BellaOnline
I am starting a special series on the Drama Movies site that focuses on the horse in cinema. Horses are inherently cinematic and have been a subject for filmmakers from the beginning of the medium. The first film I review in the series is the 1979 classic "The Black Stallion". Look for the series to continue through the month of January. The Black Stallion Film Review
The subject of my second article in the series is "Dark Horse", a documentary directed by Louise Osmond. When Osmond was asked if she looked to other horse movies for inspiration, this was her reply.

"I watched them all, although my true favorite is “The Black Stallion.” I focused on trying to portray the relationship between a horse and person and that was the one I always adored."

Dark Horse Film Review
Just posted my third film review in the series. "Into the West" stars Gabriel Byrne. He once said, "I would like to break out of this 'dark, brooding' image, cause I'm actually not like that at all. In Ireland, brooding is a term we use for hens. A brooding hen is supposed to lay eggs. Everytime somebody says 'He's dark and brooding' I think: 'He's about to lay an egg'."

I have to say--in this film, he is dark and brooding and absolutely great while doing it. Into The West Film Review
My 4th review in this series is now available. "Of Horses and Men" is the audacious feature film debut from writer-director Benedikt Erlingsson. If you enjoy the work of Alan Ball ("American Beauty", "Six Feet Under"), this film is for you. Of Horses and Men Film Review
Looking forward to the release of "The Mustang". Directed by Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre, the film stars Matthias Schoenaerts as an incarcerated man given a second chance. He takes part in a rehabilitation program that allows prisoners to train wild horses. Bruce Dern co-stars and Robert Redford is the executive producer. "The Mustang" will premiere at this year's Sundance Film Festival (Jan. 24th - Feb. 3rd) and hits theaters on March 15th. The Mustang Official Trailer
At the Gotham Awards in New York City last night, writer-director Laure de Clermont-Tonnere won the Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director Award for "The Mustang". The 2019 film stars Matthias Schoenaerts as a convict who trains wild horses and in so doing, begins to heal.

I was reminded of "The Mustang" while watching "Horse Powers: From the Land of the Vikings". It's a Norwegian documentary that tells the story of 3 people whose lives have been impacted by their relationships with horses. A veteran suffering from PTSD is shown traveling to the US to participate in a horse therapy program. Some of the scenes are similar to what is shown in "The Mustang" and, I felt, more effective.
© BellaOnline Forums