BellaOnline
Both of my kids were born with learning disabilities. My son passed away when he was fifteen. My daughter really had a difficult time with his death. She really had an awful time with school. I was fighting the school constantly. She had a trial period of Ritalin. Ritalin had worked great with my son. My daughter was not hyperactive but attention deficit. She had reactions to the medication so I took her off of it; the school had a hissy fit.

I watched her go downhill rapidly � amongst other things severe depression. I finally pulled her out of school and homeschooled her. We focused primarily on reading because that was her weakest area. We filled it in with other academics to round off her education. However, what we did do was climb in the car and traveled pretty much all over the United States. If there was a battleground in Mississippi in her lessons we went there to see it. We learned about Supreme Commander and Eisenhower by going to his museum and final resting place. We learned about Native Americans by visiting various places but by also going to Crazy Horse a monument in the making. We spent at least 9 months in the car.

We returned home our spirits revived from the depths of depression. She looked forward to learning. She was reading on a grade level above her peers. Before homeschooling she was below grade level. That year made such a huge difference in her life.
Wow! That is a very uplifting story about your daughter. Please accept my condolences for your son. You seem like a strong and determined mom.
As for the hands on experience your daughter got I think it is wonderful. I would love to take time to travel and see famous landmarks, etc. It makes the whole learning experience exciting and real.
Thanks for sharing!
© BellaOnline Forums