BellaOnline
Posted By: Sue Early Childhood New England Patriots - 09/13/07 01:34 PM
I was just wondering what you guys think about the Patriots and the cheating scandal. Do you think all teams do it, and the Patriots just got caught. What do you think their punishment should be. I personally think that they should have to forfeit that win over the Jets.
Posted By: Cate - Home Finance Re: New England Patriots - 09/13/07 03:27 PM
As a lifelong, rabid Patriots fan, I'm feeling mixed emotions.

Every commentary I've seen notes how all football teams try to obtain the signals of the opposing team. In the words of one commentator, "Everyone speeds. Speeding is wrong and against the law. Not everyone gets caught."

On the other hand, of course it's incredibly embarrassing and low-class. I want it to stop and I want the Pats to gladly pay the price that the NFL sets for this behavior.

But...

...if they're punished, then "all the other teams" that do it should be punished, too.

...if they have to forfeit the Jets game, then the Yankees have to forfeit every game Jason Giambi played in, and so do the Giants for Barry Bonds. Where does it end?

...I think it's obvious the Pats beat the Jets fair and square, that their talent has been enough to win games, and that the stupid spying is really not necessary for them to win. Hence, the frustration for Pats fans.

I am not a big fan of Bill. He's not a warm and fuzzy guy and apparently cheating is in his blood, as he left his wife for a secretary in the Giants organization while working under Parcells.

I would like to see Bob Kraft move on to a new coach with similar talent and similar team philosophy but a much more classy personality, like Tony Dungy.

:-) Cate
Posted By: Sue Early Childhood Re: New England Patriots - 09/13/07 10:59 PM
Cate

I think we would get along really well - you are sooo smart and well spoken (I have read all of your articles since I found Bella) and a football fan! I am laughing as I read your post because I am not a big fan of the Pats - I am though a die hard Colts fan. Have been since Peyton took the QB position. I don't think the Colts would readily give Tony up. I think the reason I don't like the Pats is because of Bill. I didn't know about the cheating on his wife thing though.

Your right about the forfiet thing - I didn't think of it like that. Giving up a draft pick won't mean much though if they are one of the last teams to pick. I'm glad I'm not the commish
Posted By: Kori - Football Re: New England Patriots - 09/15/07 12:48 AM
I thought for sure it would be harsher than one pick and a fine. They probably should have lost first round picks in multiple years.
Posted By: Sue Early Childhood Re: New England Patriots - 09/15/07 06:50 PM
I agree - I thought it would be harsher. Hopefully though all teams will heed the warning. You know once one team gets caught they'll be watching everyone closely.
© BellaOnline Forums