BellaOnline
Panini Without a Press

What can you do if you have a craving for a Panini sandwich, but you don't have a press? You can always grill the sandwich. That works. However, what do you do if you want those sandwich fillings pressed together? This article will tell you how to make that Panini without a press!

Panini Without a Press
This one is for the Panini fans who live quiet lives of Panini induced desperation without a Panini press!

Seriously, try this carefully; use potholders on those iron handles.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Panini Without a Press - 10/13/12 01:05 PM
Great idea, but I go the simpler route using a frying pan, cover it with the cover and use a little butter. As I grill each side I press the sandwich down with a spatula. Not the same thing, but it works in a pinch for a quick, hot sandwich.
Nice method. I use this, too.

Lori wanted a press idea, and the iron skillets will definitely press!
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Panini Without a Press - 10/13/12 03:09 PM
They sure would press, and would make a better tasting sandwich too, I'd bet.

I can't use cast iron skillets on a smooth glass topped stove, but if I had another type of stove I would try it.
I love those glass topped stoves. My mother-in-law has had one for years.

Debbie, I am such a klutz that the glass would probably need to be replaced in a month. Give me a gas stove where I can spray grease all over the place toasting hot dogs!
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Panini Without a Press - 10/15/12 02:32 AM
THANK YOU CONNIE!!! I can't wait to try this tomorrow!!! I knew that grilling is an alternative but the thing about the panini press is that it squashes thicker bread like ciabatta and foccacia into flat, crunchy tops and bottoms!

I will try this and be sure to put on extra weights in the pan!
Make sure that the weights are metal--not plastic!!
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Panini Without a Press - 10/15/12 05:15 AM
Good reminder! LOL. Thanks!
Be sure to tell us about your taste treat!
Have you had time to make a Panini? Why not try it this weekend!
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Panini Without a Press - 10/18/12 04:15 PM
No, I have not, Connie. Ended up making Japanese and Italian for the past few days. I will do it this weekend. I need to get some fixings for them!

I will return and report! smile
Japanese and Italian sound good!
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Panini Without a Press - 10/22/12 03:35 AM
Ok, the weekend is over and guess what? No panini yet. frown

It was a little chilly here so I opted for Japanese--again--noodle soup (ramen). I actually saved some steak to slice and put into the panini but ended up slicing and topping the ramen with it and some green scallions.

One of the reasons I didn't do panini on Saturday is that hubby and I went to Jerry's Deli in LA and we both ate sandwiches there.

I will make panini sometime this week. My family knows my plans and they're ready, willing and able! smile
Lori, you make Panini when it feels right to you! No stress, no worries...just whenever!

I enjoyed doing the article. You enjoy the Panini whenever the craving strikes!
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Panini Without a Press - 10/22/12 04:21 AM
Oh, you are too kind--and patient! Truly, our mouths are watering for panini. I'm just sad that my summer basil plant is done for the season. There's nothing like fresh basil in a panini.

My grocery store sells living basil plants.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Panini Without a Press - 10/23/12 12:40 AM
This would make a better post in a new thread but since I'm preparing to make my first panini without a press, I'm searching for GREAT condiment spreads to use.

I looked in your condiments subject links but didn't really find anything that I have in mind. Can you come up with some yummy flavored spreads?

I would love you forever! smile

And, can you re-create the old Bob's Big Boy hamburger relish? The one made with lots of sweet pickle relish and tomato ketchup? I love that.

Gosh, I'm giving you a lot of assignments, huh? Sorry! You don't have to listen to me!
Lori, a lot of my condiments are with the sandwiches that I make them for. Mango mayo is a great one.

Whatever you use needs to be a concentrated flavor and not too juicy.
If you've tried this, be sure to tell us how your sandwiches came out! Was it an adventure?
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Panini Without a Press - 10/30/12 04:53 PM
Hey Connie! I...well...I didn't want to tell you the truth that I didn't try it yet! I fully planned to, but the family wanted German Potato Salad and after peeling all those potatoes and frying up bacon, I didn't feel like doing the panini press magic for each of our sandwiches. Lazy, eh?

So they got Black Forest ham sandwiches--unpanini-ed!

sigh.

But the paninis are on the menu, for sure!!!
The press is ready when you are! No stress, my friend...just whenever the mood strikes, then strike while the iron is hot!
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Panini Without a Press - 11/10/12 08:42 PM
I TRIED IT! I TRIED IT! FINALLY!

I'm so sorry for taking so long to try this when you put such effort and speed into responding to my request, Connie. How rude of me. frown

However, I am THRILLED with the results! I just made my hubby a panini using my cast iron skillets and a heavy pot. I also used plenty of butter and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese for a Parmesan "crust."

The filling consisted of Monterey PepperJack cheese, cotto salami, bolgona, stoneground mustard and a bit of mayo. Just a simple cold cut sandwich because that was what I had on hand. The Parmesan crust really makes it.

Anyway, pressing it like a panini made it a terrific sandwich. He said it was freaking awesome! LOL. Turned a simple cold cut sandwich into freaking awesome.

Thank you so so much, Connie! You saved me from having to buy yet a one-trick appliance--and an expensive one at that!
It's fantastic that you and your hubby loved it. I truly appreciate all of the wonderful things that you can do with a few cast iron skillets.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Panini Without a Press - 11/11/12 08:53 PM
I can't wait to make panini again. It was so crispy and delicious. I'll pick up some steak to make steak panini with some of your sandwich ideas in your latest article. smile

They are a good way to stretch steak thesedays!
© BellaOnline Forums