BellaOnline
Posted By: Gordon Barlow The Man with a Hoe - 07/24/15 01:12 PM
Prompted by a reference in another forum to the straitened circumstances of some of the farm workers of the 19th Century, I have just looked up a poem called The Man with a Hoe, which I have long revered and which I can't read without a few tears. Here is a link to it, for those who don't know of it.
https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~wyllys/manwhoe.html
Posted By: Linda Sue Grimes Re: The Man with a Hoe - 09/05/15 06:19 AM
Gordon,

You might find Markham's essay interesting: Markham's Reflections on Writing 'The Man with a Hoe'
Posted By: Gordon Barlow Re: The Man with a Hoe - 09/05/15 03:29 PM
Thanks very much for the link, Linda Sue. Of *course* the man knew what he was writing, and the painter knew what he was painting. However could their critics even suspect that their subject didn't exist in the world? Their suspicion (their *judgment*, in reality) betrayed an ignorance of the world outside their own dominions.

In the mid-1960s, and our mid-twenties, my later-wife and I hitch-hiked through much of the Middle East, and "travelled cheap" through much of Europe. We met The Man with a Hoe and his urban cousins in several countries. When I came across the poem and the portrait many years later, I recognised the subject immediately, and have been a slave to human-rights ever since!
© BellaOnline Forums