BellaOnline
Posted By: toRTur3d cockatiel planning... i need your HELP! - 12/22/06 08:12 PM
hey...! i was planning to buy a pair of cockatiels... how could i know if i really get a real pair...?
Posted By: phillip Re: cockatiel planning... i need your HELP! - 12/23/06 12:20 AM
um i guess that you could ask the person to show proof to you that the pair have raised a succesfull clutch, show you DNA testing proving that they are a infact male and female.

a breeder told me in our local area to sex a cockatiel to look undernearth there tail and if the stripes are going across it is a female and stragith down a male, this method has worked for him but i dont no about the birds you are buying.

sorry i wasnt much help.
Posted By: Mavis Re: cockatiel planning... i need your HELP! - 12/23/06 02:37 AM
Well - a pair is really just 2 birds. A bonded pair is 2 birds who are bonded and may or may not be of opposite sex. If you are wanting a breeding pair, you should ask if they are proven (ie - have already had babies). You have to be careful how you ask questions and listen closely to the answers.

On normal coloured tiels, you can look for the lines under the tail - females have lines running across. You can see these lines in lutinos as well, but they are very, very faint. If the birds are pied, you can not count on this method of sexing them.
Posted By: toRTur3d Re: cockatiel planning... i need your HELP! - 01/14/07 06:33 AM
ok... thanks for the advices guys... any other advices would be appreciated...
© BellaOnline Forums