BellaOnline
Posted By: Art Appreciation Naming Famous Artists (Revisited) - 03/08/11 09:46 PM
Let's begin guessing famous artists once again.
This has become a very popular thread in the Art Appreciation Forum.
Today I'd like to display this watercolor.
Does anyone know who this artist might be?

Posted By: Claybird Re: Naming Famous Artists (Revisited) - 03/10/11 01:13 AM
J.M.W.Turner? Is it one of his wonderful little watercolors?
Posted By: Allornothing Re: Naming Famous Artists (Revisited) - 03/12/11 08:57 AM
Vinci?
Definitely Turner. I couldn't name it, but I'm sure I've seen it in the Tate.
Claybird, you were the first to guess correctly.

The painting is "The Scarlet Sunset" (1830-1840) by Joseph Mallard Turner.

And yes, Mona, you were also correct, it can be seen at the Tate, London.
Here's another painting for you to guess the artist.

It's not a particularly attractive piece, but it is significant in the career of this artist.
Any idea who may have painted this?

Hint: this artist's painting with the same theme was sold in 2006 for $13 million.

Take a guess!
OK, process of elimination.

It's not Chardin or Francis Bacon who also painted sides of beef.

A similar painting by the same artist was shown in a Julia Robert's movie.

Are you any closer to guessing the identity of the artist?
My first thought was Bacon. It certainly isn't Rembrandt!

There's something familiar about it, but I can't place it.
Hint: this is a twentieth century artist.
I finally had to give in and google on the info and hints you gave and found: Chaim Soutine

This is actually not a name I know, so would never have guessed it. But I can see that the lack is my ignorance and not his obscurity. I may well have seen one of his works without the name registering, perhaps in a special exhibition.

I'm not taken with dead things, but some of the landscapes look very interesting. Must have a look next time I'm at the Tate. Thank you for the introduction!
Correct Gecko, the painting is "Carcass of Beef" by Chaim Soutine from the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

A similar painting by Soutine was shown in the movie
"Mona Lisa Smile" with Julia Roberts.
This is a landscape painting by a famous French artist.

Does anyone know who painted this?

Hint: he's a nineteenth century French artist.

Any guesses?
I think it's Corot, but I can't identify the painting.
Yes, Mona, you are correct. The artist is Camille (my namesake) Corot.

The title of the painting is "Ville d�Avray" (1867) and can be seen at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
Can anyone tell me the artist who painted this lovely springtime scene?

It almost looks like a Monet -- but, I am not sure. Monet's impressionist works were a little more subtle and softer. It sure is lovely.
Phyllis, sorry, it's not Monet.

Any other guesses?

Hint: this artist is American.
Lovely. It's Martin Johnson Heade. I've seen some of his stuff in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.
Mona, you are correct!

The artist is Martin Johnson Heade and the painting is "Orchid and Hummingbird near a Mountain Waterfall" (1902). It can be seen at the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Prado, Madrid, Spain.

I was just in Boston the other day and saw a few paintings by Martin Johnson Heade in the new Americas Wing of the Museum of Fine Arts.
Oh, I'm quite envious. Dear friends used to live in the Boston area, but I haven't been back since they left. So haven't seen the new wing. It's a museum I've always liked and good food in the restaurant too!

I used to love seeing their collection of the works of the Wyeth family, Andrew especially. Beautiful texture to his work. But there was a nice little exhibition of Wyeth work at the Dulwich Picture Gallery about a year ago. I'd never been there before-lovely little gallery.
This has always been a fun forum.

Who is this artist and what is the name of the painting?

The artist is Georges Braque - the painting is The Round Table.

And that style of table is still to be found throughout France even after all these years, obviously a "keeper".

Francine,

You are absolutely correct!

The painting is "The Round Table" (1929) by Georges Braque.
How about trying to identify another painting by a famous artist?

Who is the (European) artist of this painting?
© BellaOnline Forums