Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

Doesn't everyone know that in the 15th century people thought the Earth was flat? And that brave Christopher Columbus sailed westward from Spain to get to Asia to show that the Earth was round? Once I'd have answered “Yes” to both of these questions, but it turns out that they are myths.

Columbus and the Flat Earth Myth

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

On October 12, 2015, I was in Trondheim, the Viking capital of Norway, on an astronomy voyage. A statue of of Leif Erikson lies not far from where the ship docked.

I couldn't link to my colleague's photo from Facebook, so the above picture is from the internet. But he wrote:
Leif Erikson looks out from Trondheim waterfront towards the island of Munkholmen. Erikson reputedly set sail from Trondheim in AD 1000 on the voyage on which he discovered North America, which he named Vinland, some 500 years before Columbus. And he did it while wearing a leather mini-skirt, it would seem. The Leif Erikson Society of Seattle gave this statue to the city of Trondheim in 1997 to mark the thousand-year anniversaries of the founding of Trondheim and Leif’s voyage to America.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Stands to reason that the Norse would find North America. All they had to do was follow the coastline. They decided not to stay in N.,A. as everything that they found here was plentiful in Norway. They didn't stay and I don't know that there are records that they met anyone while they were here. Do you know?

I took in 3 great talks on Columbus. Now he crossed the Atlantic; underestimated the distances, had no idea where he was and discovered a New World. Granted he was an explorer not a governor but he was not genocidal as so many claim. The speakers talked about his diaries as a great source of information.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.