BellaOnline
Posted By: Leslie- Wicca Editor Book Club? - 01/11/10 06:18 PM
Would anyone be interested in doing a book club? There are a lot of books that I have read lately that I would love to have other people discuss with.
Posted By: sonally Re: Book Club? - 01/11/10 09:46 PM
yes, i would be interested, depending on the books.... how expensive or available at libraries!
Posted By: Sulverna Re: Book Club? - 01/12/10 08:38 PM
I think you should just go ahead and post you thoughts on the books, people will respond.
Posted By: Leslie- Wicca Editor Re: Book Club? - 01/13/10 05:58 PM
Here are a few of my suggestions:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft

- I taught a Wicca 101 class with this book. A lot of people don't like the Idiot's guides books because of the name but it is an excellent starting point!

Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft by Ray Buckland

- I like this book because it already has questions in each chapter.

Wiccan Mysteries by Raven Grimasi

Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner and Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunnigham

-These are also great starting points. Anything by Cunningham is worth having in your library!

Any other suggestions??
Posted By: tickle me gold Re: Book Club? - 01/13/10 06:30 PM
I enjoy reading autobiographical books by Sybil Leek. Positive Magic by Marion Weinstien (sp?) is an excellent book for beginners.
Posted By: Leslie- Wicca Editor Re: Book Club? - 01/13/10 06:33 PM
Ah yes, Sybil Leek's books are great but can be hard to find. Great suggestion!
Posted By: wench Re: Book Club? - 01/13/10 06:37 PM
I would really love to have a forum that would not only share thoughts on new books(or old)with substance, but also spells, recipes, crafts, stores and websites,discussing pros and cons of each. Or even selling used books to each other. Everything I seem to see anymore is old "stuff"...would love to have new, refreshing ideas!
Posted By: Leslie- Wicca Editor Re: Book Club? - 01/13/10 06:55 PM
wench - that is my aim for this forum and the main website this forum is linked too. Please feel free to start new topics in the forum with questions and starting conversations!!
Posted By: wench Re: Book Club? - 01/13/10 07:43 PM
Ok, one topic that is close to my heart is locating hard to find items. Certain spells and recipes call for certain things that are not easy to come by, or even locate a source. If forum readers put out there what they are looking for, maybe other readers have it, make it or can tell the person where to find it. That goes for books, also.
Posted By: MoiraK Re: Book Club? - 01/13/10 10:11 PM
The book club is a wonderful idea. I loved the Idiot's Guide. I'm new to the path and I found It excellent and it covers so much. I think it would be a great book for the book club.
Posted By: Sapo Re: Book Club? - 01/13/10 11:53 PM
I would love to share info on books and such. I know that you can go to www.bookcrossing.com and exchange books for nothing but postage and usually its media mail and very inexpensive. I have found many of my wicca, witchcraft, herbal, etc books this way.

Also someone asked about getting supplies. I have ordered some really nice unusual products (hard to find) from www.alchemy-works.com their website has very useful information as well as supplies.

Blessings,

Desert Star
www.desertstarstudio.com
Posted By: malawoomama Re: Book Club? - 01/14/10 12:38 AM
I also loved the idiot's guide and found it to be very useful to me when I was first exploring this path. I like Dorothy Morrison and the books she has written, she writes with a sense of humor and she also includes the everyday items we can use when we can't find certain things that are called for in some of the rituals or spells.
Posted By: Scarlet Oakleaf Re: Book Club? - 01/14/10 12:39 AM
[color:#CC33CC] [/color] [color:#990000] [/color] [font:Comic Sans MS] [/font] I think a book club would be great...I love Scott Cunningham and have most of his books...I will be watching for what you will decide...Great Idea! Scarlet Oakleaf
Posted By: Leslie- Wicca Editor Re: Book Club? - 01/15/10 07:10 PM
This is great! I am going to post a poll in another post with some book titles. Go vote! Hopefully we can start the 2nd week of February, that way people can get the book and a notebook to work in. I am excited!!
Posted By: Leslie- Wicca Editor Re: Book Club? - 01/20/10 04:54 AM
Looks like the winner is Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft by Ray Buckland. For those of you interested in participating in the discussions, do you all need time to get the book?? Let me know ASAP! This can help determine a reading and question schedule!
Posted By: RhobbinOMirth Re: Book Club? - 01/20/10 05:13 AM
Awesome book choice! Count me in! I've owned this book for several years now and have never gottten around to finishing reading it, or even getting past Ch 3 I think! Now's my chance to read it, share and hear comments, and learn, get feedback, etc, from this forum! Thanks, Leslie, for getting this started!
Posted By: MoiraK Re: Book Club? - 01/20/10 04:08 PM
I'm in too.
Posted By: greyowl Re: Book Club? - 01/20/10 05:37 PM
I have been teaching Basic Witchcraft from this Book for many years, It is a very good Beginners manual
Posted By: MaggieA Re: Book Club? - 01/20/10 05:54 PM
I have the book, now what do I do? Maggie
Posted By: Helen Doll Making Editor Re: Book Club? - 01/21/10 11:03 AM
I'd like to take part, as well.
Posted By: Leslie- Wicca Editor Re: Book Club? - 01/21/10 06:42 PM
It is good to see so many ready to go! If you have the book, let's go slow at first. Read the Intro and 1st chapter. I will post some questions in another topic so we can keep it easy to find for everyone. Since the beginning is pretty short, I think a week of discussion would be ok. Then next week we can read Chapter 2 and 3 to see how that works for people. I am excited!!
Posted By: Rentawitch Re: Book Club? - 01/22/10 02:28 PM
Count me in too please! What a great idea :)
© BellaOnline Forums