BellaOnline
My daughter's favorite childhood book was Mud Pies and Other Recipes for Dolls. She is now 19 and still likes to run across it on the bookshelf.

I'd love to hear what your (or your child's) favorite childhood book was!

This topic is at the top of my mind this week because I just released my first children's book: Beehive Reader 1. It's a collection of short stories for beginning readers. After going through the writing and publishing process (and working on the second book in the series), my eyes are opened to what makes a keepsake-type of book.

Please share some favorite titles!
I liked Dr. Seuss books - and the book about the colorful fish that joined a school of fish to become the eye. That's all I remember about it smile
My favorite was the Walt Disney version of Cinderella. Sheryl
The Bus for Us and A Splendid Friend Indeed- by Susan Bloom

Darci
smile
Marvel Comics trade paperbacks such as the Rebirth of Thanos, The Death of Captain Marvel, and the Infinity Gauntlet. They were my favorite space stories. smile
I always loved the books by Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume. My 10 year old son got a chuckle from reading Henry and Ribsy and Superfudge. While these authors are not new, their work is still timely and interesting to chidren.
Posted By: Bsherrin Re: What was your favorite childhood book? - 10/26/10 01:37 PM
Where The Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak I was always getting sent to my room when I was a kid but mine never turned into a forest with all those wild creatures. I love the artwork and I loved the whole story. I love that book so much, my checks have the images from the book on them. Now I am working on a book named. [url=http://www.drainmaster.com.au/blocked-drains.php]drain cleaning Sydney[/url] I am going to write it soon.
All of L Frank Baum's Oz books. We all read them til they were falling apart.

Anyone who just knows only The Wizard of Oz -- and that from the film -- has missed a treat. Very imaginative stories and including plucky girls too. (Actually, now that I think about it, one of the most stalwart boys turned out to be a girl under an enchantment!)
When I was really young Aesop's Fables but in Spanish since that was my primary language at one time. It was actually weird reading these to my son in English a few years back.

As I got older I loved Gulliver's Travels, Little Women, Black Beauty, Treasure Island. It's so strange to see all these stories turned into big motion pictures or animation now.
Posted By: Lisan Re: What was your favorite childhood book? - 01/30/12 07:55 AM
My favorite childhood book was black beauty. It's an amazing horse. All most all of my classmates had read it.
Posted By: LBP Re: What was your favorite childhood book? - 01/30/12 02:24 PM
I too loved Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume stories, but my alltime favorite books were: Caps for Sale and Simple Simon. I think Simple Simon was a nursery rhyme but I had the book and each line was illistrated. and loved that thing. I drove everyone nuts reciting it!
My favorite books were the ones my grandmother read aloud in the summer. A pile of grandkids would lay in front of a box fan while she read on hot afternoons during summer vacation. Two I loved were, "James and the Giant Peach" and "Little House on the Prairie."
-"The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes" by Du Bose Heyward

-"The Black Stallion" series by Walter Farley

-Judy Blume books

-Nancy Drew books
I like your choices!
I read a lot of Trixie Belden and Little House on the Prairie.
I think the Little House book could still offer a lot for todays young readers. Trixie Belden would need a Nancy Drew style update.
The Phantom Tollbooth. Still love it now... :-)
Me too. I always suggest to my students who love math.
I am reading From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweilerto my girls right now. (E. L. Konigsburg,1967) They love it as much as I did as a girl, and think it would be a lot of fun to live in a museum.
The Little Golden Book called Red Riding Hood - I particularly liked the illustrations of the dappled sunshine forest.
The Nancy Drew & Encyclopedia Brown series :-) A lot of the classics too!
Lots of great books here. I enjoyed the Beverly Cleary books and Encyclopedia Brown. The Mixed Up Files was also a favorite. Probably my favorite book from my youth was A Wrinkle in Time. However, there's one kiddie book that still gets to me and at more than half a century, I still get misty when I read it; Love You Forever.
I loved the Red Fairy Tale book when I was young. As I grew, I loved A Wrinkle in Time and any book by Robert Heinlein.
Great picks! I also loved A Wrinkle in Time and Ramona the Pest. Agree that Love You Forever by Robert Munsch is wonderful. Adults seem to love it even more than children.
I also loved the Ballet Slippers type books and Betty Cavanna books. In a time when young girls were supposed to stand by and watch boys, Cavanna and Heinlein had heroines who were bold and active.
Not Ballet Slippers--Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild. I loved the Shoe Books.
Hello all,

Ah so many including Nancy Drew, Famous Five, Hardy Boys, Secret Seven, Aesops Fairy tales, classic renditions for kids - loved Dickens and Shakespeare as done by Puffin Publishers and they also did Roman and Greek Myths for kids. Scrooge, Great Expectations, Ullyses, Zeus and Athena and the Gods of Olympus. I don't remember who the publishers were but they did famous historical figures like the Venerable Bede, and Joan of Arc and Boadacia... loved them all and more, they were all so brave and courageous. Too many to think of but loved Noddy and Big Ears and other Enid Blyton stories too. Oh and what about all those bible stories? Loved them especially Cain and Abel, and Joseph's coat and Samson OMG so much more.

Am sorry that I missed so much like a lot of what I read above by authors I do not know about etc. The Narnia books must have been such a joy for the kids who read and read them today, I didn't and maybe should catch up now? Roal Dahl - nope not read hmmm how old am I tut tut!

Still, Treasure Island and Kim, and Jock of the Bushveldt and Gulliver's Travels were lots of fodder for little brains! I remember being so pleased when I could finally say BROBDIGNAG

What a joy a book is! What luck to be able to read!

As to having a favourite? Not possible for me to choose - but if I had to, it would be a close contest between Gulliver's Travels and Alice in Wonderland. Such imagination stretchers.

Thank you v v much for such a nice topic.
Cheers now
So many but these are at the top:

James and the Giant Peach
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Chronicles of Narnia (still my favorite)
Frog and Toad
Nancy Drew
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Yes, I too loved James and the Giant Peach. Roald Dahl was a favorite author. Fantastic characters and crazy adventures! So many hideous adults. I read James and the Giant Peach and the BFG aloud every year when I was an elementary school teacher.
I just started reading Riding Freedom, by Pam Munoz Ryan, with my children. (1998) My girls (4th graders) LOVE it. The book is based on the true life adventures of a woman in the mid-1800's who disguised herself as a boy (and later as a man) so she could leave her orphanage and work with horses. She later became wealthy, moved to California, and bought land. She returned to being a woman, and was the first woman to vote in the state of California.
© BellaOnline Forums