BellaOnline
I would like to do a survey. Tell me what you think the top 25 classic rock songs of all time are. Just post your list here in the forum I'll be checking frequently. I've been looking around at some of the other sites who have posted these lists. Not too sure I agree with most of them. The number one spot is almost indisputable. Led Zeppelins "Stairway To Heaven" topped every list but the similarities end there. when we get enough posts I'll do some comparisons and we'll compile our own list. This should be fun. don't be shy, We are very interested in your opinions.

If 25 songs are too many you can submit a list with as many songs as you like.
Oh well it was worth a try ?? I see there are no takers. Come on take a chance. submit a list. Give me 5 songs.
Okay Judy... here are 10 outstanding classic rock songs:

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Tom Sawyer - Rush
Renegade - Styx
Radar Love - Golden Earring
House of the Rising Sun - Animals
Love is Like Oxygen - Sweet
Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
Walk this Way - Aerosmith
Cold As Ice - Foreigner
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - BTO

Thank you !! jmb for your list, finally someone, submitted something. I could use some more responses. I'm not going to judge anyones list that is submitted. I think yours is very interesting. I've been wondering, not because I'm a groupie or anything of Peter Framptons, but He did have one of the largest selling albums of all time, I remember back in '78, you couldn't find a station that wasn't playing. "Feel like I Do." Just a thought.
Judy... I'll have to listen to a sample of that song... it's just not coming to my mind. I can't say that Peter Frampton was ever very high on my music "radar".

Here's a question for you... how would you define "Classic Rock"? Is there a certain date range? And where do you draw the line between Rock and Pop? Just curious.

Can I add
More than a feeling - Boston
to the list?

Jmb;

Good question, if you go to my site I wrote an article called "Origins of Classic Rock." It's in the archives now. but it should help clarify some things for you. There's a breakdown, of artists and bands, that will give you an idea about the rock pop thing. Of course there are some artist that kind of sit in the middle of the road and are hard to define as one or the other, Elton John for instance. But classic rock is more of a reference in time or an era, rather than a genre. My mind puts the heart of the era around the Vietnam war. When music became an outlet for the younger generation to speak their minds. and facilitate significant changes in this country. Also before music became as visual as it is now. Back when I was younger, no one planted images on a screen & interpreted the music for you. You did that in your own mind. Therefore, you felt it more, and identified with it in a different way. We felt the music back then an it was very powerfull. If I had to put dates on it I would say 1960-1985

Just because a song is a classic doesn't mean it is classic rock, If it isn't in that era, it isn't classic rock. One cannot say just because a song hits the top 40 that it is a pop song either.
Classic rock includes several genres of music, as well.

You dont remember "Frampton Comes Alive" (1978) For three years that album was on the top of the charts . "Do You Feel Like I Do" Frampton used the "Talk Box" (Vocoder effect) on his guitar.
one of the lines, with the talk box engaged was, "I wanna thank you," that sounded like "I wanna (blank) you." Starts with an "F." If you catch what I mean. I guess all of this would depend on your age, If you were alive and old enough to remember, then you couldn't have missed it. That album shot Peter Frampton to an Level of fame, for a short period of time, that compares to lets say, The Beatles experienced when they came to the States.
He sold a lot of albums and made alot of Money, on that one album alone. It was recorded at the famed "Winterland Ballroom" in San Fransisco. (no longer exists)

Kay I'm, done. Wwhheeewwwww!!!!
I turned 13 in 1978 so I guess I just missed it. (sorry). but then again, there are some other "classic" rock artists that are adored by millions, but just don't excite me as much: The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton and Bruce Springsteen come to mind. I guess I'm just odd.

I should probably add "Back in Black" AC/DC to my list.
How about.....
Jim Dandy-Black Oak Arkansas
Riding The Storm Out-REO
2112-Rush
Never Been Any Reason-Headeast
Black Sabbbath
Alice Cooper
Ozzy W/ Randy Rhodes
ELO
jmb

I'm hearing what you are saying. Back then I was more into Some artist my older brother had turned me on to. Most people have never heard of them, more so back then, than now. "John Prine," and Guy Clark," are two of them. They are hard to catagorize. They are more songwriters than anything. I always liked Neil Young, but was never crazy about him. Then when I saw "Greendale."
a couple of years ago I became interested again. The more I've learned about what he has really been doing all of these years the more impressed I've become. I love that he is so into his sons. He sounds like a great Dad. He's an extremely creative person all around. I'm going to be doing more articles on him soon.

gotta go my kids are here !!
Nadaurz:

Very interesting list, I dang near forgot about "Black Oak Arkansas," and who is "Headeast?"
They were hot in the early to mid 70's, I think. Some songs I remember are Flat as A Pancake, Jefftown Creek, Never Been Any reason. They were popular same time as Nazarath, Styx, REO's Time For me To Fly era. If you like Black Oak you'd probably like them.
Alvin Lee and 10 years after
Mountain - Leslie West
Moody Blues Nights in White Satin
Robin Trower
Nazz
Crosby, Stills & Nash with or without Neil Young.
Definitely agree with Frampton Live LP.. ahead of his time.

Grew up in Cleveland, OH...home of WMMS and the home of the original Buzzard with Jeff and Flash.
Now I am in NC and now I get to listen to 95.7 The Ride.
Ready for love***Bad Company
Pour some sugar on me***Def Leppard
Free Bird***Lynyrd Skynyrd
Hotel California***The Eagles
Dont come around here no more***Tom Petty and the heartbreakers
Bad Company***Bad Company
Old Time Rock and Roll***Bob Segar
New York Minute***The Eagles
Against the wind***Bob Segar
The way I Choose***Bad Company
MainStreet***Bob Segar
Thats to name a few, Im not leaving any out on accident...I have things to do...
Love all these old tunes!

Born To Be Wild- Steppenwolf
Jump- Van Halen
Smoke on the Water- Deep Purple
Mississippi Queen- Mountain
..1 SAVE THE PLANET - Jim Colyer
..2 DANCING QUEEN - ABBA
..3 HOUND DOG - Elvis Presley
..4 I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND - The Beatles
..5 REVOLUTION - The Beatles
..6 GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY - Little Richard
..7 GREAT BALLS OF FIRE - Jerry Lee Lewis
..8 ALL ROADS LEAD TO YOU - Jim Colyer
..9 COUNTRY - Cassidy Lynn
10 MAN! I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN! - Shania Twain
11 HOT STUFF - Donna Summer
12 LE FREAK - Chic
13 I SAW HER STANDING THERE - The Beatles
14 YMCA - VILLAGE PEOPLE
15 LUCILLE - Little Richard
16 WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN' GOIN ON - Jerry Lee Lewis
17 DON'T BE CRUEL - Elvis Presley
18 I LOOKED TWICE! - One Night Stand
19 STAYING ALIVE - Bee Gees
20 FERNANDO - ABBA
21 I PROMISE - Karen Wischmeier
22 TRAVELING MAN - Ricky Nelson
23 DO YA THINK I'M SEXY - Rod Stewart
24 BAKER STREET - Gerry Rafferty
25 LOVE ME JUST A LITTLE - D.I. Band
100 CLASSIC RECORDS

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
It seems like this was a good summer for Classic Rock. I'm set to see Genesis on September 22nd.
1. "Smoke On The Water" Deep Purple
2. "Rainbow In The Dark" Dio
3. "TNT" ACDC
4. "Freebird" Skynyrd
5. "Layla" Eric Clapton
6. "Satisfaction" The Rolling Stones
7. "Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)" The Hollies
8. "Stairway to Heaven" Led Zepplin
9. "Hotel California" The Eagles
10. "Wish You Were Here" Pink Floyd
11. "Dancing In the Moonlight" Thin Lizzy
12. "Born To Be Wild" Steppenwolf
13. "Love Bites" Def Leppard
14. "Cradle of Love" Billy Idol
15. "Beast Of Burden" The Rolling Stones
16. "No More Mr. Nice Guy" Alice Cooper
17. "Crazy Train" Ozzy Osbourne
18. "American Woman" The Guess Who
19. "Maybe I'm Amazed" Paul McCartney
20. "Sweet Home Alabama" Skynyrd
21. "Fat Bottom Girls" Queen (mostly, because it makes laugh!)
22. "Girls Got Rhythm" ACDC
23. "Hush" Deep Purple
24. "Feel Like Makin' Love" Bad Company
25. "Foxy Lady" Hendrix

Sheesh, I could have listed all day. Tough choices!
Amelia: That's an awesome list! Fat Bottom Girls is just great. I can't explain. It's like "Get On Your Bicycles and Ride"!
Thanks Michelle! That part is so funny. I'm a sucker for songs like that.
Amelia - I love your little avatar. That is so retro!
Chel
© BellaOnline Forums