BellaOnline
Posted By: Angela - Drama Movies Native Women in Film Festival - 01/16/20 12:01 AM
The Native Women in Film Festival 2020 takes place February 5th and 6th in Los Angeles at the Lumiere Music Hall. All the films screening are directed by women except for "Sacheen Breaking the Silence", helmed by Peter Spirer. Sacheen Littlefeather spoke on behalf of Marlon Brando at the 1973 Academy Awards. Brando refused to accept his Oscar for "The Godfather" citing the treatment of Native Americans both on and offscreen. Littlefeather is now in her 70s and has decided to tell her side of the story. More info is available on the website. Native Women in Film
Posted By: Monika R Canada Re: Native Women in Film Festival - 01/16/20 12:28 AM
Interesting that Marlon Brando was so ahead of the times. Can't wait to read Littlefeather's side of the story. Sometimes I wonder if we can ever rectify the wrongs inflicted on Natives.
I just finished reading There There, and 1491, and have a new perspective. Thanks for posting.
Hi Monica,

Speaking of books - I'm currently reading "Red River Girl" about the murder of Tina Fontaine. I believe you're Canadian so you may already be familiar with the case. The abnormally high murder rate for Indigenous women is a problem in both the US and Canada. I think it's one of the issues that Native Women in Film wants to highlight.

"Red River Girl" tells the story from both the POV of the police and Tina's family. It's an excellent book and I would be surprised if it were not made into a film.
Posted By: Monika R Canada Re: Native Women in Film Festival - 01/17/20 06:45 AM
hi Anglea
Yes, sadly the name Tina Fontaine is familiar and I wish I knew of it from other circumstances. I will check our Red River Girl. Tina and her family deserve justice and peace. Thanks
© BellaOnline Forums