out if we don't. However, ours is a gated community and I don't think we are going to get much traffic. And Deanna? We have to buy candy with peanut butter cups for mommy here - just have to - cos I'm all out!lol
Allyson! You are not going as a bore. You are going as an accomplished writer and author!

Mmmmm. . . now I want a peanut butter cup!

You know, my friend in Virginia also has Trick-or-Treaters on Halloween night. We have what is called here, Beggars Night, and it's alway before Halloween.
Thanks Chel,

It's fun learning about others holiday rituals. Never heard of Beggars Night before. In England every year, on November 5th, they celebrate Bonfire Night.

I sent my parents a Bonfire Night Hamper with some of their favorite goodies from the beautiful Lake District where we all used to go hiking. They have fireworks, bonfires and best of all bonfire night food such as pork pies and mushy peas, baked potatoes, treacle toffee...I could go on - somethings I just miss.
Hiya everyone and Michelle,

In that haunted house we were brave
More so when we saw that grave
In the kitchen, near the snacks
On all of 'witch' we turned our backs
So our hearts from beating wildly we could save!

So there we were out trick or treating
While our sweeties and all we were eating
Ten to the dozen
Me and my cousin
Smiley mouths full of chocolates and sweeting!

This feisty Halloween person, a witch
Decided she'd actually switch
From tricking to treating
Spending more time on greeting
Every-others she'd make candy rich!

I hope you all meet a feisty Halloween person who makes you candy rich this pumpkin season ...

Cheers now
Allyson - Thank you sharing your gift to your parents. I loved your note about Bonfire Night. My maiden name is West. My grandparents on my father's side came to the US from England, my grandmother was pregnant with my father. My mother's parents came here from Germany, my mother was conceived in the US.

I hope you had a great Halloween!

Lestie - thank you so much for posting your limericks in my forum. I am honored. I loved them.
Michelle, we had a Boo Blast. We went to the rich area of town and got extremely exquisite treats. Was a lot of fun.
Allyson, please describe exquisite treats. I will live through you!!!!
Michelle, those are the sweet treats that you don't buy for yourself because they are expensive...such as truffles...so yummy!
OH!!!!! Truffles! Yum, and expensive chocolates! Now, I want chocolate. Can I consider that a NaNoWriMo treat? smile
© BellaOnline Forums