logo
Thread Like Summary
Angie
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Mona - Astronomy
Mona - Astronomy
In the 2nd century in Alexandria, a great cultural center of the ancient world, Ptolemy wrote the astronomical work that we know as the Almagest. It included descriptions of 48 constellations. In the 20th century, the International Astronomical Union (IAU) listed 47 of Ptolemy's constellations plus 41 newer ones. Many of the constellations depict animals, both real and mythical. And in our time, some animals – not just humans – have gone into space.

Skyful of Animals - Quiz
Liked Replies
by Mona - Astronomy
Mona - Astronomy
Unless the constellations are drawn out for me, all I see are stars.

I'm with you on that, Angie. I can imagine Orion - just barely! - but nothing else. The asterisms make sense, e.g., the Big Dipper. Yep, I can see it easily as a dipper. Or as a plough, which it is in the British Isles. Or as a wagon, which it is in much of northern Europe. Yep - and a saucepan - as in France. However, it's part of the constellation of the Great Bear and the constellation doesn't remind me at all of a bear. It's also weird that it has a long tail, which bears don't have.
1 member likes this
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.