Page 36 of 62 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 61 62
Angie #936884 09/24/22 08:39 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.

Paul Lewis Boese

When we are hurt, forgiving the people at fault can be incredibly difficult; we’re wired to keep defenses up to protect ourselves from more pain. But anger, resentment, and hatred are damaging emotions to hold onto, and a source of pain in themselves. Forgiving someone doesn’t have to mean reconciliation — it doesn’t change or condone the wrongs that were done — but it does help us let go of that negativity to make room to heal and move on. It “enlarges the future,” as Paul Boese wrote in 1967. The American businessman and writer published many of his philosophical thoughts in a weekly quote magazine, and his words on forgiveness have been an inspiration to countless people in the decades since. They remind us that forgiveness isn’t an eraser; it’s a blank page, and a chance to write a happier future.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Angie #936886 09/25/22 08:09 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
The only lasting truth is change.

Octavia Butler

When she was nine years old, Octavia Butler saw a science fiction movie called “Devil Girl From Mars” and thought to herself: “I can write a better story than that.” She went on to become the first widely recognized Black female science fiction writer, publishing 12 novels in all. She was the only sci-fi writer ever to be awarded a MacArthur “Genius” Grant, which she added to her Nebula Award, Hugo Award, and PEN Lifetime Achievement Award. She used fiction to tell stories of deep truth, imparting wisdom that transcends genre, gender, or race. Even as the times have changed, her stories continue to entertain and enlighten.

Angie #936888 09/26/22 08:45 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

In 1892, St. James’s Theatre in London staged the first performance of Oscar Wilde’s four-act comedy “Lady Windermere’s Fan.” The play’s wildly improbable plot, following an upper-class woman who suspects her husband of having an affair, didn’t stop it from becoming the Irish playwright’s first hit. Theatergoers loved it, especially Wilde’s characteristically dazzling dialogue. The play gave us many of his most quotable lines, including “I can resist anything except temptation” and “Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.” But the most famous quote is this one, spoken by Lord Darlington to Mr. Dumby, a man who thinks all people are good. His simple but poignant observation about hope remains one of Wilde’s most succinct and beautiful lines.

Angie #936899 09/27/22 09:24 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.

T.S. Eliot

In 1931, when poet T.S. Eliot wrote this line in the preface to “Transit of Venus,” a collection of poems by poet Harry Crosby, he was likely pulling from Crosby’s past as both a World War I veteran and an artist. Eliot continued the line above by reflecting that “one has to be a very great poet to justify such perilous adventures.” It suggests that the road to reach our full capability can be perilous, but if we are strong enough to continue pushing forward into new and unknown territory, we’ll be rewarded with personal greatness.

Angie #936913 09/28/22 09:29 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Words are the clothing of our thoughts.

Jonathan Swift

Among the works of 18th-century Anglo Irish author and clergyman Jonathan Swift, none is more well known than “Gulliver's Travels.” In the 300 years since its publication, the story of Gulliver has been referenced in countless songs, movies, and television shows. Swift was a satirist raised on rationalism and committed to the strong morals of his faith. In his writing, descriptive passages not only served to illustrate elements of his stories, but also gave insight into the characters conveying the descriptions. In Swift’s hands, words were indeed the clothing of thoughts.

Angie #936914 09/28/22 09:39 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
R. (3) Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
Daily I call upon you, O LORD;
to you I stretch out my hands.
Will you work wonders for the dead?
Will the shades arise to give you thanks?

R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
Do they declare your mercy in the grave,
your faithfulness among those who have perished?
Are your wonders made known in the darkness,
or your justice in the land of oblivion?

R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
But I, O LORD, cry out to you;
with my morning prayer I wait upon you.
Why, O LORD, do you reject me;
why hide from me your face?

Angie #936917 09/29/22 04:06 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
The scariest moment is always just before you start.

Stephen King

Before his first book sold in 1973, Stephen King had to face down fear as he began each new short story and novel. Starting something new — be it a creative project, a relationship, or a major life change — can bring up many questions and doubts. But King reminds us that new beginnings offer something else: possibility. Having published over 60 bestselling novels to date, he embodies the payoff in just starting. After all, as King says, “After that, things can only get better.”

Angie #936926 09/30/22 08:58 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A

The heart is not like a box that gets filled up; it expands in size the more you love.

Spike Jonze

The sci-fi romance film “Her” was director Spike Jonze’s solo screenwriting debut, and it’s safe to say he knocked it out of the park. The movie, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson, was nominated for Best Picture in 2013 and won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. It tells the story of Theodore (Phoenix), a man who falls in love with his artificially intelligent assistant, Samantha (voiced by Johansson). Theodore represents two of the film’s main themes: loneliness and isolation. Samantha brings him a ray of hope and helps to alleviate his depression, offering support through lines like this one, which reminds us that there is no limit to our capacity for love.

Angie #936940 10/01/22 06:33 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it.

Eckhart Tolle

Spiritual guru Eckhart Tolle's bestselling book "The Power of Now," billed as a guide to spiritual enlightenment, encourages focusing on the present rather than fretting about the past or future. Tolle posits that being in control of the direction of one's life is an illusion, and one that often leads to anxiety and disappointment. Only through the acceptance of the present can we begin to overcome those negative feelings and enjoy wherever life has taken us, as if it had been our preferred path all along.

Angie #936951 10/03/22 04:20 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Grief is the price we pay for love.

Queen Elizabeth II

A source of inspiration for millions at home and overseas, Queen Elizabeth II was a symbol of perseverance throughout her 70 years on the throne. Her time as England's longest-reigning monarch saw her travel the globe, meet 13 U.S. Presidents, 15 British Prime Ministers, and four Catholic popes, and — despite her life of great privilege — experience significant tragedy. It was Her Majesty's ability to exude poise amid those difficult events that adds extra weight to this quote, which she wrote as part of an address to reassure Americans in the wake of the 9/11 attacks. Grief is a heavy emotion to bear, but the ability to feel a deep loss means we also experienced a profound sense of love. Through the pain, the sorrow can serve as a reminder of the indelible impact that those we cherish have on our lives.

Page 36 of 62 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 61 62

Moderated by  Yvonnie-Inspired 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.