Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#596834 04/22/10 06:30 AM
D
didmac Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi Friends, I am didmac. What is PHP? how to work PHP? Which Software bring in PHP? I have no knowledge in PHP,Only PHP means Hyper Text Preprocessor... Where is it use? Thanks... seoservicesagency.com

Last edited by didmac; 04/22/10 06:31 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
didmac #596948 04/23/10 12:24 AM
Parakeet
Parakeet
There's a good, short description in this article on the php site.

Julie

Hi didmac. I don't know what PHP actually stands for, but for daily use PHP is basically programming for websites: where standard HTML web pages are static: you get the same page over and over again, PHP allows you to 'detect' input parameters and modify the output web page accordingly. For instance: you want the viewer of your website to click a picture thumbnail to see a different page with a big version of your picture. in standard HTML you would do something like this: file imagethumbnails.html: .... <a href="imagebig_pictureGranny.html"><image src="thumbnailpic_Granny.jpg"><h5>Click me to see a bigger image</h5></a><br> <a href="imagebig_pictureUncleJohn.html"><image src="thumbnailpic_UncleJohn.jpg"><h5>Click me to see a bigger image</h5></a><br> <a href="imagebig_GrannyAndJohn.html"><image src="thumbnailpic_GrannyAndJohn.jpg"><h5>Click me to see a bigger image</h5></a><br> .... In this example you call a different page for each of the 3 images to show, where the only thing different between the pages is the picture they display Using a PHP page for the big images, you can use the same page over and over: file imagethumbnails_with_php.html .... <a href="imagebig.php?image=Granny.jpg"><image src="thumbnailpic_Granny.jpg"><h5>Click me to see a bigger image</h5></a><br> <a href="imagebig.php?image=UncleJohn.jpg"><image src="thumbnailpic_UncleJohn.jpg"><h5>Click me to see a bigger image</h5></a><br> <a href="imagebig.php?image=GrannyAndJohn.jpg"><image src="thumbnailpic_GrannyAndJohn.jpg"><h5>Click me to see a bigger image</h5></a><br> .... See how we just have one page: imagebig.php which will display 3 different big images depending on the value of the '?image=' tag. For just 3 iamges, this may not be such big of a deal, but the same PHP file that just replaced 3 html files can be used for all the thumbnails in your site, regardless if there are 3, 4, 30 or even 400. You can make PHP pages for almost every web page, just think of what parameters you need to make your page unique and then giving them along in the page header. We already seen the picture example but there are myriads of other options: a href="playmusic.php?song=unchainedmelody.mp3" a href="selectbooks.php?genre=thriller&author=king" a href="displaycalendar.php?name=msmith&date=10-24-2010&showmeetings=true&showsalescalls=true&showreviews=false" Giving parameters along with the command line is only one option: parameters can be specified in several other ways such as through forms: ....... <!-- Start of FORM --> <form method="POST" action="showbig.php"> <input name="image" type="radio" value="granny.jpg" checked>Granny blows out the birthday cake<br> <input name="image" type="radio" value="uncleJohn.jpg" >uncle John<br> <input name="image" type="radio" value="grannyAndEthel.jpg">Granny and Aunt Ethel<br> <input name="image" type="radio" value="grannyAndJohn.jpg">Granny and Uncle John<br> <input type="submit" value ="Show this image"> </form> <!-- End of FORM --> ... (Other ways of passing along parameters are through cookies, text files or databases.) I used PHP for the first time to build a photo album, like the one mentioned above. Currently I use it to build and send e-cards, display puzzle applets and even send e-mails. Yes, the possibilities are may be not endless, but they are out there yours, 'Niklas

Tiger
Tiger
Hi Niklas o'B..., and welcome to the BellaOnline Forum. Glad to see you have started to post!

S
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
S
Well I'm impressed. I read the reply from Niklas 3 times and still have no idea what PHP is.

Sandy Eggers
BellaOnline Golf Website Forum
BellaOnline Tennis Website Forum
Tiger
Tiger
fishPHP is a powerful tool for making dynamic and interactive Web pages.

Was not sure myself, but did a google search.

Quite a bit of info out there. I posted just a "little" of the info I found.

Frankly, I don't know what PHP is either. I only know what it can do and how to write it so it does the stuff -mostly- For me that's enough. So for me, PHP is a way to take a lot of html web pages that only differ in one or two details and instead write ONE php page where you give the detail along. This might be a bit of extra work for writing just one or two pages, but after that, it starts to pay off. Just look at the puzzle pages at my own site www.Sockdragger.net Instead of having to make a new page for each puzzle, PHP enabled me to make just one page and then use that one for every puzzle anew 'Niklas

didmac #934393 05/01/21 02:46 AM
R
Amoeba
Amoeba
R
PHP is a server side scripting language. that is used to develop Static websites or Dynamic websites or Web applications. PHP stands for Hypertext Pre-processor, that earlier stood for Personal Home Pages. PHP scripts can only be interpreted on a server that has PHP installed.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.