Page 4 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 6 61 62
Angie #934869 07/24/21 08:04 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Marthe Troly-Curtin

This quote, from Marthe Troly-Curtin’s 1911 novel “Phrynette Married,” suggests that the things we love doing are rarely a waste of time — even if they might seem unimportant to others. In the book, the character of Phrynette is told she wasted her father’s time by having him concentrate on raising her rather than working. But Phrynette points out that raising a child brought her father pleasure, so how could that be a waste? It’s a reminder to listen to and trust our own hearts, being careful not to let other people define happiness and success for us.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Angie #934877 07/25/21 11:16 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Fall in love with the masterpiece, and also the paint on the floor.

Morgan Harper Nichols

Artist and writer Morgan Harper Nichols’ work often pairs poetry with abstract paintings in soft colors and shapes. Her work frequently tackles the in-between moments of life — like learning to sit with uncertainty, or offering ourselves kindness. Her artistic process, like this quote, also speaks to the acceptance of our messy parts: Nichols’ paintings often start from the landscape of a previous work, which she then paints over to create an entirely new piece. Here, Nichols asks us to value not just our best qualities, but also the imperfections that make each of us unique.

Angie #934882 07/26/21 01:42 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary.

Paulo Coelho

Paulo Coelho’s novel “The Alchemist” follows a young Andalusian shepherd on a journey to the Egyptian pyramids, where he believes he will find hidden treasure. These words are spoken by an old wise woman who warns him to not get carried away. Indeed, the shepherd sees and experiences many things on his journey, but the ones that affect him most are the simplest: falling in love, meeting a mentor, and discovering what home means to him. Coelho’s story serves as a lesson to us not to discount the smaller or less elaborate wonders of life: The fulfillment we get from them may surprise us.

Angie #934885 07/27/21 09:46 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
I don't know about this quote's suggestion. A person sure can get sidetracked and accomplish nothing.

When you run into something interesting, drop everything else and study it.

B. F. Skinner

In a 1956 issue of the medical journal “The American Psychologist,” Harvard professor and psychologist B. F. Skinner published an article in which he takes an alternate look at the scientific method. Instead of focusing on one subject in a formal setting, Skinner suggests taking things moment by moment and following whims to reach the best results. This approach can work wonders in everyday life as well. Following where our passion and curiosity may lead can open up a world of creativity and inspiration. We may even discover something completely new and fascinating just by breaking free of routine.

Angie #934892 07/28/21 09:49 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Patience may be a virtue, but it's a difficult one to cultivate — especially in a world that is moving ever-faster. Yet with this quote, Enlightenment-era philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau reminds us that patience also comes with great rewards. Such rewards are never instant, but can increase over time, like an investment that must be allowed to mature. Research suggests that people who cultivate patience experience better mental and even physical health, and have happier relationships with others over the course of their lives.

Angie #934903 07/30/21 10:02 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
an inspirational story -
Every Single Thing
"I just don’t know what my purpose, what my mission in this life is!," a friend wrote me in an e-mail recently. For some reason her letter awakened an old memory in me so I wrote her back and shared this with her.

When I was a young Dad my family was struggling just to get by. I was getting a few days work here and there as a substitute teacher. I was teaching every subject and every grade from kindergarten to seniors in high school. Then near the end of the school year I got called in at the last second to teach at a local grade school. I got there late worrying about the Summer to come and the lack of work it would bring. The class I got had a bad case of Summer break fever too. To say they were rambunctious would be understating it.

They were bouncing off their seats, talking in class, and not playing attention to anything I said. Finally, it was time for recess and I was as happy as they were to get outside the hot classroom. I watched them run and play and hoped it would wear them out so the afternoon wouldn’t be as tough as the morning had been on me. It was then, however, that a little girl ran up to me. She had a handful of freshly picked wild flowers. She reached a Daisy out to me and said, “This is for you, Mr. Mazzella.” In that second I felt a joy I hadn’t felt all day. I smiled and thanked her for her gift as she skipped happily away.

You see, in that instant that little girl had completed a part of her purpose here on Earth. In that second she had completed a moment of her mission. The truth is every single thing we do is a part of our purpose here. Every single thing we do is a part of our mission. God put us here to learn to love each other as He loves us. It is a life long process too, so stop worrying about your mission and your purpose. You are living them each and every day.

The same is true for all of us. May all your days then be full of life, learning, and love.

Angie #934907 07/31/21 08:40 AM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Remember Steel Magnolias?

I would rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.

Robert Harling

Robert Harling’s play and subsequent 1989 film “Steel Magnolias” focuses on a group of women living in a small town in the American South. One of them is Shelby (played by Julia Roberts in the movie), a type 1 diabetic whose condition makes childbearing dangerous. Determined to be a mother, she gets pregnant anyway. When her own mother (Sally Field) protests, she responds with these words above, choosing passing joy over what she worries will be an empty life. Not all our decisions may be as high-stakes as Shelby’s, but her intention serves as a worthy guide: We should always reach for what brings us fulfillment and wonder, regardless of the risk.

Angie #934911 08/01/21 02:57 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
There is so much to be grateful for, words are poor things.

Marilynne Robinson

The irony of this quote is that celebrated novelist Marilynne Robinson is known precisely for her ability to capture the human experience in graceful prose. Still, if words are poor things, perhaps it is because Robinson has so much to be grateful for. Since the 1980 publication of her debut novel “Housekeeping” (which won the PEN Award for Best First Novel), Robinson has gone on to write a dozen books and collect numerous awards including the Pulitzer Prize (for 2004's "Gilead"), the National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction, and the National Humanities Medal for her “grace and intelligence in writing.” This quote is a beautiful reminder for the rest of us, too: Taking time to appreciate all we have can be a powerful feeling.

Angie #934915 08/02/21 07:38 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
Nothing is worth more than laughter. It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light.

Frida Kahlo

It is the fate of many famous women to be known primarily for the tragedies in their lives, rather than for their lightness. Artist Frida Kahlo is often thought of in the context of her lifelong health travails and her torrid, sometimes violent romance with another larger-than-life Mexican painter, Diego Rivera. But, fiercely optimistic, Kahlo surrounded herself with beauty and brilliance — not only in the art for which she is so well known, but also in life. She had numerous friends and lovers. She painted her home a bright cobalt blue and called it Casa Azul. (Poet Carlos Pellicer said “the house … seems to lodge a bit of heaven.”) And she was deeply committed to social justice. “I must fight with all my strength so that the little positive things that my health allows me to do might be pointed toward helping the revolution,” she said. That was, for her, “the only real reason for living.”

Angie #934917 08/03/21 06:33 AM
C
C
Hi, “Don't let the expectations and opinions of other people affect your decisions. It's your life, not theirs. Do what matters most to you; do what makes you feel alive and happy. Don't let the expectations and ideas of others limit who you are. If you let others tell you who you are, you are living their reality — not yours. There is more to life than pleasing people. There is much more to life than following others' prescribed path. There is so much more to life than what you experience right now. You need to decide who you are for yourself. Become a whole being. Adventure.”

[url=https://cardgamesforadults.com/solitaire-card-games/]Card Game For Adult[/url]

Last edited by Cheap men glasses; 08/03/21 06:37 AM.
Page 4 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 6 61 62

Moderated by  Yvonnie-Inspired 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.