BellaOnline
Posted By: Cheshire Additives - 02/11/06 07:26 PM
I was wondering if any of you use additives to your soap? I'm speaking of olive oil, seeds (for exfoliation), powdered oatmeal, etc?
That's what I'm intending to do, and I was wondering about how your experiences have gone and if there's anything I just "need to know" before I attempt my first batch. Thanks!
Posted By: pcjewel_of_a_gal Re: Additives - 02/11/06 11:28 PM
I always use oils to "super-fatten" my soap. I've also added oatmeal (after grinding it up) and honey in my soaps. I've never experienced any problems, just make sure they're completely mixed in. I once had the oatmeal "floating" on the top of my bars.
Posted By: Cheshire Re: Additives - 02/11/06 11:45 PM
See, that's precisely why I had to ask. My Ex Husband has eczema, and when I first got into the idea of soapmaking I wanted to do the copycat of Aveeno's oatmeal soap. At 5 bucks a bar, it's tons cheaper at home. That and, I could sneak in other ingredients that would be great for his skin that he'd be too proud to use. For example:

I'm a HUGE fan of olive oil, I use a few capfulls in every bath I take. Exfoliate with a sugar scrub, toss the olive oil in and swish it around in the water - Baby soft skin when you step out. Just pat dry.

But speaking of a bath bar for myself, I'd like exfoliation and olive oil or other moisturizers in the same bar.

Any tips for a long lasting scent? I know if you add too much fragrance, the batch turns out horrid. But I was wondering if perhaps certain bases held fragrances better than others?
Posted By: alicat Re: Additives - 04/20/06 03:06 PM
try adding fragrance to a carrier oil first i usuall use around fifteen/twenty drops of fragrance to a batch which makes 40 bars.
additives oatmeal is great better in melt and pour a bit harsh in milled
you can use cocoa butter as a moisturiser add it at the heating procrss only heat in small doses flamable always add vit e when adding oli based items as stops going rancid
Posted By: soapbuddy Re: Additives - 11/12/06 02:05 AM
Have you tried making CP or HP soap?
Posted By: Kim - Paranormal Re: Additives - 03/23/07 06:26 PM
I make my own olive oil soap. I have added fruit, vegetables, herbs, essential oils, green tea, milk and baking soda to my soaps. My favorites? squash, honey, green tea, lemons and baking soda.
© BellaOnline Forums