Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
some people are just artistic - layout of a garden; design; artistry.... and some are not.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello there,

Oh no Angie, I disagree! Each and every gardener is creative and has a style of their own. Could be that they haven't tested it yet, and if this is the case then a person can 'borrow' looks and ideas and style from a million places including the next door garden, magazines and books and photographs, the nursery and garden centres, and just plain thinking about how to use what you like.

I suppose you could say some people are better ballet dancers than others, or better at crafting whatever, so I guess you would be right in some way, still, I believe there is a way for every one to be a 'ballet dancer' or crafter or whatever.

Gardening is such a satisfying past-time, lucky us!

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
CONTAINER GARDENING TIP OF THE DAY

If you are a budget gardener (and aren't we all?) then look out for the clearance sales at nurseries and garden centres and shops whenever the seasons change. I guess you know this, as we are all aware of the pleasure finding a bargain gives, but this comment made tip status because many times we think we will do something that we ought to want to do but end up not doing anything in time.

There is always so much to do, but please put a 'trip to your centre/shop' on your 'to do' list now.

Plant bargains may look tired but with your care will bounce back in the new season. Of course you will know which plants are worth saving and buying, but essentially don't be put off by a few scrappy leaves or lack of flowers. Sometimes too, there may be plants on sale that you have never thought of or grown before and which will make a great addition to your container space.

Go and save a plant or two soon ... these 'green kids' are worth it!

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Not everybody likes everybody and it's the same with plants too! Companion planting is a well-known subject and worthy of study for anyone serious about getting the best container gardens they can.

Are you growing green beans? Do you have or have you had a bean teepee? Well if you are planning to grow some in the summer then be careful not to plant them too close to any member of the onion family, they just don't get on well. Also, don't plant them close to or with dill, fennel or garlic (even though these three are great for cooking/flavouring beans).

Good companions? Yes, beans get on well with beetroot, carrots, nasturtiums, peppers, strawberries and winter savory.

So, plan to add beans to your veggie containers, they are easy to grow and the harvest is worth your while.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Daylilies (Hemerocallis) are well suited to growing in containers and while there are small varieties available (better for pots) the smallest size container you should use is a gallon.

Anyway, did you know that the flowers are edible? The tastes vary from sweet to floral to a bit astringent and metallic, depending on the hybrids you plant. Traditionally it is the buds that are used in Chinese cooking, stir-fries and hot and sour soups. You get Japanese tempura (oh how I wish I could do this light and crispy delicious trick in the kitchen!) and if you remove the stamens and pistils you can stuff the flower with something savoury and saute it/them. It is so pretty too that you can add the flowers to desserts, salads or use them to dolly up cocktails.

They are evergreen so, even when they are not in flower, they will not let your container garden down and can be used as a backdrop filler.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Allow the foliage of any spring bulbs to go yellow and die back naturally. Of course this is not easy when you have containers on show. Still, this is best practice. Maybe you can hide the pots behind a screen? Ask a friend to keep them in her garden for you? Anyway, continue to feed and water those bulbs that you want to dig up once the foliage has gone. Letting the leaves die back at their own pace and watering and feeding in the meantime will allow the bulbs to store food for their next season

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Here is a tip from Jessica Carson ex-Container Gardening Editor for Bellaonline.

I don't get these kinds of severe winters where I live so I thought that for those who do it would be useful to pass this on to you all again. Of course, there are many who do not have a garden per se, but for those who do she says:

If you live in an area with severe winters, consider burying your dormant plants to prevent the roots from freezing. The “Minnesota Tip” method may sound severe, but it may be the only way to winter over your roses, maples, hydrangeas, and other hardy deciduous shrubs and trees.

Dig a trench at least 15 inches deep (deeper, if needed, so that the entire pot will be buried when laying on its side) and as wide at the plant. Wrap or tie the branches of the tree together and tip the plant and container on its side into the trench. Cover with burlap, then cover completely with a 12-24 inch thick layer of mulch of straw or leaves. Top this off with a plastic tarp and rocks to hold it all in place. In the spring when the soil starts to thaw, dig out the plant, set it in a protected area of your garden and start watering. If it is fairly hardy it may very well reward you with new growth.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

As you know, many plants growing in pots may need to be watered as often as twice a day. To keep plants adequately cool and moist during the very hot summer days … ‘double pot’. Double-potting means putting one smaller container inside another larger one (preferably the same design) and filling the space between them with newspaper (frugal) or sphagnum moss/coir. I have used small bark mulch with success too. When you water the plant also water the filler – it certainly helps cool down and protect roots too.

Of course, any of the tips given here in this forum will depend on the kind of container garden you have ... but they all work, that's a promise!

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Why not follow the song .... Parsley Sage, Rosemary and Thyme? Next up then is:

SAGE - Quick Facts

Sage is okay with everyday soil. Needs good drainage. Allow 30-40 space between seedlings (the plant will grow 30-50 cms high). You can use leaves, flowers and sprigs and you can propagate from seed and cuttings. It really does not like wet feet' and loves full sun.

Medicinal uses include: Make a tea with the leaves and use as a gargle for sore throats, coughs, colds. It can be used as an antiseptic and even helps with memory. I wonder if this last use has anything to do with being a sage person and a wise one?

In the kitchen, well, who doesn't like sage stuffing with the Sunday toast? It can also be used in stir fries, a secret ingredient in the stuffing for home-made sausages, add to the marinade for meats and in sauces for vegetables.

How are you doing with growing herbs in your containers?

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

There is often a pest hanging around in life not so? Ah well, I guess pests bring a balance of sorts … like when they say a weed is just a plant they haven’t found a use for. Anyway – a good idea is to check your plants regularly for evidence of pests. It could be that you don’t or can’t see them, but they are there because you see the evidence, you may have holes in leaves, nibbled blooms, foliage that looks like lace and not leaf, curling or twisted leaves and more.

Some pests are easy to get rid of, others need more attention but you need to treat each case correctly. Plants are like us, when they are clean, neat, in good soil, have the right conditions, watered just so and etc., they don’t invite unwelcome guests, they don’t get sick easily. But when your plants are weak, undernourished, under-watered and they are pesty, well, I think that proves that aphids and mealie bugs (and their friends) are intelligent, they know just where to go!

Try to treat your containers organically, avoid chemicals, use natural sprays and systemic pest control products whenever possible.

Lestie Mulholland

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.