BellaOnline
What is your favorite bird? If you don't have a bird yet and could choose any bird, what bird would you choose and also why would you make that choice?
Posted By: MGSpikers Re: Your favorite companion bird and why? - 09/06/12 04:16 AM
I have cared for finches for some 22 years now - mostly Zebra finches, but also society finches, owl finches, and spice finches. I cannot work in my study without the chirps of the females and the songs of the males (which they learn from their elders). The beautiful songs of our oldest finch, Winston, Jr., was learned from his Dad and which he has now taught to the two younger males that live here. One rather strange thing I do is to open one of the four cages early each evening to let the birds fly around my study (600 square feet). When I retire and turn out the lights, they invariably fly back into their cages and nests. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear in Divide, Colorado USA
Now I know the secret to you always having a beautiful song in your heart, hedgehogs AND finches! I never realized their songs were passed from generations. To this day I learn something more about the amazing world of animals daily or more often. They never stop amazing me. They will always make me smile!
Posted By: MGSpikers Re: Your favorite companion bird and why? - 09/07/12 05:02 AM
Oh, indeed! Birds, as I have been taught, engage in significant imitative behavior (as we humans do). Old Winston, Sr. had a beautiful set of songs he sang and his four sons picked up on that, and all of them sounded like the old man. They carried on when Winston died, and Winston, Jr., the last surviving son apparently taught the songs to the two other younger male finches here. They came in with fairly squawky incomplete songs, but picked up on the melodies of Winston, Jr.. Sort of like a young tenor studying under Luciano Pavarotti. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear
The beautify of that story is comparative to a double rainbow. I have always stood firm that birds were capable of communication through human language and didn't mimic. Through my stubbornness it didn't occur to me that even we mimic to learn and then communicate. I enjoyed you story about Winston and the birds - a lot of food for thought. You always seem to know the heart of the animal.
Posted By: Calla Re: Your favorite companion bird and why? - 09/07/12 03:30 PM
I can honestly say I have never heard of this behavior. So I am just going to answer the original question.

I love my sun conures they are sweet, silly and gentle birds. Very loving. But, if we are dreaming and I would not trade in my conures I'd have to say the hyacinth macaw. They are so majestic, beautiful, seemingly gentle, intelligent...they are mesmerizing.
Posted By: MGSpikers Re: Your favorite companion bird and why? - 09/08/12 12:18 AM
I have a unique position here in that my "work" is now teaching online college courses from my study, where the finches live. Of the eight of them, I readily recognize their chirps (the 4 females) and songs (the 3 males) and demanding chorus (the baby). We have not had babies here since 2004, when Snowball and Winston's clutch of six were born. But it has been a privilege to listen to their communications each day. Although they are wild birds, when I let them loose they tend to hang around me at my desk and I am convinced they are looking at what I am typing on the computer. There are only two birds flying around the study at one time (or one female who lives alone). Though the new parents have not been released since the birth of the baby - they need to tend to their parently duties. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear
Posted By: skunkmom Re: Your favorite companion bird and why? - 09/09/12 04:56 PM
Z. G. Standing Bear, It sounds like you have a remarkable life. It would be lovely to do something you enjoy doing with your birds surrounding you. Such beauty.
I think it sounds like a wonderful way to have a less stressful environment to think. We have a lot of mature trees and a big yard with a whole lot of different birds and animals. Of course, I feed everyone to encourage them to stick around. I keep my windows open right next to my desk. I love listening and gazing out of the window.
Posted By: MGSpikers Re: Your favorite companion bird and why? - 09/10/12 02:48 AM
Well, I'm an old man (71 years) and a disabled Vietnam combat veteran, yet I did devote 33 years to the Army (so I am not complaining). We (my wife and I) live at 9,000 feet elevation, halfway up Pikes Peak overlooking a small lake and so the wildlife is abundant, ducks, geese, hawks, eagles, exactly two blue herons, bears, two mountain lions, foxes, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, mule deer, elk, and a couple of pelicans (??). In fact, on our neighborhood web site at www.myspringvalley.org and can see a bear ambling across my front yard and a bald eagle perched on our flagpole. The climate is usually pleasant and dry - and we have almost no flying insects.
I lived up in Northern MN in a little house overlooking a lake. My land was attached to the Chippewa National Forest. The first day I spent there I saw a Bald Eagle fly overhead and land in a white pine tree right next to the house. It was amazing living there. My children and I walked through the forest constantly. We saw all kinds of animals including bear and cubs. I remember one time walking up a dirt trail and then hearing something behind me. After we sent by, a mama bear and her cubs crossed over the path. She had waited for us to pass by. We had a mutual respect between us and the animals. I walked down into a ravine with a small lake, it was packed with foliage. I made it through and found myself in the middle of a bunch of white-tailed deer (seven or so. They aren't really a herd animal). Imagine their surprise to have a human so close!
Posted By: MGSpikers Re: Your favorite companion bird and why? - 09/12/12 01:04 AM
My wife and I love it here and our next stop is going to be the nursing home. I will try to put a few photos of the place on our web site. Virginia maintains a beautiful flower garden (in the front) and a vegetable garden (in the back). Keeping the mule deer out is a challenge so we have gates and fences all over. We have one neighborhood mountain lion, but she is not a problem to anyone but the deer, as the deer are her gourmet diet of choice - and the deer here are overpopulating. The several bears are quite mellow. There are a lot of local bird photos on our neighborhood website (www.myspringvalley.org), the the most noticeable birds (due to their size and vocalizations) are the ravens (large crows) and the lark buntings (Colorado's state bird). The ravens and the lark buntings do not socialize with one another, but don't bother eachother, either. The lark buntings that are local are large and very highly colored as these birds go - black with white and bright green feathers. In all these surroundings, I could never live in an urban or suburban area again. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear
It sounds so beautiful! We have a bird here a Grackle those little monsters chase the squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, other birds. Something is destroying Robbin eggs. Not sure if that is the grackles or not. I remember my mother talking about butcher birds but this was in CA. We had mountain lions in Northern Minnesota too. Beauitful animals!
Posted By: MGSpikers Re: Your favorite companion bird and why? - 09/13/12 04:31 AM
When I lived in South Georgia I remember some aggressive small birds that would dive upon unsuspecting dogs, cats, and humans, occasionally tearing out the eye of a dog or cat (which would be reported in the news). Fortunately, none of these aggressors live here, although the owls at night occasionally raise eerie calls and the coyotes, whan they get a chorus together can rock the rafters. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear
I WOULD love to hear a chorus between the owls and coyotes that would rock the rafters!! The most I hear near my home is Bart owls. It is a different story when we get out in the rural area camping. Then I can pick out sounds all night. Just love it!!!
Posted By: MGSpikers Re: Your favorite companion bird and why? - 09/21/12 01:24 AM
When I used to stay over at the wolf rescue, of the 40 or so wolves who lived there at the time, there were two "kapellmeisters" who would start the chorus and all 40 would chime in and let loose for five minutes or so. The coyotes here are similar except their voices are higher pitched and they tend to "yip" a lot, nowhere near as musically disciplined as the wolves. The owls are another matter here, as there are so any hoots and calls I have difficulty figuring out whoo is whoo. As far as I know, we have barred owls, long eared owls, at least two short eared owls, and a chorus of boreal owls. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear
I've had parakeets, Bourke parakeetes, a cockatiel and conures. I've been acquanted with many other parrots as well. If I had to pick a pet bird again, it might be a cockatiel.

Mostly, I think I'm too old for a large parrot that might outlive me and a cockatiel has the right temperment, is beautiful, can talk, is friendly, and may live as long as a cat.

I miss the cockatiel we used to have and was quite fond of it after we adopted it...even though she took to my husband right away. I remember the parakeet who loved her as well. He was smitten with her. It was so weird.
I think the cockatiel is pretty darn special too. Plus everything you mentioned Vi they also sing a pretty nice tune. They have such sweet personalities.

OK fine readers, what birds do you have, or what would be your favorite choice?
What would be your first choice of pet bird? Would it be a macaw, lovebird or?????
Another of my favorite birds from the parrot family would be the cockatoo. Their social needs are great, they are highly social, very sensitive, and loving birds. What are your favorites?
I also loved my macaws dearly. Their interactions with humans are so incredible. Very very intelligent! But, then again are all birds smile What are your favorites and why?
I love Snickers because he loves me. His name for me is Wheel. When I leave the room, he yells, "Wheel! Wheel!" over and over.

He's a funny and affectionate bird. When he presses the top of his head under my chin, all of my worries melt away.
My favorite companion bird was my Congo African Gray parrot. She was sweet, affectionate, and intelligent enough to interact with me.
I am crazy about all of our lovebirds. We call them the "Biter Brigade!" All of the girls are completely feisty.
I have always loved birds. I dreamed of creating a fly-through aviary in my side yard or using those special nets they have at the zoo to make my entire backyard a fly zone for bird pets!

My favorite? I don't have a favorite. They all have their special qualities. I love song birds, parrots, peach-faced lovebirds...I even had chickens who were pets not poultry!

Someday, I might erect that aviary after all.
The birds have been out on their daily romp. As I type, I look at them in their little homes (cages) that are hanging from a beam in the living room. It is not house beautiful with four large cages hanging down, but it is incredibly interesting. Having them there makes the companion birds the center of the household. I interact with them as I work. Our baby-sister-cat can sit in a chair and watch their endlessly fascinating antics.
I have to agree that all birds have their own special personalities. I have had pet chickens, ducks and geese. I use to bring my duck in at night and kept her in a pet porter. I was afraid of the coyotes killing her.
It sounds like the perfect way to keep the birds in the mainstream of family activity to help with their social needs. It would make my day go so much nicer!
© BellaOnline Forums