BellaOnline
Posted By: Sheree-Allergies Allergic to cats - 06/13/07 02:10 AM
My daughter and her boyfriend just left after spending the weekend. My daughter's boyfriend is allergic to cats. We have two. He didn't seem to have any symptoms while he was here. My daughter loves cats. Her boyfriend doesn't care for them because he associates them with allergy problems. Does anyone know if an individual can become immune to cats if they are exposed over a period of time?
Posted By: Lynn_B Re: Allergic to cats - 06/13/07 02:56 AM
Hmm, no. Most people I know become more sensitive with exposure, not less. But, allergy meds help a great deal (I'm allergic and we have 2 cats in the house) as do products that wash away dander. Unless he's so allergic that he's at the point of having his breathing cutoff or his face swelling up, its likely he could manage having cats around--if he really wanted to.
Posted By: Ginich Re: Allergic to cats - 06/13/07 03:22 AM
Hi-Two out of my three sons-in-law are allergic to my cats-seriously allergic. Neither was raised with animals as a child. They take allegy meds before they come to visit, they cannot stay overnight and can barely stay out on my screened lanai for more than an hour or so. I have 3 Hepa air filters running in addition to the A/C. I love them dearly but I had the cats before I had them plus, at the moment, all of my children live out of state. So I go to visit and stay with them and they stay in a hotel and we go out to eat when they come to visit me. I hope by being exposed to pets, at an early age,my grandchildren do not develop any allergies.

My third son-in-law also has cat allergies but he takes meds and has lived with my daughter, their child, and 2 cats for the last 7 yrs. They can also stay with me when they visit.
Posted By: Sheree-Allergies Re: Allergic to cats - 06/14/07 08:37 PM
Thanks. I'll send this information on to my daughter to share with her boyfriend.
Posted By: Sheree-Allergies Re: Allergic to cats - 06/14/07 08:38 PM
I agree. I wouldn't give my cats either. I appreciate your information.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Allergic to cats - 07/10/15 11:33 AM
I Also agree I know i'm allergic to my cat Asia but he's staying here right by my side Hoping I can build up an immunity to him
© BellaOnline Forums