BellaOnline
Posted By: Modern Woman Role playing on the forums - 03/09/07 10:32 AM
Sometimes I feel all this forum posting is futile.

No body is ready to give any private detail to others.
All names are made up.
Very few people post with real names.
Countries are unknown. write whatever you want.
No knowing about male or female.
Somebody can talk as a defender of a faith or belief in such a way that all will hate that faith. Convoluted logic.

We all talk sincerely with each other. But when it comes to the crux, all of us shut up.

A big drama of make believe and sometimes a big waste of time.

I will give my precise details at least.

C.D.Mohatta
India,
Male,
Married, wife left seven years back.
Daughter married.
Two sons helping me.
In debt upto neck.
Sick with many diseases.
Blesssed by Sadguru.
Emotionally not very sound.
Mother is the main support.
Business- Internet websites. Now making good money.

I am not asking anybody to give his/her details. This thought came to me with two instances. Once when after so many months of talk, Alexendra refused to give me her address where I wanted to send her some books.
secondly because somebody recently wondered whether amedeus and texas dave are the same person?
Anyway I am very happy that engee who I know on this forum only for 15 days, sent somebody to get the books that I very much wanted her to read.
The farce will continue.
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/09/07 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: cdmohatta
Alexendra refused to give me her address where I wanted to send her some books.

I gave you a reason for that. I gave you a very good and understandable reason for that.
I have had no response from you regarding my explanation of that matter, and that's fine, it's no problem.
I would not change my policy for you or anyone else, it's a question of security and self-protection.

You of course, my friend, are free to both accept my reasons, or not, and that's up to you.

You are also free to post your full details on forum for everyone to read.
That is also up to you.

But I personally consider it foolhardy.

Particularly as by your own admission above, you have no idea to whom you are speaking due to use of pseudonyms, nor whether anyone is actually intent on deceiving you.

A simple demonstration of how open and honest you are, does not guarantee that others will be the same way with you.

"Farce" indeed....
Cdmohatta -

Maybe it is different in India, I know it is different for women than men, but it can be very dangerous to share personal information over the internet. I do use my real name, and always have, but it is a potentially huge risk. If I didn't work in a field (IT) where it tends to be professionally advantagous to do so, I probably wouldn't either. I don't believe I've ever given my home address to someone with whom my only connection is that I met them online in a public forum or email list and I'm unlikely to ever do so.

Julie

Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/10/07 04:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Alexandra
Alexendra refused to give me her address where I wanted to send her some books.

I gave you a reason for that. I gave you a very good and understandable reason for that.
I have had no response from you regarding my explanation of that matter, and that's fine, it's no problem.
I would not change my policy for you or anyone else, it's a question of security and self-protection.

You of course, my friend, are free to both accept my reasons, or not, and that's up to you.

You are also free to post your full details on forum for everyone to read.
That is also up to you.

But I personally consider it foolhardy.

Particularly as by your own admission above, you have no idea to whom you are speaking due to use of pseudonyms, nor whether anyone is actually intent on deceiving you.

A simple demonstration of how open and honest you are, does not guarantee that others will be the same way with you.

"Farce" indeed....

Alexendra, I have no issues with you.
Am I ignoring you now a days?
This was only my personal feeling so Imade the post.
I hope you understand.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/10/07 04:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Julie_MidEastCulture
Cdmohatta -

Maybe it is different in India, I know it is different for women than men, but it can be very dangerous to share personal information over the internet. I do use my real name, and always have, but it is a potentially huge risk. If I didn't work in a field (IT) where it tends to be professionally advantagous to do so, I probably wouldn't either. I don't believe I've ever given my home address to someone with whom my only connection is that I met them online in a public forum or email list and I'm unlikely to ever do so.

Julie

I realise the truth of your post.
But the people with who we share no information are the people with who spend talking for hours on the forum.
That was the crux of my post.
I hope you understand.
Posted By: babak Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/11/07 06:13 AM
it will be better I think, when our gender and age mentioned under of our name in every post.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/11/07 07:33 AM
That can all be wrong info.
Posted By: chillin Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/11/07 08:18 AM
It has been my experience in real life that people have a tendency to lie when dealing in person, since there is a lot at stake. In an environment where people feel safe, such as this, they are much more likely to be truthful, since there is really no reason to lie. As much time as we all spend on these forums, if someone is not being truthful, it will come out soon, because it is very difficult to keep up a lie for any period of time.

"Emotionally not very sound."

cdmohatta,
Thank you for sharing your personal information and your frustration. I agree this environment is limited, but it does offer opportunities not found elsewhere. Where else would it be possible for any of us to get together?

I think you are undervaluing yourself. I have read your posts on many topics (even though I did not participate in the discussions) and consider you to be one of the wisest people here and one of the most emotionally stable.

Perhaps you are judging yourself based on a standard that I do not understand. I invite you to come to America and see how crazy some of the most "successful" people really are. Maybe you will see that everyone is the same. We all suffer from time to time, and sometimes it takes a long time to recover.

You have suffered painful losses, and you react like everyone else does: you take the time you need to recover, you are surrounded by people who care for you, just like you cared for them when you were strong and they were weak, and you take steps every day to move forward. What else are you supposed to do? That is what makes you human. You can not be strong all the time, even if you are a man smile

I hope you will stay and continue to participate in the discussions. You bring a lot of value to me personally.

But the people with who we share no information are the people with who spend talking for hours on the forum.

Cdmohatta -

Even if I get to know someone really well online, they still aren't getting my home address if that is the only connection. (I'm not as picky about giving out my business address, but only for business reasons.) If we have that much in common, we probably have mutual friends or business contacts who can pass physical items or vouch for the other person. If someone isn't comfortable with that, that raises a red flag for me and I'm definately NOT going to give them my address.

People can and do lie. The most dangerous liars are often the best and most convincing. Sadly, the only way any of us can protect ourselves from those dangerous people is to be cautious around everyone. I would recommend that you both be a little more cautious yourself (we'd miss you here on the forums if something happened to you!) AND be a little more understanding of people trying to protect themselves.

Julie
Posted By: chillin Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/11/07 08:26 AM
If you need to send something in the mail, there are many ways to do that without giving perosnal information. You can only offer, you can not make anyone accept your offer. If they are willing to accept a package from you, I'm sure you can work out an arrangement acceptable to both, without putting anyone in danger. Many women live alone and take their personal safety very seriously. There are a LOT more nuts out there much more dangerous than TexasDave and his sidekick, lol!
Posted By: chillin Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/11/07 08:45 AM
What discussion in particular are you upset about? I see you spend a lot of time talking to Evangelical Christians. You are a very brave and very strong person to even go into a long discussion with them. They give me a headache, and it's not because they speak the Truth! If you can talk to them page after page, that's proof that you are VERY stable emotionally!!! Much stronger than me. And you're right, after listening to them, it's easy to see why there is so much hate. Please remember that just because they are the loudest, does not mean that they represent anyone else, only themselves. There are many more quiet people out there who find it more useful to put our energy somewhere else.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/11/07 09:32 AM
Originally Posted By: chillin
What discussion in particular are you upset about? I see you spend a lot of time talking to Evangelical Christians. You are a very brave and very strong person to even go into a long discussion with them. They give me a headache, and it's not because they speak the Truth! If you can talk to them page after page, that's proof that you are VERY stable emotionally!!! Much stronger than me. And you're right, after listening to them, it's easy to see why there is so much hate. Please remember that just because they are the loudest, does not mean that they represent anyone else, only themselves. There are many more quiet people out there who find it more useful to put our energy somewhere else.

I fully agree with you.
Posted By: chillin Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/12/07 04:27 AM
Good. I hope you feel better smile
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/12/07 04:29 AM
I am talking about our identities on a forum. Most of them are bogus.
Posted By: chillin Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/14/07 02:19 AM
Most identities in real life are bogus too smile
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Role playing on the forums - 03/14/07 05:11 AM
the identities are not bgus, but the acting is very good in real life. That hides the true character. sad but true.
© BellaOnline Forums