BellaOnline
Posted By: Lynn_B Brian May (Queen) Changes Career - 11/20/07 05:46 PM
Brian May (guitarist for Queen) recently finished his Ph.D. and will assume the position of Chancellor at a London university.

See the article online now.
I know that is so awesome. I heard about him getting his Ph.d this summer.

He was trying to go to school before too but quit in 1971 to do "some rock and roll thing." I wonder what happened with that? lol.
Posted By: Jim Colyer Re: Brian May (Queen) Changes Career - 02/20/08 03:55 AM
That is amazing!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Brian May (Queen) Changes Career - 02/20/08 04:04 AM
The link seems dead? But that is VERY cool. Queen always impressed me with their intricate songs. It makes a lot of sense that he is quite a smart person in general.
Posted By: Lynn_B Re: Brian May (Queen) Changes Career - 02/20/08 04:12 AM
It was alive and well back in November. But that's Yahoo! News for you...

Here's a good link from NewsMax:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Brian May (Queen) Changes Career - 02/22/08 12:21 AM
I love the quote

"It was unfinished business," he said. "I didn't want an honorary Ph.D. I wanted the real thing that I worked for."

That is so inspiring!!
That is pretty amazing. So many rock stars just wouldn't put that kind of effort into education. And, astrophysics?? That's quite the major.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Brian May (Queen) Changes Career - 02/24/08 08:42 AM
Maybe he could discover a new meteorite or something during his research and name it smile That would be neat!
Hmmm... would he name it after himself or after Queen somehow if he discovered something like that?

He would be right to name it after himself but it would be interesting in any event.
Posted By: M o e Re: Brian May (Queen) Changes Career - 02/29/08 03:47 AM
There was an excellent documentary on Queen a couple months back (I think it was one of the showcase channels). I was deeply moved by the whole production and how dedicated Freddie was to preforming even though he was so sick.
Posted By: Isishere Re: Brian May (Queen) Changes Career - 06/16/08 12:14 AM
Hi all so nice to read nice things about Brian going up on non Queen related forums. It is good to see he has so much support from every corner of the globe.

Thought you may want to see this - it was an interview he did back in Jan 2008
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: elle Re: Brian May (Queen) Changes Career - 06/16/08 12:38 AM
That is awesome news! Good on him smile
Posted By: Isishere Re: Brian May (Queen) Changes Career - 06/16/08 07:04 AM
Here is a pretty recent interview with him re the PhD

From Queen to cosmos: Brian May gets his PhD
Andy Rain / EPA
That's Dr. May to you: Queen guitarist Brian May went back to school in London to earn his doctorate in astrophysics. His subject: dust in the (interplanetary) wind.
The musician who wrote 'We Will Rock You' went from the school of rock to graduate studies in astrophysics. He emerged with a book on the history of the universe and insight into interplanetary dust.
By John Johnson Jr., Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
June 7, 2008
Brian May, lead guitarist for Queen and the author of the stadium anthem "We Will Rock You," was awarded his PhD this year in astrophysics from Imperial College London. Now his first book, "Bang! The Complete History of the Universe," written with astronomer Sir Patrick Moore and astrophysicist Chris Lintott, is being released in the U.S.

The book, inspired by physicist Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time," is a tour of the cosmos from a microsecond after the Big Bang to when the Earth is a baking husk 5 billion years from now. While preparing to launch the band's latest tour, May, 60, took a short break to explain how a hard-core rocker was snared by the music of the spheres.

for the rest of the article please go to:
© BellaOnline Forums