BellaOnline
Do you suffer over what to do with Thanksgiving leftovers? They are great the first day or two after Thanksgiving, but a bit boring after that! Turn them into marvelous sandwiches. This article can help:

Thanksgiving Sandwich Ideas for Turkey and Ham
If you have great ideas for Thanksgiving sandwiches that use leftovers, will you let us know?
I'm having a grilled ham and cheese for breakfast. Sourdough bread makes great grilled sandwiches.

You don't have to save your sandwiches for lunch and dinner. Have one for breakfast!
Here is a recipe for mango mayo. It works well on turkey.

2 tablespoons of your favorite mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of Patek�s Sweet Mango Chutney (You may substitute your favorite mango chutney.)
1 tablespoon of Grey Poupon�s Creamy Dijon (No substitutions, please.)

Mix together and store covered in the refrigerator.
Hi Connie,

As usual I got a lot of info and pleasure reading your article on leftover sandwich combination ideas so thank you v v much.

One thing I can add that interest others is a Turkey Pate that I make on the run that works so easily and quickly and lays itself open to your imagination as to what to do with it and where to put it except of course when it comes to taking off the presentation platter!

You take what you have got by way of breast or leg meat and strip it up (no skin). Add some (pref) home made vinaigrette or mayonnaise (can be flavoured) or just plain lemon juice with a touch of olive oil. GRATE an onion or two into the mix.

Use a pestle and mortar make a paste and therefore a pate of this mix and use as a spread for all sorts of reasons or as a base to biscuit snacks for a cocktail party or eat as a pate with melba toasties or or or ...

For contrast use capers or bits of salted anchovies, or slices of pickled gherkins or slices of rosa cherry tomatoes or scattered mixed chopped herbs (parsely frills only no stalks, basil and lemon thyme is a nice mix I often go for) or thinly sliced or finely chopped hard boild egg or or or...

I have also used my turkey (and chicken) pate and mixed with egg yolk to restuff eggs for cocktail party meals etc.

As a 'butter' style base or even filling/spread for plain skinny sandwiches made on crispy or crusted white bread, it goes far and is very tasty with some extra salt and white pepper.

And the look, flavour, texture and taste is up to you, your imagination and how much of the turkey you have left over.

Easy peasy and tasty and frugal and fun!

Donchayluvitall?

Cheers

P S Now put on your shopping list or in your letters to Santa that you would like to get a pestle and mortar as a cooks present this year please. I have tried to make this pate using a blender - it doesn't work for some reason, it goes all glutinous and yucky? And if you have already got a PM in your kitchen, get another one that is bigger and made of seasoned wood - then see the difference!
Lestie, thanks for sharing! This is a wonderful idea for a lovely spread.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Thanksgiving Leftover Blues - 11/18/12 05:47 PM
Thanks for the recipe, Lestie. It sounds delicious and unique. I love duck pate, not necessarily the chicken liver type, and this turkey pate is sure to be a winner.

Wouldn't it be a fun thing to host a Thanksgiving leftover party and encourage everyone to bring a *new* and creative dish made with their leftovers? This turkey pate would be a hit!

I'm a sucker for the traditional leftover turkey sandwiches on toast. We look forward to them every year. Nothing special but oh, so good. smile
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Thanksgiving Leftover Blues - 11/18/12 05:59 PM
Here is my recipe for a Japanese Turkey Korroke. I have since improved upon it by omitting the egg and flour in the mashed potato mixture and letting it firm up in the refrigerator. This omission leaves the interior more fluffy and potato-y. The breading process holds the chilled and molded patties together well enough. Just be sure not to flip them over until the underside is browned or the patty can fall apart!

Japanese Turkey Korroke

And, there are lots and lots of ideas in the article!
Wow, Lori, that looks delicious!
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Thanksgiving Leftover Blues - 11/19/12 01:08 AM
You can use that recipe with any cooked, leftover meat such as chopped chicken, ham, ground beef, turkey.

Anyway, do you know what deviled ham spread is? It comes in a can. My father used to mix it with mayo and spread it on bread. I thought it was a little gross but that's because I didn't know it was ham. It reminded me of the canned dog food I fed to my dog.

Now, I wonder if I can make my own ham spread (the turkey pate gave me the idea!)

This may or may not be a good idea if you are health conscious, but my Hungarian aunt loves a national food icon called chicken skin cracklings (in English). The Jewish call them gribenes or schmaltz and scatter them atop pate, salads, soup or sandwiches.

Originally, they were made from duck skin, but people began to turn to chicken due to the availability.

You simply take duck or chicken skin and deep fry until crispy, like pork rinds. Or you can skillet fry them, as my aunt does, for less fat.

I think one could remove turkey skin either raw or cooked and fry them until crispy. Of course, the roasted skin won't take as long to finish off in the skillet.

I have had chicken cracklings and I adore them. The turkey cracklings would be good, too!
You are right; cracklings are not the best thing for you, speaking in a healthwise manner. However, they are just too tasty!
Leave your great ideas for turkey sandwiches here or at the Sandwich Name Game.
Take a fresh piece of white bread or an opened roll. Add a slice of turkey. Top with mashed potatoes and gravy. It's a hot turkey sandwich!
Yesterday I made a simple sandwich of sliced turkey, shaved ham, and mayo on a high fiber bread. It was so easy, yet tasty.
I had grilled turkey salad and shaved ham on rye this morning. I grilled the bread first, so that the salad would not get hot and runny.
I hope that all of the leftovers that you had were thoroughly enjoyed. What new and creative ways to use them did you find?

Feel free to share your treasures here, even if the repurposed foods did not turn out to be sandwiches!
My turkey sandwich from the leftovers was quite simple. I put mayo on both pieces of 12 grain bread, liberally sprinkled the mayo with ground black pepper, then layered on sliced dark meat turkey. I closed the sandwich and enjoyed every bite.
That does sound good!
I put enough turkey and broth in the freezer for some turkey soup. The last tiny scraps went into a quesadilla. It had a fresh flour tortilla from our local Mexican bakery. The filling was turkey, gouda, onions, cilantro, and lettuce with a tiny bit of hot chili sauce. It was grilled to a toasty brown and served with Jack's Fresh Salsa. MMMMMMMMMMMMM!
One of my students yesterday went into a rant about how he is "sick, sick, sick of turkey!" I think that says it all. I'll want some more in a few weeks. Now, not so much!
© BellaOnline Forums