BellaOnline
Unconventional Material As Yarn Sharing my latest article with you and yes this works great for yarn bombs and will last for awhile....afterall you don't want all the work to go to waste smile
I have crocheted with yarn made from old socks. It is the same idea as yarn made with T shirts cut into strips. I can explain this more if people have not heard of it and want more details. It makes a really thick yarn so it limits what you can make with it. It also crochets up to something pretty stiff. I made a coaster with it. A pair of colorful knee high socks was enough to make one coaster. Or maybe it was just one sock. It has been awhile so I do not remember for sure. I am thinking the stiffness and thickness might make it work well for a bowl or a basket. Of course I would need lots of socks for that.
That's a good idea especially since alot of socks loose their partner in the dryer smile
I have seen bags crocheted from strips of plastic grocery sacks, and rugs crocheted from large strips of old sheets. This is size Q hook type stuff.
Another good one, yes those projects usually go pretty fast. You can either rip the material or buy mill ends on rolls and use an electric serrated knife to cut into strips on the roll.
Electric serrate knife? Sounds like there is a major shortcut here! I don't get right yet how that would work, though. It sounds like a big enough time saver, I am going to try to figure it out.
If you have the mill ends, they are actually on a roll with a hard cardboard center, get a roll of masking tape to mark off the width (they come in various widths, some can be 4 inches to 15 inches) all the way around the roll. Put it on the floor get your electric knife and cut, rolling or turning as necessary, cuts like butter.
Cool! I will have to try this sometime!
I like to use old sheets. I cut them on the diag. and then crochet them up into things like placemats, trivets, coasters, rugs, bun rugs (I put these on a chair so I don't stick and loose half the skin on my backside!) and anything else you can do with yarn. Old jeans work well for braiding but not so much for crochet unless you want to use the BIG hook! LOL
PERFECT, but I'm a little lazy I would just do a slit and rip smile the fabric.
I have crocheted rugs with 4 and 6 mm polycord. I did one years ago and it is still on my front porch. It takes all kinds of weather and cleans up with 30 second cleaner.
Oh and I have crocheted with fishing netting. There is netting on spools you can get for repairing the big nets. It is very strong.
I forgot all about the polycord, the fishing netting was that rough on your hands ?
The polycord was rougher then the fish netting. Polycord is very abrasive to the hands. I have to wear gloves when chair braiding so as to not take off all my skin.

The fish netting is very kind compared to the polycord.
I tried the slit and rip thing, but there were so many threads to deal with it almost made me quit. another reason I like to cut on the diag is it gives the fabric give that makes working with it much easier.
True, it does make alot of strings.
© BellaOnline Forums