BellaOnline
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Soup du jour - 10/05/13 09:48 PM
Soup goes so well with sandwiches and I thought that we could share our soup ideas. What kind of soup do you like with sandwiches? Now, your turn...
Posted By: Chelle Marriage - Marriage Editor Re: Soup du jour - 10/05/13 10:24 PM
I love creamy potato soup with a good BLT!
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 10/06/13 01:39 AM
one half tomato and butter sandwich on sourdough with bean soup!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/06/13 10:06 PM
I made a good creamy soup today. It had a baked potato, all mashed up, and artichoke jalapeno dip with milk to thin everything out. I microwaved it and had a good lunch.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/08/13 06:52 AM
Yesterday, I added broccoli and cheese to the artichoke soup. It went well with my sandwich.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/14/13 08:24 PM
I cooked some instant brown rice in V-8 in the microwave, then added half a can of tomato soup, a teaspoon of butter, and half a can of milk. It was heated for a minute in the microwave, then it was ready to go with a tiny chicken sandwich.
Posted By: Sadhana ~ Indian Food Re: Soup du jour - 10/14/13 08:26 PM
I'm old school -- tomato bisque & a serious grilled cheese sandwich!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/14/13 10:09 PM
Sadhana, I love to read your soup recipes on the Indian Food site.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/22/13 02:58 AM
My soup last night was chicken broth, celery, carrots, onions, and potsticker dumplings. This would be good with some roll-ups/pinwheels or an open-face sandwich on a Kim's Magic Pop.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/24/13 04:44 AM
I just finished a bowl of cream of mushroom. It is the ultimate comfort food for me.
Posted By: Elleise - Clairvoyance Re: Soup du jour - 10/24/13 06:23 AM
Oh, that sounds good!

Bean soup, is one of my favorites! Broccoli/cheese, French onion, etc.

I just made a winter root vegetable soup.

This has a twist though. I've been pestering my husband, in a way. I'm like get your cholest. checked. It just came at me over and over.

So he procrastinates all the while, I'm getting these feelings. I've got this CoQ something, fish on the groc. list and told him we're GOING (love) to eat veggie soup.

Not his favorite. Closest I can get is grilled cheese and tomato. But I make mine from scratch. Anywhoo. He had one of those free check up things and all the heart health oat meal I've had on the list, the fish, the omegas, he came home and said..."I've got high everythihg...can we have veggie soup?

Well I knew he was going in and by the time he got home there was a fresh pot of it waiting for him...lol.

One of the better reasons to have a "Clair" in the house wink
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/24/13 01:03 PM
I love turnip soup! Have you tried my Mini-Pumpkin Soup Recipe? It is so tasty!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/25/13 04:30 PM
I had some more cream of mushroom with my chicken and cheese pita.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/26/13 09:58 PM
Today, I have organic chicken broth, celery, onions, seaweed, and Asian dumplings.

This is a good soup for roll-ups and light sandwiches.
Posted By: Elleise - Clairvoyance Re: Soup du jour - 10/27/13 02:21 AM
That sounds awful... confused
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 10/27/13 07:11 AM
Today I had a vegetarian soup: peanuts, vermicelli, peas, chopped lettuce in a broth from a vegie cube. Also seasoned with curry powder, salt and pepper. Just spicy enough and served hot. Delicious.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/27/13 11:51 AM
Sounds delightful! Did you make enough to get you through the storm?
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 10/27/13 01:46 PM
no, Connie, I am apprehensive about the storm, though - now named St. Jude.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/28/13 06:11 PM
Elleise, what sounds awful? It was quite tasty! The seaweed adds vitamins and minerals, while the Asian noodles (potsticker dumplings) add a bit of bulk to the whole thing.

Usually, I make my own soup stock, however this time I used a store bought organic chicken stock. If you are not vegetarian, this is a good choice for making soup. I get it at Costco.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 11/14/13 11:03 PM
I love tomato soup made with V-8, with a scoop or cooked brown rice, and a pat of Kerrygold butter on top.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 11/18/13 07:42 AM
Yesterday, I had a soup with broccoli, spinach-artichoke dip, potato, and milk. It only took about 10 minutes to make, and that included washing and peeling the potato!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/06/13 07:46 AM
I didn't feel well yesterday, so I ate soup. There was egg drop soup with little tofu cubes. I also had some miso soup with tofu. Later, when my stomach was better, I had hot and sour soup. My local Chinese restaurant, Tea Garden, makes wonderful soups.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/19/13 01:49 AM
I am just putting the finishing touches on a new easy, cheesy soup recipe. It's Spicy Cheesy Veggie Chowder. So far, it's a hit!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/21/13 12:34 PM
My husband took a crock pot full of the Spicy Cheesy Veggie Chowder to a potluck. He came home with one, lone cup of soup. With the weather in Kansas, this is my pick of the day. Its warmth will chase away the chills! Here is the recipe.

Spicy Cheesy Veggie Chowder Recipe
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/22/13 08:45 AM
Seafood Chowder!

I chopped some celery, carrots, peppers, onion, added water and placed 2 frozen tilapia fillets on top. I covered the pan and cooked for 12 minutes. Then, I let it stand for about 15 minutes while I played with Mr. Snickers, our cockatiel. After Snickie went into his house, I added a large can of ready-to-eat clam chowder to the mix and stirred it up with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar and pepper. Yummy stuff! Easy, too!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/23/13 02:24 PM
I had a Chinese soup festival today. I loved the hot and sour soup and egg drop soup at my favorite restaurant.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/24/13 09:50 AM
A nice broccoli cheddar soup goes with almost any sandwich.

Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/27/13 02:28 PM
I used organic chicken broth with onion, celery, and carrot simmered in the broth. Then, I added chicken and veggie potstickers. It makes a delightful soup.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/30/13 03:53 PM
My husband is making his lentil vegetable soup today. It is yummy stuff and so tasty when it is this cold.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/01/14 11:44 AM
Broth with onion and celery with chunks of turkey and tiny dumplings.

To make a single serving of dumplings I used these approximate measurements:
1/4 cup flour, a sprinkle of salt, 1/3 teaspoon baking soda,
1 tablespoon of butter, and milk to make a drop batter. I mixed the dry ingredients in a small bowl and worked the butter in with my fingers. Then, I added the milk a little at a time and stirred after each addition. When I had a sticky drop batter, I dropped the dumplings by teaspoon into boiling broth. Then, I covered them (simmering over medium heat) and cooked them for about 12 minutes-more or less.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/03/14 01:36 AM
Smooth lentil soup.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/04/14 11:43 AM
Oyster stew with fresh standard oysters, potatoes, celery, onion, salt, pepper, milk, and butter.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/04/14 11:46 AM
Turkey chili with crushed corn chips and cheese on top. Serve it with a hot dog or grilled bologna sandwich.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Soup du jour - 01/04/14 06:27 PM
My soup yesterday was a tuscan white bean soup. I cheated and made it from a dry mix packet by Alessi, but it was dang good.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/06/14 12:37 PM
That sounds fantastic. Mine was lentil with crumbled tortilla chips (a good way to use what's in the bottom of the bag)heated on top.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 01/06/14 02:11 PM
Today I had homemade mushroom soup with the addition of potatoes, carrots, celery and a bit of chopped onions - delish!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/07/14 12:04 AM
Sounds amazing. Tonight I had mushroom soup out of a can. I liked it, but yours sounds better.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 01/07/14 04:17 AM
I like Campbell's mushroom soup, but here in The Netherlands it is not available - so I cook from scratch ...
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/07/14 10:30 AM
Do you have the Aldi brand? It is as good as the Campbell's, as long as it is not the Healthy Choice type of soup. That's yucky.
Posted By: LanceB.- Alter Ego Re: Soup du jour - 01/07/14 10:46 AM
Imitation Crab Soup with a base of pipian mole and roast orange and yellow bell peppers, roast red and white onion, roast zucchini, roast tomatoes, cinnamon and white rice.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 01/07/14 11:25 AM
Connie, we do have an Aldi's in our village - I'll check it out and let you know.

Today - chicken soup with potatoes, celery, onions, chopped lettuce, seasoned with curry powder - again delish.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/08/14 12:59 AM
Today veggie soup. The recipe will be on the site on Saturday. I know a lot of people are intimidated by the thought of making homemade soup. It is so easy. Plus, there is no better way to be frugal with veggies that have lost their crunch.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 01/09/14 05:49 AM
Connie, I looked at the canned soup selection in our local Aldi - it was all the healthy choice type, so I didn't buy those. I don't mind cooking soup, as you say it is a good way to use up those vegies no longer crunchy ... thanks for all your sandwich and soup ideas on your site and here in the forum.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/09/14 06:53 AM
Susan, thanks for all of YOUR sandwich and soup ideas. You and other readers inspire me to write on the forum on a daily basis.

The regular Aldi mushroom sour is delightful. The healthy kind is just nasty! (in my opinion)
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/12/14 11:00 AM
Vegetable soup with a turkey/V-8 broth and onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, green beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and pinto beans.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/13/14 07:36 AM
Chicken broth, onions, celery, carrot shreds, mushrooms, and pot stickers.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/14/14 06:32 AM
Hot and Sour soup. I get this from my favorite Chinese restaurant.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/15/14 01:23 AM
Chef's Cupboard (Aldi) Cream of Mushroom made with milk and sprinkled with pepper.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/17/14 12:05 AM
It's cold here tonight, and the potsticker soup hit the spot!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/21/14 07:52 AM
Chili made with burger, pinto beans, spices, V-8, and Jack's Special Salsa.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/23/14 07:35 PM
Cream of Green soup is made with brocolli, potatoes, canned milk, celery, onions, and cheese. It's thick and delicious!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/31/14 08:47 AM
Blended smooth lentil with tomatoes and curry spices.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/10/14 08:03 AM
Egg drop soup with broth, eggs, small pieces of carrot, onion, and celery with cubes of tofu.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/11/14 08:13 AM
Lentil vegetable soup with spicy chicken sausage.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/12/14 08:29 AM
Tomatoes, onion, okra, and corn with elbow macaroni and sausage crumbles. Top it with cheese.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 02/12/14 10:56 AM
Today I added flat pasta bowties to my peanut soup. They were a good addition as they didn't get mushy. Also added sliced carrots, chopped lettuce, and corn. Good lunch.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/13/14 01:07 AM
Tell me more about the peanut soup.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/13/14 09:02 PM
I love to make soup! Susan enjoys her peanut soup. What's your favorite? How do you make it?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/14/14 08:06 AM
Canned tomato soup made with milk and V-8 for a rich, tangy flavor.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/20/14 07:52 AM
Tonight I am having a wonderful soup that I've mentioned before. You take a medium baked potato, peeled, and smash it up in a bowl. Mash in 1/4 cup of Spinach-Artichoke dip. Then, stir in 1/2 cup of milk. Microwave it until it is warm. Add a bit of pepper, and it is heaven in a bowl.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/02/14 12:43 PM
Last night I had potsticker dumplings in hot and sour soup. It was so hearty.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/18/14 12:41 PM
Cream of mushroom with extra mushrooms.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/20/14 04:42 PM
Beef broth, carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms and tortellini. This was the delish soup that I ate at Adrian's Cafe in Overland Park, Kansas.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/24/14 07:21 AM
Okra, tomatoes, corn, onions, brown rice, chicken, and sausage with Old Bay seasoning.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/24/14 10:25 PM
Chicken broth, celery, onion, cilantro, chicken chunks, and spaetzle noodles.

Delicious!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/27/14 12:23 AM
Tonight I had a warm bowl of celery soup when I got home from a cold night of work.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/27/14 07:36 AM
Chicken and brown rice with small diced chicken, onion, celery, carrots, and sweet peppers, then seasoned with Lawrey's salt and pepper.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/31/14 09:09 PM
Today for lunch I wasn't feeling good, so I made fake matzo ball soup. I didn't have matzo meal, so I used panko bread crumbs and saltine cracker crumbs. Then, I made the dumplings using butter, broth, seasonings, and eggs. After that, I cooked them in some broth with fresh spring greens and green onion. Pretty good stuff!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/09/14 12:15 AM
Take your favorite creamy dip and turn it into a soup by adding some baked potato, celery, onions, and a bit of milk.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/10/14 10:45 PM
I had egg drop soup tonight. It was from Tea Garden and was delicately flavored with broth, veggies, small cubes of tofu, and egg.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/16/14 07:34 AM
Classic tomato soup made with milk. This is always good with a grilled sandwich.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 04/17/14 06:59 AM
Today I made creamed potato soup and added chopped celery leaves, fresh cilantro and basil leaves. Seasoned with curry powder and pepper. Delish...
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/17/14 07:07 AM
It sounds wonderful. Too bad that you don't live in Kansas!
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 04/17/14 10:51 AM
I can pretend to live in Kansas. Isn't that where Dorothy - wizard of Oz is from? I love her red sparkling shoes. My daughter is an elementary school teacher and their school just last weekend presented the kids version of The Wizard of Oz. ...
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/17/14 08:27 PM
Well, you can live in Kansas, and I would love that, but your daughter wouldn't want to. The Kansas Legislature just voted to strip teachers of their due process and collective bargaining rights. Glad to be retiring.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 04/18/14 04:30 AM
Connie, so sad to hear that about the teachers. Yikes!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/19/14 10:37 AM
The Kansas Legislature and Kansas State School Board can do some really weird stuff. Of course, that's what the new reports about Kansas! Oh, and tornadoes.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 04/19/14 01:19 PM
I've lived with hurricanes and water spouts, but not real tornadoes ...
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/19/14 01:42 PM
Maybe I can make a blended soup called "Tornado Soup."
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/17/14 11:55 AM
Today I had hot and sour soup from my favorite Chinese restaurant, Tea Garden in Olathe, Ks.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/18/14 10:40 AM
Canned cream of mushroom with a little sherry and freshly ground pepper.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/19/14 06:47 AM
Broth with cheese and truffle ravioli, celery, mushrooms, parsley, and scallions. This is such a tasty soup.
Posted By: Lestie4containergardens Re: Soup du jour - 05/19/14 08:55 AM
Hi Connie,

I just love soups of all kinds.

French onion soup with Emmental toast is a firm favourite and another easy everyday soup is one I make with green split peas, onion and fresh garlic cooked and blended and then served with pre-grilled chipolata sausages and a sprinkle of parsley. I try to use home made stock but if pressed will use a store bought chicken stock cube.

As simple as this soup is, I sometimes add croutons and guests who love it, especially in winter. It's a whole meal when served with fresh crusty bread and no croutons. Yum.
Cheers now
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/19/14 10:21 PM
So true! It is delicious and great with sandwiches.
Posted By: Lestie4containergardens Re: Soup du jour - 05/20/14 02:38 AM
Hi there,

What about Mulligatawny soup?

It was a favourite of my husband and it didn't matter how often I made it, he always asked for more. In fact it became a joke in our home. When I would ask what he wanted for breakfast for a lazy Sunday ... he would say 'Ag just make some mulligatawny."

It is one of those recipes that seems to be regional, as you find many versions of it. Some add chicken pieces, others use lentils and not rice, yet others add chillies and serve it with cashew nuts.

What ever a person does is great, Mulligatawny soup makes a warming and fine meal.

Cheers now
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/20/14 06:53 AM
Sounds like your husband had good taste in soup.
Posted By: Lestie4containergardens Re: Soup du jour - 05/20/14 07:18 AM
...best thing is he loved the cook!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/21/14 07:55 AM
That is a wonderful thing!
Posted By: Lestie4containergardens Re: Soup du jour - 05/21/14 10:38 AM
Hello there,

Let's have some minestrone tonight?

I think I am going to ...

Cheers now
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/22/14 07:58 AM
I have a lovely recipe that makes a canning kettle full of minnestrone. Maybe I'll find it an put it into an article.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/25/14 10:07 PM
In an ironic life twist, today I had cold, hot and sour soup!
The electricity went out at work and there was no way to heat the soup.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/28/14 08:42 AM
Spinach, celery, scallions, and wontons in chicken broth with egg.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/31/14 10:15 AM
Turkey chili with pinto beans.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/03/14 07:27 PM
I'm having some of my "value added" soup. It's a can of chicken noodle soup with carrots, celery, onions, cilantro and tiny shrimp added. It's tasty and relatively healthy...if you don't count the sodium!

The veggies are cooked al dente before the soup is poured in. Then, I add the frozen shrimp to cool the whole thing down from boiling. It takes 10 minutes!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/03/14 07:29 PM
Snow peas and mushrooms would be good with this. So would baby corn.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/18/14 09:42 AM
Chicken noodle soup with greens, herbs, and shrimp.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/18/14 09:43 AM
This is a good way to use older salad greens. It gives a fresh taste to the soup.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/24/14 10:16 AM
Chicken noodle soup with greens, herbs, shrimp, fresh sweet corn kernels, celery, carrots, and baby squash slices. Top it off with dried seaweed.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/27/14 01:28 AM
Chicken broth with mushrooms and spinach with cheese tortellini.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 07/01/14 09:33 AM
Chicken noodle soup with tofu, celery, peppers, onions, and egg.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 07/03/14 09:51 AM
Chicken broth, seasoned salt, pepper, bay leaf, celery, onions, carrots, squash, bell peppers, green beans, potato chunks, and V-8. It's a light and lovely Chicken Vegetable Soup.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 07/15/14 01:24 PM
Mushrooms and celery cooked in butter and Worcestershire sauce with marjoram, then simmered in broth with quinoa and topped with chopped scallions and fresh parsley.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 07/18/14 09:36 AM
Broth, browned onions, celery, Jack's Special Salsa, and garbanzo or black beans, with southwestern spices and all of this sprinkled with chopped cilantro.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 07/22/14 10:31 AM
Last night when I came home from work, I was hot, tired and somewhat dehydrated. I grabbed a can of Chicken Noodle Soup and added shredded romaine, peppers, onions, and squash. In just a few minutes, I had a satisfying meal with enough salt to replace the salt that I had sweated out.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 08/18/14 08:14 PM
Cream of mushroom soup with a spoonful of sherry, Kerrygold butter, and freshly ground pepper.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/04/14 11:13 AM
Bean soup with 4 different beans, seasonings, and veggies.

pinto-great northern-red kidney-black beans
celery-carrots-onions
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/12/14 08:08 AM
Chicken broth, sausage, onions, spicy canned tomatoes, beans, berebere seasoning, and brown rice.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/15/14 08:02 AM
Lentils, onions, celery, carrots, spices, tomatoes, and sausage. That's breakfast!
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 09/15/14 10:16 AM
split pea with potatoes, carrots, celery and curry spices - yum!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/22/14 09:49 PM
Beef stew made with rosemary, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, and beef chunks with a thick gravy.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/22/14 09:50 PM
Beef stew made with rosemary, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, and beef chunks with a thick gravy.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/23/14 08:46 AM
Beans, onions, garlic, and rice with assorted peppers cooked into a delicious soup eaten with grilled cheese tortillas. That's where you put cheese between two corn tortillas and grill both sides.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/01/14 09:18 AM
Chicken noodle with celery, onions, peppers, carrots, and kluski noodles.

Make your broth by boiling the bones and skin of a rotisserie chicken with veggies and spices. Boiling two chickens is even better for a delicious broth.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/01/14 09:18 AM
Chicken noodle with celery, onions, peppers, carrots, and kluski noodles.

Make your broth by boiling the bones and skin of a rotisserie chicken with veggies and spices. Boiling two chickens is even better for a delicious broth.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/08/14 09:12 AM
Tomatoes, okra, corn, sausage, beans, and rice. Serve it with a cheese sandwich on artisan bread.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/08/14 09:13 AM
Curry spiced squash soup.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/09/14 11:15 AM
Two Can Soup (Nope, not the bird! Just two cans!)

1 can Margaret Holmes Tomatoes, Okra, and Corn
1 can Chicken and Rice Soup (ALDI's is best, if you can get it.)

Pour the contents of both cans in a saucepan. Add one cup of water, one teaspoon of dried, minced onion, and Old Bay Seasoning to taste. I'd start with a teaspoon of the seasoning. Heat it up. If you are using it for a main dish, add a bit of chicken sausage and some tiny shrimp.

This one works when you are so hungry that you could eat the fridge, with or without mayo!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 11/13/14 11:30 PM
It's cold in Kansas and we need soup! Yummy, fresh soup!

Potato mixed with spinach artichoke dip, cooked broccoli, sharp cheddar cheese, and whole milk. Microwave the whole thing and enjoy it with a pastrami sandwich.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 11/14/14 02:02 PM
Chicken and rice soup with celery, carrots, and onion.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 11/18/14 08:57 AM
Chicken broth, chicken, orzo, celery, onion, mushrooms, carrots, and parsley.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 11/22/14 09:36 AM
Chicken and rice with veggies and chicken potstickers.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/09/14 08:48 AM
Spicy sausage chili with pinto and black beans.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/09/14 09:15 AM
Blended lentil soup with lentils, carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes, and curry spices.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/10/14 09:41 AM
lobster bisque
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/17/14 10:25 AM
White bean, sausage, onion, carrot, and celery with seasoned salt and pepper.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/27/14 10:53 AM
Spicy Broccoli Cheese Soup
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 12/27/14 11:00 AM
Today we were due for snow, but it was a total washout! Anyway, it was cold enough at 32F. to be a soup day. I used leftover stir-fry veg and broken up spaghetti pasta seasoned with curry powder, simmered for 10 minutes - it was delicious!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/27/14 11:20 AM
Sounds souper, Susan! I had my broccoli cheese soup for breakfast. Now, I am having leftover pie.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/28/14 12:12 AM
Pinto bean soup with onion, celery, peppers, and carrots.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/29/14 04:04 PM
Lobster and shrimp bisque
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/05/15 08:44 AM
Chicken noodle with an egg drizzled into the hot soup. Add your favorite veggies.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/09/15 08:45 AM
Chicken vegetable soup with chicken stock, chicken bites, celery, onion, carrots, summer squash, tomatoes, quinoa, and barley with seasoned salt and pepper.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/15/15 12:04 PM
Broth, celery, rice, seaweed, and tiny shrimp with teriyaki seasoning.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/02/15 07:50 PM
It's a cold day here! Just the sort of day when a bowl of hot and sour soup hits the spot. My son bought me a huge bowl of it. Yummy stuff from our local Chinese restaurant, The Tea Garden. If you are ever in the Kansas City area, you must try it out. It's in a strip mall, and doesn't look like much from the street, but it is lovely.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/04/15 11:10 PM
Turkey broth with barley, carrots, celery, onion, red bell pepper, and turkey.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/11/15 12:59 AM
We have been enjoying a simple Great Northern bean soup flavored with onion, celery, a tiny bit of bacon fat, jalapeno vinegar, salt and pepper.
Posted By: Lestie4containergardens Re: Soup du jour - 03/11/15 01:35 AM

Hi Connie,

I note above that you add a splash of jalapeno vinegar. It reminds me of something I learnt from someone who was housesitting - they would put a whole chillie into bottle of medium cream sherry, leave it for a hot as they wanted the sherry to become (two weeks is my choice) then removed the chillie and used the sherry to spice up soups.

I do it and find it adds that extra taste dimension that is not easy to describe but is so delicious.

I love soup and sarmies! I think a day without one or either is a sad one!

Cheers now
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/11/15 08:09 AM
That's a great idea Lestie! I buy pickled jalapenos at our local ALDI store. I use the brine from them for all kinds of things from salad dressing to putting into my beer and tomato juice.
Posted By: Dreams-Chi Re: Soup du jour - 03/11/15 10:08 AM
Mmm. Both of you have some yummy ideas. I love pickled jalapenos and the jalapeno cream sherry sounds amazing.

Have you made candied jalapenos yet with your sliced pickled jalapenos, Connie? You add sugar to the jar (a lot, depending on size of jar) and let the sliced jalapenos re-pickle for a week. It does use a lot of sugar much like making a jelly.

These are terrific on some cream cheese and crackers or used as a sandwich spread.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 03/11/15 11:22 AM
Today I made split pea and barley soup, seasoned with chopped celery and carrots, caraway seeds, dill, chives, and curry powder, salt and pepper and garlic powder. Yum!
Posted By: Dreams-Chi Re: Soup du jour - 03/11/15 11:43 AM
Mmm. Both of you have some yummy ideas. I love pickled jalapenos and the jalapeno cream sherry sounds amazing.

Have you made candied jalapenos yet with your sliced pickled jalapenos, Connie? You add sugar to the jar (a lot, depending on size of jar) and let the sliced jalapenos re-pickle for a week. It does use a lot of sugar much like making a jelly.

These are terrific on some cream cheese and crackers or used as a sandwich spread.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/12/15 09:00 AM
That sounds wonderful! I had some more of my Northern Bean soup. I added a little chopped sausage to it.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/22/15 12:35 AM
Yum Tom Soup-Spicy broth with lime and lemongrass, mushrooms, tomatoes, cilantro, and pork slices.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 03/22/15 07:06 AM
Just finished cream of mushroom with celery and corn niblets - lovely and warming ...
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/22/15 07:53 PM
I was going to cook some crimini mushrooms in butter and incorporate them into some canned soup, but I used them in a topping on some ravioli, instead. Butter, olive oil, mushrooms, tarragon, chives, parsley sauteed together and spooned over Dungeness crab ravioli. Yum! I did have a sandwich for breakfast!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/26/15 11:44 PM
Made a delicious vegan curried carrot soup.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 03/27/15 06:19 AM
leftover baked cannelloni beans made into soup with carrots and celery in a ketchup base - delish!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/28/15 01:45 AM
Mmmmmm!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/09/15 11:07 PM
Vegetable beef soup make with roast beef leftovers.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/10/15 08:15 AM
I used the broth from the slow cooker roast beef, added mixed veggies, some onion and potato, and a can of V8. It's very tasty soup.
Posted By: Sheryl T Re: Soup du jour - 04/10/15 10:50 AM
I'll have to try that. Sounds luscious!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/12/15 01:30 AM
Lentils, celery, carrots, onion, tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. This is a hearty soup that goes well with any number of sandwiches.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/28/15 10:21 AM
Broth, celery, peppers, onions, yellow squash, and eggy dumplings.
(Eggy dumplings are made with baking mix, Greek yogurt, and beaten egg.) This is a hearty breakfast.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/06/15 01:21 AM
Quick and easy! Broth, V-8, onion, celery, organic mixed vegetables, Lawry's seasoned salt, pepper, and a bay leaf. Simmer until the veggies suit your taste and enjoy this with a toasted cheese sandwich.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/09/15 12:52 AM
We made the veggie soup last night. I added some little hamburger chunks. It was yummy with a salad. Today, I had another bowl with a pretzel roll. Don't you just love those pretzel rolls?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/13/15 12:20 AM
Cream of mushroom soup with parsley, chives, and langostino bites.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/16/15 11:56 PM
Cream of mushroom soup with crimini mushrooms sauteed with butter, fresh tarragon, and sherry.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 05/17/15 02:58 AM
Connie, I've never had a pretzel roll but sounds interesting!

Today I'm going to make split pea soup for dinner. Split peas, a small amount of barley, chopped celery, chopped carrots, garlic, curry powder, cumin powder, salt, pepper.

I edited this to say that barley is my favorite grain ...
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/17/15 10:37 AM
I also love barley. I am going to make a mushroom and barley soup recipe, one of these days. I also love split pea, and yours sounds especially delicious!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/17/15 10:39 AM
Pretzel roll dough is boiled like pretzels, before it is baked. They are small, slider sized, and dense. The flavor is a bit like a soft pretzel. They have an appealing dark brown color.

Here is a recipe link:
Pretzel Roll Recipe
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 05/17/15 01:00 PM
Connie, thanks for the link to the pretzel bread!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/17/15 02:40 PM
Susan, the forum feed shows that you posted at 6am (crazy the way that they time it) and when I click your post, it goes to daisybun's old post. What gives? I can't figure this out.

I enjoy your posts and don't want to miss one!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/21/15 11:36 PM
Chicken, rice, mixed vegetables, and broth.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/15/15 10:36 AM
Creamy asparagus and Crimini mushroom soup.
Posted By: Lestie4containergardens Re: Soup du jour - 06/15/15 01:39 PM
Hello there Soupers,

Here is a charming idea I came across in the newspaper recently!

PEA CAPPUCHINO (Serves 4-6)

Chop one medium onion finely and fry in 2Tbps of butter in a saucepan (with lid) till soft and browned. Peel and thinly slice one potato and add together with 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock. Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Add 300g frozen green peas, season with salt and pepper to taste, bring back to the boil and simmer till peas are just soft but still brightly coloured - around 5 minutes. Take the mix off the heat, allow to cool a bit then puree/blend. Pass through a sieve if you want to then return to the pan to heat through. If you need to add water or stock do so if it is too thick, but you don't want it to be too runny either. Meanwhile, lightly whip 1/2 cup of fresh cream.

To serve - Pour the mixture into heated coffee cups and top with a layer of cream and a grinding of black pepper.

Wait for the smiles.

Cheers
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/16/15 12:10 PM
Sounds lovely, Lestie! No grasshopper garnish?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/25/15 09:14 AM
Beef stew for breakfast! I took a chuck roast and slow cooked it. Then, I pulled it out of the slow cooker and put it in the fridge to cool. I added thickener to the juices, after pulling a lot of grease off the broth. I use a high quality paper towel and place it on top to soak up the grease. Discard the towel where your dog can't get it! (Learned that one the hard way!) I added my stew veggies and cooked them in the thickened broth until they were fork tender. Then, I added frozen mixed veggies and turned the heat off. The veggies cooked, and they helped cool the stew down. Finally, I chopped the roast up into bite sized pieces and added them. Yummy stew! There were also herbs and spices, but you knew that already!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/25/15 09:15 AM
The breakfast stew was leftovers from the other day. Makes a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I like cream cheese based pinwheels with this.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 06/27/15 08:21 PM
Navy bean soup topped with catsup and served with an open-face grilled corn tortilla with cheese.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 07/05/15 01:22 AM
Chili made with black beans, organic ground beef, spices, and Jack's Special Salsa. This is our favorite way to use the salsa when it is getting just a tad old!

We served the chili with cheese quesadillas.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 07/11/15 01:04 AM
Mushrooms, celery, peppers, onions, and chicken in chicken broth with little dumplings. This is good with pinwheels or vegetable and cream cheese finger sandwiches. It's a hearty soup for a dainty sandwich!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 08/27/15 10:45 PM
Tomato soup made with milk and with cooked mixed brown and wild rice.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 08/28/15 09:31 AM
Broth with refried rice and seaweed. Add chicken or shrimp if you are not vegetarian.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 08/30/15 10:23 PM
Egg drop soup with seaweed and wontons.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 08/31/15 11:40 PM
Seafood, asparagus, baby corn, and seaweed in a broth with clouds of egg.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/06/15 09:46 AM
Gumbo with smoked chicken, sausage, and tiny shrimp with a brown rice blend.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/11/15 12:48 AM
Cream of mushroom with toasted seaweed and tiny shrimp.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/09/15 10:02 AM
Navy beans, celery, onions, carrots, diced ham, sliced garlic turkey sausage.

I poured mine over some crunched up, slightly stale, Fritos.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Soup du jour - 10/10/15 07:41 AM
On days when I am in a pinch and don't have time for a homemade soup or when I just want something fast, I turn to my dry soup mixes from Alessi that I find in my grocery store in the canned soup section. They only take 12 minutes to make and they have lentil, neopolitan bean, tuscan white bean, split pea, mushroom, etc. I usually have several packets on hand but I never eat them as they are . I ramp them up with fresh veggies, greens, and/or rinsed canned beans right at the end of cooking time along with some olive oil. These additions really thicken the soup, and I often top my bowl off with freshly grated parmesan cheese as well.

My last creation was the neopolitan bean soup with added cannelini beans and sauteed kale at the end. So hearty and delicious.

I've done the tuscan white bean soup with chopped tomatoes and cannelini beans at the end, or a combo of cannelini beans with spinach.

The mushroom one is hard to find, but when I can get it I ramp it up with fresh sauteed mushrooms in olive oil with salt and pepper. The result is soup that tastes like restaurant quality.

These are my go to soups when I want something hearty and fast. They have great taste that is far superior to canned soup. I always have canned beans and some fresh veggies handy. Even frozen veggies like broccoli florets work well and taste good in these soups, especially in the tuscan white bean soup.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/10/15 09:59 AM
I've never tried those mixes, now I'll be on the lookout for them. You know good food, and I always prize your suggestions.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/20/15 02:27 PM
Navy bean soup with ham shanks, colorful bell peppers, sweet onion, yellow and zucchini squash.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 11/13/15 01:22 AM
Pumpkin soups are tasty this time of year. I like to use other veggies and fruits in them. Here are some good recipes from the Sandwiches Site.

Mini Pumpkin Soup Recipe

I also love a good carrot soup. Here's one for Meatless Monday.

Vegan Spiced Carrot Soup Recipe
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 11/14/15 12:20 PM
Chili is tasty for those cold days. Make it with ground meat or substitute the meat with lentils. It's good either way. Be sure to put a bunch of red beans in there.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 11/28/15 01:03 AM
Creamy soup with carrots, onions, celery, turkey chunks, white and wild rice.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/06/15 10:47 PM
Loaded potato soup with potatoes, celery, onions, milk, cheese, sour cream, chives, and bacon bits.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/09/15 03:18 PM
Soup made from celery, onions, carrot bits, rice, chicken broth, heated to boiling and poured over 4% milk fat small curd cottage cheese.

I know it sounds nasty, but it is soooo good and a real comfort food without loads of calories.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 12/31/15 11:24 AM
Turnip soup sounds strange, but it is delicious. Years ago, I found a recipe in the Kansas City Star. I made it for a dinner on New Year's Eve. It was a hit!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/05/16 12:15 AM
I had some left over Rotel dip, so I made it into spicy cheese and corn chowder.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/09/16 11:46 PM
I made a lovely veggie soup this week. I used turkey broth and finely chopped veggies. Carrots, onions, celery, summer squash, zucchini, and mixed peppers were the veggies. Then, I added V-8 to the broth. Seasoned salt, garlic, and pepper were the seasonings, but I didn't have a bay leaf.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/13/16 11:30 AM
White chili is delicious. Process rotisserie chicken for the meat. It's already cooked and seasoned.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/13/16 03:41 PM
White bean soup with hot dog medallions.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/17/16 01:02 AM
I made a nice soup out of chicken, sausage, onions, peppers, squash, and Jack's Special Salsa for the tomato base. It was delish with a dollop of sour cream on top!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/18/16 02:49 PM
Bone broth, chicken chunks, celery, onions, and carrots with Kluski noodles.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/25/16 08:29 PM
Chili and beans with an open-face sandwich on sourdough flatbread.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/19/16 07:12 AM
Chicken broth with finely chopped spring greens, celery, onion, carrots, ginger, garlic, mixed vegetables and tiny shrimp.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/28/16 05:55 AM
Chicken noodle with mixed veggies and egg threads.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/18/16 04:19 AM
Loaded potato soup with bacon bits, chopped chives, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/27/16 06:16 PM
Finely chopped celery, onion, peppers, carrots, and potatoes in a creamy tomato broth. This is a nice vegetarian soup to serve with toasty sandwiches.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/27/16 06:17 PM
Beef broth with ground beef, celery, onions, peppers, mushrooms and noodles seasoned with salt, pepper, and rosemary.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/24/16 02:46 AM
Basmati rice, spices, garlic, ginger, pepper, onion, celery, tomatoes with chiles, chicken chunks, sausage, and tiny shrimp with chicken broth enriched with V-8.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/28/16 09:48 PM
Hamburger Stew

Hamburger, onions, celery, carrots, peppers, potatoes, peas, green beans, corn, broth, bay leaves, seasoned salt, and bread crumbs for thickening.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 04/28/16 09:54 PM
Hamburger Stew 2

Hamburger, onions, celery, yellow pepper, potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas, corn, yellow squash, broth, bay leaves, pepper, seasoned salt, and bread crumbs to thicken the broth.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/04/16 02:57 PM
Broth, celery, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and dumplings made with Matzo meal or dried bread crumbs.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/05/16 03:01 PM
I have a great recipe for this one! Happy Cinco de Mayo.

Spicy Cheesy Veggie Chowder Recipe
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 05/16/16 12:54 AM
Chicken noodle soup with an egg dropped into it and chopped spring greens and spinach.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 07/24/16 01:35 AM
Broth with mushrooms, garlic, onion, celery, and crystal (bean thread) noodles.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/06/16 11:31 PM
Chicken broth, celery, red onion, sliced okra, dumplings, and small cooked shrimp.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/17/16 12:34 AM
Chicken broth with chopped chicken, onion flakes, celery leaves, mushrooms, rice, seasoned salt, and truffle salt.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/19/16 09:29 PM
I fixed this soup as a soft food soup for my husband. I just cooked the meat for an hour before adding the veggies. Then, I poured the broth in and cooked it for another hour. I added the cooked rice after I turned the stove off.

Hamburger soft soup made with low-fat ground beef, red onions, celery, carrots, peeled green bell pepper, garlic salt, seasoned salt, and beef bone broth. Cook it to your desired softness, then add cooked white rice.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/22/16 11:09 PM
Chicken broth, chicken, celery, onions, parsley, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, and rice.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 09/29/16 10:17 PM
Blended lentil vegetable soup with Berbere seasoning.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Soup du jour - 09/30/16 04:13 AM
For supper - white bean and vegetable soup seasoned with cumin powder - it was reminiscent of refried beans and we both thought it was delicious!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/02/16 11:04 PM
Sounds wonderful. Tomorrow, we are having a pinto bean soup.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 10/05/16 10:07 PM
Broth from beef bones, onions, carrots, peppers, celery, peppercorns, and turmeric.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 11/07/16 11:53 PM
Broth, beef chunks, barley, turnip, celery, carrots, and onions.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/30/17 09:56 PM
When I want something light to go with a tiny sandwich, I pull out a can of chicken noodle soup. I cut onion, celery, mushrooms, and some spring greens and put them in the pan with the soup. Then, I add a can and a half of water. I cook it until the veggies are done, then I put half of the soup into a bowl. I throw a handful of small cooked shrimp into the bowl and let it stand for a couple of minutes. The shrimp thaw and release their juices into the broth. It is simple, low cal, low carb, and goes well with a simple quesadilla.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 01/30/17 09:57 PM
When I want something light to go with a tiny sandwich, I pull out a can of chicken noodle soup. I cut onion, celery, mushrooms, and some spring greens and put them in the pan with the soup. Then, I add a can and a half of water. I cook it until the veggies are done, then I put half of the soup into a bowl. I throw a handful of small cooked shrimp into the bowl and let it stand for a couple of minutes. The shrimp thaw and release their juices into the broth. It is simple, low cal, low carb, and goes well with a simple quesadilla.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/04/17 12:47 PM
What soup are you enjoying on this winter day?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/04/17 05:58 PM
We are having a lovely stew. We had a fabulous roast and some gravy left over. I put it in the freezer for a couple of months, and now it is time to turn it into stew. Stew is good with a veggie wrap or grilled cheese. Quesadillas work well, too!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 02/20/17 08:33 PM
I read a recent article by Karen Hancock about Jambalaya Soup. Today, I made my version of "Everything but the kitchen sink almost Jambalaya Soup." It is yummy.

Start with homemade chicken broth made by boiling the carcass of a rotisserie chicken. Enrich that broth with a fat old spoonful of Better than Boullion-chicken flavor. Add equal amounts of roughly chopped celery, bell pepper, onion, and zucchini. Cook it until the veggies start to get tender, then add a can of stewed tomatoes. I cut the tomatoes into smaller pieces. Add a half a cup of small ham pieces and a chopped up cooked sausage pattie. Add a half cup of frozen corn. Cook until the veggies are very tender and the corn is still crisp. Add a can of drained and rinsed black beans, a cup of diced rotisserie chicken, a cup of cooked rice or cooked orzo, and seasonings to taste. I used some Old Bay Seasoning and Berbere seasoning to give it a little zing.
Posted By: Lestie4containergardens Re: Soup du jour - 02/21/17 07:38 AM
Hi Connie,

Today suddenly the weather turned rainy, very wet and cooler than it's been for weeks here in Johannesburg, so it is an obvious day to get out the soup pot. I know you have a fine Celery soup recipe that you have written about elsewhere but this one is simpler using up ingredients I had to hand.

I always have dried split peas in the pantry, to which I added a whole bunch of celery, a fat onion, a fat potato, a clove of giant garlic, and parsley. All just simmered for about 90 minutes. I then blended it all and added salt and white pepper to taste. Just before serving I added diced smoked ham chunks, a swirl of whipping cream and some sprinkled fresh parsley. I served with some hot buttery Portuguese rolls (iniquitous I know this war between taste buds and waistline!)

We’ve just eaten – ‘lekker’ as they say here! It turned out very moreish so I am pleased for today being a soup-weather day.

Cheers
Posted By: Lestie4containergardens Re: Soup du jour - 02/21/17 11:27 AM
Hi Connie,

By the way do you have any recipes for cold summer fruit soups? It makes sense that there can't be too much to making them, but you may know a trick or two to pass on. Watermelon? Kiwi Fruit? Strawberry? I can't imagine banana soup can you? Smile now.

Thanks

Cheers
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/01/17 08:42 PM
No Lestie, I don't have any cold soups. Do you? I always love to hear your ideas.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Soup du jour - 03/01/17 08:46 PM
Tonight we are having spinach soup. Saute scallions and mushroom pieces in a little butter, and then dump half a can of spinach in with half a cup of water. Add a bit of cooking sherry and cook for a little while. Then, add half a can of mushroom soup and some cream cheese, just a dab. Mix it in while simmering. Add some evaporated milk and white pepper. Wow! This is good with turkey sandwiches.

Can you tell that I make this recipe to use up dibs and dabs of leftover canned goods? It is yummy!
© BellaOnline Forums