BellaOnline
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Horror movies and sleep - 05/25/11 10:35 PM
I'm not a big horror watcher but when I watch it's so hard for me to sleep.

We watched American Psycho in two parts the last two nights and the first night I had a terrible time sleeping but last night I slept like a baby.

Do you get desensitized to violence if you watch horrors more so this become less of an issue?
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Horror movies and sleep - 05/26/11 01:17 AM
Great question...for me, it's only if I watch when I'm home alone. If anyone else is in the house, I'm good - I pretend those scary noises are them moving around...lol...
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Horror movies and sleep - 05/27/11 06:33 PM
I don't get creeped out and think something is going to jump out of the closet or from under the bed or come into my room. I think the horror genre bothers me on a deeper level. I start thinking who was the psycho who thought this up or OMG this was based on something somebody actually did! HOLY shi* That's scary. Real people and real events are so much scarier than movies and real life is stranger than fiction. Fiction is a reflection of what goes on in our culture so that is what is truly disturbing and makes me lose sleep.
Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor Re: Horror movies and sleep - 05/29/11 10:44 PM
Well, you're right Monica, the villains n horror films are usually based on someone of reality. I'm sure the guy in American Psycho was based on someone. But I don't understand this way of thinking people have "who could've thought this up?" - some of the cruelest people have written childrens stories. You never hear of a horror writer doing anything because they're conveying all of those emotions through their artwork.

'American Psycho' is a horror film, but it's far more reality based so it's bound to distur you more than something supernatural. I don't think ppl become de-sensitized to things like that, different things effect different individuals. I hate bullying, so if I watch a movie with bullying in it, it will upset me. It depends on you as an individual and staying away from things that are going to disturb your way of thinking, I think smile
Hey Steven,

Do you have a problem falling to sleep after watching a scary movie and if not what's your secret? I also, can't watch scary movies at night, I have trouble sleeping.
Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor Re: Horror movies and sleep - 06/05/11 01:38 PM
I used to have terrible trouble if I couldn't sleep in with smene else LOL. I watched this one film 'I, Madman' - which we had to turn off and couldn't sleep all night. It's like with most things, you become de-sensitized to it.

I never watch the excorcist, cos I wouldn't be able to sleep - and when I saw the grudge I had to leave the light on - but it's kind of part of the fun of getting scared.

My suggestion would be to watch a horror film, and then as I've done with many friends who get creeped out by them, we watch a rom-com or a Disney film after so we don't go to bed with the horror still fresh in our heads. Hope this helps smile
Posted By: Lucyhale Re: Horror movies and sleep - 06/06/11 09:25 AM
Well same here after watching horror movies i never slept alone. i usually sleep with my mom or sis.
Posted By: Kdor11 Re: Horror movies and sleep - 06/06/11 04:13 PM
I definately don't sleep well after watching a 'scary' movie. I usually leave the tv on after watching something that frightens me and it helps me sleep a little easier.
© BellaOnline Forums