BellaOnline
It’s our inclination to be in control. For centuries, people have devised plans to rule events. Who is really in charge of my future?

New Year's Eve Tradition and Superstition
Posted By: Angie Re: New Year's Eve Tradition and Superstition - 12/27/17 03:27 PM
Some of those are funny traditions! I've never heard of most of them. In Germany it is said you should eat Lentils and the other tradition is, whatever you do on New Year's day is what you will do the rest of the year. So, I make it a point, not to do laundry.

I wish you and all a very happy new year!
I enjoyed reading your article.

"The first person to cross the threshold on New Year’s Day should be a dark male, and he should bring with him symbolic pieces of coal, shortbread, salt, black bun and a bit of whisky. (You have to invite him in.)"

This describes part of the Scottish Hogmanay celebration which has developed over many centuries from pagan times, gathering bits as it went. It's called "first footing". I read that the "dark male" preference originated from a time when there was a folk memory of Viking raids. But for traditions well over a thousand years old, who knows?!
I have a suspicion that some of the traditions, such as not doing laundry or sweeping the floor, were started by the women of the house (or whoever did the cleaning) who wanted a little vacation.

Happy New Year Angie.
Happy New Year Mona.

It sounds likely that people would count a dark male as lucky since the invading Vikings were lighter in coloring.
Posted By: Angie Re: New Year's Eve Tradition and Superstition - 12/28/17 09:49 AM
Lynne, I suspect you are 100% correct about women wanting a day off.
Posted By: Angie Re: New Year's Eve Tradition and Superstition - 01/01/18 02:03 PM
Well Lynne, we are going to a funeral today. So sad. A friend's son passed away.
I'm sorry to hear that. It's something they'll always remember on New Years Day
© BellaOnline Forums