BellaOnline
Posted By: newandlost HELP. Wicca or not - 03/27/07 03:06 PM
I have been raised in the Christian church. I have been questioning the religion since my grandfather died. He was the driving force behind my religous choice. He died of a stress induced stroke, stress from the turmoil caused by an immoral preacher in his church.

So that was 3 years ago.

I have been questioning the idea that any one religion is the one true way.

This has lead me to read a few books. The one that has tuned me in is Wicca.

How do I know if this is where I belong?????
Posted By: Jeanette - Editor Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 03/27/07 03:29 PM
I think it is one of those things that you just know it is right. I questioned religion in my teens then lost interest cause it was all so confusing. Then when I was 20 I stumble upon Paganism once again. At 21, I went through what I call a test of faith. I went back to a church after studying and practicing Wicca for a year. I stayed for about 6 months and watching the zombie like parishners made me realize how right Wicca and other Pagan paths were right for me. Now 12 years later I call myself Eclectic Pagan and a Buddhist. YOu will know in your heart and gut that this path is for you. Read everything you can, talk to as many people as you can, try to find some local people and groups to talk to and events to attend.
Posted By: newandlost Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 03/27/07 03:49 PM
thank you. I am trying to find a local group or at least one person. Wiccans don't exactly advertise
Posted By: Samten Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 03/27/07 07:47 PM
Try Meetup.com even if you don't see something in your back yard there might be something within a reasonable driving range. smile
Posted By: Samten Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 03/27/07 07:48 PM
Try Meetup.com even if you don't see something in your back yard there might be something within a reasonable driving range. smile
Posted By: Madmblu Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 03/28/07 02:08 AM
I think your best bet is to put the books down and just think about what *you* believe. Ask yourself a bunch of questions and really think about what you feel to be true vs. indoctrination that may or may not be true for you. Do you believe in a higher power? What do you think happens after you die? What do you consider "holy"? What is the point of life? Do you feel that people are inherently moral? How do you define "moral"? Etc. Spend time thinking about these questions - this is not a race. smile Your answers will help you in deciding a religion/spiritual path that is right for you.
~M.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 03/28/07 11:01 AM
When I started on the Pagan path, I thought some of the books helped clarify things, but I didn't just start reading pagan books. I read about Buddhism, just general spirituality books, etc... It doesn't matter what you call it in the long run though, as long as you actually feel it in your heart.
Posted By: Jeanette - Editor Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 03/28/07 03:52 PM
www.witchvox.com has a huge database of Pagans and Wiccans. A great place to start!
Posted By: FionaBlackwolf Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 03/28/07 08:56 PM
Never put books down! Read as much as you can but read wisely and with your gut. If something dosen't feel right to you try to examine why and then leave that out of your practice. But remember that Wicca is a PRACTICING religion. So do some of the exercises in the books, get outside and experience nature, follow the changes in the moon etc.

I do agree with Madmblu that you should think about the questions she posed. Obviously you are in a period of exploring your beliefs so those are excellent things to think about.

And I would say that Meetup.com and Witchvox.com are the best places to find folks in your area.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 03/28/07 09:38 PM
Slightly off topic, but I haven't heard of MeetUp.com before. Do you guys consider it to be safe?
Posted By: Morwen Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 05/04/07 02:24 PM
well...that is something that you have to feel inside of you... You know better than as all^^
Posted By: Desiree Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 06/25/07 08:06 PM
I just wanted to say that I to struggled with this question. I was raised in a bible fearing Christian home. I will be honest with you when I say, it never felt right to me. Of course I believed what I was taught but when I got to an age that I realized there was more out there, I began to look. I attended churches (used as a generic term for places of worship) of all religions. I asked questions and looked for info. But nothing seemed to fit with me. Then I found Wicca, it was amazing to me how many of the Wiccan beliefs I found fit close to my own inner beliefs. It was something i was comfortable with. A lot of the things taught in Christianity just didn't feel right to me. I remember being a little girl and a Sunday school teacher telling me that God will punish you the same for stealing a piece of bubble gum or murder. That just didn't feel right to me. As a Mom (which God is supposed to be our father/parent) I could not see punishing my daughter the same for getting a D on her report card as I would her stealing a car!!! It just doesn't make sense to me. Some of the other struggles I had included all of the rules. It seemed anything that would be fun or make life enjoyable was a sin!!! I began to pull my beliefs away from them and form my own. Including my beliefs about judgement. I believe you can do a good deed for the wrong reasons and it loses all meaning in a karma sense. You can also do a bad deed for the right reason and it carries tremendous weight in a karma sense. Thus became my belief of being judged by your heart and intentions as opposed to your actions alone. Most Christians disagreed with me. Being raised in a Christian home I learned that the bible is open to interpretation and that everyone that reads it will draw their own conclusions of what it means.

I do not disagree with any other religions; you have the right to choose for yourself. This is just my thoughts and the path I traveled to find myself here. I believe Wicca is what is good and wonderful of all religions. It is about perfect love and perfect trust. It baffles my mind that someone could find that offensive or tell me I am going to burn in hell for practicing love and trust.

Which ever path you choose, make it your path!! You define your religion, don't let it define you!!
Posted By: MeSheWolf Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 06/26/07 10:06 PM
Yet another option is to take what you feel is true, good and right from several faiths, as I do from Christianity & Wicca and Jeanette does Buddism & Wicca. Follow your own heart and path..to what you know is true. It will lead you to a better, happier existence in the end. Oh yeah, I also agree.. read, read, read about all faiths/belief systems. You will find the one that works for you. God/dess bless your journey.
Posted By: freespirit Re: HELP. Wicca or not - 06/26/07 10:21 PM
mmm I kind of dont agree with that but in a way I also agree. I dont think grocey shop religion is a great way to live because if it does not feel good or if it is to contricting and you just dont want to do it then you wont buy that believe and if it fits into your plan then great you buy it. I think this can be very dangerous and harmfull. but I also think that if you hold to one faith and a set of standards that you become blinded and put limits on God and God becomes small and powerless.

I think that there is a balance that we are missing here. I think we should be open and learn all that we can about others faiths and our own faith and find what we believe and know why we believe what we do and choose the religion that best fits what we know or think to be true and take the Fits our plan parts as well as the hard and restiricting parts as well...

Balance!
© BellaOnline Forums