BellaOnline
What do you see are the differences between religion and spirituality?
I consider myself spiritual but not religious, because I do not believe in organized religion, which I think is inherently corrupt. I have my own strong, independent beliefs about the nature of god (I prefer "goddess") and the universe. These beliefs are very important to me.
l suppose I would be "religious," if I think of my beliefs as my own religion - but I dislike that term. Perhaps I associate "religion" too much with the Roman Catholicism of my youth, which I totally reject!
I agree Alicia laugh I think I see "religion" more as the organizational aspect - the rules and regulations. Whereas "spirituality" is something that comes from my heart. Christianity, Paganism, Wicca, Judaism, Islam; they all have an organizational aspect - so I think it's the "way" someone follows in their heart.

I personally know people from these religions who are very spiritual. I've also known people who seemed to just go through the motions, like it's just something they have to do, to get it over with.
I think we are all spiritual beings. To me, the difference between religion and spirituality is that in religion there is a defined construct of right/wrong, good/evil, need/desire etc. Spirituality does not have a specific base of beliefs or a foundation of what to believe. That is my take on it anyhow.
I LOVE that Sunshine, and I totally agree.

Some of the most spiritual people I've known have made claims to no formal religion laugh
I believe that spirituality is to fully embrace one's own belief system and to grow ever closer to their Supreme Being (be it God or Goddess or other). To live with guidance from and belief in this Supreme Being is spiritual.

One can be religious with no spirituality, or one can be spiritual with no particular religion -- if one can be both, that is beautiful. My religion is my own belief system. I do not attend any church. My church is in Nature, where the wind blows, and where only God can hear my prayer.
This is beautiful Phyllis laugh
I as well Alicia...Roman Catholic and it makes my head pinch as do most dogmatic and rigid belief systems.

If I had to put it into words, I see spirituality as an ocean, something that encompasses everything and supportive of all creation, the veins of life, basically.

Religion I see more as a structural map of sorts. A certain town, state, country, etc. And each one of those maps according to the people having the power and means to produce such a thing and different depending on what/whom it's bred by confused
Oooh, Elleise, I really like this analogy.

Religion is a protocal which guides us to become spiritual. But religion is temporary, and spirituality is permanent, it is eternal.
Hi, Have a look at our TV documentary that aired here on the Irish national TV station RTE 1. It's about the afterlife and our story of Craig. Spirituality is personal and real. Religion is institutional and secondary [url= http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1097871]RTE Player[/url]
Religions often have a hierarchy of initiates, with those further into the inner circle leading the rituals for the general populace; Spirituality relates to the spirit or essential essence of humanity.
Wow, you must have read my mind. I am so over the "religious" garbage I have seen and experienced in the 52 years of my life. Religion to me is a "routine" that some, not all folks follow in the name of being "good" folks, forget what they do in "secret" - spirituality, I think, has more to do with your insides. How you feel, think and cope.
My spirituality is the essence of who I am.

Religion is often too structured and demanding. I do not believe one has to go through a mediator to reach God. God is within us and we have a direct line to Him.
It is well said Barney, religion is like a box it has boundaries and ending while spirituality is purity and eternity.
Thank you for sharing link with us. I checked this link "Journey of the Dreamer Online Workshop".I must say that it was superb.
© BellaOnline Forums