BellaOnline
Posted By: Leslie A Feeling inadequate... - 05/24/11 02:26 AM
Does anyone else ever feel like they just fail at being a competent human being? Because I sure do. It seems like I can't keep up with my life, and the more I try to slow it down, the more it slips through my fingers. I feel like I just need a long vacation away from everything, but I know I can't take one. Between my job, school and social life, it's nigh impossible for me to just get away from it all. I think I just need a way to unwind, and get back to the basics. I need to clear away some clutter, literally and figuratively. Any suggestions? I'll take any advice I can get.
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Feeling inadequate... - 05/24/11 03:01 AM
Hi Leslie,

It seems that you're feeling overwhelmed right now with a very busy life. You asked if anyone else feels as though they just fail at being a competent human being...Oh, gosh...I surely have and still do on occasion. And then, I realized something: how can we fail at being human? Everything we do and are is part of being human. It's okay to be human.

I also learned that we humans tend to wrap up our self-worth in accomplishments when really, we're worth something because we are humans. One is not worth more than another. No matter what society says.

How do you define competence?

Anyway, as for getting back to basics, here is what I do:

1. Simplify my life. Nothing (as in "no-thing") really matters.
2. Do what brings me joy and don't worry about other people's expectations. They can deal with it or not.
3. Know that you have the power to create the life you want so create deliberately. If things aren't working for you, make some changes. Reevaluate your life.
4. Enjoy the moment. Find the joy, peace and gratitude of this moment. Do whatever it is that brings you peace. I always go out into nature and breathe deeply, feed the birds or play with animals. Even a minute of sanctuary helps.

Can you take a mini-vacation at home? I like to do that by creating a beach-type escape at home, using scented candles or camp in the backyard. Or just go on a drive through new but nearby places. It's a change of pace that is needed.

Sometimes, I cry and wallow in my misery. Sometimes, I have to concentrate on just breathing. Keep breathing, I tell myself, and all things pass...
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Feeling inadequate... - 06/01/11 02:46 AM
Hi Leslie,

I agree with Lori.

I, too, have my moments {and plenty of them} where I mange to do my best impression of the village idiot.

I like to look at life as a classroom. Did I at least learn something?

And I think decluttering - both literally and figuratively - is the BOMB! I ALWAYS feel better when I not only get rid of the extra physical junk - but also look at the people and situations in my life.

In fact - just recently I decluttered my facebook friends' list. I "unfriended" those people who didn't add to my happiness.

You're not inadequate Leslie. You are learning and growing all the time; and sharing your lovely energy with those around you!
© BellaOnline Forums