BellaOnline
Hey everyone! I'm Heather and I'm the new Reality TV Editor for Bella Online. I look forward to getting to know everyone and share the love of reality tv with you all!

It is so hard for me to narrow down my favorite show but I really enjoy Jon & Kate Plus 8 and The Girls Next Door (what a combination). I'm looking forward to the Bachelor too which starts its new season on Monday!

So what is your favorite reality tv show?
I guess I will say Survivor. Jeff Probst is kinda cute and those games that they think up to play - GREAT!

If someone is an activities director or is in charge of games at company picnics - they should try some of them.
Welcome!!!
I have a few...
Top Chef...The Biggest Loser...definitely Hell's Kitchen...and the new one that started the other night Momma's Boys - I think it's called...that show is TOO funny.
Posted By: GrannyH Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 01/01/09 03:27 AM
Welcome to Bella.

I don't watch very much RealityTV. I probably haven't seen most of what is available. As many years as Survivor has been on, I have never seen it. I am however, hooked on American Idol and Dancing with the Stars. I like Project Runway, but don't care if I miss it sometimes. Will Jay Leno's new project fall in the category of Reality or does Reality mean contest?

Again Heather, Welcome and I hope you have a long future here.
Posted By: rdywenur Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 01/01/09 04:45 AM
I don't watch reality shows. I think they are the sorriest and worse form of entertainment to be broadcast on TV. When no on ecan think of writing anything then they come up with "reality". I think I deal with plenty of reality in my own personal life. I am waiting TVLand. TV has become B-O-R-I-N-G!!!!!!
Thanks so much for the welcome everyone! I like all of those shows as well. Big Brother is another fave of mine! I'm so excited for American Idol to start up too! So much fun.

GrannyH, there are a lot of reality shows that aren't contests. I'm not really sure what Jay Leno is up to with his project. I'll have to go check into it though.

Have any of you seen commercials for the "Beauty Contest" that is coming on after The Bachelor. It looks like it might be funny too.

What channel does Momma's Boys come on? That sounds interesting.

P.S I think Jeff Probst is cute too. lol!
Momma's Boy's comes on Monday nights and I was surprised that it was on network television, NBC I think. Watching the overprotective mom's is pretty funny, though I'm not sure that they're supposed to be.
I think reality shows REALLY made it big during the writers strikes because they didn't really need a script. I really love the cooking one's because I like to watch the recipes they put together. As a matter of fact, my sister bought the Top Chef cookbook for me for Christmas. It's fascinating!

Posted By: GrannyH Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 01/02/09 03:46 AM
Momma's Boy is another one I don't watch, but I think you're right about it being NBC. There were several episode of it on BRAVO tonight. NBC and BRAVO are sister networks, but isn't this show brand new? I don't understand the repeating so soon, even if today is a holiday.

I also think you are right about reality shows being a result of the Writer's strike, but the strike of many years ago - back when Survivor started. The most recent strike just added to the numbers. I don't know where all the writers went after the strike, but I don't think they returned to TV.

I'm sure I don't know the criteria for being called "reality". I mentioned Jay's new project above; it is planned to be a primetime talk show. Rosie just started a primetime variety show. I don't know if that is making it, or even still one. Are either of them called "reality"?
One of my favorites Hell's Kitchen starts a new season on January 29th. I hope the contestants are better then they were last time. They were SO annoying!!!
Posted By: bridgee Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 01/24/09 03:39 PM
My all time favorite is Survivor. I will watch most of the reality shows that are on tv, they show them over & over. I'm waiting for I love Money 2, I think it's funny to see what they will do for money. I'm also watching Real World Brooklyn. I live in staten Island, right over the bridge from Brooklyn. I try to see if I know any of the places they go to.
Posted By: SandySpell Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 01/24/09 10:31 PM
Biggest Loser Fan here. I love that show because it is competitive and yet very real. The people on there are trying to change their health and lives. They are not in it just for the money, or the camera's.

The only other one I used to watch was American Idol, but I am mostly burned out on that show. I watched it the first couple of seasons and that was enough.

Sandy

www.mygritsconfessions.com
Is it my imagination or do they have "season's" of the biggest loser start up as soon as one ends? It seems like the last season just ended. I love the show, but miss it often.
Posted By: SandySpell Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 01/26/09 02:26 AM
Hi Dianne,

I think they do that now. They didn't use to, and it could be 'backed up' because of the writers strike last spring and summer when all of the shows got messed up on their schedules. It used to run twice a year, but since the strike, it seems to be on practically all the time. I do love the show and hate it when I miss it.

Sandy

my blog = www.mygritsconfessions.com
I really like the Real Housewives of Atlanta lol. Those ladies crack me up
The Bachelor! I'm so addicted to this train wreck of a show, I cannot help it. I go nuts over it.
Posted By: annabelc Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 03/15/09 10:11 AM
I like amazing race. I feel i can learn something from it, like geography and culture. I used to watch American Idol, but, it seems to get a bit repetitive..
Posted By: raleigh Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 03/17/09 09:01 PM
For some reason, I have been engrossed with American Idol this season. I am addicted. I just started watching Dancing With the Stars and that has been fun too! I almost feel so bad for the people who get eliminated every week!
My husband loves the Amazing Race. So now, I have gotten into it. We think that we could easily win the race. The only problem is that I am afraid of heights. So, I would not be able to bungee jump without throwing up all my guts! Mattie a la mode
Posted By: FashionFiend Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 03/26/09 08:57 PM
The City and the Real Housewives series
Posted By: Sheryl T Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 03/26/09 09:35 PM
I like The Amazing Race and The Biggest Loser.
Sheryl
Hi Raleigh,
I watch Dancing with the Stars too. My only issue with the show are some of the "stars" they put on there, where you KNOW there is no way they can win and are only there for entertainment/comedic purposes...I feel sorry for the star to a point, then they end up staying and some of the good stars get voted off.
I do enjoy watching it though.
I love Survivor and have been watching it since it came on. I think most of the reality shows are pretty stupid but for some reason I just love Survivor. I agree with what someone else said they cannot come up with any good new shows so they put all these reality shows on. Also have you seen all the remakes of all the old shows that are coming out? I couldn't believe it the other day next season Hawaii 5 O is coming out remade. Whatever. I am glad I like to read alot
Posted By: Jilly Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 06/07/10 07:11 PM
My mom likes the 'entertainment' ones like Idol and the dancing ones. I am just not moved by those. They remind me of cruise ship shows for some reason.

I love Biggest Loser - it moves me to see people working hard to improve their lives. Plus I work out while it's on. I can't just sit there and watch it. I even watch the Aussie versions.

I also watch Top Model - I love the photography and the 'editorial' elements of the art. I enjoy seeing how different the girls look on film from in person. It's fascinating that the prettiest girls are not usually the best in photographs. I like the real edgy stuff the best - the awkward poses and complicated scene settings.
Posted By: Bonniesa Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 06/14/10 12:34 AM
My two favorite reality shows are summer ones. Last week The Next Food Network star premiered and tonight HGTV Design Star.
Posted By: new2bella Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 06/14/10 02:24 AM
I love Hell's Kitchen with Gordon Ramsay. I also like Biggest Loser. Those are probably my two favorite (that I can think of).
Posted By: Missslinky Re: What is your favorite reality show? - 06/14/10 10:16 PM
I'm really loving Losing It with Jillian. Of course I miss Bob so it doesn't completely fill the Biggest Loser hole but it does keep me motivated. I saw today that the show is moving to 8pm on Tuesdays which is perfect timing for when I start craving fattening snacks. ;-)
© BellaOnline Forums