BellaOnline
Posted By: silegose Any suggestions? - 11/06/06 04:02 PM
Besides saxon math what other programs are there for math? My son had saxon in school since 5th grade and he had a hard time with it. I have been looking for others but none have caught me yet. Any suggestions.
thanks
Terri
Posted By: Meg_Homeschooling Re: Any suggestions? - 11/06/06 06:07 PM
we like the total math workbooks and singapore math. saxon is a love it or hate it program. lots of parents love but kids hate.
Posted By: acoosh Re: Any suggestions? - 11/06/06 07:37 PM
the program doesn't really matter since whatever we do, children - most of them anyway - will still end up hating math. I say just give them everything there is! haha!
Posted By: silegose Re: Any suggestions? - 11/07/06 02:18 AM
I agree it was hate/ hate here though. it took me 4 hrs one day to figure out what the heck they were doing.
terri
Posted By: CrochetQueen Re: Any suggestions? - 11/08/06 07:23 AM
I must be lucky, math is his favorite subject it's the Science that he dislikes.

Eva
Posted By: Meg_Homeschooling Re: Any suggestions? - 11/08/06 02:48 PM
so far mine love math, we're very laid back about it.
Posted By: JanZeiger Re: Any suggestions? - 11/08/06 05:48 PM
I believe that hating math is a product of traditional teaching methods. A love for numbers and counting is natural.

It's much like reading. Children would continue to enjoy books if child-led learning was allowed and encouraged.

By the way, in response to the curriculum question, I've heard GREAT things about Math U See.

Quote:
the program doesn't really matter since whatever we do, children - most of them anyway - will still end up hating math. I say just give them everything there is! haha!
Posted By: silegose Re: Any suggestions? - 11/14/06 03:18 AM
Well he has not been very strong on the math side but I thought he was getting better but that seems to have not been the case. Today I was off from work so I had him take the placement tests that singapore math offers and he couldnt even do the sixth grade level. So I went back and printed the level 5 for him and he still missed a ton.

I have found that the 2 kids are sooo different. My DD likes math and could careless about reading and spelling. Where as my son likes the reading/spelling and dont care to much for the math. They both love science.

What curriculum do you all use for spelling, science, English? We are just trying to find one that will work best for the kids.

We have yet to purchase any cirriculum because we really want to find one that will fit each of their needs.

Terri
Posted By: Meg_Homeschooling Re: Any suggestions? - 11/15/06 09:26 PM
We don't use curriculum for spelling, science or english. I've tried many (believe me! I can name at least 7) and have never found one that was acceptable for us.

I like the concept behind Learning Language Arts through Literature the best, and First Language Lessons is good for young kids (under 8). I do have a copy of Simply Grammar that I had intended to start this year, but changed my mind for now.

Meg
Posted By: JanZeiger Re: Any suggestions? - 11/16/06 05:19 AM
Terri,

Have you thought about the unit study approach? It's a great way to integrate the subjects and teach skills in context. Choose high-interest topics that will engage your children...

Jan
© BellaOnline Forums